COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic

Hapless Bills Fan
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

[This is a general message.  If you see it, please don't take it personally]

Now that we’re READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL, We are trying to return to a FOCUS ON FOOTBALL at Two Bills Drive

Because people have indicated they find this thread a useful resource, we’ve decided to leave it here but lock it.

I will continue to curate.  If you find updated info you’d like to include, please PM me.   If it comes from a source rated “low” for factual and “extreme” for bias, it probably won’t make it out of my PM box unless I can find a more reliable source for it (I will search)

As I have time, I will probably tighten the focus on sourced, verifiable info and prune outdated stuff, to make it easier to find.

GO BILLS!

https://www.backtoworksafely.org

This site features expert, industry-specific guidance for both businesses and consumers to safely re-open and re-engage as they emerge from the COVID-19 quarantines.

Sponsored by AIHA (American Industrial Hygiene Association)

The links below offer specific, easy-to-follow, science-based recommendations for limiting the transmission of the coronavirus while operating a wide variety of businesses, including restaurants, retail outlets, and hair and nail salons.

These guidelines were developed for those smaller business that don't have readily available occupational health and safety resources. We encourage employers, employees, and customers to carefully read and implement as many of the recommendations contained in the guidance document provided for your industry as possible.

All guidance plans are 100% free to download, if you wanted to print+distribute any of them.

These recommendations would be in addition to all federal, state and local guidelines (that must be followed). 

Really good data source on testing shared in discussion thread by @bdutton (thank you!):

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-testing#

What I like is that it's all open source, the data set can be downloaded, and many of the graphs are user-customizable right on the site, and they express many things in a "per capita" basis" - it's a legit beef that some have made that it paints a misleading picture to just look at totals, as a big population is bound to have (for example) more

image.thumb.png.241b48169e066518f5f2ef97f61c1d06.png

I like this graph, which looks at how many tests are performed to find 1 covid case.  The number needs to be large to be reasonably sure one is finding all the cases.  US is not large enough.

image.thumb.png.eec90febdace41be4f87e7ac31a14067.png

• Like (+1) 1

Mask-querade!

This is my compilation of information on masks, especially cloth masks, and their use to prevent the spread of covid-19.

First thing is to remember masks reduce infection in two ways: inward-facing, and outward-facing.  

Medical professionals and first responders who are necessarily exposed to infected people badly need inward-facing protection.

Disrupting infection chains only requires outward-facing protection - IF everyone, or almost everyone, needs to take part.  The preponderance of evidence suggests widespread mask use, even of relatively ineffective cloth masks, is an important infection control strategy IN ADDITION to other measures such as maintaining distance and careful hand hygiene. 

The key is to think of your mask as protecting others; their masks protect you.  It's not about whether you're afraid of getting sick yourself; it's about protecting the Grandy Gert of the person next to you and their Immunocompromised Aunt Irene.  And in my world, Macho Studly Dudes care about other people because well, if you're truly Macho and Studly, you just can.

Evidence review:
https://www.preprints.org/manuscript/202004.0203/v1
Royal Society (UK) summary:

https://rs-delve.github.io/reports/2020/05/04/face-masks-for-the-general-public.html
Key points

1. Asymptomatic (including presymptomatic) infected individuals are infectious. Without mitigation, the current estimate is that 40%-80% of infections occur from individuals without symptoms1234. Universal screening of asymptomatic SARS-COV2 in women admitted for delivery in New York City shows that 13.7% were infected, and that asymptomatic women accounted for 88% of infected individuals in the study5. Of individuals who do become symptomatic, viral loads are the highest in the presymptomatic and early symptomatic phase, decreasing thereafter6789101112.

2. Respiratory droplets from infected individuals are a major mode of transmission13. This understanding is the basis of the recommendations for physical distancing, and of the PPE guidance for healthcare workers14. Droplets do not only come from coughing or sneezing: in a-/pre-symptomatic individuals, droplets are generated via talking and breathing15.

