Texans and Cowboys players test positive

Cal

13 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I think he meant if every player got Covid 19, there would be a 50% chance that one would die. He is basically correct imo. 

That’s how I interpreted it, also - I didn’t think he was talking about the chance of an individual player dying, but the chance that if all 2,176 players in the league contracted COVID-19 at least 1 or 2 might die or at least be seriously ill for months.  

I’m not sure on the math of 50% chance - it read like “TLAR stats” to me.  But bearing in mind that a bunch of the players on both sides of the line may be obese (high BMI, high body fat % to “beef up), some probably have hypertension (two principle risk factors) and a bunch of players are closer to 30 than 20.  So if all 2000-ish players in the league got covid-19, from the current best estimates I’ve seen on hospitalization/morbidity in that age range and what I’ve heard from physicians in Atlanta and StL and Boston on the relatively young healthy people they see coming into hospital, I think there’s a realistic chance that perhaps 10-20 would require hospitalization and 1 or 2 might die.

I don’t know, but I have the sense that would be unusual for an NFL season, that it would typically be maybe 3 or 4 players are hospitalized for different conditions and no one dies.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Beast said:

LMAO! Oh my, you have never been an athlete, have you?

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

I agree, I can’t see an athlete agreeing to wear a mask through a peak performance athletic endeavor.   Even if they did, I see the masks getting dislodged or ripped off.

Of course firefighters wear SCBA and run up multiple flights of stairs but that’s kind of a different thing.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

It’s a deadly virus..... to people who are immunocompromised.

One more time: please cease from the misinformation here.  If you want to go over to the covid-19 threads and present your sources for the statement that it’s deadly to immunocompromised people (as opposed to people with risk factors like obesity - 46% of the country - hypertension - 42% of the country - diabetes 10.5%  and heart disease - 7%, which are the actual risk factors that have been found), Be My Guest.  If you want to go to PPP and say whatever you feel like saying without backing it up, ChinChin.

• Thank you (+1) 1

It will be interesting to see what happens when the season is on. I have said this before, but what do you do if a team gets hit with an outbreak and gets like 15 positives? Will that team even have enough guys to play the next 2 weeks? What if those 15 are key guys? That’s possibly 2 straight losses. 

I believe much of the season’s outcome will turn on which team’s critical players avoid the virus. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Agreed. BUT, every facet of our economy is currently one big HIPAA violation. Schools, real estate showings, going back to work, etc. all require workers to answer three or four questions (Have you come in contact with any COVID patient in the last 14 days? Have you felt sick with fever or cough in last 14 days? etc). Zeke might want to see how all of us have our medical histories on the table right now.

You’re the “legal beagle” but my understanding is that if you voluntarily disclose personal health information HIPAA does not apply?

6 hours ago, The Fiend said:

How would this be any different than a key player getting injured or even dying during the season, like Hank Gathers?? In the NFL, you take your chances.

Good question.  I think the difference would be if you have a player infected, would players in close contact be expected to quarantine and for how long?  If so a team could lose an entire position group since they often meet together, do drills together, sometimes hang out outside the facility.

5 hours ago, DrW said:

One reason to be optimistic: The Bundesliga (1st and 2nd soccer division in Germany; 36 teams) has been back in action for a month now. The players are frequently tested - so far no new case of the virus. The main change - no fans in the stadium.

Can you say more about this as it seems relevant?  Are the players and coaches expected to be a closed social group and kind of isolate outside practice/facility?  Or are they going to pubs/socializing freely on their off time?

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

It will be interesting to see what happens when the season is on. I have said this before, but what do you do if a team gets hit with an outbreak and gets like 15 positives? Will that team even have enough guys to play the next 2 weeks? What if those 15 are key guys? That’s possibly 2 straight losses. 

I believe much of the season’s outcome will turn on which team’s critical players avoid the virus. 

Covid for Trevor??? ?‍♂️

It’s getting closer, and I have ZERO idea what to expect. 

• Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That’s how I interpreted it, also - I didn’t think he was talking about the chance of an individual player dying, but the chance that if all 2,176 players in the league contracted COVID-19 at least 1 or 2 might die or at least be seriously ill for months.  

I’m not sure on the math of 50% chance - it read like “TLAR stats” to me.  But bearing in mind that a bunch of the players on both sides of the line may be obese (high BMI, high body fat % to “beef up), some probably have hypertension (two principle risk factors) and a bunch of players are closer to 30 than 20.  So if all 2000-ish players in the league got covid-19, from the current best estimates I’ve seen on hospitalization/morbidity in that age range and what I’ve heard from physicians in Atlanta and StL and Boston on the relatively young healthy people they see coming into hospital, I think there’s a realistic chance that perhaps 10-20 would require hospitalization and 1 or 2 might die.

I don’t know, but I have the sense that would be unusual for an NFL season, that it would typically be maybe 3 or 4 players are hospitalized for different conditions and no one dies.

thankless job trying to herd all these comments Hapless I worry about your delete post carpel tunnel though....lol 

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I actually googled in case there was another biochemist Kary Mullis that you were referring to, because no one in their right mind would reference the Kary Mullis I was thinking of. But no, it's one guy, you really were.

Kary Mullis died in August of last year before COVID-19 was even a thing. He was a climate change denier, and HIV skeptic and AIDS denier. Dude didnt believe there was a connection between HIV and AIDS. So I'm not really interested in what he posthumously thinks about COVID.

