'13th' A Netflix Documentary

Would you be willing to watch a factual documentary about post slavery America that shows it's truly ugly side?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be willing to watch the Netflix documentary '13th' and learn some things you CERTAINLY never knew about America?

• Yes, I am willing to learn things that may even make me uncomfortable.
    • No, it's the past and shouldn't be a big deal. It has zero effect on today's America.
    • I am sure I already know every thing that's in the doc, no need to watch
    • I really don't care about the terrible things America has done and don't want to hear any more about it!

**IF YOU ARE WHITE AND THINK SYSTEMIC RACISM IS A MYTH, GO WATCH THE NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY '13TH'. ITS FILLED WITH VERIFIABLE FACTS THAT WILL FINALLY OPEN YOUR EYES & ITS MAINLY TOLD BY WHITE PEOPLE. HERE IS A SHORT ONE MINUTE CLIP **

Many whites become uncomfortable with giving any sort of thought that their country isnt the squeaky clean 'Home of the Free' and 'Greatest Country on Earth' that they want to believe it to be. I wanted to get the ALL CAPS info out first because many wont make it through this entire post. In fact, I have probably already lost a decent percentage. This is for the people who want TRUTH. The REAL, unadulterated TRUTH. Not some conspiracy theory, or something made up in peoples heads, but actual factual information that any intelligent being would  digest and reach the same conclusion that once you realize the way America has done black people throughout history, coupled with the number of old white men still in power, one can only surmise that it would be near impossible to claim that all remnants of black oppression has been cleaned from law and a system designed with holding back the black man in mind. BUT FIRST YOU HAVE TO LEARN WHAT HISTORY CLASS WOULDNT DARE TEACH YOU!!!!

So at this present time of a sudden awakening of my white brethren...many white folks I associate with have reached out to me after seeing my Facebook posts (which basically called out any white people I know to choose a side, either commit to being a part of the problem or the solution) and would ask what they can do to be part of the solution. I tell all of them the same thing; "Go watch the Netflix documentary '13th' and come back and tell me what you think." I must say...Im SHOCKED but yet not at all surprised the number coming back to me saying they had no idea about most of what happened. As a black man, who grew up with parents who forced me to learn the REAL HISTORY of America, I am just now fully realizing that most white people my age and younger are mostly CLUELESS about the real history of this country as it relates to its dealing with my people. 

This has caused me to have an epiphany...many white folks I once deemed racist are actually just ignorant. They have been fooled and miseducated by the same system designed to oppress black people in this country. I challenge all white people who have a hard time believing the claims of black people about what we deal with in a society as a whole to watch this documentary. Realize why black people, especially black men were intentionally criminalized in the media and intentionally skewed data. But that only if you want real truth. Those who wish to remain in their comfort zone of ignorance will do so regardless, and thats the worst type of racist of them all.

(sorry for any typos or grammar mistakes, I normally proof read posts this long but its too late for that. Im sure you get my point)

Edited by StHustle
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Here is just a TINY nugget from the documentary. Listen to Lee Atwater, RONALD REGAN'S CAMPAIGN STRATEGIST caught on tape. This is not ancient history folks, dont be ignorant and think this same thinking isnt being applied even today. This is proof the politicians are very cognizant of needing to mask the oppressive system best they can but still carry on the American Way that has existed for centuries:

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, StHustle said:

Here is just a TINY nugget from the documentary. Listen to Lee Atwater, RONALD REGAN'S CAMPAIGN STRATEGIST caught on tape. This is not ancient history folks, dont be ignorant and think this same thinking isnt being applied even today. This is proof the politicians are very cognizant of needing to mask the oppressive system best they can but still carry on the American Way that has existed for centuries:

If this is your smoking gun to try to prove what you are saying, you swung and missed.

Cutting taxes = dog whistle for racism. LOL

19 minutes ago, StHustle said:

This depicts our reality. Im 37 and even as a youth i remember feeling this exact same way as this little boy:

All three short videos which I gave the benefit of the doubt, discredited your efforts.

17 minutes ago, Magox said:

If this is your smoking gun to try to prove what you are saying, you swung and missed.

Cutting taxes = dog whistle for racism. LOL

All three short videos which I gave the benefit of the doubt, discredited your efforts.

So a video of the campaign strategist of an eventual president expressing tactics of how law can be used to hurt black people mean nothing to you. That is a clear indication of willful ignorance. You can hear or see factual evidence but will willingly play dumb like your brain cant process what you actually just saw or heard. Dismiss it as nothing.

You see a video of a young black boy feeling the need to have to hide his very existence as police ride by.......and you blow it off as no big deal, or some sort of delusion that we have created on our own due from years of justifiable police actions.

