3 Liquors for life

BarleyNY

You only ever get to drink 3 main liquors and 5 lower alcohol mixers for the rest of your life.  Go. 

Scotch

Tequila

Gin

Dry Vermouth (Martini)

Sweet Vermouth (Negroni)

Campari (Negroni)

Cointreau (Margarita, creme brûlée dessert)

St. Germain (Champagne cocktail for in the summer when I’m feeling pretty)

Sorry bourbon and rye, you and your mixers didn’t make the cut.  I will miss you.  Otherwise that’s a fully stocked bar for me.  Plus probably some vodka (yuck) for company.

Dude, all you had to do was say Whiskey and you got Scotch, Rye, Bourbon, etc. all covered.

Whiskey

Rum

Vodka

Angostora Bitters

Martini Dry Vermouth

Kahlua for white russians

Ginger beer for mules

that's all i need.

Edited by Mark80

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

You only ever get to drink 3 main liquors and 5 lower alcohol mixers for the rest of your life.  Go. 

Scotch

Tequila

Gin

Dry Vermouth (Martini)

Sweet Vermouth (Negroni)

Campari (Negroni)

Cointreau (Margarita, creme brûlée dessert)

St. Germain (Champagne cocktail for in the summer when I’m feeling pretty)

Sorry bourbon and rye, you and your mixers didn’t make the cut.  I will miss you.  Otherwise that’s a fully stocked bar for me.  Plus probably some vodka (yuck) for company.

Barley doesn't like Rye???

For me:

Bourbon

Cognac

Third one is a toss-up between gin, vodka and tequila

My lower alcohol mixers will be:

Wine (including champagne)

Beer

Irish Creme (mostly for coffee)

Amaretto (mostly for deserts)

If forced to reduce to only ONE alcoholic beverage (perish the thought) I'd probably opt for champagne (or any GOOD dry sparkling wine) as it goes with just about everything.

Beer and wine are the most important, but I'll go with:

Whiskey (seems like it's kind of cheating to get Scotch/Bourbon/Rye with one pick, but what the heck)

Gin - summer at beach requires a G&T

Tequila - gotta have a margarita every now and then

4 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Beer and wine are the most important, but I'll go with:

Whiskey (seems like it's kind of cheating to get Scotch/Bourbon/Rye with one pick, but what the heck)

Gin - summer at beach requires a G&T

Tequila - gotta have a margarita every now and then

I’m a wine then beer guy. It used to be the reverse order, but as I age it flips. 

As for liquor, you nailed tequila. I love a good margarita on the rocks with salt at a nice Mexican place from time to time. I used to have an occasional Bloody Mary at brunch, but that’s too long ago to even count. One Bloody is good, two is the max. Just too rich to keep going. 

I had a gin and tonic 40 years ago that I still remember for how refreshing it was on a hot day. I wouldn’t want to make a habit of it. I have enough problems. 

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m a wine then beer guy. It used to be the reverse order, but as I age it flips. 

As for liquor, you nailed tequila. I love a good margarita on the rocks with salt at a nice Mexican place from time to time. I used to have an occasional Bloody Mary at brunch, but that’s too long ago to even count. One Bloody is good, two is the max. Just too rich to keep going. 

I had a gin and tonic 40 years ago that I still remember for how refreshing it was on a hot day. I wouldn’t want to make a habit of it. I have enough problems. 

I tend to go in cycles, influenced by the season.   Winter is a wine heavy season so we're just coming out of that and I've loaded up on various beers for April.  Enjoying one of these right now for happy hour:

wolf-back-ipa-home.png

On the liquor side, vodka at first seemed like a hard give because it's so versatile, but I find it's not really ever necessary, more of a default option.  There's no option if you're at a good Mexican restaurant -- you NEED tequila.    As for G&T, I grew up with those....fond memories of the folks....and now the staple drink for two weeks on Cape Cod with my BIL and his Irish wife who's always pouring.