Tom Bauerle (Monday Afternoon) says the Bills may be next for a name change

boater

2 hours ago, iinii said:

As long as you leave out the Native Americans he fought, killed, and scalped.....

Scouts don't do much fighting if any, 

And if you're talkin wartime, it's wartime.. both sides are killing each other

Bill Cody made natives very rich taking them around the world

19 minutes ago, Old Coot said:

On a related note, no one knows why the city is called Buffalo.  I don't think that buffalo ever ranged in WNY.  I know that someone will point out that the city is named after Buffalo Creek but that just shifts the question to how did the creek get its name.

I once read an after-dinner speech by Grover Cleveland delivered about 1885 on this issue.  I can't find it on the web now but here's a link that includes much of what was in that speech:

https://owlcation.com/humanities/How-Buffalo-New-York-got-its-Name

Basically the origin story is it's a French translation of beau fleuve (pronounced bo-flu

Beautiful river

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Scouts don't do much fighting if any, 

And if you're talkin wartime, it's wartime.. both sides are killing each other

Bill Cody made natives very rich taking them around the world

So as long as you make people rich , all is forgiven? It was most definitely war.  Scalping Yellow Hair was just all in a days work is a bit of a trivial way of looking through the lens of history. Cody’s hands had plenty of blood on them. 

3 hours ago, iinii said:

So as long as you make people rich , all is forgiven? It was most definitely war.  Scalping Yellow Hair was just all in a days work is a bit of a trivial way of looking through the lens of history. Cody’s hands had plenty of blood on them. 

You do realize natives scalped Americans too?

And during wartime especially in the 1800 nothing's off the table during fighting

If he want around raping women and children it be a different story, he was a scout in the military

He did his job

6 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

You do realize natives scalped Americans too?

And during wartime especially in the 1800 nothing's off the table during fighting

If he want around raping women and children it be a different story, he was a scout in the military

He did his job

How do you know he didn’t do those things? Were you there? History has never been sanitized to suit a narrative of the rich and powerful. 

18 minutes ago, iinii said:

How do you know he didn’t do those things? Were you there? History has never been sanitized to suit a narrative of the rich and powerful. 

Nobody knows for sure. But besides football my life's passion is history

And he did and said plenty of good things about native Americans.. and helped out a bunch

If he committed war crimes, I would never stick up for that

On 7/21/2020 at 8:00 PM, Limeaid said:

I always think as bob like poodles' tails - bobbed off.  Not good idea.

Maybe Billy Buffalo can be bobbed.

Bells on bobtail ring??

I always think of the woman's haircut myself.

I was kidding anyway.  Buffalo Bills is just fine by me!

On 7/21/2020 at 7:11 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Nobody knows for sure. But besides football my life's passion is history

And he did and said plenty of good things about native Americans.. and helped out a bunch

If he committed war crimes, I would never stick up for that

So, would you consider scalping someone a war crime? 

And is killing over 4000 Bison, which the Sioux depended on for their way of life, helping out?

12 minutes ago, iinii said:

And is killing over 4000 Bison, which the Sioux depended on for their way of life, helping out?

Dude you can go back in history and find not good things that every single person alive has done. Every single person

Native Americans used to scalp Europeans during war, it's wartime in the 1800s

There is nothing gentleman about war in that time.  He was not committing genocide

And getting into debates about killing animals leads nowhere . It was done way before Bill Cody, and way after

he wasn't the only one killing bison, and he did not almost make them go extinct

he was hired by the railroads to feed the workers, so that's why he went on that spree and killed four thousand bison..

He wasn't killing them for fun and he did not almost kill them all..  wildlife experts agree that Bisons were dying off due to disease en mass and not slaughter

It would have been impossible for American hunters, to wipe out over 60 million bison over hundreds of thousands of square miles.. it was disease

Edited by Buffalo716

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Dude you can go back in history and find not good things that every single person alive has done. Every single person

There is nothing gentleman about war in that time.  He was not committing genocide

And getting into debates about killing animals leads nowhere . It was done way before Bill Cody, and way after

he wasn't the only one killing bison

No Bison good thing they can always fall back on mammoths. Though purposefully hunting bison to extinction was ***** up, though Cody becoming a conservationist who'd advocate for hunting seasons likely regretted what happened with them.

6 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

No Bison good thing they can always fall back on mammoths. Though purposefully hunting bison to extinction was ***** up, though Cody becoming a conservationist who'd advocate for hunting seasons likely regretted what happened with them.

It's actually a scientific fact he didn't almost hunt them to Extinction. That is new age propaganda

there was over 60 million bison in hundreds of thousands of square miles. And Bill Cody only killed 4,000 to feed railroad workers... That is actually what happened

Bisons died out in Mass due to disease, not hunting, that's the truth

Cody did not kill nearly enough to drive anything to Extinction

Edited by Buffalo716

11 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

It's actually a scientific fact he didn't almost hunt them to Extinction. That is new age propaganda

there was over 60 million bison in hundreds of thousands of square miles. And Bill Cody only killed 4,000 to feed railroad workers... That is actually what happened

Bisons died out in Mass due to disease, that's the scientific fact

I didn't mean just him.

General Sherman remarked, in conversation the other day, that the quickest way to compel the Indians to settle down to civilized life was to send ten regiments of soldiers to the plains, with orders to shoot buffaloes until they became too scarce to support the redskins.

3 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I didn't mean just him.

Sure , we killed some Bison

But like I said, Americans did not drive them to Extinction, they did not kill 60 million bison.. today we know it was way more disease than actual hunting

We didn't have the manpower out there to kill 60 million bison. 

And there's tons of other food out there on the plains to hunt, including antelope and deer. We maybe killed tens of thousands of bison, not tens of millions

And disease did the rest

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

he wasn't the only one killing bison, and he did not almost make them go extinct

he was hired by the railroads to feed the workers, so that's why he went on that spree and killed four thousand bison..

He wasn't killing them for fun and he did not almost kill them all..  wildlife experts agree that Bisons were dying off due to disease en mass and not slaughter

It would have been impossible for American hunters, to wipe out over 60 million bison over hundreds of thousands of square miles.. it was disease

You seem to have trouble with the idea that you can’t be on both sides of the fence. 

2 hours ago, iinii said:

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Bisons died out in Mass due to disease, not hunting, that's the truth

Cody did not kill nearly enough to drive anything to Extinction

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Sure , we killed some Bison

But like I said, Americans did not drive them to Extinction, they did not kill 60 million bison.. today we know it was way more disease than actual hunting

We didn't have the manpower out there to kill 60 million bison. 

So I figured I'd pop in to see what was keeping this little thread going....

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

No mention of disease here.  

https://www.flatcreekinn.com/bison-americas-mammal/

But it is mentioned here. 

https://www.tsln.com/news/a-unique-study-of-bison-populations/