Carruci: Bills not pursuing Cam Newton

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Why?  And if the process favors Matt Barkley over Cam, the process is stupid.

Do you know anything at all about Cam? He is about as selfish a player as there is. A ‘me’ guy and front runner. No thanks. From college to pro’s, Cam is not someone I want to cheer for. 

10 minutes ago, Simon said:

I'm not talking about having a bad game; that happens to everybody at some point.

I'm talking about turning your back on your brothers when they need you the most.

That's a fatal flaw that no amount of good play can cover.

What about Jim Kelly getting hammered before a SB?  Is that having your brothers back?

was that play the best look? Probably not.  But dude has laid his body on the line.  He fights for every year which has physically damaged him.  I don’t think one play should define a guy who has been a warrior. 

3 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Do you know anything at all about Cam? He is about as selfish a player as there is. A ‘me’ guy and front runner. No thanks. From college to pro’s, Cam is not someone I want to cheer for. 

You mean like Diggs who was having temper tantrums during wins because he wasn’t getting the ball enough?

where are the reports of his teammates that hate playing with Cam?  The only one I can think of is fat Kelvin who is a joke. 

10 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

What about Jim Kelly getting hammered before a SB?  Is that having your brothers back?

Did you just try to compare Jim Kelly to Cam Newton?

I have no words........

11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

was that play the best look? Probably not.  But dude has laid his body on the line.  He fights for every year which has physically damaged him.  I don’t think one play should define a guy who has been a warrior. 

You mean like Diggs who was having temper tantrums during wins because he wasn’t getting the ball enough?

where are the reports of his teammates that hate playing with Cam?  The only one I can think of is fat Kelvin who is a joke. 

Fair point. Who loved playing with Cam? I mean besides the ‘he is my QB’. Does it seem like Cam is close with any of his teammates?

13 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Who do you think Kelly was out getting hammered with?

And yes, Cam has laid his body on the line.  He's pretty beat up and that 2015 season was eons ago.  Again if he wants to come to the Bills for a reasonable salary and is willing to be a good solider as a backup, I'd do it.  But I don't think he'd accept that.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Simon said:

Did you just try to compare Jim Kelly to Cam Newton?

I have no words........

I’m not following Simon.  If social media existed when Kelly played, I think there would be a lot of questions about his character and leadership.  Some of the things Cam gets criticized for are completely minor compared to the allegations against Kelly or Big Ben.  

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

Who do you think Kelly was out getting hammered with?

And yes, Cam has laid his body on the line.  He's pretty beat up and that 2015 season was eons ago.  Again if he wants to come to the Bills for a reasonable salary and is willing to be a good solider as a backup, I'd do it.  But I don't think he'd accept that.

I agree with this.  And I do get why they Bills won’t do it.

i just want to go all in and going with Barkley/ Fromm isn’t going all in.  Plus, if Allen couldn’t outplay Cam coming off major injuries, he probably isn’t the long term guy.  I wanna see Allen have to elevate his play.

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I’m not following Simon.  If social media existed when Kelly played, I think there would be a lot of questions about his character and leadership.  Some of the things Cam gets criticized for are completely minor compared to the allegations against Kelly or Big Ben.  

Please identify the allegations made against Kelly that are anywhere near those of Big Ben, who actually went to court? You're making stuff up. 

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I'm not talking about off the field stuff. They're ballplayers, which makes half of them oversized dumbasses. You could make lists all day of guys that acted like idiots off the field.

I'm just talking about being able to count on a guy during a game.

As for him being a warrior, I've simply never seen it. 

11 minutes ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

Please identify the allegations made against Kelly that are anywhere near those of Big Ben, who actually went to court? You're making stuff up. 

Oh please.  There are plenty of stories of Kelly being an awful human being in Buffalo.  There are plenty of stories about bad things he has done in his marriage.  And on record, he single handed my started the bicker in’ Bills.  He grew up and he is the best qb in franchise history but you have to be the biggest cheerleader in the world to ignore the bad Kelly stuff.  Same with Bruce and Thurman.  It’s laughable the things Cam gets killed for compared to what NFL players used to do. 

