Jump to content
YoloinOhio

NFL draft will be “fully virtual” - club personnel will draft individually from home

Recommended Posts

I'm actually really looking forward to this draft. For one thing, it will be the first one in quite a few years I won't be working on days one, and two. But, I'm also really interested to see how they cover it. I've always been pretty bored by the location coverage of various screaming fans, and pretty much everything that happens on the stage itself. The whole "gala" atmosphere is a snore, if you ask me. Not watching the creepy "Goodell Hug" is a bonus, also. I expect to see a lot more tape on the players being drafted, and hopefully whatever format they land on should be a little more educational, and a little less faux-glamor schlock.

  • Like (+1) 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

I hope they invest in some serious league wide DDOS protection, as well as have protocols in place for if there are other internet issues.

 

But now having said that, I can see a new scandal arising in the Pats pretending to have connection issues to cheese out extra time to call around for trades and whatnot.

lol, I think the other 31 teams will be the ones mysteriously having connection issues...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Greg S said:

https://theweek.com/speedreads/907329/mlb-reportedly-discusses-possible-may-return-nofan-games-arizona

 

Didn't know where to put this but baseball wants to get started in May. All games in Arizona with no fans. If MLB pulls this off then you know the NFL will have a season even with no fans.

Yup seems like a litmus test of sorts. Also the nba is looking at finishing their season with all teams in Vegas using quick testing and then playoffs in July/August 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Dr Krentist said:

Beane on draft day

 

 

Bill O'Brien on draft day

 

giphy.gif

 

 

Edited by DJB
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, RiotAct said:

it’ll go smoothly.  They’ll have a backup plan in case Zoom (or whatever technology they end up using) craps out on them.

It's called the telephone. Don't GM's phone their pick in from the war room anyways?

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

49 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

It's called the telephone. Don't GM's phone their pick in from the war room anyways?

I assume he’s referring to the communication within each front office and team with limited time ticking down Between picks, not the actual calling in of the pick. They are used to being able to turn just To their side and talk to the guy next to them. Having to text or call if their zoom meeting (or whatever platform they will use) crashes is much different when things are going a hundred miles a minute. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I'm sure they can do a teleconference over the phone. That would be less complicated, I would think.

 

Telegraph might work just as well. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

 

I assume he’s referring to the communication within each front office and team with limited time ticking down Between picks, not the actual calling in of the pick. They are used to being able to turn just To their side and talk to the guy next to them. Having to text or call if their zoom meeting (or whatever platform they will use) crashes is much different when things are going a hundred miles a minute. 

I'd have my team all install landlines and have them all on speaker phone continuously. Keep cell phones for calling other teams. 

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As always....everything will be at the mercy of some random IT guy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

As always....everything will be at the mercy of some random IT guy!

 

LOL, "....have you tried rebooting?".

  • Haha (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hacking is a real concern. All it would take is some unscrupulous person to hire an "independent consultant" under the table to hack into teams' Zoom meetings and that team would know exactly who is getting picked before they're up next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Can you imagine Buddy Nix trying to do this???? 

Buddy Nix? Could you imagine Doug Whaley? How’s he gonna explain the pop-ups to Roger? He already blamed his damn cat, so that excuse is burned..

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Hacking is a real concern. All it would take is some unscrupulous person to hire an "independent consultant" under the table to hack into teams' Zoom meetings and that team would know exactly who is getting picked before they're up next.

Exactly, I'd have my team connected via conference call the old fashion way, on landlines. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Exactly, I'd have my team connected via conference call the old fashion way, on landlines. 

 

Landlines are hackable with a simple pair of alligator clips and a butt set. Even less secure than digital solutions.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

 

Landlines are hackable with a simple pair of alligator clips and a butt set. Even less secure than digital solutions.

Wouldn't the hacker need to be at Beans house to clip onto his line?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

 

Landlines are hackable with a simple pair of alligator clips and a butt set. Even less secure than digital solutions.

What is this? MacGyver? 
 

I would hope the NFL would have the capability to encrypt their sessions, but maybe that’s not possible?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Wouldn't the hacker need to be at Beans house to clip onto his line?

 

Anywhere that physical copper pair runs all the way back to the CO. So on a pole, or in the junction box up the street most likely.

 

But I'd be surprised if Beane even has a true, old school landline in his house. Even alarm systems run off cell service nowadays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

 

Anywhere that physical copper pair runs all the way back to the CO. So on a pole, or in the junction box up the street most likely.

 

But I'd be surprised if Beane even has a true, old school landline in his house. Even alarm systems run off cell service nowadays.

Pegs can afford security details sweeping the neighborhood for suspicious vans posing as the telephone company. 

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...