Jake Fromm: Controversial comments

10 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

1) Dismissing someone's failure to accept your argument as being attributable solely to their willful ignorance argues stridently from authority and/or condescension.

2) Stadium Wall is different from Politics Polls and Pundits, which is to me - call me nutty - a preferable place to have discussion 1, at least until such point as football is played with riot shields and by hurling bricks.

1) It has been explained at length here what the kneeling protests are about and how they have nothing to do with the flag.

2) PPP is not a preferable place for anything. It is a sewer.  If you listen closely in these threads you can hear the sound of the PPP rats crawling below.  Trying to bring perspective, logic and empathy down there is like trying to shine a fading flashlight into a rat-filled sewer: there is no real dialogue, the responses are straight out of the 4Chan far-right troll manual, you get shouted down and eventually the Rat King shows up and declares “you’re an idiot” and his subjects cackle and throw feces at you and repeat “but whatabout Hillary’s emails?” until you want to claw your own eyes out or become one of them.  It’s a horrible place and maybe one day an ambitious mod will dump a bucket of lye down that drain.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

argumentum ab auctoritate redux

I'm not really seeing logic or empathy here. Was the irony intentional?

In any event, football: Before, during, and after the draft, based on my viewings of Georgia, I had full confidence that Fromm does not have the physical toolset to succeed in the NFL and didn't want him drafted by the Bills. Message dumps of dubious interpretation by ex-gf's or whatever aren't going to change that, so I can't make myself care about it too much one way or another, except to be bemused by both volume and intensity.

5 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

I'm not really seeing logic or empathy here. Was the irony intentional?

In any event, football: Before, during, and after the draft, based on my viewings of Georgia, I had full confidence that Fromm does not have the physical toolset to succeed in the NFL and didn't want him drafted by the Bills. Message dumps of dubious interpretation by ex-gf's or whatever aren't going to change that, so I can't make myself care about it too much one way or another, except to be bemused by both volume and intensity.

The silent tyranny of a closed mind.

Football: PFT insinuated during the draft lead-up that the “Fromm is a great leader with off-the-charts intangibles” narrative was pure agent-driven spin.  Didn’t take long for some of his luster to fade.  Wouldn’t be shocked if he’s another A.J. “He’s Not Who We Thought He Was” McCarron and doesn’t even survive the final cuts.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Football: PFT insinuated during the draft lead-up that the “Fromm is a great leader with off-the-charts intangibles” narrative was pure agent-driven spin.  Didn’t take long for some of his luster to fade.  Wouldn’t be shocked if he’s another A.J. “He’s Not Who We Thought He Was” McCarron and doesn’t even survive the final cuts.

We've gone full ouroboros here, so I'll just say I agree with your take on Fromm's NFL prospects.

1 hour ago, Putin said:

Continue??? What point ?? And where am I wrong ???

The point that kneeling is not about “disrespecting the flag” or the military to the people who are protesting.  It’s about making a different respectful gesture to draw attention to the fact that some people’s experience of the country is not of “liberty and justice for all”.  You absolutely don’t have to share that viewpoint, but you could at least acknowledge it.

If players kneel, I would actually expect to see players like Josh Allen and Dawson Knox kneeling as a gesture of solidarity (“one for all, all for one”).  But I would actually be surprised to hear of players pressured into kneeling if they say “in my life experience, this is what it means, and I can’t kneel because to me, that would be disrespectful”.  From what I see and year, I think that would be respected; I’ll even go out on a limb and say there are some players who would respect that stance more as being genuine than someone they think is “putting on” a stance they don’t truly believe in.

Where Brees got into trouble, seems to me (and I refer you to Shannon Sharpe’s eloquent “Undisputed” take) is in saying “And no matter your life experience and your families, this is what it should mean to YOU.”  

46 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

We've gone full ouroboros here, so I'll just say I agree with your take on Fromm's NFL prospects.

I just want to say that I’m truly impressed by the use of “ouroboros”.  That’s just a beautiful word.  Say it out loud.  See what I mean?

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

1) It has been explained at length here what the kneeling protests are about and how they have nothing to do with the flag.

2) PPP is not a preferable place for anything. It is a sewer.  If you listen closely in these threads you can hear the sound of the PPP rats crawling below.  Trying to bring perspective, logic and empathy down there is like trying to shine a fading flashlight into a rat-filled sewer: there is no real dialogue, the responses are straight out of the 4Chan far-right troll manual, you get shouted down and eventually the Rat King shows up and declares “you’re an idiot” and his subjects cackle and throw feces at you and repeat “but whatabout Hillary’s emails?” until you want to claw your own eyes out or become one of them.  It’s a horrible place and maybe one day an ambitious mod will dump a bucket of lye down that drain.

Will you be leaving the country after November?

j/k, great rant!

• Haha (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The point that kneeling is not about “disrespecting the flag” or the military to the people who are protesting.  It’s about making a different respectful gesture to draw attention to the fact that some people’s experience of the country is not of “liberty and justice for all”.  You absolutely don’t have to share that viewpoint, but you could at least acknowledge it.

