Rodgers in GB ( old article)

stuvian

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

So every $30M QB is just going to go out there and win with one good wr and bums?  It’s not a good recipe for success.  Look at what these teams are doing?  Everyone is loading up on playmakers.  Who won the SB?   Superstar QB with the most playmakers in the league. Sure mahomes is amazing.  Rodgers is amazing too.  We have no idea how good Rodgers would be in KC.  He’s stats are regressing.....because he has no one to throw the ball to except adams.

The KC D stepped up but they’re hardly good. The chiefs won with a dominant O and timely D.  The packers could’ve loaded up on O this offseason and put themselves in position to make a run.  

Funchess is a starter on a team with terrible WRs.  So was Kelvin Benjamin.  He’s not good.  There’s a difference between not sucking and being good.  Funchess is NOT good.  He’s just there. He won’t be on the packers next year.  He probably won’t be in the league in 3 years.

San Fran destroyed the Pack with a devastating run game. The Packers drafted an RB, a TE, and 3 OL.

This is why this argument is so silly. Apparently they just needed to draft WR’s. RB’s, TE’s and OL don’t help QB’s. They are abandoning Aaron Rodgers to die!!!!

Very overdramatic.

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Two reasons.  Rodgers was a much more highly touted prospect than Love as their was debate about him possibly going #1 while Love was barely considered a first round pick and is a huge project.  The Packers only took Rodgers because he fell to them at #24 and couldn't pass on the value.  Also, Favre had already started his yearly retirement talks so they didn't even know at the time if he'd be back that year for sure.  

If Tua or Herbert fell to them at #30 then I'd be all for drafting Rodgers eventual replacement.  All they did by drafting Love was waste a 1st round pick on somebody that won't help them win now.  It's just going to create a toxic locker room for a quarterback that compares more with Bortles as a prospect than Mahomes.  

So basically, it was a waste because you don’t think Love will succeed. I wonder if some folks in 2005 thought the same thing.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I agree with this.  It is the most obvious actual scenario as far as the Packers are concerned.

2007 rating 95.7/4155 yards/28 TD/15 int

2009: 107.2 rating/4202/33/7

It's confirmed: you don't know what "falling off a cliff" is.

Why skip 2005 and 2006?  I said he fell of a cliff the year they drafted Rogers.  Which was 2005.  I didn't say anything inaccurate.  Go find someone else to bicker with.  

Edited by soflabillsfan1

13 minutes ago, FireChans said:

San Fran destroyed the Pack with a devastating run game. The Packers drafted an RB, a TE, and 3 OL.

This is why this argument is so silly. Apparently they just needed to draft WR’s. RB’s, TE’s and OL don’t help QB’s. They are abandoning Aaron Rodgers to die!!!!

Very overdramatic.

So basically, it was a waste because you don’t think Love will succeed. I wonder if some folks in 2005 thought the same thing.

Now change premise.  But it’s cool.

My original point:  the packers really screwed up by not drafting a WR in one of the best WR drafts ever.    Why? Because their WRs sucked last year other than Adams.  Everyone with working eyeballs noticed that their offense would’ve been markedly better if they had better wr options.  You noticed too.  You have working eyeballs, no?

My other point:  Rodgers can win a super bowl if given the proper team around him.  Not just WRs.  Defense too.  I thought Queen should’ve been the pick instead of Love.  Someone that can help one of the best QBs ever win another SB.  

I have no problem with them drafting Love, but I feel bad for AR and if I were him, I’d be pissed.  

I feel that if I were the packers GM, the only thing I’d be worried about this year is putting my team in its best position to win a super bowl the next two years. It’s a two year league.  Things change in an instant.  They were a win away from the SB.  You have an all time great qb.  Win now

• Like (+1) 3

58 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Definitely a wasted pick.  Love almost threw as many picks as touchdowns last year.  It's even more damaging than a wasted pick though because it creates a toxic locker room.  Huge mistake by the Packers that will likely cost LaFleur his job down the road.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Ok....then you put them on the team.....and add another WR this year.  Or Patrick Queen.  Or someone that can help them win games THIS year.  

I get it.  They love love.  They’re planning for the future.  They will pay for it in the present....while they’re paying AR 30m to not win a SB.  

Just trade him

This would not be the first year they would be paying him for that. It’s been 10 years.  

They won 13 games last year without all that.  

1 hour ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

Why skip 2005 and 2006?  I said he fell of a cliff the year they drafted Rogers.  Which was 2005.  I didn't say anything inaccurate.  Go find someone else to bicker with.  

Because you don’t “fall off a cliff” and then magically appear at the summit again.  

