Average QBs

Billl

2 hours ago, Billl said:

I don’t want this thread to devolve into a debate over who is average.  If you disagree with who fits that criteria, mentally remove them from consideration.  

Like we do with your takes.:D

• Awesome! (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Billl said:

I was looking at a ranking of 2020 projected starting QBs, and there is a lot of mediocrity out there.  More than that, there is a lot of tolerance for mediocrity, as teams keep bringing them back as starters.  I put together a quick list of QBs that I would say are roughly average or below who were either opening day starters last year and who are slated as starters in 2020.  I removed those who were rookies last season, as giving a rookie a second year is different than a veteran.

Rivers

Garoppolo

Goff

Cousins

Mayfield

Carr

Fitzpatrick

Allen

Darnold

Brady

Foles/Trubisky

Here’s a list of opening day starters from last season who are still in the league (haven’t retired) but aren’t slated to be starters in 2020.

Winston

Dalton

Keenum

Mariota

Brissett

Newton

Keenum

So that’s 19 starters from last season who were roughly average to below average, weren’t rookies, and who didn’t retire.  12 of them are either scheduled to be starters or are competing to start in 2020.  That’s a pretty good gig.  You’ve got a 63% to keep your job as a starter year over year even if you’re average or below.

I’d be curious to see what people here think about the two lists.  Is there anything that stands out when comparing the list of QBs who kept their starting jobs to those who lost theirs?

I think your being too generous to Carr. He’s horrible and belongs in the list with Winston and Mariota. He hasn’t led his team to the playoffs in the 5 years he’s been on that raiders team

14 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I think your being too generous to Carr. He’s horrible and belongs in the list with Winston and Mariota. He hasn’t led his team to the playoffs in the 5 years he’s been on that raiders team

He’s in the top list because he’s the projected starter for next season.  He’s 39-55 as a starter.  He’s never even played in the postseason.  Yet he’s firmly entrenched as their starter.  In fact, they had a competition for his backup spot last year between Mike Glennon and Nathan Peterman.

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

You’re once again looking for trouble.

If what you’re implying were indeed the case, why would the Panthers cut Newton and hand starting money to Bridgewater?

Case closed. You’re making an uproar over Brissett and Winston.

DUNKED ON.

@Billl in shambles.

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Billl said:

I was looking at a ranking of 2020 projected starting QBs, and there is a lot of mediocrity out there.  More than that, there is a lot of tolerance for mediocrity, as teams keep bringing them back as starters.  I put together a quick list of QBs that I would say are roughly average or below who were either opening day starters last year and who are slated as starters in 2020.  I removed those who were rookies last season, as giving a rookie a second year is different than a veteran.

Rivers

Garoppolo-Look at the difference in the 49ers with him & without him.  He was in the Super Bowl last year.  

Goff

Cousins-Some rank him as one of the top QBs in the NFC.  

Mayfield-Too soon to tell.

Carr

Fitzpatrick

Allen-Too soon to tell

Darnold-Too soon to tell

Brady-You've lost your mind.

Foles/Trubisky

Here’s a list of opening day starters from last season who are still in the league (haven’t retired) but aren’t slated to be starters in 2020.

Winston

Dalton

Keenum

Mariota

Brissett

Newton

Keenum-Did he start 2 openers?  

So that’s 19 starters from last season who were roughly average to below average, weren’t rookies, and who didn’t retire.  12 of them are either scheduled to be starters or are competing to start in 2020.  That’s a pretty good gig.  You’ve got a 63% to keep your job as a starter year over year even if you’re average or below.

I’d be curious to see what people here think about the two lists.  Is there anything that stands out when comparing the list of QBs who kept their starting jobs to those who lost theirs?

I think this is a poor list.  A lot of the guys you rate on the top part are much more highly thought of around the league and locally in their teams' cities than how you rate them.  

To answer your last question: It's pretty obvious they didn't win enough to be retained.  Only 2 of the 7 weren't benched in season.  

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

You’re once again looking for trouble.

If what you’re implying were indeed the case, why would the Panthers cut Newton and hand starting money to Bridgewater?

Case closed. You’re making an uproar over Brissett and Winston.

I completely agree.

Case Closed.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3