Rodgers in GB ( old article)

stuvian

9 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

The pack may have a worse year, but how do the fans in KC feel after they drafted a QB when they were still in the “window”.

KC had won more than 10 games 4 out of 5 years with Smith, he was consistently getting better - including have his best season ever the year they drafted Mahomes.  They made a choice of a QB - when many thought another stud defender could push them to the top.  That decision worked out and many fans were not happy at first, but winning fixes everything.

Pretty sure that is what he was saying.  

What player pushes them over the edge - none - so why is everyone fired up that a potential replacement 3-4 years down the road is so bad.  

I was agreeing with him lol.

51 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The only way it makes sense is if they thought Love was a once in a generation prospect.  Rodgers has four years left on his contract and they'd have to wait until after the 2022 season if they don't want to swallow a ton of dead money.  They were one win from the Superbowl and they could've used that pick to address their offensive line or provide Rodgers with a #2 WR opposite Devante Adams in a WR rich draft.  On top of that they gave up a 4th round pick to move up fro Love and drafted a RB.  This is the kind of draft that would make more sense next year at the earliest.

Did they think Rodgers was a generational prospect?  Probably not.  Did they need help at other positions other than "backup QB" in 2005?  Definitely.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Are you seriously trying to compare Alex Smith to Aaron Rodgers?  Come on man.  Then you follow that up trying to compare Love to Mahomes?  My god.

For KC to get over the hump they needed to improve at QB and they did.  Green Bay needs some WRs, and what did they do?

No - not comparing the players at all, but the situation is very similar.  Most “experts” thought KC would have been better off with the 2 draft picks rather than a QB that was not going to help them in that year.  They were coming off a divisional round loss and were well in the window.

The organization made a decision that the next step needed to be better QB play and that is what they got.

Why can GB not be looking at Rodgers and thinking over the next few years we are going to need get better QB play to stay on top.

Plus tell me - what WR should they have picked that improves them significantly.  Maybe the coach and GM recognize what they want out of the QB position and maybe Rodgers doesn’t give them what they want long term.  He will need to be replaced - they are starting the planning before it is to late.

• Like (+1) 1

Why are people surprised the Packers and Eagles drafted quarterbacks that have some talent?

Quarterbacks get hurt and they like to retire suddenly. 

A team's championship aspirations often depend on how much you paid attention to your backup plan at quarterback.  

The whole problem with the Packers way of doing things is that the entire enterprise lived and died on Aaron Rodger's ability to stay healthy.   It was so fragile.  

6 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

No - not comparing the players at all, but the situation is very similar.  Most “experts” thought KC would have been better off with the 2 draft picks rather than a QB that was not going to help them in that year.  They were coming off a divisional round loss and were well in the window.

The organization made a decision that the next step needed to be better QB play and that is what they got.

Why can GB not be looking at Rodgers and thinking over the next few years we are going to need get better QB play to stay on top.

Plus tell me - what WR should they have picked that improves them significantly.  Maybe the coach and GM recognize what they want out of the QB position and maybe Rodgers doesn’t give them what they want long term.  He will need to be replaced - they are starting the planning before it is to late.

It's not like Love is some out of left field pick:  look at the mocks--he was projected in several to go in the top 10  or top 20. 

57 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If not WR, then what?  Who would have put them over the top?  This team has had 10 years to get Rodgers back to the SB---and he was a lot better 4-6 years ago.

This may be the best opportunity to draft a QB they have until Rodgers walks away.  He's on his last legs.  why not have a guy they "love" all ready to go?  This is how Rodgers got on the Packers. 

This is most likely the packers best opportunity to win a Super Bowl in the next 5 years.  Now they are further away from a SB.  

Take Deebo Samuel off of the niners, do they make the super bowl?

take AJ brown off the Titans.  Do they make the AFCCG?  

Add one of those guys to the packers and you never know what would’ve happened.  Their WR unit was pathetic minus Adams.  

I truley can’t believe they didn’t select one WR in this draft. If I were a packer fan, I’d be calling for the GMs head.  100%.  

if you want to take a qb first, so be it.  THEY DIDN’T TAKE ONE WR in the entire draft.  A draft in which was loaded with WR talent. 

Unless they have something up their sleeve, not drafting one WR was a major fail.  

And that has nothing to do with the drafting of Jordan Love

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Did they think Rodgers was a generational prospect?  Probably not.  Did they need help at other positions other than "backup QB" in 2005?  Definitely.

Rodgers was a QB who some thought would go number one over Alex Smith and he fell due to not taking the draft interview and pre-draft process seriously with teams other than the 49ers. I think Rodgers at pick 24 was such an insanely good value for the Packers who had an aging QB. My argument would be that the Packers are better off drafting a QB next year and going for it now by drafting Rodgers a player to help him the next 3-4 years. QB's play longer now at a higher quality than they did in the 2000's when QB were rarely effective in their late 30's let alone early 40's. 