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

I'm not talking about off the field stuff. They're ballplayers, which makes half of them oversized dumbasses. You could make lists all day of guys that acted like idiots off the field.

I'm just talking about being able to count on a guy during a game.

As for him being a warrior, I've simply never seen it. 

Bickerin’ Bills???

i do agree that I will never question his toughness on the field.  He stood in the pocket like few others.  But I think minus one play, Newton has been a warrior as well.  

20 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I agree with this.  And I do get why they Bills won’t do it.

i just want to go all in and going with Barkley/ Fromm isn’t going all in.  Plus, if Allen couldn’t outplay Cam coming off major injuries, he probably isn’t the long term guy.  I wanna see Allen have to elevate his play.

I'm not sure they haven't inquired about him and he's not willing to come for cheap and/or be a backup.  It's also possible that he's still injured and might not ever be again the player he once was.

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

i do agree that I will never question his toughness on the field.  He stood in the pocket like few others.  But I think minus one play, Newton has been a warrior as well.  

When I said I've never seen any sign of him being a warrior, I was referring to Cam.

The times I've seen him get tagged inside or outside the pocket it's simply because he hasn't seen it coming. 

4 minutes ago, Simon said:

When I said I've never seen any sign of him being a warrior, I was referring to Cam.

The times I've seen him get tagged inside or outside the pocket it's simply because he hasn't seen it coming. 

he’s carried the ball about 1,000 times. As a qv you don’t do that without having some heart. 

sure he’s got an ego. Sure I don’t enjoy his personality. Sure I think despite being a generational specimen he’s not always 100% plugged in but you don’t do what he’s done without some heart.

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

he’s carried the ball about 1,000 times. As a qv you don’t do that without having some heart. 

sure he’s got an ego. Sure I don’t enjoy his personality. Sure I think despite being a generational specimen he’s not always 100% plugged in but you don’t do what he’s done without some heart.

Maybe my bar is too high but if you want carry the designation of "warrior", just carrying the ball doesn't get you there.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You really think it’s that simple???

1 - team doctors can’t check out Cam

2 - Cam is going to wait out the market.  He still wants to start (and with some of the scrubs who do, if healthy, he should)

3 - do you think they want to risk bringing in a qb who could be better than the one they invested a 1st round pick a couple years ago?  

I get why they don’t bring him in.  I’m just saying if you are really totally going full in for a SB, you upgrade every position you can.  Barkley is terrible and Cam is a massive upgrade. Barkley is a really nice guy though and everyone likes him.  And that’s what is really important in pro sports! We should have given that nice guy Peterman another shot too!

If we are fully going in for a super bowl run I believe in Allen not Newton. I will never believe in someone who checked out on their team in the Super Bowl. He’s weak and he is not a leader, plus the fact Newton doesn’t like Buffalo

49 minutes ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

Well to be fair it’s been rumored he put his wife in the hospital during a drug/drunkin rage. And i think it’s been reported of him beating his wife as well. But his wife also was an addict for a while to. But most guys on the team back then were doing drugs. Hell they even hinted it in the Jim Kelly football life Documentary, Reich was laughing saying he couldn’t say on camera all the things himself, Kelly, Thurman and Bruce and even Andre were doing at Kelly’s house parties. I think it was well known in Buffalo that Kelly and most on the team had Alcohol and drug problem. 

Edited by BuffaloBills1998

31 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Oh please.  There are plenty of stories of Kelly being an awful human being in Buffalo.  There are plenty of stories about bad things he has done in his marriage.  And on record, he single handed my started the bicker in’ Bills.  He grew up and he is the best qb in franchise history but you have to be the biggest cheerleader in the world to ignore the bad Kelly stuff.  Same with Bruce and Thurman.  It’s laughable the things Cam gets killed for compared to what NFL players used to do. 

Bickerin’ Bills??