3. Face masks reduce droplet dispersal. Cloth-based face masks reduce emission of particles by variable amounts, for example Anfinrud et al15 showed that they are almost completely eliminated. Davies et al16 showed that cloth masks filtered viral particles during coughing at about 50 to 100% of the filtration efficiency of surgical masks, depending on fabric, with absolute filtration efficiencies of 50-70%, and about 70-80% for oral bacteria. van der Sande et al17 showed 50% filtering efficiency for airborne particles.

Site promoting face mask use and their reference list:

https://masks4all.co/

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HLrm0pqBN_5bdyysOeoOBX4pt4oFDBhsC_jpblXpNtQ/edit#heading=h.1ap92mreh872

Evaluation of material to make face masks: 2 layers of cotton fabric good, but mixed-fiber fabrics may be better

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acsnano.0c03252#

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/suppl/10.1021/acsnano.0c03252/suppl_file/nn0c03252_si_001.pdf

LMK if you find anything else and I'll add

Edit: Vanity Fair article describing the motivation and work of some modelers

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/05/masks-covid-19-infections-would-plummet-new-study-says?fbclid=IwAR00y92qBckdGfLOYbJ2a3LC_8P_PMuAieYf1M96xVFnjH391K79dzy56LQ

Study discussed in the article:

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2004.13553.pdf

They have a simulator to play around with the effect of wearing masks

https://www1.icsi.berkeley.edu/~dekai/mirror/masksim/

• Thank you (+1) 1

....Hap, is this "breakthrough" company something to be optimistic about?..................

California biopharmaceutical company claims coronavirus antibody breakthrough

EXCLUSIVE — A California-based biopharmaceutical company claims to have discovered an antibody that could shield the human body from the coronavirus and flush it out of a person’s system within four days, Fox News has exclusively learned.

Later Friday, Sorrento Therapeutics will announce their discovery of the STI-1499 antibody, which the San Diego company said can provide "100% inhibition" of COVID-19, adding that a treatment could be available months before a vaccine hits the market.

"We want to emphasize there is a cure. There is a solution that works 100 percent," Dr. Henry Ji, founder and CEO of Sorrento Therapeutics, told Fox News. "If we have the neutralizing antibody in your body, you don't need the social distancing. You can open up a society without fear."

https://www.foxnews.com/science/covid-cure-california-biopharmaceutical-coronavirus-antibody-breakthrough

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/16/2020 at 5:43 AM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....Hap, is this "breakthrough" company something to be optimistic about?..................

California biopharmaceutical company claims coronavirus antibody breakthrough

EXCLUSIVE — A California-based biopharmaceutical company claims to have discovered an antibody that could shield the human body from the coronavirus and flush it out of a person’s system within four days, Fox News has exclusively learned.

Later Friday, Sorrento Therapeutics will announce their discovery of the STI-1499 antibody, which the San Diego company said can provide "100% inhibition" of COVID-19, adding that a treatment could be available months before a vaccine hits the market.

"We want to emphasize there is a cure. There is a solution that works 100 percent," Dr. Henry Ji, founder and CEO of Sorrento Therapeutics, told Fox News. "If we have the neutralizing antibody in your body, you don't need the social distancing. You can open up a society without fear."

https://www.foxnews.com/science/covid-cure-california-biopharmaceutical-coronavirus-antibody-breakthrough

A number of pharma companies are very likely working on blocking antibodies.  A big pharma like the one I used to work for has it all down to a cookbook - the techniques they would use to screen for effect, then something like 6 months to FIP (first in patient).   Several companies are likely to beat that because SARS and Covid-19 target the same receptor, and a number of companies had antibodies in the freezer that they’d designed for SARS.  So they’re able to skip about 2 months.  It’s telling that to my knowledge said big pharma I used to work for is only pursuing small molecule therapeutics and vaccines for Covid-19, even though we can be Monoclonal Central.  (Or so a little bird might have told me).

Good news/bad news here:

1) Human antibodies (assuming they were properly designed and don’t have wierd modifications) are a relatively slam-dunk pharma technology.  We know how to purify them and most places have a template manufacturing process and relatively standard set of release assays.  We know where they’ll go in the body (pharmacodynamics) We know how long they’ll last in the body (pharmacokinetics, metabolism).

