Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BuffaloBills1998

Buffalo Bills worst draft choices.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

With the draft coming up I wanted to know some of  your guys lists on the worst players we ever drafted here.

 

mine starts off with Aaron Maybin, Mike Williams, Willis McGahee, CJ spiller, JP Losman, Trent Edwards, Dante Whitner, Erik Flowers, James Hardy, and John McCargo, EJ Manuel etc

Edited by BuffaloBills1998
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You pretty much listed all of them since the turn of the century.  I'll add Torrell Troup and Cyrus Kouandjio.  McGahee and Watkins are in the same boat.  They had okay careers (mostly outside of Buffalo) but definitely weren't worth giving up a 1st rounder for.

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

You pretty much listed all of them since the turn of the century.  I'll add Torrell Troup and Cyrus Kouandjio.  McGahee and Watkins are in the same boat.  They had okay careers (mostly outside of Buffalo) but definitely weren't worth giving up a 1st rounder for.

Yep. Plus this thread pops up every damn year..🤬

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

You pretty much listed all of them since the turn of the century.  I'll add Torrell Troup and Cyrus Kouandjio.  McGahee and Watkins are in the same boat.  They had okay careers (mostly outside of Buffalo) but definitely weren't worth giving up a 1st rounder for.

Kouandjio lol, forgot all about him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

With the draft coming up I wanted to know some of  your guys lists on the worst players we ever drafted here.

 

mine starts off with Aaron Maybin, Mike Williams, Willis McGahee, CJ spiller, JP Losman, Trent Edwards, Dante Whitner, Erik Flowers, James Hardy, and John McCargo, EJ Manuel etc

Where's Sammy?

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a point to just creating a list of bad draft choices?  Do you have some intention for this thread?

  • Like (+1) 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TJ Graham over Russell Wilson. End thread. :D

 

 

The one that really annoyed me was Leodis McKelvin in 2008. Leodis wasn't the worst player in the world and it was before I really watched college football so I can't pretend to have been an expert but I just remember Jason Peters was already starting to play up over a contract and the Langston Walker experiment had been a disaster and I remember it being talked of as a decent tackle draft. I really wanted Branden Albert but there was Ryan Clady, Duane Brown and Chris Williams (who was a bust and did eventually end up here playing 4 games at guard then getting injured) as well. We still had decent corners on the roster I think as well.  I don't hate drafting defensive backs early.... I am not @Bill from NYC I liked the Gilmore pick and the White pick and taking Darby early.... but that one McKelvin just never made any sense to me from a roster building perspective.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

Is there a point to just creating a list of bad draft choices?  Do you have some intention for this thread?

No, honestly I’m just working graveyard tonight and I’m trying to entertain myself lol. Minus that everyone has a different opinion and list and I’m curious 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

TJ Graham over Russell Wilson. End thread. :D

 

 

The one that really annoyed me was Leodis McKelvin in 2008. Leodis wasn't the worst player in the world and it was before I really watched college football so I can't pretend to have been an expert but I just remember Jason Peters was already starting to play up over a contract and the Langston Walker experiment had been a disaster and I remember it being talked of as a decent tackle draft. I really wanted Branden Albert but there was Ryan Clady, Duane Brown and Chris Williams (who was a bust and did eventually end up here playing 4 games at guard then getting injured) as well. We still had decent corners on the roster I think as well.  I don't hate drafting defensive backs early.... I am not @Bill from NYC I liked the Gilmore pick and the White pick and taking Darby early.... but that one McKelvin just never made any sense to me from a roster building perspective.

I didn’t like McKelvin much either but I never viewed him as being one of the worst though.

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

Is there a point to just creating a list of bad draft choices?  Do you have some intention for this thread?

Did you have a better idea?

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

 

I didn’t like McKelvin much either but I never viewed him as being one of the worst though.

 

Not as a player himself, no. But to me that was a decision that never made sense. Like Losman or even Maybin.... bad players but we took a shot on a Quarterback and we did need an edge rusher now they were poor talent evaluations but at least they had identified the right problems with the roster. 

