Carruci: Bills not pursuing Cam Newton

52 minutes ago, hjnick said:

Ok, let's assume Beane wants to bring him in as a backup... with the hope to move him during the year.

1) Talk with Josh Allen.  Tell him you are bringing him ONLY as a backup and that he is the #1 QB.  If he says NO, then drop it all.

2) When Josh says 'ok', try and sign Newton to a 1 year backup deal of around 5-7MIL.

3) Hold on to him and when someone loses a starting QB, try and trade him to that team. 

Maybe we can get a 3rd out of him.  If not, then we have a good backup for this coming year.

I like this idea.  And if Cam won't do it, at least we tried.  

2 minutes ago, Groin said:

Nobody says that Barkley is good.  But Cam Newton is money that this team does not need to spend... on a backup.  I will never forget Newton in that Super Bowl, and I suspect that many others won't as well.  He literally cowered his way out of winning it.

I think that’s gotta be the worst QB play since rich Gannon’s  5 INTS against the 2003 Bucs defense 

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

And 5000 yards and 33 TD's. If Josh Allen put up his numbers last year this board would be going nuts saying he will be MVP this next year. 

You don’t get MVP for throwing 30 INTS lol most of the INTS he threw were embarrassingly bad. There’s a reason no one on that team backed him up and chose a 45 year old Brady over him

Edited by BuffaloBills1998

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

Duuuuude.

It was a world championship game with 5 minutes left in a one score game.

I've always considered him a low-character front-runner, but if he did that in the 3rd qrtr of Week 6 I wouldn't have thought much about it.

But to duck out when all the chips are on the table?

I literally would have benched him on the spot without a second thought and then cut him in the offseason.

If you can't count on a guy when it's all on the line, I don't even want him around.

I agree with all of this, but I'd still take him as the backup.  Even with his "me first," he is still better than what we have.  

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

You don’t get MVP for throwing 30 INTS lol 

My point is we would be talking about how great he was with the 5000 yards and 33TD's and that he just needs to get the int's in check. We would be talking about him despite his int's like he is the best QB in the league. Allen's numbers pale in comparison to Winston. 

13 minutes ago, Groin said:

Sarcasm though?  Newton is old now and he is not what this team is about.  At all.

He's what the Bills brought online with Bledsoe, maybe, but probably worse at this point in his career.  Absolutely not.  Yesterday is yesterday in this league.

Derek Anderson says hi. So does AJ McCarron. 

Cam Newton is only a year older than Barkley.

Edited by ngbills

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

My point is we would be talking about how great he was with the 5000 yards and 33TD's and that he just needs to get the int's in check. We would be talking about him despite his int's like he is the best QB in the league. Allen's numbers pale in comparison to Winston. 

Allen is a much better QB than Winston is and a far better leader than Winston is. Winston can’t read defenses and that’s been proven. He has horrible body language his throwing motion is garbage and awkward, he doesn’t inspire confidence in the team. Also to Allen defense on Winston’s numbers being better than Allen of course they are cause Winston has been in the league since 2015 lol. He has more NFL experience than Allen does but does that make him a better QB than Allen??? ***** no. At least Allen has taken his team to the playoffs. Winston was with the Bucs since 15 and couldn’t get to one playoff game lol and he was the first overall pick to them. And no if Josh has Winstons number besides the 5,000 passing yards I would deeply concerned 

Next year would be the year to bring in a Cam type back up because

1. Josh is now entrenched as the starter, one bad game wouldn't have the entire world calling for cam

or

2. Josh didn't improve much over last year and confidence in him is low and want a guy you can turn to and still be a contender

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

If he was such a big fan of cam he would’ve already been on the team, I guarantee both him and Beane have seen the way cam acts in the locker room and wanted nothing to do with that. Cam is not a leader and it showed especially in that Super Bowl. He handled himself badly and by the way that defense that year did a lot of carrying on their own. It wasn’t just Newton 

That’s why we drafted Fromm, Fromm can beat Barkley out of competition or like Beane said in his presser that they go with 3 QBS this year

You really think it’s that simple???

1 - team doctors can’t check out Cam

2 - Cam is going to wait out the market.  He still wants to start (and with some of the scrubs who do, if healthy, he should)

3 - do you think they want to risk bringing in a qb who could be better than the one they invested a 1st round pick a couple years ago?  

I get why they don’t bring him in.  I’m just saying if you are really totally going full in for a SB, you upgrade every position you can.  Barkley is terrible and Cam is a massive upgrade. Barkley is a really nice guy though and everyone likes him.  And that’s what is really important in pro sports! We should have given that nice guy Peterman another shot too!