2) The chances that they’ll translate from test tube to the body are relatively high, because of the well-understood properties.  No worries about will it get properly absorbed, will it get delivered to the right tissues, will it break down too fast, will it have toxicities.  These are actual bioengineered human antibodies, so we know all that.

So that’s the good news, it’s relatively likely to translate to in Vivo and to work.

Bad news:

1) Monoclonal antibody therapeutics are expensive as all get-out and hard to scale up.  These are the drugs for rheumatoid arthritis etc which cost like $18,000/treatment.  Of course a bunch of that is profit, but a lot of it is the fact that they are grown in mammalian cells that divide slowly and require expensive growth media, the standard purification process requires expensive equipment and reagents, they require expensive frozen storage, and they’re administered by expensive IV infusion.  This ain’t gonna be a pill.  The supply will be limited, and it will cost $$$$.   It’s still a big benefit if it can keep vulnerable people off ventilators and get them out of hospitals more quickly.

2) They’re monoclonal, mono = one.  They bind to one target on the virus.  That particular target mutates BOOM no more effective drug.  I could be missing something, but I believe we have no monoclonal therapeutics for influenza for just that reason - virus mutates too durn fast.  SARS-Cov2 seems to mutate more slowly, but still, in a few months, there are several mutations in the spike region identified.

I think upthread there are links to several other companies with monoclonal antibody therapies they’re trialing or getting ready to trial for Covid-19.  I’ll look later and link this in.  Edit: here it is:

Article on the earlier report of antibody

https://www.10tv.com/article/pandemic-scientist-says-his-team-has-discovered-potential-cure-covid-19-2020-mar

I would score this as promising - we really need effective treatments to stop people from becoming so desperately ill and to cure them when we do.  So even something expensive and with a limited time window would be a great boon.

On 5/16/2020 at 8:54 AM, Limeaid said:

Good (?) news is there are cases of virus being transmitted to animals so they might be able to do animal testing although I'd rather use protesters without masks but that is just my personal preference.

The problem with studying human monoclonal antibodies in animals is that the animals' bodies object to having a human antibody infused into them - the very drug that's being tested is Bad News to a Bear (or a mouse, or a rat).  Sometimes non-human primates can work :(. 

In a longer time frame, to study a therapeutic effect, researchers construct a mouse or rat antibody with the desired binding properties, study the effect in a mouse or rat animal model of the disease,  then translate the learnings to primates/humans and create a human antibody

PS I will say that any time anyone says "100% cure" my "Skeptical!" flag pops up.  Salesmen and grifters like attention grabbing numbers like 100%.  Scientists who work with real-life conditions and patients will always hedge even if we're super-positive, which makes us boring.

Hap, here's something sent to me from a graduate of this university. It looks interesting, but I'm sure it is nowhere near fully tested. But I found it an interesting approach for some applications:

https://news.uoguelph.ca/2020/05/u-of-g-research-behind-surface-coating-that-kills-covid-19/

Any input on this?

14 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Outside my lane, but sounds intriguing.  If it's a coating one sprays on, might be more cost effective than copper-cladding everything

I

• Like (+1) 1

@Hapless Bills Fan I just listened to a joe Rogan podcast where he had dr Rhonda Patrick on.  She went on for a bit about how a lot of the victims in the Philippines and other areas were vitamin d deficient. She’s a bit proponent  of vitamin d.

Curious your thoughts

14 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I can't really comment on what Dr Rhonda Patrick said on Joe Rogan's podcast because didn't listen.  If you care to summarize, I might have more to say.  General vit D thoughts:

I bought a bottle of vit D3 last week and we're taking it.  Because why not?  It's inexpensive and in moderate quantities, won't hurt.

Vitamin D deficiency is a funny thing (not funny ha ha, interesting story funny).  Vitamin D deficiency is linked to all kind of diseases - cancer, diabetes, obesity, osteoporosis, heart attack, stroke, depression, cognitive impairment, autoimmune conditions. 

