Little things / simple pleasures you’ll pay $$$ for

Ok you sickos, lets keep it clean. Is it a great 6 pack of beer? A special bourbon? Some particular brand of mustard? What’s something that’s overall relatively “inexpensive” that you will pony up well above the going rate for?

I’ll go first. While wife was pregnant we took a trip out west. Vegas, Zion, Grand Canyon, Glenn Canton, Sedona. Place we stayed at in Sedona has a world class spa that has some kind of artisan soap that was just unreal. Nabbed every bit of that stuff from the room and maid carts that I could every day we were there, and order it now directly. It’s something stupid like $7 a bar but it will last me about 2 weeks, and I usually shower 2x / day. What’s your random simple pleasure you’ll throw it out there for?

Your first sentence took all the fun out of this.   

While on a cruise I came across a massage chair. You feed it dollars, it keeps massaging! That was cheap, and great pleasure to me (in a non-sicko way!). 

Fast forward a few years, we have one in our master bedroom. Cheap went out the window there, but I start almost every day with the heat, then recline, then after heating up at least a couple programs of massages. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rob's House said:

Only for those who truly appreciate the crisp refreshing flavor of German Lager made according to the purity law of 1516.

So...........is that a YES? I’m a bit thirsty!  @plenzmd1 will tell you I was around when they voted on that. It was a closer vote than expected, but in the end we won. 

(I’m sure there is no shortage of people who have seen me at a tailgate who will vouch for me on the thirsty issue. Bills games do that to me!) 

• Haha (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Augie said:

So...........is that a YES? I’m a bit thirsty!  @plenzmd1 will tell you I was around when they voted on that. It was a closer vote than expected, but in the end we won. 

(I’m sure there is no shortage of people who have seen me at a tailgate who will vouch for me on the thirsty issue. Bills games do that to me!) 

If we make it to the home opener I got one with your name on it.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Freshly roasted, often same day, Ethiopian Sidamo from a local roaster. Going to be buying 5 pounds at a time when this 2 lb bag runs out. 

Wouldn't buying 5 pounds lessen the impact of freshly roasted?

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

If anything, I suppose Pepperidge Farms Milano cookies. Just because they’re ridiculously priced compared to other store bought cookies..

love ‘em.

Meemaw, is that you?

• Haha (+1) 2

Beer. I turned into what I always scorned lol, a beer snob.

I like an IPA called Coney Island Merman (Brewed in Brooklyn). It is $10.99 per six pack and 5.8 abv., and not to be confused with their "Mermaid," a pilsner. Another IPA is from a Canadian company, Collective Arts. The beer is called "Life in the Clouds." It cost $13.99 for a 4 pack of 16 ounce cans and I can only get it at Trader Joes. It is 6.2 abv. They carry it at Wegman's in Williamsville, I bought it there last summer. They are worth every last cent, and if the price goes up I will still buy it.

Both are cloudy, hazy IPAs and absolutely perfect. I'm glad these great products were not around in my younger days when I drank 5x or 10x more than I consume today.  I am no longer able to drink Coors Light, Bud, Miller, etc., to the point where I turn it down at parties. :(

Who knew?

9 hours ago, Augie said:

Your first sentence took all the fun out of this.   

While on a cruise I came across a massage chair. You feed it dollars, it keeps massaging! That was cheap, and great pleasure to me (in a non-sicko way!). 

Fast forward a few years, we have one in our master bedroom. Cheap went out the window there, but I start almost every day with the heat, then recline, then after heating up at least a couple programs of massages. 

Why does it not surprise me you cannot move in the morning without some heat and massage.. before your breakfast of Metamucil and prune juice I am sure. 

9 hours ago, Rob's House said:

Only for those who truly appreciate the crisp refreshing flavor of German Lager made according to the purity law of 1516.

Orrrr, those who loved skunked beer in green bottles?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Beer. I turned into what I always scorned lol, a beer snob.

I like an IPA called Coney Island Merman (Brewed in Brooklyn). It is $10.99 per six pack and 5.8 abv., and not to be confused with their "Mermaid," a pilsner. Another IPA is from a Canadian company, Collective Arts. The beer is called "Life in the Clouds." It cost $13.99 for a 4 pack of 16 ounce cans and I can only get it at Trader Joes. It is 6.2 abv. They carry it at Wegman's in Williamsville, I bought it there last summer. They are worth every last cent, and if the price goes up I will still buy it.

Both are cloudy, hazy IPAs and absolutely perfect. I'm glad these great products were not around in my younger days when I drank 5x or 10x more than I consume today.  I am no longer able to drink Coors Light, Bud, Miller, etc., to the point where I turn it down at parties. :(

Who knew?

Oh this is sad.

I like some snooty beers (not too hoppy and no fruits), but I won't turn down a Coors Banquet or a PBR on a hot day, etc, etc.

My "pay extra" are cigars.

And some nice bacon from the butcher.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Wouldn't buying 5 pounds lessen the impact of freshly roasted?

They are only open on Thursdays and Saturdays. It’s not always convenient to get there once a week. Even if it’s a few weeks old in a sealed container, compared to other options, it’s still “freshly” roasted to me.  And having 5 pounds available means I’ll have it more than just on weekends as a special treat. Have been buying Starbucks Sumatra for years but the change is delicious.