Carruci: Bills not pursuing Cam Newton

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

I doubt Josh would have a problem with it.  But I'd bet Cam wouldn't accept that low a salary and maybe even a backup role, at least without creating waves.

That's true, he might not be a quiet as a backup.

IMO, Newton is purely a 'try to trade during the season pickup'.  He is not the future in Buffalo.

If he wants to pass up 5-7MIL and stay in the NFL, that's his prerogative.  But he could be making some money while he is waiting for a starting job to open up.

In fact, you can tell Newton, 'Hey, if a starting QB spot opens up during the season, we will try and trade you there'.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

I think it goes without saying that it’s very, very slow in the sports world. These guys need to come up with stuff to talk about. There’s an obvious connection with with Beane and McDermott to Newton and any former Carolina player really. Cam signing with Buffalo has zero chance of happening. I’ll shave my cats butt if it does 

How does your cat feel about that... 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I would think it makes sense to Cam and Buffalo. 

Look at Tannehill - he took $2M to go to TENN and turned that into a $120M deal.

Cam should look at the Bills and think Josh needs to have a good year. If he struggles the Bills turn to Cam and he gets his big deal next year. If Allen does not, he can get some good press as being a mentor and sign a decent deal to start somewhere the following year. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, FLFan said:

He will never live that down nor should he.

So if he gets a concussion on that play is that the smart play?  Sammy Watkins rushed back from a foot injury to prove him toughness and still struggles with it.  Have you ever seen Newton play?  Part of the reason he’s not on a team is because he would fight for every year.  Watch Tom Brady on interceptions.  Dude literally runs the opposite way.  

questioning Cam’s toughness is pretty silly.  I believe the he is far and way the most hit qb since he entered the nfl. 

Just now, Groin said:

I'm glad that they seem to not be pursuing Newton.  Like, for real.  I could not be more pleased.

Me too.  I love having a playoff team with a backup qb who has thrown 10 tds to 21 ints and has a 65.7 QB rating and 1 career win.  Like, for real. I could not be more pleased.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Me too.  I love having a playoff team with a backup qb who has thrown 10 tds to 21 ints and has a 65.7 QB rating and 1 career win.  Like, for real. I could not be more pleased.

Sarcasm though?  Newton is old now and he is not what this team is about.  At all.

He's what the Bills brought online with Bledsoe, maybe, but probably worse at this point in his career.  Absolutely not.  Yesterday is yesterday in this league.

Edited by Groin

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I think McD is not a fan of Cam himself

Is this based on Newton carrying that offense to the SB which upped McDermott’s profile?  How in the world do people make such claims without any facts?

1 minute ago, Groin said:

Sarcasm though?  Newton is old now and he is not what this team is about.  At all.

He's what the Bills brought online with Bledsoe, maybe, but probably worse at this point in his career.  Absolutely not.  Yesterday is yesterday in this league.

Matt Barkley sucks.  Nice guy though. Cam on his worst day is better is better than Barkley on his best.  Problem is a healthy Cam is probably still better than Allen and we couldn’t possibly challenge a qb on this roster.  Let’s feed him Peterman. Barkley, Anderson, and Fromm!

Edited by C.Biscuit97

Is this based on Newton carrying that offense to the SB which upped McDermott’s profile?  How in the world do people make such claims without any facts?

Matt Barkley sucks.  Nice guy though. 

If he was such a big fan of cam he would’ve already been on the team, I guarantee both him and Beane have seen the way cam acts in the locker room and wanted nothing to do with that. Cam is not a leader and it showed especially in that Super Bowl. He handled himself badly and by the way that defense that year did a lot of carrying on their own. It wasn’t just Newton 

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

That’s why we drafted Fromm, Fromm can beat Barkley out of competition or like Beane said in his presser that they go with 3 QBS this year

Edited by BuffaloBills1998

Nobody says that Barkley is good.  But Cam Newton is money that this team does not need to spend... on a backup.  I will never forget Newton in that Super Bowl, and I suspect that many others won't as well.  He literally cowered his way out of winning it.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Winston is also coming off a season where he threw 30 INTS. Winston is definitely not a QB that was in demand on the market lol. New Orleans is probably the only team that gave him a call

And 5000 yards and 33 TD's. If Josh Allen put up his numbers last year this board would be going nuts saying he will be MVP this next year. 

9 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So if he gets a concussion on that play is that the smart play?  Sammy Watkins rushed back from a foot injury to prove him toughness and still struggles with it.  Have you ever seen Newton play?  Part of the reason he’s not on a team is because he would fight for every year.  Watch Tom Brady on interceptions.  Dude literally runs the opposite way.  

questioning Cam’s toughness is pretty silly.  I believe the he is far and way the most hit qb since he entered the nfl. 

Duuuuude.

It was a world championship game with 5 minutes left in a one score game.

I've always considered him a low-character front-runner, but if he did that in the 3rd qrtr of Week 6 I wouldn't have thought much about it.

But to duck out when all the chips are on the table?

I literally would have benched him on the spot without a second thought and then cut him in the offseason.

If you can't count on a guy when it's all on the line, I don't even want him around.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2