But, paradoxically, studies of vitamin D supplementation have quite consistently failed to find an effect at reducing or preventing these diseases:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1809944

For balance, here is a recent article reviewing the evidence around the effects of vit D deficiency and how it may contribute to ARDS and potentially covid-19.  Vitamin D has known effects on nerve transmission and on immune response; it falls in the category of "can't hurt, might help" to suggest supplementation (though I dunno about the 10,000 IU these authors recommend). 

As for the paradox of why vit D supplementation doesn't actually affect some of the diseases that vit D deficiency is linked to:  "correlation may not be causation".  Maybe low vit D levels are actually a marker for low sun exposure, and that sun exposure is needed for other things that impact health such as nitric oxide (synthesis of nitric oxide is also increased by sun exposure).  Sunlight also influences production of all sorts of other compounds, seratonin and endorphins.

Even so, nitric oxide has a known effect on lowering blood pressure by relaxing blood vessel walls.  Hypertension is clearly linked as a risk factor to morbidity and mortality from covid-19.   And nitric oxide synthesis is increased by a number of things - including sun exposure, exercise (increases blood flow), AND vit D and calcium

My thoughts are "it's complicated".  I don't think vit D supplementation can hurt.  It might help. I don't think we can ignore the fact that when studies have tried to look at effect of vit D supplements on various diseases that correlate with vit D deficiency, they fail to show an effect - so it may be a correlation.

I think sunlight and exercise are very important, too. 

That said, it's time to go take my D3 supplement

• Like (+1) 1

VACCINE UPDATE!  This is big news, and good news

Moderna, the first company to start clinical trials in US, just released results from their Phase I trials.

There has been different coverage of this so let me try to boil it down for you

-45 patients - typical Phase I "safety" size except for vaccines, you can see if they developed antibodies (potential immunity)

-RNA vaccine, meaning RNA that will synthesize and present a viral epitope is injected into people. 

-3 dose levels 25, 100, 250 mcg

-All participants developed overall antibodies "comparable" to the levels of infected/recovered patients , the 25 mcg dose after 2 injections
-So far only 8 "neutralizing" antibody response measured (antibodies shown to bind to the virus and block its ability to infect cells). 

-Three of the 15 participants dosed at 250 mcg developed "severe adverse events", described as "fever and flu-like symptoms"

-One of the participants dosed at the 100 mcg level developed a "severe injection site reaction" which is a raised red patch >10 cm in diameter

What this trial does NOT show and thus remains unknown:

-Whether antibodies provide protection from re-infection

-For how long the protection will last, if so
-Whether neutralizing antibodies were the only immune response seen, or whether a T-cell response was successfully induced

The number of severe adverse events in a limited number of trial participants is concerning.  One wants a vaccine to which the immune system takes notice, but not too much or too aggressive notice.  That's 6.6% AE rate.  "those symptoms could be cause for concern. The injection site redness was classified as severe, or grade 3. That’s a red spot 10 centimeters in diameter, says Mark Slifka, a viral immunologist at Oregon Health & Science University in Portland. The next step is death of the tissue. Milder side effects are typically common with vaccines, “but if there are a consistent number of grade 3s, that’s a concern for a vaccine you want to use broadly.”

The company has already gotten permission from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to go ahead with the second phase of human safety tests. The company will eliminate the 250-microgram-dose arm and add a 50-microgram group. Lower doses may offer equal protection against the virus and stretch limited supplies of the vaccine, Zaks said.

The initial tests were in people 18 to 55 years old. The next phase of testing will also include people 56 to 70 years old, and an over-70 group.

Here's another summary of the data from Moderna's candidate.

RNA vaccines are the hot new kid on the block in the field of vaccine development, because of how fast they are to develop and how straightforward and fast they are to modify and manufacture.  They have this property because they essentially make the vaccinated person do all the work of synthesizing and presenting the viral antigen, we just send in the template and tell the immune system "get to work!"
BUT to date, there is only one licensed RNA vaccine that I know of, and that's in horses, not in people.

“These data are extremely promising, but they are in eight people,” says Brianne Barker, an immunologist at Drew University in Madison, N.J. “I agree with Moderna and NIAID that they should keep going” with the vaccine, she says. “But I don’t know that we fully know yet that this is going to be a home run.”

