Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Billl

Average QBs

Recommended Posts

I was looking at a ranking of 2020 projected starting QBs, and there is a lot of mediocrity out there.  More than that, there is a lot of tolerance for mediocrity, as teams keep bringing them back as starters.  I put together a quick list of QBs that I would say are roughly average or below who were either opening day starters last year and who are slated as starters in 2020.  I removed those who were rookies last season, as giving a rookie a second year is different than a veteran.

 

Rivers

Garoppolo

Goff

Cousins

Mayfield

Carr

Fitzpatrick

Allen

Darnold

Brady

Foles/Trubisky

 

Here’s a list of opening day starters from last season who are still in the league (haven’t retired) but aren’t slated to be starters in 2020.

 

Winston

Dalton

Keenum

Mariota

Brissett

Newton

Keenum


So that’s 19 starters from last season who were roughly average to below average, weren’t rookies, and who didn’t retire.  12 of them are either scheduled to be starters or are competing to start in 2020.  That’s a pretty good gig.  You’ve got a 63% to keep your job as a starter year over year even if you’re average or below.

 

I’d be curious to see what people here think about the two lists.  Is there anything that stands out when comparing the list of QBs who kept their starting jobs to those who lost theirs?

  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Billl said:

I was looking at a ranking of 2020 projected starting QBs, and there is a lot of mediocrity out there.  More than that, there is a lot of tolerance for mediocrity, as teams keep bringing them back as starters.  I put together a quick list of QBs that I would say are roughly average or below who were either opening day starters last year and who are slated as starters in 2020.  I removed those who were rookies last season, as giving a rookie a second year is different than a veteran.

 

Rivers

Garoppolo

Goff

Cousins

Mayfield

Carr

Fitzpatrick

Allen

Darnold

Brady

Foles/Trubisky

 

Here’s a list of opening day starters from last season who are still in the league (haven’t retired) but aren’t slated to be starters in 2020.

 

Winston

Dalton

Keenum

Mariota

Brissett

Newton

Keenum


So that’s 19 starters from last season who were roughly average to below average, weren’t rookies, and who didn’t retire.  12 of them are either scheduled to be starters or are competing to start in 2020.  That’s a pretty good gig.  You’ve got a 63% to keep your job as a starter year over year even if you’re average or below.

 

I’d be curious to see what people here think about the two lists.  Is there anything that stands out when comparing the list of QBs who kept their starting jobs to those who lost theirs?

I can already see where this is going...

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It will be entertaining to read the waling of posters when you include Allen in the average to mediocre category.. Also Brady.  Allen & Darnold dont belong imo because they are still far too young and unproven.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

It will be entertaining to read the waling of posters when you include Allen in the average to mediocre category.. Also Brady.

 

Allen is average to mediocre tho, thats why so many of us are waiting to see if he can break out of that category in his 3rd season. 

 

last season we were carried to 10 wins by our 2nd ranked defense, can't remember a single game where our offense and Allen took a choke hold of the game and willed us to victory. 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t want this thread to devolve into a debate over who is average.  If you disagree with who fits that criteria, mentally remove them from consideration.  

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tesla03 said:

 

Allen is average to mediocre tho, thats why so many of us are waiting to see if he can break out of that category in his 3rd season. 

 

last season we were carried to 10 wins by our 2nd ranked defense, can't remember a single game where our offense and Allen took a choke hold of the game and willed us to victory. 

Best game he played last season was v Dallas on Thanksgiving

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tesla03 said:

 

Allen is average to mediocre tho, thats why so many of us are waiting to see if he can break out of that category in his 3rd season. 

 

last season we were carried to 10 wins by our 2nd ranked defense, can't remember a single game where our offense and Allen took a choke hold of the game and willed us to victory. 

 

I am a huge Allen fan but to be brutally honest, i dont think Allen he yet to prove he is an average NFL starting QB, i think thus  far he is below average.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JPP said:

Best game he played last season was v Dallas on Thanksgiving

 

Yup he had a great game. but to all the other top QB's Allen put up pretty average numbers that day. we beat Dallas bc our defense stuffed the #1 ranked offense in the league (at the time) 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I can already see where this is going...

What, that most that kept their jobs were white?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Billl said:

I was looking at a ranking of 2020 projected starting QBs, and there is a lot of mediocrity out there.  More than that, there is a lot of tolerance for mediocrity, as teams keep bringing them back as starters.  I put together a quick list of QBs that I would say are roughly average or below who were either opening day starters last year and who are slated as starters in 2020.  I removed those who were rookies last season, as giving a rookie a second year is different than a veteran.

 

Rivers

Garoppolo

Goff

Cousins

Mayfield

Carr

Fitzpatrick

Allen

Darnold

Brady

Foles/Trubisky

 

Here’s a list of opening day starters from last season who are still in the league (haven’t retired) but aren’t slated to be starters in 2020.

 

Winston

Dalton

Keenum

Mariota

Brissett

Newton

Keenum


So that’s 19 starters from last season who were roughly average to below average, weren’t rookies, and who didn’t retire.  12 of them are either scheduled to be starters or are competing to start in 2020.  That’s a pretty good gig.  You’ve got a 63% to keep your job as a starter year over year even if you’re average or below.

 

I’d be curious to see what people here think about the two lists.  Is there anything that stands out when comparing the list of QBs who kept their starting jobs to those who lost theirs?


your numbers are i think driven by simple necessity - how many elite QB prospects come into the league every year? Very few. Most teams simply aren’t in a position to replace these guys with perceived improvements in any given year.

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How can you say Brady who has won 6 SB’s.  I didn’t say I liked him, but he was playing last year with mediocre talent at best outside of Edelman.  I’d table that classification until after this year when he plays with Godwin, Evans, Brate, Howard, and Gronk 2.0.  Allen has a great deal of potential, but he’s still ascending so I guess I understand.  Darnold plays ona bad team with a worse coach.  Rivers and Mayfield May surprise people, if the new Cleveland coach can pull this team together.  Rivers was good two years ago, and played behind a crappy line for years.  He now has a line, talent at the skills positions, and a solid defense.  I’m not guaranteeing a good year, but Reich knows him better than anyone so if he is going to have a comeback year, it would be this year.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Billl said:

I don’t want this thread to devolve into a debate over who is average.  If you disagree with who fits that criteria, mentally remove them from consideration.  

I’m mentally removing Brady and Cousins then.

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I’m mentally removing Brady and Cousins then.

Cool.  Notice any differences between the two adjusted lists?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Billl said:

Cool.  Notice any differences between the two adjusted lists?

Yes every QB on the top list is better than the QB on the bottom list. If Dalton starts because of a Dak holdout I could see him put up some huge numbers with that offense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

What, that most that kept their jobs were white?

Most?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The difference is some metric combining age and AAV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m guessing shoe size and height might play a big role as well. I think Allen is a size 15. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Billl said:

I don’t want this thread to devolve into a debate over who is average.  If you disagree with who fits that criteria, mentally remove them from consideration.  


 

Can we do the same thing with certain posters?

 

Mentally remove them from the site?

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are 32 teams, and about 15 franchise quarterbacks. That sizable gap is going to lead all kinds of head scratching situations.

 

It's not that there is a tolerance for mediocrity. It's that most teams simply don't have any better options.

  • Like (+1) 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Yes every QB on the top list is better than the QB on the bottom list. If Dalton starts because of a Dak holdout I could see him put up some huge numbers with that offense.

You’d prefer to pay $25,000,000 to a 39 year old QB who threw 23 TDs and 20 INTs while going 5-11 than pay $15,000,000 to a 28 year old who threw 18 TDs and 6 INTs while going 7-8?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...