So at least 1 of 3 things apply to you:

1. You are ignorant of the facts, refuse to learn and enjoy shutting down the idea that the facts exist to make you feel better about yourself

2. You know the facts but feel like "they aren't that bad" which shows the type of person you are

Someone like you would never sit through an American history documentary such as 13th. You cannot handle the truth. The lie works better for you so you choose the blue pill.

27 minutes ago, westside2 said:

Oh the guilt!!!

Not!

Yes most racists feel no guilt about their feelings. That is an important ingredient to allow them to sleep at night after treating another race of human beings like animals all day.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, StHustle said:

So a video of the campaign strategist of an eventual president expressing tactics of how law can be used to hurt black people mean nothing to you. That is a clear indication of willful ignorance. You can hear or see factual evidence but will willingly play dumb like your brain cant process what you actually just saw or heard. Dismiss it as nothing.

You see a video of a young black boy feeling the need to have to hide his very existence as police ride by.......and you blow it off as no big deal, or some sort of delusion that we have created on our own due from years of justifiable police actions.

1. You are ignorant of the facts, refuse to learn and enjoy shutting down the idea that the facts exist to make you feel better about yourself

2. You know the facts but feel like "they aren't that bad" which shows the type of person you are

Someone like you would never sit through an American history documentary such as 13th. You cannot handle the truth. The lie works better for you so you choose the blue pill.

Yes most racists feel no guilt about their feelings. That is an important ingredient to allow them to sleep at night after treating another race of human beings like animals all day.

Most racists likes to use a broad brush when making racist comments. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, westside2 said:

Most racists likes to use a broad brush when making racist comments. 

Ahh yes the reverse racism card. I can lay out all the facts and evidence of an actual real racist system at play and will be accused of being a racist myself for doing so OR for calling a spade a spade.

For you to feel the need to respond to this thread that's discussing very real, very evil, very sensitive subject matter and say "Oh the guilt!!! Not!" is clearly some racist pos type of stuff. Not calling YOU that but that action definitely was. I hope you are just an ignorant little kid being immature.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Ahh yes the reverse racism card. I can lay out all the facts and evidence of an actual real racist system at play and will be accused of being a racist myself for doing so OR for calling a spade a spade.

For you to feel the need to respond to this thread that's discussing very real, very evil, very sensitive subject matter and say "Oh the guilt!!! Not!" is clearly some racist pos type of stuff. Not calling YOU that but that action definitely was. I hope you are just an ignorant little kid being immature.

Lay out all of your facts and evidence as presented to prove your point.* 

Not to say they’re wrong, and I appreciate the effort and will take another look when I have more time to actually watch the clips, but don’t assume that your 500 word post with 3 sources has cured an intense debate that is raging within our society and then accuse people of racism when they aren’t willing to swallow it hook line and sinker. Especially not when your OP is has a pretty strong attitude of “us versus them.”:  “most white people wont even read this.” “My people.” And your last line insinuating that those who don’t agree or give some credence to what you’ve posted are the “worst kind of racist there is. Furthermore, don’t be surprised if people don’t jump to agree with your post when it’s very slanted to your side of the coin without acknowledging the counter argument and view point or engaging it at all. 

And it really seems like you are calling him racist: “I’m not saying you’re a racist, but everything you just said is exactly what a racist would say.” Be honest. If you think he’s racist, say it. As you say, call a spade a spade.

• Like (+1) 6

The first video states an opinion, presented as fact.

...and as it's first verifiable "fact", that the State has never not worked against (triple negative) the black community, is easily proven false. He continues by  stating that the viewer must accept the false narrative before he will allow a discussion of the issues; Attacking the viewer with an either/or accusation of ignorance vs racism, to avoid having to provide evidence. That's a lot of BS in a 1 minute clip.

The second video needs more explanation.

The last video is not exclusive to black people.

Edited by unbillievable
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, StHustle said:

Lol, you're nothing but a race baiter. You blame your shiity life on the evil white people. Take responsibility for your crappy existence for once. No need to respond, have a nice life.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, StHustle said:

couple of things here..hit ignore on this particular poster you are replying to..no meaningful conversation will be had. So don't let him get you fired up.

