The War on Whiteness

On 7/12/2020 at 3:54 PM, Rob's House said:

Of course. I don't know how any rational person could claim otherwise without using some impossibly broad interpretation of the term.

We ended segregation and even instituted unconstitutional affirmative action measures to give minorities preferential treatment. 

If you've got an argument for the proposition that blacks were subject to systemic racial discrimination in the year 2000 I'd love to hear it.

But now you're changing your words.  You didn't say systemic racial discrimination.  You said:

On 7/10/2020 at 1:00 AM, Rob's House said:

In the interim we will regress to a form of racial discrimination similar to that which we emerged from in the 20th century.

Tell me, since you seem to believe that racial discrimination ended in the 20th century:  do you know when blacks were no longer attacked simply for being black during the 20th century?  Because being attacked based on the color of ones skin is a form of racial discrimination.  

As you can see from the above Tweet, blacks are still being attacked just for being black.  

17 minutes ago, Capco said:

But now you're changing your words.  You didn't say systemic racial discrimination.  You said:

Tell me, since you seem to believe that racial discrimination ended in the 20th century:  do you know when blacks were no longer attacked simply for being black during the 20th century?  Because being attacked based on the color of ones skin is a form of racial discrimination.  

As you can see from the above Tweet, blacks are still being attacked just for being black.  

I didn't see that it was just for being black. I read that there was a confrontation where a slur was used. He said/she said aside, the attack didn't look justified by any means. The dude looks a loser. I'm sincerely confused by one thing though. This woman is white?

1p12p3pp-1200x799.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Capco said:

I have no idea whether the incident in the video was racially motivated or not, as very few facts have been disclosed. Regardless, posting an isolated incident of a white man (the woman looks hispanic?) attacking a black woman is no more proof of widespread racisim among whites than showing a video of a black person attacking a white person and claiming widespread racism among blacks.

Why does every individual act have to be turned into some sweeping generalization of a group. There are bad people of all races who do bad things - you just watched a couple of them in that video. Why can we just not hold them accountable for what they did and not attribute their qualities to everyone else?

2 minutes ago, LB3 said:

I didn't see that it was just for being black. I read that there was a confrontation where a slur was used. He said/she said aside, the attack didn't look justified by any means. The dude looks a loser. I'm sincerely confused by one thing though. This woman is white?

1p12p3pp-1200x799.jpg

So then, this situation aside (since the motives are debatable), do you also believe that racial discrimination (such as attacking people for the color of their skin) ended at some point during the 20th century?  

2 minutes ago, Capco said:

So then, this situation aside (since the motives are debatable), do you also believe that racial discrimination (such as attacking people for the color of their skin) ended at some point during the 20th century?  

Not at all. There will always be racist #######s. Racism just isn't always the ultimate factor in altercations or results.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, LB3 said:

Not at all. There will always be racist #######s. Racism just isn't always the ultimate factor in altercations or results.

I agree. 

Now I'd like Rob to correct himself and say the same thing.  

Just now, Capco said:

My stance is racism exists, just as do so many other forms of biases and prejudices. Human beings are human beings. However, the racism of today is not the racism of 2000, or the racism of 1960, or the racism of 1920, etc.

I do not believe there is "systemic racism" running through all agencies and aspects of our society.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Capco said:

I agree. 

Now I'd like Rob to correct himself and say the same thing.  

I will addend by saying that I agree with Rob that racial discrimination as a major issue in need of political remedy ended in the 20th century.

I think that the perception of systemic racism is still there, despite most evidence to the contrary.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

My stance is racism exists, just as do so many other forms of biases and prejudices. Human beings are human beings. However, the racism of today is not the racism of 2000, or the racism of 1960, or the racism of 1920, etc.

I do not believe there is "systemic racism" running through all agencies and aspects of our society.

A completely reasonable take even if we disagree about systemic racism.  

For the record, I don't believe it is running through ALL agencies and aspects of our societies.  But it's certainly prevalent at various points in specific institutions (imo).  

6 hours ago, Tiberius said:

No, they just have the law enforced on them more. Rural America is awash in drugs and crime. Blacks are not the ones ODing like crazy on opioids. 

So by this logic the black communities are getting more help by the police trying to get the drugs off the street while Billy Bob Redneck is allowed to get and ingest his opioids  until he dies?  

6 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Good intentions to punish one group more than another? Wow. 

Where you see "punish" the reasonable person sees "help".

3 minutes ago, LB3 said:

I will addend by saying that I agree with Rob that racial discrimination as a major issue in need of political remedy ended in the 20th century.

I think that the perception of systemic racism is still there, despite most evidence to the contrary.

I think most of us here have heard of redlining by now.  

Redlining, despite being outlawed for decades, still has lingering effects within the black community.  Those effects could be curtailed with new legislation. 

Why do you think that situation isn't in need of a political remedy?  

19 minutes ago, Capco said:

Yes racism exits.  Always has, always will.  What does the linked video have to do with it?  

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

Yes racism exits.  Always has, always will.  What does the linked video have to do with it?  

We're already past the video Jim.  But thank you for your contribution.  

7 minutes ago, bilzfancy said:

anti-Semitism is on the rise (again) , a form of racism, that few are talking about, and is very dangerous to those of the Jewish faith. Why is there no one in the streets protesting this?

we are busy working.    

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Capco said:

I think most of us here have heard of redlining by now.  

Redlining, despite being outlawed for decades, still has lingering effects within the black community.  Those effects could be curtailed with new legislation. 

Why do you think that situation isn't in need of a political remedy?  

I'll honestly have to look into it. I've seen contradictory things about the prevalence now.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I didn't say those things and you know it, so quit being a d**k and engage in honest dialogue, like an adult.

If you were the Police Chief and 75% of all of the violent crime in your jurisdiction existed in a 10 block area, and most of that violent crime revolved around control of drugs:

1) How would you allocate your resources?

2) Would steps would you take to reduce the problem?

I am engaging in honest conversation and you are making excuses for obviously racist laws. They didn’t throw blacks in jail with tougher sentences for them to help them, that’s ridiculous. 

Should the drug squads descend on Appalachia to punish, I mean help, the poor there deal with opioids? Through them all in jail. 

5 minutes ago, Capco said:

We're already past the video Jim.  But thank you for your contribution.  

They why did you feel it necessary to quote a post of their mug shots and then proceed to ask if racism still exists?  What does the story have to do with your question? 

And here in my 60 + years of experience, I have seen these virtues in men and women of ALL cultures, if they are truly are capable and self-respecting individuals.

Telling me it is a sign of White Culture sounds pretty racist

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2