and the Layoffs begin @ Pegula Sports

22 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They started so well but panicked after Bylsma and Murray didn't make the playoffs. All they had to do was hire the right head coach. The roster wasn't that far off. Botterill and Housley were a disaster.

how did they start well?

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

A lot of people are laying off and/or furloughing employees that’s not uncommon right now.

With that being said, I’m on record, years ago, for saying that the Pegulas didn’t know how to run the business side of sports. Everyone hated Russ Brandon but he was really the man making those organizations go from that side. I know a LOT of people with both the Bills and Sabres and that’s 100% true (and has been forever). Now they had no choice but to let him go with what was going on. However, they let other strong business minds walk out of the door as well. Now you are seeing the results.

There are/were 30+ people between those 2 organizations more capable of running the business than Terry and Kim. of course they have the right to take control as it’s their money. At the same time you don’t see other owners running the day-to-day in many cases. The Pegulas taking control, especially of the Sabres, has been a nightmare. Forntunately, on the Bills side, they have such a strong football ops department it has insulated the other half of the operation (business operations). The Bills product, and brand, are so strong right now they will be fine. If we get back to a decade ago though the house of cards on the business side will come crashing down as well.

They desperately need to hire someone to fill the role that Russ held. The need a high end sports executive to come in and really own the day-to-day. I have someone in mind but don’t know if he’d be interested. He currently holds that position elsewhere but would be EXACTLY what they need.

Have to agree - was a headscratcher when Kim was put on top of PSE.  

46 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Agreed.  As long as that business runs a profit, they will keep it, no matter how awful the product is.  If it regularly loses money they will for sure cash out.

If the team were to somehow lose money, they'd just reign-in spending  I don't think they have any intention of opening the team up for sale/relocation.

42 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

The Pegulas have run the Sabres into the ground.

The franchise is completely irrelevant outside of WNY. 

They didn't run the Bills into the ground, which is more important.  Did they get lucky there, unlucky with the Sabres? 

38 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

A lot of people are laying off and/or furloughing employees that’s not uncommon right now.

With that being said, I’m on record, years ago, for saying that the Pegulas didn’t know how to run the business side of sports. Everyone hated Russ Brandon but he was really the man making those organizations go from that side. I know a LOT of people with both the Bills and Sabres and that’s 100% true (and has been forever). Now they had no choice but to let him go with what was going on. However, they let other strong business minds walk out of the door as well. Now you are seeing the results.

There are/were 30+ people between those 2 organizations more capable of running the business than Terry and Kim. Of course they have the right to take control as it’s their money. At the same time you don’t see other owners running the day-to-day in many cases. The Pegulas taking control, especially of the Sabres, has been a nightmare. Forntunately, on the Bills side, they have such a strong football ops department it has insulated the other half of the operation (business operations). The Bills product, and brand, are so strong right now they will be fine. If we get back to a decade ago though the house of cards on the business side will come crashing down as well.

They desperately need to hire someone to fill the role that Russ held. The need a high end sports executive to come in and really own the day-to-day. I have someone in mind but don’t know if he’d be interested. He currently holds that position elsewhere but would be EXACTLY what they need.

I'm bored so I'll take a case at your candidate.  Dennis Lauscha?  NFL experience, also runs a successful small-market winter sports team, and has experience with special events (e.g., NCAA post-season events, all-star games, etc.). 

29 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

There are/were 30+ people between those 2 organizations more capable of running the business than Terry and Kim. Of course they have the right to take control as it’s their money. At the same time you don’t see other owners running the day-to-day in many cases. The Pegulas taking control, especially of the Sabres, has been a nightmare. Forntunately, on the Bills side, they have such a strong football ops department it has insulated the other half of the operation (business operations). The Bills product, and brand, are so strong right now they will be fine. If we get back to a decade ago though the house of cards on the business side will come crashing down as well.

I've never understood why the Pegula's didn't hire someone to look over the franchises and offer recommendations for each when they finalized each purchase.  They've pretty much gone with management they inherited, fired them, hired new people, and the process began anew again.  At least with the Bills they found someone (McD) who had a plan and had connections (Beane) who've organized that franchise. 

I'd expect that having someone to manage those franchises day to day would be a high priority.  But you're right, their attempt at running the Sabres has been amateur hour and it sounds like they're not willing to relinquish that.  They're trending into Daniel Snyder territory with their ineptness.  

And, could something else is going on behind the scenes.  Pure speculation, but financially are they over-leveraged? 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

If the team were to somehow lose money, they'd just reign-in spending  I don't think they have any intention of opening the team up for sale/relocation.

They didn't run the Bills into the ground, which is more important.  Did they get lucky there, unlucky with the Sabres? 

It's hard to run an NFL franchise into the ground given the sports popularity. 

The first couple years under Whaley were a mess, but they seem to have found something with Beane and McDermott. 

Hockey is way less popular. You actually have to put a good team on the ice or have a team in Canada where demand for the sport is extreme. 

3 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

It's hard to run an NFL franchise into the ground given the sports popularity. 

The first couple years under Whaley were a mess, but they seem to have found something with Beane and McDermott. 

Hockey is way less popular. You actually have to put a good team on the ice or have a team in Canada where demand for the sport is extreme. 

I meant "run into the ground" as in the team continuing with the drought.  I guess "keep it on the ground" would have been more appropriate.

As for the Sabres, Golisano spent little on the team and they made the playoffs regularly.  I don't understand what's going on there considering the money Terry has spent on the team and with the success of the Bills.

32 minutes ago, Doc said:

They are saving pennies by laying off wage earners.  They won't tolerate lost millions, doc.

After their Rex debacle, they left it to those who know what they are doing.  No so with the Sabres. 

