and the Layoffs begin @ Pegula Sports

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I'm pretty comfortable concluding he didn't.  Russ did. And McD filled in the gaps.

No reason to believe otherwise.  And no, given Pegula's history with both the Bills and the Sabres, it would be laughable to suddenly believe he can cull Jr. GM talent on his own in either league.  Stop marrying the absurd for once.  He made a great hire in McD and it went firm there with Beane for all of the obvious reasons I've cited.

So Russ, a guy you thought was a buffoon, was the master?  LOL!  OK.

5 hours ago, Mango said:

Boy, we are really in the meat of a drought eh? Finding a GM is hard or there are other factors that we don't know about that might be at play...The reality is that just about all professional sports teams owners don't have the qualifications to be making roster decisions, which is why most will use their leagues resources to help find somebody who does. 

and yet... using all those resources still can't find a GM or hire someone who can find a GM that has any kind of sustained success. I'm sure, that all those resources brought to bear by all those owner are really just lacking your keen insight. Here's hoping they recognize your genius soon.

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

So Russ, a guy you thought was a buffoon, was the master?  LOL!  OK.

Lol, no.  Not any master.  But he knew everyone.  

You're making this too hard, doc--why die on that hill? 

Pegula isn't that guy---and it's OK, because McD was/is.  He brought in his bro.  It all has worked out.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Lol, no.  Not any master.  But he knew everyone.  

You're making this too hard, doc--why die on that hill? 

Pegula isn't that guy---and it's OK, because McD was/is.  He brought in his bro.  It all has worked out.

I'm not the one twisting myself into a pretzel trying to claim that Terry couldn't have known who Beane was despite interviewing for a GM job months before.  Or that Terry had no option but to hire Beane.  That's just continued silliness. 

If McD had so much pull, he would have demanded Beane be hired when he was.  And if Brandon were so connected, he'd still be in the league.  Maybe Beane should be recommending him to people? :lol:

1 minute ago, Doc said:

I'm not the one twisting myself into a pretzel trying to claim that Terry couldn't have known who Beane was despite interviewing for a GM job months before.  Or that Terry had no option but to hire Beane.  That's just continued silliness. 

If McD had so much pull, he would have demanded Beane be hired when he was.  And if Brandon were so connected, he'd still be in the league.  Maybe Beane should be recommending him to people? :lol:

Beane interviewed with the 49ers, not the Bills "months before".  

The other guys the Bills interviewed--2 were perfunctory.

Brandon is out because he couldn't keep his dik in his pants.  And he wasn't a good FO guy overall.  But he no doubt knew far more about other teams' FO's  than Terry Pregula. (did I even have to type that? LOL).    He hired a soccer coach to coach the Sabres!  lol.

If you asked Pegula on New Year's Eve 2016 who the Panthers Asst GM was, you would have heard:  "hominahominahomina...."

And that's OK.  He's the owner.

12 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Ok. T/O you two.

Its a Draw.

lol ok

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Ok. T/O you two.

Its a Draw.

Actually, I won awhile ago.  I've just been humoring weo.

You see, the fact of the matter is that an owner ultimately gets the credit for a good hire...and the blame for a bad one.  Most owners rely on others to get information for them regardless of when exactly they learned of someone.  The Bills interviewed 4 candidates, 3 of whom had more experience than Beane, and he chose Beane.  He was under no obligation to hire him.  Therefore Terry gets the credit.

It's just funny that people will bash Terry for the Sabres and then refuse to give him for the Bills.  But that's how some like to roll.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

As a marketing exec, I completely concur with another billionaire who “gets it”. Mark Cuban says how companies treat workers during pandemic could define their brand 'for decades'. The excuse-making around here for the Pegulas is pathetic. They are tone-deaf and clueless. Would love to see either’s horsepower in a corporate environment such as Microsoft or Amazon ... where you have to have a brain and common sense as well. Talk about timing being key; in any other life this dude and his wife would be shleps in real life from net worth standpoint ... you know, the way they are from character standpoint.

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, SeattleBills said:

As a marketing exec, I completely concur with another billionaire who “gets it”. Mark Cuban says how companies treat workers during pandemic could define their brand 'for decades'. The excuse-making around here for the Pegulas is pathetic. They are tone-deaf and clueless. Would love to see either’s horsepower in a corporate environment such as Microsoft or Amazon ... where you have to have a brain and common sense as well. Talk about timing being key; in any other life this dude and his wife would be shleps in real life from net worth standpoint ... you know, the way they are from character standpoint.

Jealousy is difficult I guess.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SeattleBills said:

As a finance exec, I'd say that was spoken like a marketing exec.  You guy always just burn through the cash without a second thought!  :lol:

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SeattleBills said:

Would love to see either’s horsepower in a corporate environment such as Microsoft or Amazon 

Apples to kumquats.    The Pegulas business experience involved drilling holes in the ground.   It was a small business in terms of employment, with only 300 workers at its peak:

http://www.bradfordera.com/news/shell-buys-east-resources-for-4-7-billion/article_28e43836-072d-5dca-b43a-89bce8ae879f.html

And even then, they didn't appear to be too professional in terms of management or efficiency:

https://www.rigzone.com/news/oil_gas/a/125523/As_Big_Drillers_Move_In_Safety_Goes_Up

A firm called East Resources Inc. was among the first to drill into the Marcellus Shale, a rock layer found to be rich in natural gas. As the small wildcatter drilled, starting in 2008, regulators repeatedly cited it for spills or other environmental infractions, almost two for every shale well it drilled.

In 2010 Royal Dutch Shell PLC bought East Resources. The first thing the oil giant did was shut down the rigs for two weeks and retrain the workers. Since taking over, Shell has averaged less than one violation for every four wells.

http://frack.mixplex.com/content/east-resources

On July 2, 2010, ProPublica reported wastewater from a nearby East Resources gas well leaked into a field and came in contact with farm animals resulting in a state-ordered quarantine of 16 cows.

"Tests performed for East Resources Inc., found hazardous chemicals and heavy metals, including chloride, barium and strontium. East did not dispute that a leak had occurred."    Reuters reported that a survey by Pennsylvania Land Trust Association, based on data from state regulators found that East Resources committed the most violations, 138, followed by Chesapeake Appalachia LLC with 118, and the privately held Chief Oil & Gas Corp. with 109.

Further reading:

https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/East_Resources

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SeattleBills said:

You have 14 posts and most of them are about the Pegulas.  Nothing suspicious here.  

• Like (+1) 3

Pegulas... they are poor just like us! It is pretty insane that a company as big as PSE, who holds 2 huge sports teams, didn't have a plan if a disaster hit. 

7 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I wonder if the Athletic will retain their Buffalo bureau once all we have left are AHL and XFL teams?

Buffalo would do very well with an XFL team. 

1 minute ago, MassHog said:

Pegulas... they are poor just like us! It is pretty insane that a company as big as PSE, who holds 2 huge sports teams, didn't have a plan if a disaster hit. 

Buffalo would do very well with an XFL team. 

I agree but I wouldn't trade one for the Bills.