Tom Bauerle (Monday Afternoon) says the Bills may be next for a name change

boater

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This thread is crazy.  

Redskins changed their name because it was a derogatory name.  

Buffalo Bill Cody is known for supplyIng food and for entertainment.  His family was also very against slavery and his dad paid his life for it.  In almost every recollection of the life of Bill Cody, there is nothing sinister.  His life was sensationalized by a book early in his life and he capitalized on that to become a legend with his traveling show.

At the end of the day, literally nobody in their right mind is coming after the Bills to change their name, nor should they, as their is nothing disrespectful or sinister about it.  

I know we are all open to dialogue, BUT I honestly and truly think Alpha just wrapped this whole thing up nicely with the above.  

An easy period and what I would have been very comfortable with being the last post of this topic.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I know we are all open to dialogue, BUT I honestly and truly think Alpha just wrapped this whole thing up nicely with the above.  

An easy period and what I would have been very comfortable with being the last post of this topic.

Alas, that’s not how we roll..?‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

My point is the mob is calling for cancellation of all sorts of things equally as ridiculous as innocuous team names.

Definitely agree with that.  But, in all fairness...some of things being called for are warranted and valid.  But yes, its definitely gotten way over the top to the point its way more ridiculous stuff trying the cancelled than anything that should be addressed.    

Examples of something valid:  Confederate flag should be cancelled.  Its a symbol of the pursuit of slavery, lynchings, etc.  Just because the south conveniently forgot its true history and adopted it as part of their "culture" doesn't change its meaning to those it opposed.  You don't see Nazi flags flying in Germany for example.  But you see Nazi's here flying the Confederate Flag for a reason.  Redskins name to me was valid given its a derogatory term to native Americans.  

Examples of something utterly stupid:  Trying to cancel Tom Morello for being "political" because a bunch of idiots didn't understand the word "machine" in the name of his band "Rage against the Machine" was talking about government and not something like a washing machine.  Or trying to cancel some business because that businesses parent company has one dude in it who made a donation to the political party or campaign they oppose.  Or tying to cancel Robert Downey Jr for wearing black face in a movie from more than a decade ago that the role required him to wear black face...which was also a backhanded jab at the movie industry's reputation for giving white people roles of ethnic characters and should actually be something they supported.

Like I said, many many more examples of stupid things people are trying to cancel though.  Its out of control

• Like (+1) 3