 

The thing about the McKelvin pick was not just that they overdrafted McKelvin.... it was that the thought process was flawed from the get go from a roster building perspective. 

1 minute ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Forgot about him. Wasn’t he one of Whaley’s last picks?

 

We do this a lot but Whaley was not running that draft. McDermott was. McDermott gets the credit for Tre White, Dion Dawkins and Matt Milano. But he also gets the blame for Zay Jones. 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

 

Not as a player himself, no. But to me that was a decision that never made sense. Like Losman or even Maybin.... bad players but we took a shot on a Quarterback and we did need an edge rusher now they were poor talent evaluations but at least they had identified the right problems with the roster. 

 

The thing about the McKelvin pick was not just that they overdrafted McKelvin.... it was that the thought process was flawed from the get go from a roster building perspective. 

 

We do this a lot but Whaley was not running that draft. McDermott was. McDermott gets the credit for Tre White, Dion Dawkins and Matt Milano. But he also gets the blame for Zay Jones. 

Funny enough i had never even heard of JP Losman until he got drafted, was completely clueless as I didn’t know his college background or anything. My first reaction was Who the ***** is this guy?

Edited by BuffaloBills1998
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Torrell Troup one pick ahead of Gronk and Watkins over Khalil Mack hit the hardest. Mack might bother me more because how did the organization scouts not have a front row seat for two years?  I know Troup battled injury too, but these two guys would have been hometown heroes. 

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

No, honestly I’m just working graveyard tonight and I’m trying to entertain myself lol. Minus that everyone has a different opinion and list and I’m curious 

I didn’t like McKelvin much either but I never viewed him as being one of the worst though.

The PICK was up there with the worst when you consider who they passed on. McKelvin was a fairly good player after 3 or 4 years. I have said over and over, a player can be "good" and still be a horrible draft selection. When your OL sucks and you pass on Branden Albert to take a so-so corner, or even one who is "good," you are hurting your football team.

 

A strong case could be made that Donte Whitner was "good." Now, let's count the games that he won for us.

 

 

41 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Where's Sammy?

Another great example of good player/bad pick. Whaley gave away the store for Sammy, who was "good." A case could be made for VERY good (I btw am in that camp). The thing is, we had huge QB issues, and there was at least one other top receiver we could have stayed put and drafted, along with a boat load of other tremendous players.

This is what makes him a bad pick imo.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Erik Flowers - John Butler's parting gift to the organization. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

warning this may induce vomiting:

 

Walt Patulski - first pick of entire draft - at least he got traded for a #2 which turned out to be Joe Delvin who played well for us for years

 

more 70s misses

 

Phil Dokes -

the Nebraska twins (LBs Rudd and Nelson)

Tom Cousineau - never signed - went to CFL and Browns after crapping big-time on Buffalo

Rueben Gant - as in can't - TE

 

80s whiffs

Booker Moore - Guillen barre disease

Tony Hunter - TE from ND taken before Jim Kelly

Perry Tuttle - beware WRs from Clemson

 

90s super bowl misfit

 

Darryl Williams (and his flame ######ant jersey)

 

20th century busts

Erik Flowers - John Butler reach

Aaron Maybin

JP Losman - not just a number 1 but we traded more pick

Leo McKelvin (first cb taken in the entire draft)

Torrell Troupe (2nd rounder taken right before Gronk)

 

Edited by First Round Bust
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best training camp QB ever. Nate "the great" Peterman. I know he was only a 5th round pick, but I just couldn't help myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, GymShorts84 said:

Torrell Troup one pick ahead of Gronk and Watkins over Khalil Mack hit the hardest. Mack might bother me more because how did the organization scouts not have a front row seat for two years?  I know Troup battled injury too, but these two guys would have been hometown heroes. 

Troup is the definition of the why we were never good then- he was a low cieling guy who got a very defined role and then failed at it. Picking guys early with very defined roles is dumb, pick players who can do it all and try to coach up specific abilities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...