If players kneel, I would actually expect to see players like Josh Allen and Dawson Knox kneeling as a gesture of solidarity (“one for all, all for one”).  But I would actually be surprised to hear of players pressured into kneeling if they say “in my life experience, this is what it means, and I can’t kneel because to me, that would be disrespectful”.  From what I see and year, I think that would be respected; I’ll even go out on a limb and say there are some players who would respect that stance more as being genuine than someone they think is “putting on” a stance they don’t truly believe in.

Where Brees got into trouble, seems to me (and I refer you to Shannon Sharpe’s eloquent “Undisputed” take) is in saying “And no matter your life experience and your families, this is what it should mean to YOU.”  

I just want to say that I’m truly impressed by the use of “ouroboros”.  That’s just a beautiful word.  Say it out loud.  See what I mean?

Kneeling during the national anthem was/is intentionally done to be disrespectful. Whether you personally feel disrespected is up to you. It is specifically done at an exact time that everyone know will bother some. If it wasn't intentional the kneeling would take place before the game, halftime, or after the game.

I have never been bothered by it, even in the beginning. I do think it is completely ineffective and silly. The story has always been more about the kneeling than the message. It also doesn't make sense to say you want to be heard and then start the process by intentionally insulting people.

• Like (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's what it will come down to won't it?  Now players who stand will be viewed as silent and complicit (even if they support their teammates).  

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Needle said:

Kneeling during the national anthem was/is intentionally done to be disrespectful. Whether you personally feel disrespected is up to you. It is specifically done at an exact time that everyone know will bother some. If it wasn't intentional the kneeling would take place before the game, halftime, or after the game.

Disrespectful would be blasting music over the anthem to interfere with other peoples' observance of it.  Making your own choice not to stand does not force your opinion on anyone else.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

We ALL want justice for ALL under the law !!! 
I haven’t heard anyone HERE say otherwise , 

With regards to kneeling during a game can 

we maybe do something similar to like a minute of silence ?  where the players can have 2,3,4,5 minutes what ever time they during every game to kneel and bring attention / awareness to injustice that we all agree still exists in this country , 

8 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Disrespectful would be blasting music over the anthem to interfere with other peoples' observance of it.  Making your own choice not to stand does not force your opinion on anyone else.

Your slow but deliberate descent from a contributing poster to the occasional troll has been sad to watch.

No reason to kneel during the national anthem unless you want to make a statement through silent disregard. I don't think too many people even care about it anymore. By the end of this season it will have the punch of the ice bucket challenge.

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Woah, don't hold back, Tell us how you Really Feel! 

Whatever one's opinion of PPP may be, the point is: "Scott's House, Scott's Rules"

If Scott feels the discussion spurred by Brees and Fromm's comments is appropriate in TSW at this time, that's how it's gonna be.   Provided it stays civil and more or less topical.

1 hour ago, Putin said:

We ALL want justice for ALL under the law !!! 
I haven’t heard anyone HERE say otherwise , 

With regards to kneeling during a game can 

we maybe do something similar to like a minute of silence ?  where the players can have 2,3,4,5 minutes what ever time they during every game to kneel and bring attention / awareness to injustice that we all agree still exists in this country ,

image.thumb.png.e68ee49db655e25b84bb0210c40c4f93.png

https://twitter.com/scarecrowbar/status/1270030842241392641/photo/1

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh my Ears and Whiskers!  I hope you're not judging either one's humanity, or one's support for badly needed anti-racism changes, by willingness to kneel in a stadium?

Not in any way to disparage the gesture, it's fine, but perhaps it is not the ultimate yardstick of meaningful efforts or committment to effect change?

The arrogance. Sorry you don't get to decide how I protest. I will do so how I see fit not to your approval or opinion. I don't tell you how to manage your apathy

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, brooklynbill said:

The arrogance. Sorry you don't get to decide how I protest. I will do so how I see fit not to your approval or opinion. I don't tell you how to manage your apathy

You missed their point.

3 hours ago, Putin said:

SOME white players will join ??? 
I think Drew B was a perfect example what will happen if God forbid any of them show respect for the flag ??  !!!  

The last  time I checked my tv, I saw thousands of young white and non black people who were pretty pissed off. Unlike Drew Brees they dont have millions or a brand to protect. Maybe they feel they were lied to, hoodwinked bamboozled and lied to for political gain.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Putin said:

Awesome thank you !!! 
I will continue to stand proud for the national anthem and salute the flag ?? of the country that I love !!! 

Good one you for excercising your right. Respect others who choose their right not to do so.

7 minutes ago, brooklynbill said:

Good one you for excercising your right. Respect others who choose their right not to do so.

I get what you are saying but I don't have to repect kneelers, and I won't respect kneelers but I also realize that it is their right to kneel.

Edited by Beast

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Makes me question the "process". Do the Bills do thorough back ground checks including social media? This was not the first issue with QB text messages.

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just to be clear, you weren't talking to me as "you" above were you?  I believe it was @Rob's House who said a survey showed 50% of blacks didn't feel racism had a major effect on their lives.  I would love to see that survey.

It doesn't have to be double blind or randomized; I just want to see something showing the study, design and the data.  Because anyone can come up and say anything, doesn't make it true.

It was at Rob House. Sorry if that was not clear

7 minutes ago, Beast said:

I get what you are saying but I don't have to repect kneelers, and I won't respect kneelers but I also realize that it is their right to kneel.

I don't need you to respect what I choose to do. I could careless how you feel. We can agree to disagree

• Like (+1) 1