To your original posit..i did not  like the poll options. I will watch the documentary, as i watch a ton of documentaries, and form an opinion when I am finished watching it.Certainly not scared of anything, would think i will leran some new things as i am always learning, and may call BS on stuff in their if i see it slanted or not factual.

two fantastic docs if you have not seen before

https://www.amazon.com/Freedom-Summer-Stanley-Nelson/dp/B00L9WXZ5A

And this is one of the most powerful documentaries I have ever seen. Not free anymore, but buy it...the courageousness of the folks who participated in the Freedom Rides is just extraordinary to me.

https://www.pbs.org/video/american-experience-freedom-riders/ 

I must say...Im SHOCKED but yet not at all surprised the number coming back to me saying they had no idea about most of what happened. As a black man, who grew up with parents who forced me to learn the REAL HISTORY of America, I am just now fully realizing that most white people my age and younger are mostly CLUELESS about the real history of this country as it relates to its dealing with my people. 

as a 57 year old white man, the most shocking thing i have heard over and over again is " i had no idea this kind of thing went on"...by so many so much younger than me..I mean, where ya been?  Having said that, i am not afraid to call bs, bs. And it can rain BS from both extreme sides..there is a space for debate and nuanced arguments , as well as solutions....s

And the race thing is played by both parties. DEmocrats just more open about what they think of black voters. And if you are new here, i am a staunch anti Trumper and will be voting fro Biden( most likely), but think the one area where Republicans have a stronger case for my vote is how they approach issues that affect minorities. Democrats assume only they can help minorities, as the minorities themselves cannot possibly help themselves. I mean if i was a black voter and heard " you aint black if you not voting for me" that would make my blood boil. Did that not bother you?

6 hours ago, StHustle said:

**IF YOU ARE WHITE AND THINK SYSTEMIC RACISM IS A MYTH, GO WATCH THE NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY '13TH'. ITS FILLED WITH VERIFIABLE FACTS THAT WILL FINALLY OPEN YOUR EYES & ITS MAINLY TOLD BY WHITE PEOPLE. HERE IS A SHORT ONE MINUTE CLIP **

Many whites become uncomfortable with giving any sort of thought that their country isnt the squeaky clean 'Home of the Free' and 'Greatest Country on Earth' that they want to believe it to be. I wanted to get the ALL CAPS info out first because many wont make it through this entire post. In fact, I have probably already lost a decent percentage. This is for the people who want TRUTH. The REAL, unadulterated TRUTH. Not some conspiracy theory, or something made up in peoples heads, but actual factual information that any intelligent being would  digest and reach the same conclusion that once you realize the way America has done black people throughout history, coupled with the number of old white men still in power, one can only surmise that it would be near impossible to claim that all remnants of black oppression has been cleaned from law and a system designed with holding back the black man in mind. BUT FIRST YOU HAVE TO LEARN WHAT HISTORY CLASS WOULDNT DARE TEACH YOU!!!!

So at this present time of a sudden awakening of my white brethren...many white folks I associate with have reached out to me after seeing my Facebook posts (which basically called out any white people I know to choose a side, either commit to being a part of the problem or the solution) and would ask what they can do to be part of the solution. I tell all of them the same thing; "Go watch the Netflix documentary '13th' and come back and tell me what you think." I must say...Im SHOCKED but yet not at all surprised the number coming back to me saying they had no idea about most of what happened. As a black man, who grew up with parents who forced me to learn the REAL HISTORY of America, I am just now fully realizing that most white people my age and younger are mostly CLUELESS about the real history of this country as it relates to its dealing with my people. 

This has caused me to have an epiphany...many white folks I once deemed racist are actually just ignorant. They have been fooled and miseducated by the same system designed to oppress black people in this country. I challenge all white people who have a hard time believing the claims of black people about what we deal with in a society as a whole to watch this documentary. Realize why black people, especially black men were intentionally criminalized in the media and intentionally skewed data. But that only if you want real truth. Those who wish to remain in their comfort zone of ignorance will do so regardless, and thats the worst type of racist of them all.

(sorry for any typos or grammar mistakes, I normally proof read posts this long but its too late for that. Im sure you get my point)

Thanks for posting. 

May I suggest the HBO documentary Who Killed Garret Phillips. Mind blowing documentary of a whole community out to get a guy through law enforcement 

5 hours ago, StHustle said:

I like to consider myself a well educated, thoughtful, and reasonable human being. I enjoy engaging in honest intellectual dialogue with others who are willing to be open to views other than their own that are founded in knowledge and thoughtfully articulated. 

This is not an invitation to an honest debate on racism, which does exist in our society. This is a lecture and a link to one video that you somehow believe constitutes the ENTIRE TRUTH to an incredibly complex issue.

This post is the kind of simple, dichotomous, blame-centered thinking that is one of the primary barriers to finding solutions to complex problems. It is also reads as a condescending, broad brush stroke condemnation of a group of people represented as morally and intellectually inferior (see bolded).

If you wish to engage in honest debate, you really shouldn't begin by saying "any intelligent being" would have to reach your conclusion. 

