Defund the Police?

What does this mean for gun control laws? It kind of goes hand-in-hand with police defunding/reform, right?

Be more strict while allowing more widespread open-carry? Will more funds be allocated to public formal firearms training?

4 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

What does this mean for gun control laws? It kind of goes hand-in-hand with police defunding/reform, right?

Be more strict while allowing more widespread open-carry? Will more funds be allocated to public formal firearms training?

Erm, in case you have not noticed, the past 12 days (including the "defund the police movement) have set "gun control" back a good 40 or 50 years. It is a non starter right now.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Erm, in case you have not noticed, the past 10 days (including the "defund the police movement) have set "gun control" back a good 40 or 50 years. It is a non starter right now.

One would think discussion on police funding/reform leads to discussion on gun control reform naturally...

I'm all for open-carry licenses

1 hour ago, Crayola64 said:

This is one of the dumbest trends, and is truly an idea of a very very very very very small minority of our people who just happen to shout really loud.

better strategic funding of the police and community can be a good thing, abolishing police is LOL

It’s working. A common enemy is brining is together. ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, LeGOATski said:

One would think discussion on police funding/reform leads to discussion on gun control reform naturally...

I'm all for open-carry licenses

I am anti-gun. It is one of my two last  big "leftist" stances. I wish all guns could be rounded up and melted down (and yes, I know that will never happen).  This past year I have seriously considered getting my permit.  The way things are going, I do worry. I hesitate because getting my permit would mean... I'd have to fire a gun. Something I am not at all interested in doing.

I mentioned to my husband last year that I was considering getting my permit, and the first thing out of his mouth was, "We can go to the gun range together!" 

My husband is loaded for bear.  He is a huge 2A advocate, as is his right under our constitution. In some ways, this makes it very easy for me to continue with my belief.

Maybe I'll evolve enough on day to fully be on board with getting licensed and learning to shoot. Or, maybe not.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I am anti-gun. It is one of my two last  big "leftist" stances. I wish all guns could be rounded up and melted down (and yes, I know that will never happen).  This past year I have seriously considered getting my permit.  The way things are going, I do worry. I hesitate because getting my permit would mean... I'd have to fire a gun. Something I am not at all interested in doing.

I mentioned to my husband last year that I was considering getting my permit, and the first thing out of his mouth was, "We can go to the gun range together!" 

My husband is loaded for bear.  He is a huge 2A advocate, as is his right under our constitution. In some ways, this makes it very easy for me to continue with my belief.

Maybe I'll evolve enough on day to fully be on board with getting licensed and learning to shoot. Or, maybe not.

Something will end up pushing you to that point. Do it legal; do it safe and you’ll be fine.

• Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Sounds like an inevitability ?

• Sad 1

We're told not to take "defund the police" and "abolish the police" literally.

In this WaPo op-ed — "Defund the police? Here’s what that really means." — by Christy E. Lopez, who is a a Distinguished Visitor from Practice at Georgetown Law School where she co-directs the Innovative Policing Program. She tells us not to be "afraid" because it's "not as scary (or even as radical) as it sounds."
We turn to the police in situations where years of experience and common sense tell us that their involvement is unnecessary, and can make things worse. We ask police to take accident reports, respond to people who have overdosed and arrest, rather than cite, people who might have intentionally or not passed a counterfeit $20 bill. We call police to roust homeless people from corners and doorsteps, resolve verbal squabbles between family members and strangers alike, and arrest children for behavior that once would have been handled as a school disciplinary issue.

Police themselves often complain about having to “do too much,” including handling social problems for which they are ill-equipped. Some have been vocal about the need to decriminalize social problems and take police out of the equation. It is clear that we must reimagine the role they play in public safety. 
Defunding and abolition probably mean something different from what you are thinking. For most proponents, “defunding the police” does not mean zeroing out budgets for public safety, and police abolition does not mean that police will disappear overnight — or perhaps ever. Defunding the police means shrinking the scope of police responsibilities and shifting most of what government does to keep us safe to entities that are better equipped to meet that need. It means investing more in mental-health care and housing, and expanding the use of community mediation and violence interruption programs....
Why not use words that people can understand and that convey the meaning you want to put in our head? If your idea is so reasonable, why not use words that are effective in making people who care about peace and harmony agree with you?
Police abolition means reducing, with the vision of eventually eliminating, our reliance on policing to secure our public safety....
Now, that's just confusing! You said "reducing" but then you said "eliminating."
The “abolition” language is important because it reminds us that policing has been the primary vehicle for using violence to perpetuate the unjustified white control over the bodies and lives of black people that has been with us since slavery.

But the slavery abolition movement was not about reducing our reliance on slavery! Why take such an important word and undermine what it means?

If you successfully "remind us" of the evils of slavery, you are making us think you are saying the police are an evil, like slavery, that must be entirely eradicated.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I love when people like Pelosi try to distance themselves from the very extremism they foster (for political self preservation), while, at the same time, trying not lose the vote of those very same extremists.

Such dishonesty. The very essence of what is wrong in Washington and why I detest so many politicians....

• Like (+1) 4

4 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

The trick they're trying to pull with this media coverage is to make the majority opinion feel as if they're in the minority. 

Information warfare 101. 

The 28% should live where there is no police.  A good social experiment on police vs no police.  I am guessing they would not volunteer for what they want to force on others.

• Thank you (+1) 1