You clearly meant that he was done.  There would be no other reason to make your comment.  

23 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Definitely a wasted pick.  Love almost threw as many picks as touchdowns last year.  It's even more damaging than a wasted pick though because it creates a toxic locker room.  Huge mistake by the Packers that will likely cost LaFleur his job down the road.

Yeah, was not a fan of Love.  And he doesn't help them in any way this year, and instead, as you said, could possibly hurt them.  If he doesn't become a franchise QB by the end of the 2022 season, assuming LaFleur is still there, he'll be a goner then for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Yeah, was not a fan of Love.  And he doesn't help them in any way this year, and instead, as you said, could possibly hurt them.  If he doesn't become a franchise QB by the end of the 2022 season, assuming LaFleur is still there, he'll be a goner then for sure.

Is 2021 Rodgers's last season?

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

This would not be the first year they would be paying him for that. It’s been 10 years.  

They won 13 games last year without all that.  

Because you don’t “fall off a cliff” and then magically appear at the summit again.  

You clearly meant that he was done.  There would be no other reason to make your comment.  

So that makes it ok?  

Exactly.  They won 13 games without great playmakers and bleh defense.   So wouldn’t you think “imagine how many we’d win if we had a better defense and playmakers?”  

nah.....lets draft our all time QBs replacement so he can sit and watch for 3-4 years.  

I just see it as a waste of a great opportunity.  The packers pray that love can ever be as good as Rodgers is right now.  So why not take your shot now?

if the coach has a problem with Rodgers.  Trade him

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

So that makes it ok?  

Exactly.  They won 13 games without great playmakers and bleh defense.   So wouldn’t you think “imagine how many we’d win if we had a better defense and playmakers?”  

nah.....lets draft our all time QBs replacement so he can sit and watch for 3-4 years.  

I just see it as a waste of a great opportunity.  The packers pray that love can ever be as good as Rodgers is right now.  So why not take your shot now?

if the coach has a problem with Rodgers.  Trade him

He's untradeable.

They are not a rookie playmaker from a SB.  No way.

The FO figured this out.  So, just like the franchise did 15 years ago, they drafted the replacement for their HOF QB a few years before they needed to replace him (and at a time they were struggling to advance in the playoffs).......AND they got a top 10 pick near the bottom of the 1st round.  They aren't going to be picking in the top 10 for as long as Rodgers is starting.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Now change premise.  But it’s cool.

My original point:  the packers really screwed up by not drafting a WR in one of the best WR drafts ever.    Why? Because their WRs sucked last year other than Adams.  Everyone with working eyeballs noticed that their offense would’ve been markedly better if they had better wr options.  You noticed too.  You have working eyeballs, no?

My other point:  Rodgers can win a super bowl if given the proper team around him.  Not just WRs.  Defense too.  I thought Queen should’ve been the pick instead of Love.  Someone that can help one of the best QBs ever win another SB.  

I have no problem with them drafting Love, but I feel bad for AR and if I were him, I’d be pissed.  

I feel that if I were the packers GM, the only thing I’d be worried about this year is putting my team in its best position to win a super bowl the next two years. It’s a two year league.  Things change in an instant.  They were a win away from the SB.  You have an all time great qb.  Win now

I’m not changing premises, the general argument appears to be that the GB FO has “screwed” Rodgers.

What WR should they have drafted? Maybe they didn’t see the value in who was available. Your answer will likely be “someone!” Should they have taken Isaiah Hodgins? Would everyone stop crying then?

Aaron Rodgers, prior to 2019, was 10-12-1 as a starter in the past two seasons. His new GM took over last year, and his new coach took over this year. And Voila, 13 wins and an NFCCG appearance. Are they really “screwing” Rodgers by not nominally drafting some bum WR? He hasn’t thrown over 30 TD’s in 4 seasons. He’s a game manager and they are acting accordingly. Run the ball, play defense. See what the Pats did two years ago, loading up on the run game. 

Oh, and the Pats somehow drafted a bunch of QB’s and no one EVER cried about like Rodgers’ fans.

44 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I will enjoy watching Jordan Love in 4 years and linking this post.

15 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He's untradeable.

The FO figured this out.  So, just like the franchise did 15 years ago, they drafted the replacement for their HOF QB a few years before they needed to replace him (and at a time they were struggling to advance in the playoffs).......AND they got a top 10 pick near the bottom of the 1st round.  They aren't going to be picking in the top 10 for as long as Rodgers is starting.

I don’t remember folks saying the Pats should trade Brady because they drafted Jimmy G and it’s just so unfair to Tom!!!