If you want to share your experiences and thoughts and ask others to share their experiences and thoughts, that might be a good way to start a dialogue.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

couple of things here..hit ignore on this particular poster you are replying to..no meaningful conversation will be had. So don't let him get you fired up.

To your original posit..i did not  like the poll options. I will watch the documentary, as i watch a ton of documentaries, and form an opinion when I am finished watching it.Certainly not scared of anything, would think i will leran some new things as i am always learning, and may call BS on stuff in their if i see it slanted or not factual.

two fantastic docs if you have not seen before

https://www.amazon.com/Freedom-Summer-Stanley-Nelson/dp/B00L9WXZ5A

And this is one of the most powerful documentaries I have ever seen. Not free anymore, but buy it...the courageousness of the folks who participated in the Freedom Rides is just extraordinary to me.

https://www.pbs.org/video/american-experience-freedom-riders/ 

as a 57 year old white man, the most shocking thing i have heard over and over again is " i had no idea this kind of thing went on"...by so many so much younger than me..I mean, where ya been?  Having said that, i am not afraid to call bs, bs. And it can rain BS from both extreme sides..there is a space for debate and nuanced arguments , as well as solutions....s

And the race thing is played by both parties. DEmocrats just more open about what they think of black voters. And if you are new here, i am a staunch anti Trumper and will be voting fro Biden( most likely), but think the one area where Republicans have a stronger case for my vote is how they approach issues that affect minorities. Democrats assume only they can help minorities, as the minorities themselves cannot possibly help themselves. I mean if i was a black voter and heard " you aint black if you not voting for me" that would make my blood boil. Did that not bother you?

Don't like my posts, don't read them. You can keep your white guilt, I'm not buying into that garbage. 

No need to respond, ever. Have a nice day.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, westside2 said:

Don't like my posts, don't read them. You can keep your white guilt, I'm not buying into that garbage. 

No need to respond, ever. Have a nice day.

This is why you are a knucklehead  poster...nonsensical reply...

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, westside2 said:

You're a 57 year old suffering from white guilt. I'd rather be a knucklehead. 

you are whatever without a 3rd grade reading comprehension level...acknowledging that racism exists in this world is not white guilt..hard concept for you I am sure...everyone is out to get you!!!

Must suck always knowing you are the dumbest guy in the room

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

you are whatever without a 3rd grade reading comprehension level...acknowledging that racism exists in this world is not white guilt..hard concept for you I am sure...everyone is out to get you!!!

Must suck always knowing you are the dumbest guy in the 

Is that all you got? Admit your white guilt and bow down at the BLM alter. You're 57 and your balls haven't dropped yet. Sucks to be you.

Just now, westside2 said:

Is that all you got? Admit your white guilt and bow down at the BLM alter. You're 57 and your balls haven't dropped yet. Sucks to be you.

Haha..you are such a slow person. Tell ya what, you point out where any statement i have points to white guilt and i will donate a $1000 to your favorite charity

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Haha..you are such a slow person. Tell ya what, you point out where any statement i have points to white guilt and i will donate a $1000 to your favorite charity

Just scroll up. You probably don't have $1000 to your name. Lol

You're a joke.

That idiot writes a stupid ass post and you agree with him. Then you attack me. Go fucck yourself.

Edited by westside2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

And therein is the rub.   When does the black community get tired of a party that's patronized them for 50+ years, with no tangible benefit to speak of in 2 generations?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, westside2 said:

Just scroll up. You probably don't have $1000 to your name. Lol

You're a joke.

again, point out my white guilt statements, instanseouly will donate $1000 to your favorite charity...or is it you only know how to parrot talking points with no real thought process

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

again, point out my white guilt statements, instanseouly will donate $1000 to your favorite charity...or is it you only know how to parrot talking points with no real thought process

Pot meet kettle. Do you keep your $1000 in your man purse?

3 hours ago, StHustle said:

WTF is "reverse racism?" Racism is racism, regardless of what race is degrading the other. Or, are we changing definitions again?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, GG said:

And therein is the rub.   When does the black community get tired of a party that's patronized them for 50+ years, with no tangible benefit to speak of in 2 generations?

agreed 100%. 

Funny story, not quite apples to apples, but will relay it anyway.