The NFL is a far different animal than NHL.  If you or I had the 1.4 billion entry fee, we too could be raking in tens of millions of free money annually as well as the Pegulas do.  And won as many games to date.

Edited by Mr. WEO

14 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I'm bored so I'll take a case at your candidate.  Dennis Lauscha?  NFL experience, also runs a successful small-market winter sports team, and has experience with special events (e.g., NCAA post-season events, all-star games, etc.). 

Not a bad guess but no. He’s experienced but very weak IMO. Additionally, he’s basically a part of the Benson family. He’d be an upgrade but that would be like upgrading to Marcus Mariota. PSE needs someone younger and more innovative. 

18 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

I've never understood why the Pegula's didn't hire someone to look over the franchises and offer recommendations for each when they finalized each purchase.  They've pretty much gone with management they inherited, fired them, hired new people, and the process began anew again.  At least with the Bills they found someone (McD) who had a plan and had connections (Beane) who've organized that franchise. 

I'd expect that having someone to manage those franchises day to day would be a high priority.  But you're right, their attempt at running the Sabres has been amateur hour and it sounds like they're not willing to relinquish that.  They're trending into Daniel Snyder territory with their ineptness.  

And, could something else is going on behind the scenes.  Pure speculation, but financially are they over-leveraged? 

That’s been floated out a few times recently. I can’t speak to that directly but it’s certainly possible. Apparently, they’ve treated the Sabres as a stepchild over the last few years. 

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s been floated out a few times recently. I can’t speak to that directly but it’s certainly possible. Apparently, they’ve treated the Sabres as a stepchild over the last few years. 

It’s certainly possible. I have no idea what their assets are, but a lot of energy people invest heavily in related sectors. If the Pegulas are heavy on fossil fuel, pipelines, etc right now they could be hemorrhaging capital. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Well they certainly gutted them.

I woudn't call it a gutting. Getting suggests they sold off assets. Terry and Kim spent plenty of money... unfortunately on the wrong regimes.

But it does remind me how back in 2014 when people were lauding them for saving the Bills, I assumed they would become the most hated people in town within two years. 

Edited by PromoTheRobot

1 hour ago, jrober38 said:

The Pegulas have run the Sabres into the ground.

The franchise is completely irrelevant outside of WNY. 

Yeah, it was really booming before they came in...

24 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Not a bad guess but no. He’s experienced but very weak IMO. Additionally, he’s basically a part of the Benson family. He’d be an upgrade but that would be like upgrading to Marcus Mariota. PSE needs someone younger and more innovative. 

I disagree. Terry loves hockey and the Sabres. The problem is his moves have not panned out. They didn't do so well on the Bills either until they hit on McDermott.

I have wondered what this does to any new stadium plans? There is no way the league could force them to build a billion dollar facility. They might extend the lease at NewEra Field another 10 years. Good news for @Hammered a Lot.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Lucky bastards, they will make twice as much as us essential works right now, and all be rehired back when everything  goes back to normal.  They should enjoy there summer and not worry.

This summer going to be lit !!!

clownlito on Twitter: "Y'all don't even know yet but summer 2020 ...

Edited by clearwater cadet
Picture added
  • Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

They are saving pennies by laying off wage earners.  They won't tolerate lost millions, doc.

After their Rex debacle, they left it to those who know what they are doing.  No so with the Sabres. 

The NFL is a far different animal than NHL.  If you or I had the 1.4 billion entry fee, we too could be raking in tens of millions of free money annually as well as the Pegulas do.  And won as many games to date.

As clearwater cadet suggested, those workers are probably making more on unemployment.  Again if the Sabres were losing money, they'd make cuts that save millions, not pennies.

Who hired McDermott and Beane?

Yeah, the NFL ensures owners make money.  No argument there.  I'm just glad they're winning games again.

24 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I woudn't call it a gutting. Getting suggests they sold off assets. Terry and Kim spent plenty of money... unfortunately on the wrong regimes.

But it does remind me how back in 2014 when people were lauding them for saving the Bills, I assumed they would become the most hated people in town within two years

Why?  Saving the Bills from Bon Jon Bovi and the Toronto group should have given them a much much longer honeymoon period.

• Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I disagree. Terry loves hockey and the Sabres. The problem is his moves have not panned out. They didn't do so well on the Bills either until they hit on McDermott.

I have wondered what this does to any new stadium plans? There is no way the league could force them to build a billion dollar facility. They might extend the lease at NewEra Field another 10 years. Good news for @Hammered a Lot.

He has spent about 10% of the time around there that he used to. That’s where this is coming from.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Some of this does not jive. The bills turned around when Russ Brandon stopped calling the shots and was eventually removed. Then he came in towards the end of his tenure with the Sabres but they were already in a bad situation and he did not help. He appear to make a bad organization move to just below 500 and nothing more and sell tickets. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

As clearwater cadet suggested, those workers are probably making more on unemployment.  Again if the Sabres were losing money, they'd make cuts that save millions, not pennies.

Who hired McDermott and Beane?

Yeah, the NFL ensures owners make money.  No argument there.  I'm just glad they're winning games again.

Why?  Saving the Bills from Bon Jon Bovi and the Toronto group should have given them a much much longer honeymoon period.

They would cut the Sabres.  Since they can't tolerate losing pennies (as billionaires), they aren't going to watch millions burn, doc.

They hired them (see my post above).  Actually they hired McD--he told them to get his buddy Beane.  So they did.

Was the "Toronto Group" the same as "The Kelly Group"?  So many groups!

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Actually yeah, head hurts. Thanks for asking.

3 hours ago, teef said:

Need ibuprofen?  I have the big tabs. 

Cyanide is more effective but make sure you take the big dose since there are not hospital beds to recover in.