This has gotten ridiculous. Maybe John Brown should demand a trade because we traded for Diggs and drafted Gabe Davis to replace him in 2 years. Somebody save John Brown!!!!

6 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I’m not changing premises, the general argument appears to be that the GB FO has “screwed” Rodgers.

What WR should they have drafted? Maybe they didn’t see the value in who was available. Your answer will likely be “someone!” Should they have taken Isaiah Hodgins? Would everyone stop crying then?

Aaron Rodgers, prior to 2019, was 10-12-1 as a starter in the past two seasons. His new GM took over last year, and his new coach took over this year. And Voila, 13 wins and an NFCCG appearance. Are they really “screwing” Rodgers by not nominally drafting some bum WR? He hasn’t thrown over 30 TD’s in 4 seasons. He’s a game manager and they are acting accordingly. Run the ball, play defense. See what the Pats did two years ago, loading up on the run game. 

Oh, and the Pats somehow drafted a bunch of QB’s and no one EVER cried about like Rodgers’ fans.

I will enjoy watching Jordan Love in 4 years and linking this post.

I don’t remember folks saying the Pats should trade Brady because they drafted Jimmy G and it’s just so unfair to Tom!!!

This has gotten ridiculous. Maybe John Brown should demand a trade because we traded for Diggs and drafted Gabe Davis to replace him in 2 years. Somebody save John Brown!!!!

This team did the same exact thing when they drafted Rodgers!  Yet now it's a disaster!

Look the Packers had a 2018 Bears season, except with an aging franchise QB instead of a rookie.  They did better than anyone figured they would.  But that team is full of holes.  Aaron Rodgers is NOT the workout/health freak that Brees/Brady are.  After a year of dealing with him, LaFleur and the FO are comfortable they are NOT one 1st rounder away from winning the NFCC.  Who in the right mind would argue with them??  

This whole thing isn nuts.  This is the 2005 Packers, nothing more.  They aren't going to get their franchise QB 2 years from now in the back of the 1st round.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

This team did the same exact thing when they drafted Rodgers!  Yet now it's a disaster!

Look the Packers had a 2018 Bears season, except with an aging franchise QB instead of a rookie.  They did better than anyone figured they would.  But that team is full of holes.  Aaron Rodgers is NOT the workout/health freak that Brees/Brady are.  After a year of dealing with him, LaFleur and the FO are comfortable they are NOT one 1st rounder away from winning the NFCC.  Who in the right mind would argue with them??  

This whole thing isn nuts.  This is the 2005 Packers, nothing more.  They aren't going to get their franchise QB 2 years from now in the back of the 1st round.  

I don't know why Rodgers has such staunch defenders either.

When Big Ben was just getting fatter and older, and freaked out when the Steelers drafted Mason Rudolph, everyone thought the pick was completely reasonable.

But when Rodgers faces the same scenario, it's the ultimate organization betrayal. Bizzarro world stuff.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, FireChans said:

I don't know why Rodgers has such staunch defenders either.

When Big Ben was just getting fatter and older, and freaked out when the Steelers drafted Mason Rudolph, everyone thought the pick was completely reasonable.

But when Rodgers faces the same scenario, it's the ultimate organization betrayal. Bizzarro world stuff.

On a team that did the same thing.....to obtain Rodgers!

It's nuts for sure.

16 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

On a team that did the same thing.....to obtain Rodgers!

It's nuts for sure.

And I like Love as a guy to sit. Think it gives him a chance. The tools are there but not sure he was ready to be an instant starter.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And I like Love as a guy to sit. Think it gives him a chance. The tools are there but not sure he was ready to be an instant starter.

A top 10 pick who has the luxury to sit for a few years.  Unheard of opportunity.  

I think this was a solid move.  As solid as it was 15 years ago

The simple answer to this is “not yet”. The guy is 36, not everyone can be Brady and play at a high level until they are 42. Father Time is not on Rodgers side. How soon people forget that it actually used to be a thing to draft a QB and let him sit and learn as a rookie. Love will be put in every situation to succeed. You aren’t precluded from preparing for the future just because you have an aging QB and don’t want to hurt his feelings. 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

He's untradeable.

No, they weren’t 1 player away from winning a super bowl.  You act as if the pick they used on a backup QB in 2020 is the only draft pick they had.  Like the packers couldn’t sign any free agents.  That pick just turns out to be their best asset.  

This last year they were one game short of the SB. How far can the team be?  Much closer than several other teams that are making a run and trying to win now.  

No more time wasted here.  I think they should go all in to win while they can with AR.   I’d be doing everything I can to give him what he needs to win.   

They didn’t.  They probably won’t win another SB with AR.  I’m over it.  

• Like (+1) 1