9 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Derek Anderson says hi. So does AJ McCarron. 

Cam Newton is only a year older than Barkley.

Shoulder injury, nobody has picked him up as FA already, I mean how can you explain that away?

Everybody understands that in order for us to sign him that he would have to pass a physical first? And as of right now especially with that shoulder injury he’s had for a while there’s no guarantee he passes the physical. Denver just cut Flacco loose because he flunked his physical

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I would think it makes sense to Cam and Buffalo. 

Look at Tannehill - he took $2M to go to TENN and turned that into a $120M deal.

Cam should look at the Bills and think Josh needs to have a good year. If he struggles the Bills turn to Cam and he gets his big deal next year. If Allen does not, he can get some good press as being a mentor and sign a decent deal to start somewhere the following year. 

Tannehill had nowhere near the career Newton did.  Accepting a $2M backup role was pretty much all he could hope for.  Good for him he parlayed it into a huge score.

26 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So if he gets a concussion on that play is that the smart play?  Sammy Watkins rushed back from a foot injury to prove him toughness and still struggles with it.  Have you ever seen Newton play?  Part of the reason he’s not on a team is because he would fight for every year.  Watch Tom Brady on interceptions.  Dude literally runs the opposite way.  

questioning Cam’s toughness is pretty silly.  I believe the he is far and way the most hit qb since he entered the nfl. 

He could get concussed on any given play.  It was a SB and the score was close at that point.  No excuse.

13 minutes ago, ngbills said:

And 5000 yards and 33 TD's. If Josh Allen put up his numbers last year this board would be going nuts saying he will be MVP this next year. 

With 35 turnovers?  Nope.

On 4/6/2020 at 9:51 PM, Happy said:

Let's say the Bills did not have Josh Allen, but rather Ryan Tannehill (or equivalent) as the QB, does anyone think Beane would pursue Cam Newton?  Not sure if the Carolina connection is strong enough to overlook Cam acting like Cam usually does - a crybaby.

Both Tannehill and Cam are better QB's so why would they agree to play backup to Allen? Tannehill is, in turn, a better QB than Cam at this point in their careers.

This is obviously an old story that got bumped, but the reason Beane gave at the time for not pursuing him was because he believed he wanted to start. I’m not sure if there would be consideration if that were to change. My opinion is there wouldn’t be 

14 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I think that’s gotta be the worst QB play since rich Gannon’s  5 INTS against the 2003 Bucs defense 

You don’t get MVP for throwing 30 INTS lol most of the INTS he threw were embarrassingly bad. There’s a reason no one on that team backed him up and chose a 45 year old Brady over him

Newton’s 265 yards passing in the SB! Against a great defense with Ted Ginn as his number 1 receiver would have been the second highest total of Allen’s career.  Allen’s career high was one yard more. 

1 minute ago, GreggTX said:

Both Tannehill and Cam are better QB's so why would they agree to play backup to Allen? Tannehill is, in turn, a better QB than Cam at this point in their careers.

Because he’s hurt and has a chance to show he can be a good teammate.  Plus if Allen gets hurt or struggles, he can step into a playoff team with the best receivers he has ever played with.

it makes way too much sense to happen though.  Matt will bake everyone cupcakes. 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Allen is a much better QB than Winston is and a far better leader than Winston is. Winston can’t read defenses and that’s been proven. He has horrible body language his throwing motion is garbage and awkward, he doesn’t inspire confidence in the team. Also to Allen defense on Winston’s numbers being better than Allen of course they are cause Winston has been in the league since 2015 lol. He has more NFL experience than Allen does but does that make him a better QB than Allen??? ***** no. At least Allen has taken his team to the playoffs. Winston was with the Bucs since 15 and couldn’t get to one playoff game lol and he was the first overall pick to them. And no if Josh has Winstons number besides the 5,000 passing yards I would deeply concerned 

From year one his numbers have been better. And basically every year. I would speculate that Winston as our QB we win more games last year. I am not saying I would want him over Allen but you lose credibility if you say he is awful and no teams want him. He is better than Allen at this point in their careers. Allen hopefully has a higher ceiling if he can get there. Fans are biased by their player - hence obviously Allen is amazing and Winston or Newton suck. Barkley is a great backup on the Bills, as any other teams back up he is a joke. As for the playoffs, TB defense was awful since Winston got there. If the Bills had TB Defense no way they make the playoffs last year. We had arguably 1-3 best D in the league and lost in the 1st round as the 5th seed. 