Rodgers has 4-5 good to great years left, why draft a player now in the first round when you have a good team that could use a handful of pieces around its QB now esp in a good WR draft?

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

This is most likely the packers best opportunity to win a Super Bowl in the next 5 years.  Now they are further away from a SB.  

Add one of those guys to the packers and you never know what would’ve happened.  Their WR unit was pathetic minus Adams.  

I truley can’t believe they didn’t select one WR in this draft. If I were a packer fan, I’d be calling for the GMs head.  100%.  

if you want to take a qb first, so be it.  THEY DIDN’T TAKE ONE WR in the entire draft.  A draft in which was loaded with WR talent. 

Unless they have something up their sleeve, not drafting one WR was a major fail.  

Unless they are planning on signing AB or making a trade for a WR that is not known to be on the market (or possibly acquiring a WR in the supplemental draft if one is there) I don't see where they could upgrade the WR position at this point in the off-season. 

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

They drafted two WR’s last year. They signed Funchess. They have Davante Adams who is already a super star.

Rodger’s does not have zero weapons. They are hardly the 2018 Bills at WR.

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I totally agree with this - their draft was terrible and did very little to help them.  I think that is the case regardless of drafting Love in the first.  The next WR was not going to push them to Super Bowl heights.  They had plenty of chances to improve the offense after that pick and chose not to draft any WRs at all.

I just don’t think that and Love have to be intertwined.  Picking Love was not their biggest issue, but the rest of the draft was not good and that will be a problem as they move forward.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Rodgers was a QB who some thought would go number one over Alex Smith and he fell due to not taking the draft interview and pre-draft process seriously with teams other than the 49ers. I think Rodgers at pick 24 was such an insanely good value for the Packers who had an aging QB. My argument would be that the Packers are better off drafting a QB next year and going for it now by drafting Rodgers a player to help him the next 3-4 years. QB's play longer now at a higher quality than they did in the 2000's when QB were rarely effective in their late 30's let alone early 40's. 

Rodgers has 4-5 good to great years left, why draft a player now in the first round when you have a good team that could use a handful of pieces around its QB now esp in a good WR draft?

Unless they are planning on signing AB or making a trade for a WR that is not known to be on the market (or possibly acquiring a WR in the supplemental draft if one is there) I don't see where they could upgrade the WR position at this point in the off-season. 

Yes.  That’s my point.  They screwed up by not signing/drafting any WRs.  Devin **** **** **** Funchess.......

devin funchess is the best WR they added after a season in which the entire world was saying “wow, the packers WRs really suck minus davante adams”. 

27 minutes ago, FireChans said:

They drafted two WR’s last year. They signed Funchess. They have Davante Adams who is already a super star.

Rodger’s does not have zero weapons. They are hardly the 2018 Bills at WR.

Yeah.  Those 2 WRs they drafted last year are awesome......

yeah, they gave davante adams......and those 2 superstar WRs they draftered last year.

devin funchess.  That’s my point.  

he has 1 weapon and a couple jags.  

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yes.  That’s my point.  They screwed up by not signing/drafting any WRs.  Devin **** **** **** Funchess.......

devin funchess is the best WR they added after a season in which the entire world was saying “wow, the packers WRs really suck minus davante adams”. 

yeah, they gave davante adams......and those 2 superstar WRs they draftered last year.

devin funchess.  That’s my point.  

he has 1 weapon and a couple jags.  

Lol Aaron Rodgers doesn’t have a $30M cap hit because he needs 3 superstar WR’s.

Devin Funchess is a starter in this league. The two WR’s have shown something, the one was on IR all year. They may like their weapons and not see the value in getting a Gabe Davis.

The Packers are simply not 1 player away, whether it’s a WR in the fourth or one in the first. 

• Like (+1) 1

I didn’t even want them to draft a WR rd 1.  When I saw them trade up, I was confidant that they were drafting Patrick Queen.  The middle of that D is soft.  Then go WR rd 2.  

after getting crushed by the niners like that, addressing the run D was a must.  They lost Martinez and replaced him with the oft injured Kirksey.  Oren Burks is their other ILB and he hasn’t done squat in 2 years.  Queen and kirksey gave them a chance. 

they eventually drafted kamal martin, but I’m not sure if he’s starting material atm.  Dunno enough about him.

36 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Put Samuel or Brown on the Packers and they still don't beat the 49ers in the NFCC game. 

34 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

If this had any chance of being true, they wouldn't have drafted Love.  It's clear that the Packers FO don't agree with this. 

19 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I agree I was just elaborating that Rodgers in 2005 was actually a much better prospect than Jordan Love. You said that Rodgers wasn't a generational prospect when the Packers drafted him I disagreed because he was in the running to be a top pick and only fell because of his own pride and not anything related to his game or other major issues. So at pick 24 Rodgers in 2005 was too good to pass up. However Jordan Love is a nice QB prospect but not a prospect that you can't find in other drafts. I think passing up on a Tee Higgins or another WR prospect for a QB that isn't a steal at pick 26 is a mistake.

