Texans and Cowboys players test positive

Cal

5 minutes ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

Just sideline the Cowboys and Texans for the entire season.  No one would miss them anyway.

Are you saying JJ Watt would not be missed?

I hope Sherlock Holmes doesn’t see this.

• Haha (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, GG said:

What about the NBA Covid epidemic that was started by Rudy Godert & Donovan Mitchell?   They were fully contagious in February & March when the games were in full swing.

I'm very curious do you have any info regarding the aftermath of that? That would be telling....possibly predictive information

21 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Oh the panic, absolute panic.

SO THEY HAVE IT?  They are world class athletes with world class medical facilities, the NFL wont have any shortage of tests for it, most of them will get the virus and barely feel any symptoms.  Now they have to have at least an 85 IQ not to to visit the in firmed,  old folks and nursing homes while during infectious stages.

Do you think players that test positive will be allowed to play?  If not, did you even read my post?  What happens when you can’t field a proper team.  What happens when 4 offensive linemen test positive?  When 3 corners test positive?  When 3 QBs test positive?  You act like this can’t happen.

If you think they should be able to play with a positive test, well, that explains a lot.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Muppy said:

I'm very curious do you have any info regarding the aftermath of that? That would be telling....possibly predictive information

There were minimal reported infections after those 2 in the NBA.   It could be for two reasons, people actually observed HIPAA rules, or there were no more infections (or symptoms in the infected) from the initial cases.   I have my theory on which was the far more likely case.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'm wondering how they can start the season from a legal standpoint.  Any player who contracts the virus could easily blame the owners for forcing them back into an unsafe work situation - and sue.  Then their families and friends could sue if they get it.  The NFLPA could file grievances as well.  Could turn into a legal and financial mess.   I think a lot of companies are keeping workers at home solely for legal reasons.   

Edited by Irv

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The problem is: how do they handle quarantining players who test positive during the season, without severely handicapping the team if those are key players (like Zeke for the Cowboys)

How would this be any different than a key player getting injured or even dying during the season, like Hank Gathers?? In the NFL, you take your chances.

8 minutes ago, Irv said:

I'm wondering how they can start the season from a legal standpoint.  Any player who contracts the virus could easily blame the owners for forcing them back into an unsafe work situation - and sue.  Then their families and friends could sue if they get it.  The NFLPA could file grievances as well.  Could turn into a legal and financial mess.   I think a lot of companies are keeping workers at home solely for legal reasons.   

a lot of release of liability notices signed Irv..its the only way I can think of. a boat load of them

Its not just the coaches and staff of the team whom deal with players  Its the media, its the stadium  workers, its the security details at games..its the referees Lots of people  . Legal and financial mess indeed.

One reason to be optimistic: The Bundesliga (1st and 2nd soccer division in Germany; 36 teams) has been back in action for a month now. The players are frequently tested - so far no new case of the virus. The main change - no fans in the stadium.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Irv said:

A lot of us have had to work through all of this. They’ll get over it. They’re grown men 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

A lot of us have had to work through all of this. They’ll get over it. They’re grown men 

Yep. They'll either get over it or...ya know...die. Or maybe they'll survive, but have ongoing organ problems, lung problems, blood problems, or a stroke. No biggie. ?

24 minutes ago, Irv said:

and yet, many of us walk into work daily 

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yep. They'll either get over it or...ya know...die. Or maybe they'll survive, but have ongoing organ problems, lung problems, blood problems, or a stroke. No biggie. ?

add financial collapse under the weight of medical bills should they indeed survive.......hey its  not MY problem I dont give a damn.... *sigh*

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 123719bwiqrb said:

I just want to say it feels good to talk about football again.

I kid, of course we can't talk about sports anymore.  It's all politics all the time.

Okay let's talk some football...do you think the refs are going to have to carry Clorex with them and wipe down the ball after every play?  (I too am kidding)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 123719bwiqrb said:

I just want to say it feels good to talk about football again.

I kid, of course we can't talk about sports anymore.  It's all politics all the time.

haha well its not the most active time of the NFL year in any case but the real world problems we are all dealing with and discussing are at the forefront of a lot of our minds...stressful times indeed and trust me I hope this gets ironed out with the NFL. I have tickets to an away game I already purchased in hopes things were going to work out we'd even have a season to attend games in...no given anymore,    

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, CuseBill said:

Okay let's talk some football...do you think the refs are going to have to carry Clorex with them and wipe down the ball after every play?  (I too am kidding)

I'm picturing the bubbles like you see fans use at halftime (or at a Sabs game) where they run into each other.  Suit the refs up and they are clean forever.  Plus the players could get their frustrations out a little, too.

6 minutes ago, Muppy said:

haha well its not the most active time of the NFL year in any case but the real world problems we are all dealing with and discussing are at the forefront of a lot of our minds...stressful times indeed and trust me I hope this gets ironed out with the NFL. I have tickets to an away game I already purchased in hopes things were going to work out we'd even have a season to attend games in...no given anymore,    

I was all lined up to buy 2 seasons in section 314.  Now I wait.

If they let us into a game (let's assume the home opener), I am 100% there.  Like Ivan Drago said - if he dies, he dies.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Logic said:

I remain pessimistic about a full season happening.

I stick with my position that the season will be started, but will not get the chance to finish.

Your position isn't going to be very popular but it would seem to be a good bet at this point. A very likely scenario is that the season gets underway and then sometime around December a team, or teams, or a significant number of players are out and the league has to shut it down. Baseball is fairly well socially distanced as it is. Basketball not so much but they can isolate in Orlando. Football has 6-7 times the number of players, larger staffs, facilities so the Basketball model isn't  going to be much help. 

3 hours ago, Cal said:

If a player tests positive before a game as an example. Will they be able to play?

no way 

Edited by iinii
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, iinii said:

Your position isn't going to be very popular but it would seem to be a good bet at this point. A very likely scenario is that the season gets underway and then sometime around December a team, or teams, or a significant number of players are out and the league has to shut it down. Baseball is fairly well socially distanced as it is. Basketball not so much but they can isolate in Orlando. Football has 6-7 times the number of players, larger staffs, facilities so the Basketball model is  going to be much help. 

Right.

53 players x 32 teams = 1,696 players. Then, once you start factoring in coaches (many of whom are at-risk types, either age or weight wise or both), coordinators, support staff, media....it's a massive amount of people. And the physical closeness and intensity of contact between players is just off the charts compared to other sports.

In my mind, the idea of a 16 game season successfully taking place is incredibly unlikely. I desperately want to be wrong, because football is just about my favorite thing in the world. But confronting the facts with any sense of realism does not lead to an optimistic outlook.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Cal said:

Per NFL.com

Need to call off the 2020 season imo. You can't socially distance in a team sport like football. Its inevitable that players will continue to test positive.

people will continue to test positive and be fine.  with no vaccine positive tests could continue forever.  You want to just keep all sports an everything closed until a vaccine?  insanity.