Other vaccine candidates are proceeding in trials

Leading candidates include Oxford's vaccine, which is actually being trialed to see if it will produce a protective effect against covid-19 infection in >1000 patient study:

https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/oxford-coronavirus-trials-heres-what-we-know-so-far-about-the-covid-19-vaccine/

Half the patients get the covid-19 vaccine, half get a licensed meningitis vaccine, and the infection rates with covid-19 will be compared in the two groups

The Oxford vaccine is a modified Adenovirus that produces the SARS-Cov2 spike protein.  It has been shown to protect rhesus monkeys against contracting covid-19, although that study has been criticized.  The Moderna vaccine did not perform a preclinical trial in monkeys.

Here's a reasonable summary of various candidates by cnbc:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/13/coronavirus-scientists-race-to-find-a-cure-or-vaccine-here-are-the-top-drugs-in-development.html
In addition to the Oxford and Moderna vaccines, Innovio and Pfizer have vaccine candidates in clinical trials, Innovio started  on April 6 with readout expected by late summer, Pfizer started in Germany in late April and in US in early May.  Not clear when readout is expected.  Other companies are a bit further back. 

For those who don't like cnbc and who do want more depth, here's vaccine dev commentary by my boi pharma blogger Derek Lowe:
What the picture looked like in April: https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/04/15/coronavirus-vaccine-prospects

Deeper dive: https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/04/23/a-close-look-at-the-frontrunning-coronavirus-vaccines-as-of-april-23

[he includes the Chinese development work, which is helpful]

And just now, another update: https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/05/18/another-set-of-coronavirus-vaccine-candidates

I suppose I should add that Derek is essentially a discovery guy, while my background is in development - meaning I have a way different viewpoint on the desirability of purifying large quantities of vaccine candidates from tobacco leaves and insect cells than he does, for good reason - but it's still worth looking at the Big Picture.

Cheers!

[Edit: this is a pretty good article that describes the immune system and what scientists hope to achieve with vaccines

https://www.wired.com/story/moderna-covid-19-vaccine-trials/ LOL at the "Screaming Baby Rambo" innate immunity analogy]

• Like (+1) 3

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, so if it's not, please delete.  I think it's relevant because it shows how much misinformation is out there and we all know how dangerous that can be.  I hesitated posting this because it has the potential to go to the dark side.  I'm hoping that doesn't happen.

Researchers: Nearly Half Of Accounts Tweeting About Coronavirus Are Likely Bots

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/05/20/859814085/researchers-nearly-half-of-accounts-tweeting-about-coronavirus-are-likely-bots

Researchers culled through more than 200 million tweets discussing the virus since January and found that about 45% were sent by accounts that behave more like computerized robots than humans.

It is too early to say conclusively which individuals or groups are behind the bot accounts, but researchers said the tweets appeared aimed at sowing division in America.

"We do know that it looks like it's a propaganda machine, and it definitely matches the Russian and Chinese playbooks, but it would take a tremendous amount of resources to substantiate that," said Kathleen Carley, a professor of computer science at Carnegie Mellon University who is conducting a study into bot-generated coronavirus activity on Twitter that has yet to be published.

Researchers identified more than 100 false narratives about COVID-19 that are proliferating on Twitter by accounts controlled by bots.

Among the misinformation disseminated by bot accounts: tweeted conspiracy theories about hospitals being filled with mannequins or tweets that connected the spread of the coronavirus to 5G wireless towers, a notion that is patently untrue.

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.foxnews.com/health/cdc-now-says-coronavirus-does-not-spread-easily-via-contaminated-surfaces

For those of you still wiping down groceries and other packages amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, breathe a sigh of relief: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) now says the novel virus “does not spread easily” from "touching surfaces or objects" — but experts warn that doesn’t mean it’s no longer necessary to take "practical and realistic" precautions in stopping the spread of COVID-19.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/05/20/coronavirus-does-not-spread-easily-surfaces-objects-cdc/5232748002/

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has always warned that "it may be possible" to become infected with coronavirus by touching contaminated surfaces or objects.