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% 1D Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD AV
2015* 21 TAM QB 3 16 16 6-10-0 312 535 58.3 4042 22 4.1 15 2.8 201 68 7.6 7.1 13.0 252.6 84.2 61.1 27 190 6.85 6.44 4.8 2 3 13
2016 22 TAM QB 3 16 16 9-7-0 345 567 60.8 4090 28 4.9 18 3.2 216 45 7.2 6.8 11.9 255.6 86.1 59.7 35 239 6.40 5.98 5.8 1 3 12
2017 23 TAM QB 3 13 13 3-10-0 282 442 63.8 3504 19 4.3 11 2.5 185 70 7.9 7.7 12.4 269.5 92.2 54.0 33 207 6.94 6.70 6.9 2 2 10
2018 24 TAM QB 3 11 9 3-6-0 244 378 64.6 2992 19 5.0 14 3.7 152 64 7.9 7.3 12.3 272.0 90.2 69.7 27 157 7.00 6.38 6.7 0 1 9
2019 25 TAM QB 3 16 16 7-9-0 380 626 60.7 5109 33 5.3 30 4.8 243 71 8.2 7.1 13.4 319.3 84.3   47 282 7.17 6.15 7.0 2 2

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% 1D Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD AV
2018 22 BUF QB 17 12 11 5-6-0 169 320 52.8 2074 10 3.1 12 3.8 89 75 6.5 5.4 12.3 172.8 67.9 49.8 28 213 5.35 4.37 8.0 2 3 6
2019 23 BUF QB 17 16 16 10-6-0 271 461 58.8 3089 20 4.3 9 2.0 146 53 6.7 6.7 11.4 193.1 85.3   38 237 5.72 5.71 7.6 4 5

31 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So if he gets a concussion on that play is that the smart play?  Sammy Watkins rushed back from a foot injury to prove him toughness and still struggles with it.  Have you ever seen Newton play?  Part of the reason he’s not on a team is because he would fight for every year.  Watch Tom Brady on interceptions.  Dude literally runs the opposite way.  

questioning Cam’s toughness is pretty silly.  I believe the he is far and way the most hit qb since he entered the nfl. 

Sorry, but I just do not agree. Yes, I have seen him play. Yes, he took hits.   However, that was a pathetic display of selfishness on his part.  Yes, the smart play was to try and get the ball back. That was a big play in the game.  And I agree - no one is a bigger wuss than Tom Brady.   

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I agree with all of this, but I'd still take him as the backup.  Even with his "me first," he is still better than what we have.  

Is he really though?

If your overarching goal is to win a Super Bowl, do you really want a guy who has shown he can't be counted on at the biggest moment of the year?

I'd much prefer to have a slightly less talented guy who has enough respect for himself and his brothers to stick his face in the fan when it's go time, rather than a guy who's going to sneak out the back door when it's time to bang heads.

12 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Tannehill looks like he will start for Tennessee.  Cam won't take a backup role.  Tannehill could be a better QB than Cam at this point; given the choice between the two, I would take Tannehill.  Just you're going to need a lot around Tannehill to make him successful.

12 minutes ago, Simon said:

Is he really though?

If your overarching goal is to win a Super Bowl, do you really want a guy who has shown he can't be counted on at the biggest moment of the year?

I'd much prefer to have a slightly less talented guy who has enough respect for himself and his brothers to stick his face in the fan when it's go time, rather than a guy who's going to sneak out the back door when it's time to bang heads.

He led the team to a 15-1 record. They were the top scoring team in the league. He was the league MVP. Scored 31 and 49 points in the playoffs en route to the Super Bowl. As Bills fans, if you were around for the 4 losses I think you would understand how things can go south in the big game.

Heck Josh Allen in the biggest game of his career thus far was bad. Some horrible decisions and one of the biggest reasons we lost. So dont know how you can call Cam a loser and that he is not worthy of even being our backup to Allen. Allen is 0-1 and was bad in the spot light and I would include those Pats games as well as big games in which he was really bad. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ngbills said:

He led the team to a 15-1 record. They were the top scoring team in the league. He was the league MVP. Scored 31 and 49 points in the playoffs en route to the Super Bowl. As Bills fans, if you were around for the 4 losses I think you would understand how things can go south in the big game.

Heck Josh Allen in the biggest game of his career thus far was bad. Some horrible decisions and one of the biggest reasons we lost. So dont know how you can call Cam a loser and that he is not worthy of even being our backup to Allen. Allen is 0-1 and was bad in the spot light and I would include those Pats games as well as big games in which he was really bad. 

I'm not talking about having a bad game; that happens to everybody at some point.

I'm talking about turning your back on your brothers when they need you the most.

That's a fatal flaw that no amount of good play can cover.