So you are part of the morality police. Got it. 

And I wasn't commenting on Cam Newton, I was commenting on Big Ben vs. Kelly. Roethlisberger had at least three legal actions taken against him by woman. But you know about plenty of stories. OK.  

1 minute ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Well to be fair it’s been rumored he put his wife in the hospital during a drug/drunkin rage. And i think it’s been reported of him beating his wife as well. But his wife also was an addict for a while to. But most guys on the team back then were doing drugs. Hell they even hinted it in the Jim Kelly football life Documentary, Reich was laughing saying he couldn’t say on camera all the things himself, Kelly, Thurman and Bruce and evening Andre were doing at Kelly’s house parties. I think it was well known in Buffalo that Kelly and most on the team had a drinking and drug problem. 

I heard he shot Kennedy too. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

So you are part of the morality police. Got it. 

And I wasn't commenting on Cam Newton, I was commenting on Big Ben vs. Kelly. Roethlisberger had at least three legal actions taken against him by woman. But you know about plenty of stories. OK.  

I heard he shot Kennedy too. 

Those are facts go look it up. Like another poster said though he grew up and is a much better man than what he used to be. 

Edited by BuffaloBills1998

I just can’t see Cam ever accepting a back up role. If healthy, is he better than Josh right now? Yeah, probably. Doesn’t mean that will always be the case. Like Orlovsky said, Josh is still ascending. You don’t interrupt that progress until you know for sure he has capped out. 

Finally, the part that irked me far more than the Cam discussion in that video is the media’s obsession with Sam Darnold. I’m not saying he’s bad, but come on. Darnold has been largely “meh” thus far. He’s not the best in the AFC East. Josh is. Doesn’t mean that will always be true, but he is right now.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Fair point. Who loved playing with Cam? I mean besides the ‘he is my QB’. Does it seem like Cam is close with any of his teammates?

Greg Olsen was very close to him.

My 2 cents:

1. Some of you are being overly critical of Cam and still leaning on the bias of his persona coming out of college.  This guy is no where near as bad of a teammate as some are painting him to be.  Its more than OK to not want to sign Cam, but people are going way over the top to smear him to make that point.  
  2. There is literally no interest from either party...Bills or Cam...for him to be a member of the team.  Cam, rightfully so, is going to want to be in a place where he can at least compete to start.  Bills are 100% behind Josh and would not open up the competition, nor do they want to bring anyone in that might send the wrong signal and inadvertently create a question of their overall confidence in Josh.  

At the end of the day, I fully agree Cam has no place on this team right now.  But at the same time, the reasons many are giving are being way over exaggerated IMO and Cam would have been a good addition to this team IMO if we did not already have Josh Allen. 

Personally, I am stunned he is not a Chicago Bear.  Pace is doing a terrible job up there, and trading draft assets for a scrub in Foles to battle with another scrub in Trubisky was foolish.  They should sign Cam and they would immediately be a better team and could contend for the division between the defense and the offense having more life to it under Newton.  

I think he ends up being a Redskin, Giant, Steeler, Bronco, or Raider soon enough.  

Steelers could use the insurance given the talented roster, the terrible backups, and Big Bens injury potential.  They would remain a contender with Newton if Big Ben went down.

Broncos and Giants could use the veteran around their young QB's.  Elway wants to contend this year, if Lock isnt getting the job done by mid season, he could have someone like Cam that could help turn things around.  

Redskins are obvious why.

Raiders...well Gruden loves offense, and I am not sure he loves Carr.  They have been reloading pretty nicely and could be a surprise team this year if Carr isn't holding them back.  And it wouldn't surprise me if let Carr and Cam open batter for QB1 before the season started either, again because I am not convinced they are committed to Carr and they want to start winning this year.  

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

I really do not understand these takes.

As someone who lost a lot of respect for Cam on that bad SB play, I don’t know how you say he has no heart. 

I also dont know why he gets crushed as much much as he does compared to an Aaron Rodgers.