It just "does not spread easily" in that manner, the agency says, nor by animal-to-human contact or vice versa.

"COVID-19 is a new disease and we are still learning about how it spreads," the CDC's recently updated guidelines say. "It may be possible for COVID-19 to spread in other ways, but these are not thought to be the main ways the virus spreads."

The problem with a Novel Virus, everything is new. People overreact to so many little things they're told only to have them walked back or completely changed a month or so later. 

[Hap sez: very good points both, and thanks for sharing.  For me, the issue is the large number of cases where the source of transmission are not known. There are still the data that it can live on hard surfaces such as metal and glass for a couple of days.  It's probably correct that the focus should be on person-to-person, airborne transmission, but I'm not sure that rules surface transmission out.  There are a couple contact-tracing case studies where the only discernable contact was sitting in the same seat at a church service that someone with covid-19 had occupied earlier or similar, so it can happen.  Let's just say if you're scrubbing your gallon of milk then huddling up shoulder-to-shoulder at a bus stop unmasked, that's probably misplaced concern]

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2007764?query=featured_home

https://www.wktv.com/content/news/570720892.html

Researchers have finally published the data that led the federal government to recommend the use of the antiviral drug remdesivir in very ill coronavirus patients, and they say the drug alone will not be enough to help patients.

The data, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, show the drug shortened the course of illness from an average of 15 days to about 11 days.

"Preliminary results of this trial suggest that a 10-day course of remdesivir was superior to placebo in the treatment of hospitalized patients with Covid-19," the researchers wrote. But it was not a cure and it did not act quickly.

"These preliminary findings support the use of remdesivir for patients who are hospitalized with Covid-19 and require supplemental oxygen therapy," the researchers, led by a team at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, wrote.

"However, given high mortality despite the use of remdesivir, it is clear that treatment with an antiviral drug alone is not likely to be sufficient," they added. "Future strategies should evaluate antiviral agents in combination with other therapeutic approaches or combinations of antiviral agents to continue to improve patient outcomes in Covid-19."

Other teams are already combining antiviral drugs, including remdesivir, with immune modulating drugs in coronavirus patients. The NIAID says it has started a trial that compares remdesivir alone to remdesivir combined with the anti-inflammatory drug baricitinib, used to treat rheumatoid arthritis.

The study also showed that it's important to start treatment early.

"Our findings highlight the need to identify Covid-19 cases and start antiviral treatment before the pulmonary disease progresses to require mechanical ventilation," NIAID'S clinical research leaders Dr. John Beigel, Dr. Clifford Lane and their team wrote.

Late last month, the federal government announced that the drug was helping and the US Food and Drug Administration gave remdesivir an emergency use authorization to treat Covid-19.

The study's findings were considered significant because it was the first double-blind, placebo-controlled trial to test the drug in patients. That means some patients got no drug, and neither patient nor doctors knew who was getting the real treatment.

But some critics complained that the data were not published and worried the federal government was rushing the results.

The team tested 1,063 patients. They found those who got the infused drug recovered after an average of 11 days. Those who got placebo treatment took 15 days on average to recover. As previously reported, 7% of patients who got remdesivir died, compare to 11.9% given placebo infusions. But those results were not statistically significant.

Patients who needed oxygen appeared to benefit the most from the drug, the researchers reported.

"These findings support the use of remdesivir in this population, with the largest benefit observed among individuals who required oxygen supplementation but were not mechanically ventilated," Gilead Sciences, which makes the drug, said in a statement.

"We anticipate that results from our Phase 3 SIMPLE-Severe study, which is evaluating remdesivir in a similar population of COVID-19 patients requiring oxygen but not on mechanical ventilation, will be published in the near future. These data from the SIMPLE-Severe study support treatment of some patients for 5 days rather than 10 days, depending on clinical status."

Remdesivir did not cause an excess of side-effects and appeared safer than placebo, they added.

