Which 6-8 players/positions will the Bills pay big money to?

Logic

15 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Depends on what is big money. But Carolina, Beane and McDermott, paid Keuchly and Davis top 10 LB money in their prime.

OK Found it.  5 years 36.5M in 2011 Or 7.3M AAV.  Yeah that sounds like a good value, so adding some inflation. (19% inflation is what the last 10 years has been in the US).  

An AAV for Milano would be 8,687,000

So That screams a 9M AAV, which is probably about what the Value of a Top End WLB should be

Edited by MAJBobby

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

This is a bit hard as a couple are already paid in reality but will list him anyway, the 6-8 I would pay are:

1. Josh Allen (Eventually, 2022).

2.  Stefon Diggs (already above 10M)

3. Mitch Morse (Already abov 10M)

4. Dion Dawkins (This year)

5. Ed Oliver (2023)

6. Tremaine Edmunds (2022)

7. Matt Milano (this year) (though I think he doesn't make 10M a year when it is done)

8. Tre White - (Next year)

There is you immediate Core IMO  The Issue it which one falls off to pay your DE.  I think that would be a combination of Hughes and Murphys pay (to pay the new Core DE) and the other DE would be the middle class NFL player

We should be drafting rookie replacements for Morse and Dawkins ASAP. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

We should be drafting rookie replacements for Morse and Dawkins ASAP. 

I think they will wait a year for the Morse replacement, I also think they like Dawkins alot more than some on this board do

12 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Depends on what is big money. But Carolina, Beane and McDermott, paid Keuchly and Davis top 10 LB money in their prime.

True but those Panthers defenses didn't have anything close to a safety tandem like Hyde/Poyer, they needed to be exceptional through the middle. 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

I think they will wait a year for the Morse replacement, I also think they like Dawkins alot more than some on this board do

If you watch the game replays you can see Dawkins getting undressed by speed rushers every other week. Dawkins is as average as they come and should be playing LG or RT. 

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

True but those Panthers defenses didn't have anything close to a safety tandem like Hyde/Poyer, they needed to be exceptional through the middle. 

They also really didnt pay Davis that much.  In todays money his big extension in his prime would have been 5 years 43.435M.  That would be an ideal contract for Milano.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, hjnick said:

This was a topic I was thinking of bringing up but more of a 'which positions would you pay big money contracts to?' instead of people.

For me, this has nothing to do with the player or how good they are, just where you want to distribute the money at which position.

I can't see us paying top dollar for 2 linebackers.  That is a lot of money at one position, when you could use it for a more impact player at DE or CB.

A couple of years down the road when we are paying Allen (35MIL+), Diggs (15MIL+ new contract?), Dawkins (13-15MIL+), White (15-18MIL+), plus field a team... The money will dry up fast. 

Let Diggs perform to earn it.  All those highlights in MINN don't mean anything.  And, I think he has several years to go.  If he sits out, lettem sit....no more caving like the Jason Peters situation.  And, Oliver has not shown his chops yet....likely will, but you never know.

Edited by bigK14094
Added comment
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

If you watch the game replays you can see Dawkins getting undressed by speed rushers every other week. Dawkins is as average as they come and should be playing LG or RT. 

I dont think Dawkins is a Top end LT.  I would probably put him at around 15th LT, but I also think the Bills like him more than most do, but I am sure that like still has a cap and I dont think that cap would be top 5 money

2 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

That is not at all what I saw last season. He was very good and one of the reasons I feel confident he will be locked up long term asap

Just now, bigK14094 said:

Let Diggs perform to earn it.  All those highlights in MINN don't mean anything.  And, I think he has several years to go.  If he sits out, lettem sit....no more caving like the Jason Peters situation.

At no point have I heard or Read anything from Diggs asking to redo his contract

This is a bit hard as a couple are already paid in reality but will list him anyway, the 6-8 I would pay are:

5. Ed Oliver (2023)

7. Matt Milano (this year) (though I think he doesn't make 10M a year when it is done)

There is you immediate Core IMO  The Issue it which one falls off to pay your DE.  I think that would be a combination of Hughes and Murphys pay (to pay the new Core DE) and the other DE would be the middle class NFL player

Agree with this

17 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

OK Found it.  5 years 36.5M in 2011 Or 7.3M AAV.  Yeah that sounds like a good value, so adding some inflation. (19% inflation is what the last 10 years has been in the US).  

An AAV for Milano would be 8,687,000

Actually you would go by cap%. In 2011 the cap was $120 million. $7.3 million in 2011 was 6% of the cap. 6% of the cap in 2020 is $11.8 million. Next year the cap will jump a lot due to extra revenue from more games.

But that's based on Thomas Davis who was IMO a better player. So I think $10 million is reasonable but wouldn't be shocked with $12 million based on where the cap is going.

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

That is not at all what I saw last season. He was very good and one of the reasons I feel confident he will be locked up long term asap

I would like to see Allen take a lie detector test and answer.

1. Do you feel confident in Dawkins blocking your blind side.

2. Do you feel like both OT positions on this team can be upgraded.

3. Is the reason you run so much not  by design but because of the pressure that you feel from your OT’s.

The reason I dont think Milano will over 10M as well is because of the exact thing the scout said.  Really you only need one 3 down backer because of the sub packages.  That would be Edmunds.  So they can use the leverage against Milano.  And Milano could eventually be replaced with a specialized LBer.  Adding slots to the roster on game day will also give that flexibility.  It might take 2 backers to Fill what Milano brings, but that could easily be the leverage that they use to keep his contract team friendly

You and several other people have said you don’t think Milano will get paid. 

