Carruci: Bills not pursuing Cam Newton

42 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

sometimes i wonder if ESPN reporters watch sports at all, or just are given a story line and make up whatever they like

Pete Schrager posited the same thing on GMFB.  

They're simply connecting dots that shouldn't be connected:  Bills/Carolina connection; tall, big mobile QBs

I think Cam Newton will struggle to find work in the NFL in 2020 because unless he's changed his diet/fitness regimen back to what's required to fuel a body that can take the beating the NFL game provides, no NFL team is going to bother.  

This is a terrible idea that people will just not let die.  This is something you do if you are uncommitted to your starter, or feel he needs a push, which is probably the same thing.  Regardless of how some around here obviously feel, that is not the case with the Bills.  Beane is right in saying Cam will not, and probably should not accept a backup position, and the bills job is simply not open to competition.  That would be the absolute worst way to develop Allen at this point.  Creating controversy at the QB position does not help them in the least.  Cam creates controversy.

All that assumes he can even still play at a high level.  It has been quite some time since that has been the case.  

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, purple haze said:

He could very well be healthy right now.  If healthy,  he's easily  still a starter in the league.  The virus and its timing did him no favors.  Sitting out might be the play,  regardless of health.  There  will be injuries and bad starting QB play.  These GMs will call then.  Chicago will be the first team calling.  Nick Foles... please.  Tannehill?  Yeah, ok. ?

He has had a lot of injuries to the point where I think he isn't going to be healthy anytime soon. It isn't like he is coming off of one big injury. He has had 2-3 major injuries along with several other minor injuries in the past 4-5 years. He needs a year to get physically and mentally right. I would love to have seen a team sign him and IR him for a year as I think that would be best for his development as he ages to really get a full years worth of rest on his body as he ages into his 30's. 

I think it goes without saying that it’s very, very slow in the sports world. These guys need to come up with stuff to talk about. There’s an obvious connection with with Beane and McDermott to Newton and any former Carolina player really. Cam signing with Buffalo has zero chance of happening. I’ll shave my cats butt if it does 

Ok, let's assume Beane wants to bring him in as a backup... with the hope to move him during the year.

1) Talk with Josh Allen.  Tell him you are bringing him ONLY as a backup and that he is the #1 QB.  If he says NO, then drop it all.

2) When Josh says 'ok', try and sign Newton to a 1 year backup deal of around 5-7MIL.

3) Hold on to him and when someone loses a starting QB, try and trade him to that team. 

Maybe we can get a 3rd out of him.  If not, then we have a good backup for this coming year.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, hjnick said:

Ok, let's assume Beane wants to bring him in as a backup... with the hope to move him during the year.

1) Talk with Josh Allen.  Tell him you are bringing him ONLY as a backup and that he is the #1 QB.  If he says NO, then drop it all.

2) When Josh says 'ok', try and sign Newton to a 1 year backup deal of around 5-7MIL.

3) Hold on to him and when someone loses a starting QB, try and trade him to that team. 

Maybe we can get a 3rd out of him.  If not, then we have a good backup for this coming year.

I doubt Josh would have a problem with it.  But I'd bet Cam wouldn't accept that low a salary and maybe even a backup role, at least without creating waves.