I knew there was even more about this yahoo, so dug into his wikipedia...

This is "your guy", eh? Well done. I certainly wouldnt call you a "mental slave". Because slaves usually work hard.

lol this is hilarious. Pick your “experts” wisely kids.

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

One more time: please cease from the misinformation here.  If you want to go over to the covid-19 threads and present your sources for the statement that it’s deadly to immunocompromised people (as opposed to people with risk factors like obesity - 46% of the country - hypertension - 42% of the country - diabetes 10.5%  and heart disease - 7%, which are the actual risk factors that have been found), Be My Guest.  If you want to go to PPP and say whatever you feel like saying without backing it up, ChinChin.

So comorbidities aren't important or worthy of conversation?

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You’re the “legal beagle” but my understanding is that if you voluntarily disclose personal health information HIPAA does not apply?

Exactly. But Zeke didn’t disclose it (based on my reading of his Tweet). He needs to understand once he is intending to access a facility where others are gathered (team workout room, office, house for sale, bank, etc) others have a right to know who is infected or who exhibits signs of infection. Once that happens, all bets are off when it comes to health privacy. Open book. Will become the “Scarlett letter” of “C” (even though most would agree better to get it now and know you had it)

1 minute ago, BringBackFergy said:

Exactly. But Zeke didn’t disclose it (based on my reading of his Tweet). He needs to understand once he is intending to access a facility where others are gathered (team workout room, office, house for sale, bank, etc) others have a right to know who is infected or who exhibits signs of infection. Once that happens, all bets are off when it comes to health privacy. Open book. Will become the “Scarlett letter” of “C” (even though most would agree better to get it now and know you had it)

Yep.  I'm dealing with it now at work.  Starting later this week, every employee will have to answer a questionnaire (have you tested positive, have you been cleared to return, do you have xxxxxx symptoms) and their temp must be taken prior to entering the office.  My job just got a lot harder.

7 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

my bank refuses  you entry if you have any symptoms of covid-19 or recent diagnosis. Its posted as a sign on the door. Their rules their bank. What's next, temperature checks to get in? To enter anywhere? Disclosure mandate seems a given am I wrong?

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Yep.  I'm dealing with it now at work.  Starting later this week, every employee will have to answer a questionnaire (have you tested positive, have you been cleared to return, do you have xxxxxx symptoms) and their temp must be taken prior to entering the office.  My job just got a lot harder.

I just posted this...forget employee how about patron?

Scarlet C indeed. With a note from your Dr you have antibodies.....or don't.

Edited by Muppy

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

We are talking about young, healthy athletes though.... The real concern would be if some of these coaches came down with it....and yes you are right it can be lethal to more than half of America, considering most don’t have clue what a healthy diet is or how to take care of themselves. 

Agreed that the risk to coaches (Daboll!) is much higher than the risk to players

It has to be remembered that from the perspective of fielding a healthy team, the morbidity (risk of death) is only part of the issue.

Von Miller, who apparently had a "mild" case, said that he was knocked out for 2 weeks (he does have asthma, but overall, asthma does not seem to be a covid-19 risk factor)

FWIW, Von Miller apparently weighed in to Commissioner Goodell - primarily he seems to want the NFL to test all the players everyday.  But if the players are in close contact with trainers and coaches, that's not enough.  Then there's the media....how will that be handled?  They can't (seems to me) allow media availability where reporters pour into the locker rooms in close contact with players who are still breathing heavily and sweaty from a game or from practice.

I'd like to know how many people are typically in an NFL facility besides players - 100?  1000? what?

14 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

We are talking about young, healthy athletes though.... The real concern would be if some of these coaches came down with it....and yes you are right it can be lethal to more than half of America, considering most don’t have clue what a healthy diet is or how to take care of themselves. 

Or, perhaps, they have pre-existing medical conditions that compromise their immune systems.  I don't think eating fast food and being overweight puts anyone in the covid-19 risk category.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Or, perhaps, they have pre-existing medical conditions that compromise their immune systems.  I don't think eating fast food and being overweight puts anyone in the covid-19 risk category.

Overweight, no; obesity yes as a covid-19 risk factor.  Of course obesity tends to coincide with hypertension and type II diabetes but it aparently still shows as a risk factor when they try to sort out the confounding factors. 

Football relevance: since "blocking enough daylight" is considered a Good Thing in a DL or OLman and even TE are expected to have a bit of heft to them, those guys may not be the "lean mean health machines" that we might commonly expect of pro-athletes and some of them by body fat % would probably count as obese - some of them may be in higher "risk categories" than one thinks

If you look at retired OLmen like Eric Woods, wow do some of them look skinny next to their playing weights

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Oh it absolutely does.

Are you serious? Eating like ***** and being overweight typically results in high BP which leads to diabetes which leads to all sorts of issues.

I found it somewhat hilarious and sad that ever since the country went into lockdown the fast food lines were gigantic. ?

Um.  Hypertension per se is not a risk factor that "leads to diabetes" [note to ScottLaw: correlation is not causation. current thinking common underlying cause]
Quite a number of people have hypertension who are not obese or even overweight.  For some people, losing some weight can reduce hypertension, but not for all people

And I think Gugny's point may have been that a lot of Americans eat fast food regularly and are not obese or even overweight

• Like (+1) 2