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If this had any chance of being true, they wouldn't have drafted Love.  It's clear that the Packers FO don't agree with this. 

The Packers got ride or Farve and he had a decent season in 2008 with the Jets and a great season in 2009 with the Vikings, so it isn't like teams aren't willing to get rid of a player a year too early. The Packers are always a QB farm they are willing to get rid of Rodgers sooner and they want a QB in place. But I think you could have easily drafted a QB next year of the same caliber as Jordan Love and had 2-3 years to develop him. Help you generational QB now instead of taking a chance on a fairly OK prospect. 

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Lol Aaron Rodgers doesn’t have a $30M cap hit because he needs 3 superstar WR’s.

Devin Funchess is a starter in this league. The two WR’s have shown something, the one was on IR all year. They may like their weapons and not see the value in getting a Gabe Davis.

The Packers are simply not 1 player away, whether it’s a WR in the fourth or one in the first. 

So every $30M QB is just going to go out there and win with one good wr and bums?  It’s not a good recipe for success.  Look at what these teams are doing?  Everyone is loading up on playmakers.  Who won the SB?   Superstar QB with the most playmakers in the league. Sure mahomes is amazing.  Rodgers is amazing too.  We have no idea how good Rodgers would be in KC.  He’s stats are regressing.....because he has no one to throw the ball to except adams.

The KC D stepped up but they’re hardly good. The chiefs won with a dominant O and timely D.  The packers could’ve loaded up on O this offseason and put themselves in position to make a run.  

Funchess is a starter on a team with terrible WRs.  So was Kelvin Benjamin.  He’s not good.  There’s a difference between not sucking and being good.  Funchess is NOT good.  He’s just there. He won’t be on the packers next year.  He probably won’t be in the league in 3 years.

6 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I agree I was just elaborating that Rodgers in 2005 was actually a much better prospect than Jordan Love. You said that Rodgers wasn't a generational prospect when the Packers drafted him I disagreed because he was in the running to be a top pick and only fell because of his own pride and not anything related to his game or other major issues. So at pick 24 Rodgers in 2005 was too good to pass up. However Jordan Love is a nice QB prospect but not a prospect that you can't find in other drafts. I think passing up on a Tee Higgins or another WR prospect for a QB that isn't a steal at pick 26 is a mistake.

The Packers got ride or Farve and he had a decent season in 2008 with the Jets and a great season in 2009 with the Vikings, so it isn't like teams aren't willing to get rid of a player a year too early. The Packers are always a QB farm they are willing to get rid of Rodgers sooner and they want a QB in place. But I think you could have easily drafted a QB next year of the same caliber as Jordan Love and had 2-3 years to develop him. Help you generational QB now instead of taking a chance on a fairly OK prospect. 

Nah.

Love was a top 10 pick/prospect.  To get him where they did after a 13-3 year as Rodgers is fading out.  It's exactly what they did in 2005.  And there was a lot of chatter about Rodgers before that draft----very little of it was that he was a "generational player".  And that was a pretty weak class other than Alex Smith.

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/packers/203116571.html

Love seems a better prospect.

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Put Samuel or Brown on the Packers and they still don't beat the 49ers in the NFCC game. 

Ok....then you put them on the team.....and add another WR this year.  Or Patrick Queen.  Or someone that can help them win games THIS year.  

I get it.  They love love.  They’re planning for the future.  They will pay for it in the present....while they’re paying AR 30m to not win a SB.  

Just trade him

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

I understand, but why is it different than with Favre?  He had 4 years left on his contract when they drafted Rodgers.  They let Favre play 3 more years and then moved him to the NYJs using their control on the contract.  That gave Rodgers years to get ready and allowed them to have some control over where Favre ended up.

I can see this playing out the same - Rodgers really can’t be moved for at minimum 2 years and probably 3 - so you have time to see if Love can be the guy - if not you take another shot.  If he seems to progress - then you have the ability to move Rodgers to an AFC team after 3 years and recoup something.  If he does not progress you have the 2022 draft to try again.

Two reasons.  Rodgers was a much more highly touted prospect than Love as their was debate about him possibly going #1 while Love was barely considered a first round pick and is a huge project.  The Packers only took Rodgers because he fell to them at #24 and couldn't pass on the value.  Also, Favre had already started his yearly retirement talks so they didn't even know at the time if he'd be back that year for sure.  

If Tua or Herbert fell to them at #30 then I'd be all for drafting Rodgers eventual replacement.  All they did by drafting Love was waste a 1st round pick on somebody that won't help them win now.  It's just going to create a toxic locker room for a quarterback that compares more with Bortles as a prospect than Mahomes.  

Edited by Doc Brown