I disagree. I think they value having TWO three-down LBs more than most teams. See: Thomas Davis and Luke Kuechly. 

I also think they’ll pay Milano because they won’t have to pay Oliver or Edmunds for a few more seasons and don’t have to pay Allen quite yet, so they have the money to sign Milano. As the paydays for Oliver and Edmunds approach, they’ll have another decision to make on Milano. I think they’ll keep bringing in guys like Vosean Joseph to try to hit on an eventual Milano replacement, but I expect him to play a few more years in Buffalo.

As someone else said in this thread, not everyone will get paid at the same time, so we can stagger things accordingly. As such, and with no other big money committed at linebacker, I believe Milano gets a second contract here.

5. Ed Oliver (2023)

1.  Allen if he makes a jump this year.  

2.  White is the first of the new guys to reach his potenital and needs to be rewarded.

3. Morse was a needed presence to stabilize the offense.  

4. Edmunds similar to Allen, he makes a jump in play he could be a peranial defensive player of the year. 

5.  Diggs already paid.  If he becomes the number 1 everyone expects its a no brainer.

Thats it right now.  I think Oliver has a possibility.  Dawkins and Milano are entering contract years and im inclined to let it play out.  LT is a position that is

a premier position.  I think this is a critical time.  Building around the right guys and paying for production and leadership. 

I think edge defender and OT are positions that need to be invested in the next 2 years.  Dawkins maybe the guy, but idk if hes top 10, 15.  If hes not dont over pay.

Edited by Mat68

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Actually you would go by cap%. In 2011 the cap was $120 million. $7.3 million in 2011 was 6% of the cap. 6% of the cap in 2020 is $11.8 million. Next year the cap will jump a lot due to extra revenue from more games.

But that's based on Thomas Davis who was IMO a better player. So I think $10 million is reasonable but wouldn't be shocked with $12 million based on where the cap is going.

And I wouldn't go to that 12M.  the position just doesn't call for that.

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

I disagree. I think they value having TWO three-down LBs more than most teams. See: Thomas Davis and Luke Kuechly. 

I also think they’ll pay Milano because they won’t have to pay Oliver or Edmunds for a few more seasons and don’t have to pay Allen quite yet, so they have the money to sign Milano. As the paydays for Oliver and Edmunds approach, they’ll have another decision to make on Milano. I think they’ll keep bringing in guys like Vosean Joseph to try to hit on an eventual Milano replacement, but I expect him to play a few more years in Buffalo.

As someone else said in this thread, not everyone will get paid at the same time, so we can stagger things accordingly. As such, and with no other big money committed at linebacker, I believe Milano gets a second contract here.

I think he will get paid.  I also just don't think it will be as much as people think it will.  But in my first post I have him seeing his second contract, but then also expanded that he is the odd man out if I had to make a choice.

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

Nice topic

We will have a mix of starters with a bunch of guys earning market wage, a few free agency steals and a few on the rookie scale. The key point is that this mix will keep changing. Now we have money tied up on the D-line and WR positions and very little on CB / QB. Subsequently, we will have to pay the CBs and QB and might have to rely on FA steals and rookie scale to fit things into the cap. Of course, we can always push cap hits into the future by reworking deals to maintain a dynasty and relying on the cap increasing (like with the Pats). We have hit on our draft picks the past 3 years and will have to shell out moolah going forward. The saving grace for us is that the cap is likely to go up right around the time Allen & Co are ready for their second contract - that should ease the burden a bit.

So till our rookies get to the second level - we pay big money to D line [Hughes, Addison, Lotueilei, Jefferson, Murphy - still think he will take a paycut]. Nice thing is all these big contracts are short term. We also have Mitch Morse and Diggs making big money.

In the transition period, we some guys off the D-line (& Morse) come off from big money and, in a staggered fashion,  Milano (1), Dawkins (1), Tre (1), Edmunds (2), Harry (2), Allen (2), Oliver (3), Ford (3), Knox (3) start getting paid when (not if) they enjoy continued success on the field. Didnt include Motor, Fournette etc. since this side of Saquan and CMC, no RB is going to be paid big bucks. Tre, Edmunds, Allen and Oliver will likely command top 5 money at their positions. Milano, Dawkins, Ford, Knox will likely get top 15  money for their positions and Harry may get top backup money. 

So 3 years from now - I expect to see 

Diggs, Milano, Dawkins, Tre, Edmunds, Harry, Allen, Oliver, Ford, Knox and a couple of other FAs make significant money. Hopefully, we would have drafted some D-linemen, Olinemen, CBs, Safeties and WRs and keep those on a rookie scale as well. 

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

But money is finite.  Edmunds is up for a renegotiate next year.  Same with Allen.  I think the long play is extend Edmunds and Allen early.  Get them at 80 to 90 cents to the dollar vs 1.20 by waiting to the end.  If Milano can add some size, and can slide to the mike in some syb packaging I would be more inclined paying him.  I think Edmunds next step is being a pass rusher and moved around the formation week in and week out.