and the Layoffs begin @ Pegula Sports

10 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I put up with Ralph for decades because the thought of having no Bills was worse. This isn't enough for me to break out my torch and pitchfork.

I agree and Bills should be ok with Beane in charge but the Sabres are a mess and that is frustrating

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I put up with Ralph for decades because the thought of having no Bills was worse. This isn't enough for me to break out my torch and pitchfork.

That's basically where I'm at.  Keep dragging them Tim, it means nothing to me.  I still like the bills and sabres.

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

I took ti to mean that the Pegulas are focusing on the Bills.  Because they're the gravy train.

Possibly the only thing they own currently that might spin a profit in 2020.

Edited by dneveu

5 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Possibly the only thing they own currently that might spin a profit in 2020.

It will.  I can't see them forfeiting all the TV money, even if it means they need to spend several million per team in testing.

Seems like someone has an ax to grind...

Do people really expect the Pegulas to not have layoffs when the entire country is laying off employees?

And news flash, people who get fired don't usually have anything nice to say about the organization who fired them. Nothing they say is reliable. At all. Also, nobody who is fired believes that they were fired for a good reason.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, May Day 10 said:

I cant read the article.

Sabres have been run into the ground though.  I had to dump my season tickets last month as I cant in good conscious spend almost $3,500 on a product that gives me nothing but frustration.  

It's a lot more of the same of what the guys from the athletic have been saying on twitter for weeks.  Essentially dragging them for the layoffs and everything going on at PSE.  

1 hour ago, Doc said:

The VC provides money.  The startup still needs to run the business.  If Terry had no business sense, they would have owned him and/or have run the business into the ground. 

There are a lot of talented people who never make anywhere close to billions of dollars.  To paint him as someone just along for the ride is disingenuous at best.

Go back an reread my posts. To conclude that I said what you think I said is perplexing.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Geologists are pretty smart people

I agree. That's the reason that he is a billionaire. 

Edited by JohnC

49 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Yep. In order to turn a profit drilling oil in the US the price per barrel needs to be like $20-30. It's at like $4 per barrel right now due to Sauidi Arabia's and Russia's oil war.

Gas prices will plummet, but the energy industry in the US is about to tank hard.

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

I learned that

• Two sources close to Bills head coach Sean McDermott say the January meetings left him concerned about low morale eroding the culture he and general manager Brandon Beane have cultivated over the past three years with a meticulous, holistic attitude.
  • ...A league source took note of that proclamation, saying “That’s the Pegulas sending a message to their NFL peers that their other business decisions are not impacting their competitiveness. Roger Goodell pays attention to things like that.” 
  • future stadium and arena costs — newly built or renovated — already have been incorporated into their business decisions.
  • Today, the price of natural gas is $1.78, and oil is at $17.66 a barrel (actually, $7.50 bbl as I type this).

Curious.  Why are you such a vociferous defender of the premise this story is wrong or biased?   Do you have any direct knowledge of the situation that would refute Graham's research? 

If the two anonymous sources are legit, I'll give you the first bullet point.  That is concerning.  

Point two - I figured as much on my own

Point three - not sure what that really means

Point four - I knew they were low.  Good to get the up to the minute pricing.........Actually, shows to me that they have legit concerns all over their businesses - and aren't just being aholes.

I'm not saying it's wrong, but I am saying it's biased - and an incredibly long and boring story saying the same thing over and over again.  If you don't think it was set up to be a biased hit piece, I don't know what to tell you.  His "research" is not reaching out to a a sample of a number of employees.  His "research" is putting up a tweet saying disgruntled employees, let's hear your story! 

The only article that went on with the same thing over and over in a worse way was Vogl's so called interview with Larry Quinn.  Every paragraph was him saying "it makes no sense"  

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

That's basically where I'm at.  Keep dragging them Tim, it means nothing to me.  I still like the bills and sabres.

If he and the rest of the media and social media keep dragging them, you might not have either team to like for long.  

8 minutes ago, MJS said:

Yep. In order to turn a profit drilling oil in the US the price per barrel needs to be like $20-30. It's at like $4 per barrel right now due to Sauidi Arabia's and Russia's oil war.

Gas prices will plummet, but the energy industry in the US is about to tank hard.

The US price of oil just went NEGATIVE! Below zero. Why should someone whose wealth is based on gas and oil be worried?

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

They are reportedly losing 20-30M per year on the Sabres per Tim Graham

That's doubtful.  While Forbes has only 4 teams losing more than 10 million (last data was for 2018-19 season), the Sabres they had at 1.9 million operating revenue.  They lead the NHL annually on Local TV ratings. They took in 135 million against player costs of only 77 million.  Of the 9 teams with lower revenue, 6 lost money.  Only the Panthers were over 20 million in the red.

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The US price of oil just went NEGATIVE! Below zero. Why should someone whose wealth is based on gas and oil be worried?

All restaurants closed, all sports teams making 0 income, all hotels likely operating on a loss... 

Since he sold his company though, how much of his income is actively tied up in the US oil prices?  I'm sure a large portion of his income would be tied up in hedge funds, as any wealth management person would emphasize diversification over pure investment in oil futures.  

I think he probably still owns oil rich land, but selling that now wouldn't be particularly wise.  This is probably where his net worth comes from outside of the bills.  I doubt anyone is currently buying when more oil is getting stored in warehouses than normal.  Plus why sell something for 10cents on the dollar now, when it could be worth significantly more in like 5 years?

So where's cash coming from?  

I don't feel bad for billionaires, and i don't sympathize with these issues.  I'm just trying to rationally look at this situation and understand maybe why they're doing things the way they are.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

That's doubtful.  While Forbes has only 4 teams losing more than 10 million (last data was for 2018-19 season), the Sabres they had at 1.9 million operating revenue.  They lead the NHL annually on Local TV ratings. They took in 135 million against player costs of only 77 million.  Of the 9 teams with lower revenue, 6 lost money.  Only the Panthers were over 20 million in the red.

If they went from 1.9 million to -20 million i think i would probably fire a lot of people too...

• Like (+1) 1