• Like (+1) 2

Coronavirus fact?  We’re ***** blowing it with how people are handling the lessening of restrictions.  Highest # of daily infections and hospitalizations in NC since pandemic began.  Arkansas seeing a second spike, and running out of ICU beds in some cities.  Several other states including Virginia, Illinois, Florida and DC seeing spikes in numbers.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fox2now.com/news/coronavirus/st-louis-county-issues-travel-advisory-after-lake-of-the-ozark-videos-go-viral/amp/

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/05/18/857943858/coronavirus-cases-surge-in-texas-panhandle-as-state-continues-to-reopen

https://www.businessinsider.com/dire-coronavirus-alabama-icu-no-beds-2020-5

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/499322-nc-sees-coronavirus-cases-surge-in-highest-single-day-total%3famp

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
Just the facts
  • Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

So, after three months have we flattened the curve yet?

Certainly in NYS we are past the flattening and are on the lower portion of the curve. Regions continue to open in Phase 1 with Long Island the latest to open. NYS Covid deaths dropped to the lowest since the start of tracking in March. But we have to remain cautious and not make the mistakes of other states that are having a rise in cases because people there are disregarding CDC guidelines.

Edited by PastaJoe

Not sure if already posted:

Looks like the WHO recommends mask use only when you have symptoms or are in the presence of someone with symptoms:

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

Obviously this is different from CDC recommendations. 

@Hapless Bills Fan, any advice on this?

On 5/29/2020 at 7:35 AM, thebandit27 said:

Looks like the WHO recommends mask use only when you have symptoms or are in the presence of someone with symptoms:

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

This is diverging from “Facts Only” since it’s my opinion based on my survey of the published evidence.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again:  I don’t think it’s coincidence that the places that have had the Best Luck reining this thing in are the places with a high incidence of public mask wearing.

Initially, public health folks figured this Covid-19 thing transmitted like flu, where droplet transmission (doesn’t spread that far) and surface transmission are a thing.  Now I think there’s a good bit of evidence that aerosol transmission is a thing.

There is also IMO a good bit of evidence that people may be most contagious for 1-2 days BEFORE they develop symptoms.  There are several very clear reports transmission where someone who was asymptomatic at the time spread the disease through aerosol transmission.

Then there are the ijits like the Springfield, MO Great Clips hairdresser who worked for 8 days while symptomatic  exposing something like 91 people (and visited Walmart, CVS, Dairy Queen, and a health club to boot) [update: and now a second hairdresser at the same location has tested positive and apparently worked while symptomatic, exposing another cluster of people.....]

Given these things, the advice to wear a mask “only when you have symptoms” or “are in the presence of someone with symptoms” seems....Ineffectual....to me.  First off, how will you know if you’re in the presence of someone with symptoms?  And if you are, are they gonna do the right thing, or are they gonna boogie about snorting on you?

• Sad 1

On 5/29/2020 at 8:35 AM, thebandit27 said:

That is dated information from March, I believe.  The CDC has more recent recommendations indicating mask usage and I believe that WHO is currently examining whether to change their recommendation status.

https://www.axios.com/who-asymptomatic-coronavirus-69c56ce3-41e0-4ea7-ab2a-de866713b4cf.html

The World Health Organization clarified comments an official made on Monday that called asymptomatic transmission of the coronavirus "very rare," saying in a press conference that these carriers do take part in spreading the virus but that more information is needed to know by how much.

What they're saying: WHO official Marisa Van Kerkhove clarified Tuesday that patients sometimes confuse not having any symptoms with only exhibiting mild symptoms. In addition, some patients transmit the virus before developing symptoms. Contact tracers classify this group as "presymptomatic," rather than asymptomatic.

• Van Kerkhov said the WHO estimates 16% of people are asymptomatic and can transmit the virus. Some models suggest up to 40% of coronavirus transmission might be due to asymptomatic spread, she added, but much more information is needed.
  • Van Kerkhove stressed that her comments on Monday were specific to particular studies and did not represent a new policy or direction. The WHO said it regrets saying that asymptomatic spread is "very rare."

[Edit: I would still like to know what "particular studies" she refers to in her clarification.  If they're there, give us a list!  What's so hard here?]