25 years ago when i worked for ADP, had a sales call at a small non Profit in DC ..English First. First blush , i thought it would be a "right" leaning place that was trying to make English the official language and hurt immigrants trying to learn ESL and slowly transition to life in the US. And my left leaning self was like " gunna suck selling to these guys, but they have a right to get paid to"

Turns out it was a non-profit started by a group of Hispanic Immigrants, and they did want to make English the official language. Their argument was that by providing so much information in Spanish and not forcing people to learn english, it was a detriment to Hispanics advancing in society and perpetually keeping them lower educated and with less economic opportunity. I talked with the director for an hour that day about the mission of his organization, really made me examine lots of what i previously thought. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 hours ago, StHustle said:

Many whites become uncomfortable with giving any sort of thought that their country isnt the squeaky clean 'Home of the Free' and 'Greatest Country on Earth' that they want to believe it to be.

So you're judging white people by the color of the skin, and believe that they will only respond to token whites?

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

So you're judging white people by the color of the skin, and believe that they will only respond to token whites?

Just to play devils advocate..Candace Owens is making a living, and God bless her,  being held up as " see, even black people" ...

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

agreed 100%. 

25 years ago when i worked for ADP, had a sales call at a small non Profit in DC ..English First. First blush , i thought it would be a "right" leaning place that was trying to make English the official language and hurt immigrants trying to learn ESL and slowly transition to life in the US. And my left leaning self was like " gunna suck selling to these guys, but they have a right to get paid to"

Turns out it was a non-profit started by a group of Hispanic Immigrants, and they did want to make English the official language. Their argument was that by providing so much information in Spanish and not forcing people to learn english, it was a detriment to Hispanics advancing in society and perpetually keeping them lower educated and with less economic opportunity. I talked with the director for an hour that day about the mission of his organization, really made me examine lots of what i previously thought. 

Quaint, but universally true.  

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

Just to play devils advocate..Candace Owens is making a living, and God bless her,  being held up as " see, even black people" ...

It's more of a parallel to your story above.  Her message is that she's tired of the pandering.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, StHustle said:

To your first point, you are talking about what one campaign strategist said back in 1981 as proof that Cutting taxes is code word for systemic racism?  Do you not realize how incredibly stupid that sounds?   Cutting taxes has nothing to do with race, it has everything to do with an ideology that believes that it stimulates growth....One can attempt to reasonably disagree with that premise, but singling out what A strategist said nearly 30 years ago as your smoking gun proof is utterly ######ed. 

Also, one video of a kid showing his fear of the police is proof that the police department is targeting African Americans?   Is that what you are trying to depict?   Singular instances is not an effective way to point to prove endemic institutional racism.  I am open to the examining of perceived institutional racist policies.  But just screaming that there is or showing a video or audio is not an effective way to do it.  It invites ridicule and deservedly so.    If you look at the raw numbers, which I'm a data guy, you would be hard pressed to find that police shootings of blacks are disproportionately higher than other races.  

With that said, I do believe that there are reforms to be had to solve some of the inequities.  I don't believe for a second that there was an intended affect to create policies to punish blacks, however I do believe it's possible that cultural practices and where police tend to patrol along with some judicial matters have had the unintended consequence of disproportionately punishing blacks.  

And don't lecture anyone about a blue pill, because your argument is one that perfectly follows those that engage in group think which is the very definition of a blue piller.

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, westside2 said:

Lol, you're nothing but a race baiter. You blame your shiity life on the evil white people. Take responsibility for your crappy existence for once. No need to respond, have a nice life.

Upon whom do you place blame for your ***** life?  

I come to this place for laughter and fun.  You patronize it as a means of expressing your anger and self-loathing.  I feel badly for you, and I hope that you are able to make a new friend today who can bring some joy into your life.  Cheers!

Edited by SectionC3
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Upon whom do you place blame for your ***** life?  

I come to this place for laughter and fun.  You patronize it as a means of expressing your anger and self-loathing.  I feel badly for you, and I hope that you are able to make a new friend today who can bring some joy into your life.  Cheers!

Lol, I have a great life. I'm financially secure, have several great girlfriends, retired at 55. I'm living the dream! Thank you for your concern, though it's not necessary. 

1 minute ago, westside2 said:

Lol, I have a great life. I'm financially secure, have several great girlfriends, retired at 55. I'm living the dream! Thank you for your concern, though it's not necessary. 

I’m glad to hear that you have found joy in your existence.  Now project that joy to others, sir!

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

agreed 100%. 

The Democrats have been very benefiticial to the black community. It’s where they get representation in the government and have allowed them to fight poverty and systemic racism amount other issues. There was only a tiny black mhole dale class 50 years ago, and now there is a sizable black middle class, just for one example. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

The Democrats have been very benefiticial to the black community. It’s where they get representation in the government and have allowed them to fight poverty and systemic racism amount other issues. There was only a tiny black mhole dale class 50 years ago, and now there is a sizable black middle class, just for one example. 

Lol, yeah right.