Carruci: Bills not pursuing Cam Newton

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Physical ability can take you far, especially in college.  And he could be an all-time great.  To me he seems checked-out. 

He was off to the best passing start of his career 2 years ago and running less.  He was evolving and then got hurt.

20 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'd give Winston a shot for backup money.  Cam is too much of a diva and I never got that he really loved the game or took his job seriously.

I just can’t see McD having a comfort level with winston’s turnovers. 

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He was off to the best passing start of his career 2 years ago and running less.  He was evolving and then got hurt.

Just my feeling.  And I think that injuries have taken their toll and he's not the player and won't ever be the same player he was.

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

Just my feeling.  And I think that injuries have taken their toll and he's not the player and won't ever be the same player he was.

I mean that definitely is valid.  I just feels he gets a very bad rap.  Terrible dresser but when healthy, a top 10 qb who has played with some garbage offensive talent.

• 3 weeks later...

The Bills are not the right spot for Cam, Josh doesn't need a big name personality behind him as a backup. Barkley is a capable back and Fromm is the developmental guy. They don't need a QB behind Josh that is going to command a lot of attention and be a possible headache. I like Cam but I think he needs to sit 2020 out and get healthy and then reassess his options once more QB slots open up. His biggest concern is his health and if he sat out 2020 I think he would get his health in order and teams would look at him more positively in 2021. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, gregor7777 said:

I'm sure they watch plenty of sports, just not the Bills.

I'm guessing they all watch the same small handful of teams and games and 'report' on the rest based primarily on the echo chamber.

I really don’t get why people think this is so wild.  I agree it’s not going to happen but from non Bills fans, qb is the weak spot on the team.  Allen and Newton have similar styles, Barkley sucks, and Fromm was a 4th rounder who is far from certain as a nfl qb. 

if the Bills really wanted to go all in on a SB, they would sign Newton.  If Allen is truly the guy, he would thrive off the competition and welcome it.  He’s gotten hurt both years and I would much rather have Newton than terrible Barkley and Fromm, who might be Barkley Jr.  and if Allen isn’t the guy, you have a former MVP to possible transition to.

again, they won’t sign him and I am firm with it because it could definitely mess with Allen’s head.  But if you’re a non Bills fans, it makes a ton of sense. 

28 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

sometimes i wonder if ESPN reporters watch sports at all, or just are given a story line and make up whatever they like

Yeah if only they had experts like Skip Bayless, Jason Whitlock, or Colin Cowherd. 

• Like (+1) 2

Tbh I don’t think it’s that far fetched. Josh Allen is an unknown at this point. He’s the biggest question mark on this team. Does he deserve the chance to start? Absolutely. Is he good enough to take this team deep in the playoffs? Not sure. Is there a chance he sinks our season with poor performance? It’s possible. Is he an injury risk with his playstyle? Sure. 

Newton if healthy is a sizeable upgrade on Matt Barkley. If healthy he might be a sizeable upgrade on Allen. It has gotten to a point where Newton has to fight for a job wherever he signs. He is coming in to compete. Nothing will be handed to him. Besides the media I’ve never heard negative comments being made about his abilities to lead a team. The talk of him being a prima-donna is very likely media drivel.

We have the cap space.  We’re about as good as we’ll ever be on defense. Our offence though developing is looking pretty good heading into the season. We can under no circumstances let the prime of this team be dragged down by poor QB play or injury. 

IF Cam comes in and beats JA out in camp as starter... so what? Hurt feelings because we burned a top 10 pick on a QB that wasn’t good enough? IF JA wins the job well have a competent back up in case of injury. 

To the people worrying about Cam being a sideshow... we can always cut him. If JA isn’t mentally strong enough to compete for a job than I don’t want him. 

all this being said I think it’s a long shot but I see a path where it could make sense. The Beane-Carolina connection is real. Id fully expect JA to beat Cam out for the job. I just really like the fact we’d have a backup that can run a similar offence stylistically. We’d be truly leaving no stone unturned in the chase for a Super Bowl. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The Bills are not the right spot for Cam, Josh doesn't need a big name personality behind him as a backup. Barkley is a capable back and Fromm is the developmental guy. They don't need a QB behind Josh that is going to command a lot of attention and be a possible headache. I like Cam but I think he needs to sit 2020 out and get healthy and then reassess his options once more QB slots open up. His biggest concern is his health and if he sat out 2020 I think he would get his health in order and teams would look at him more positively in 2021. 

I agree with most of this except Barkley being a capable backup.  We are understanding how bad he has been when he plays.  

If Barkley has to play, the season is over and that should not be the case.

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

Who even was that guy?  Opinions...

Former starting nfl cb and NFLPA president.  

40 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

He could very well be healthy right now.  If healthy,  he's easily  still a starter in the league.  The virus and its timing did him no favors.  Sitting out might be the play,  regardless of health.  There  will be injuries and bad starting QB play.  These GMs will call then.  Chicago will be the first team calling.  Nick Foles... please.  Tannehill?  Yeah, ok. ?

Edited by purple haze