COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic

Hapless Bills Fan
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

[This is a general message.  If you see it, please don't take it personally]

Now that we’re READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL, We are trying to return to a FOCUS ON FOOTBALL at Two Bills Drive

Because people have indicated they find this thread a useful resource, we’ve decided to leave it here but lock it.

I will continue to curate.  If you find updated info you’d like to include, please PM me.   If it comes from a source rated “low” for factual and “extreme” for bias, it probably won’t make it out of my PM box unless I can find a more reliable source for it (I will search)

As I have time, I will probably tighten the focus on sourced, verifiable info and prune outdated stuff, to make it easier to find.

GO BILLS!

A couple of useful tools to track progress on prevention (vaccine) and possible treatments:

First, Vaccines:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/science/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker.html

Really nice listing of different vaccine candidates, how they work, and what phase of development they're in.

Seems to update regularly.

Next, treatments:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/science/coronavirus-drugs-treatments.html

I haven't had time to read it all but what I scanned matches the evidence as I see it

• Thank you (+1) 1

This is really important. 

New Nature paper about T-cell responses in convalescent covid-19 patients.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2550-z
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2550-z_reference.pdf

Background and what they did:

1) Adaptive immune response is way more involved than antibodies.  Antibodies are easy to measure.  Antibody response may not be "where it's at" with covid-19 immunity

2) 36 convalescent covid-19 patients were studied for T-cell response (an important adaptive immunity response).  They all had it.

3) The authors then decided to go look at patients who had been infected with SARS.  They looked at 23 of 'em.  SEVENTEEN YEARS LATER, they still had anti-SARS memory T cells. 

4) They also found SARS-CoV-2 specific T cells in 37 individuals with no history of SARS, COVID-19 or contact with SARS/COVID-19 patients - but these T cells were reacting to different regions indicating they were not infected with SARS-CoV-2, but nonetheless have some immunity.   The reactive regions have low homology to the common cold, but high homology to animal coronaviruses.   This may have important bearing on the number of people to whom covid-19 infection is "no big deal" - they already have a partial adaptive immune response.

Why we care:

-The implication of finding anti-SARS memory T cells after almost 2 decades, is that a covid-19 vaccine that elicits a good T-cell response has a very high chance to produce a lasting immune response.

-The implication of finding cross-reacting T cells in non-exposed people could mean these people were actually exposed and don't know it - that's hard to rule out.  But it could also explain the very large number of people who do not seem susceptible to serious SARS-CoV2 disease. 

Very readable blog about it by Pharma Blogger Derek Lowe

Bottom line up front: when you're reading about anti-covid-19 antibodies or about vaccine results, keep your eye on the T-cells.

Edit: here's my previous post on the topic where I try to explain adaptive immune response, but it has links to threads and articles by real immunologists and stuff:

• Thank you (+1) 3

OK, folks - I think it's time to renew some guidance.

If you wish to discuss, if you're on a computer, please click on the time and date in the top left of the post.  This will bring up a link you can copy.

Paste that link into the discussion thread, and have at it, but please don't discuss here !

Why not? 

This thread was started by popular request, of people who complained the discussion thread was getting unwieldy and hard to find the links and info they were looking for.

It's getting a bit unwieldy as it is, but 18 pages are easier to find stuff than 162 pages.  It's actually more work for me, but most people seem to appreciate it which keeps me going when I'm tempted to say "F*** it all" and walk off.

What can I post here?  Any factual information about the covid-19 disease and the epidemic.  Please give sources - "I know a guy whose best friend's parrot walker told him..." doesn't cut it.  "Republican War Room" on Youtube doesn't cut it.***  "Republicifucankeepit" on Twitter doesn't cut it.  If they reference an NBC interview, please find and paste the link, don't make it indirect.  Please use direct links as much as possible, not Getpocket and Googleamp.

I'm posting this because I just had to delete a post that mixed a very good article with the above, and I simply could not edit it to replace with the direct NBC link.  I tried!

I hated to do it, but Honest Injun I'd delete a number of far-left twitters and youtubes just as fast.  I think social media selectively editing and quoting is a problem.

Factual info on the hot current topic of reopening schools is appropriate and encouraged.

***I thought it went without saying, but apparently not, far left and nominally Democratic political sites as sources don't cut it either

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Interesting article here from 5 Harvard Professors in the Boston Globe. Tons of great links embedded in the story on effects of opening schools etc. Some snippets from the article. I copied link at opened in Incognito mode on Chrome to avoid paywall.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/07/20/opinion/listen-science-reopen-schools/

Some relevant quotes

Prolonged time away from schools has led to months of lost learning and widened gaps in educational achievement, especially for some students of color and those in lower income households. Adding months more to this toll will be an educational disaster that some children may never recover from. School closures also threaten some children’s safety, due to increased child neglect, hurt children’s mental health, and keep many from getting enough to eat.

Multiple studies show that children are not only less likely to become seriously ill from COVID-19, they are also only half as likely to get infected in the first place. Overall, the rate of infection requiring hospitalization among US school-age children (5 to 17) since the beginning of the pandemic though July 4 was roughly 1 in 20,000.

What about the risk to teachers and staff? Again, listen to the science. A report led by the former head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention under President Obama concluded that children appear less likely than adults to transmit COVID-19 to others — unlike other viruses like influenza — though this evidence is still limited and preliminary. Studies examining schools with known cases of COVID-19 have shown low transmission rates — for instance, in one case, just two students and no teachers infected out of 863 close contacts. Others show zero confirmed infections even among teachers and students who sat in the same classroom with a symptomatic child.

We are not advocating a return to schools as usual. Schools must aggressively implement proven risk reduction strategies. A layered approach should include rapid testing and contact tracing, physical distancing when possible, mask-wearing with breaks built into the day, frequent hand hygiene, and well-ventilated spaces.

Reopening schools should not be an us-versus-them argument. It’s not a Democratic vs. Republican argument. It’s about our children and about the evidence. We should be following the science that says in-person schooling for our kids is too valuable to give up and that the risks of school-based transmission appear to be low

[Edit: thank you very much @plenzmd1!  So here's the thing - implementing risk reduction strategies costs money.  Many school districts around here, have kleenex and colored pencils only because they ask parents to donate.]

• Awesome! (+1) 3

Follow up on the Springfield Great Clips exposure incident from CDC Morbidity and Mortality report with details on the type of mask worn

139 clients exposed; 67 tested - 0 positive.  72 refused.  All clients were asked to quarantine for 14 days from exposure with daily follow up by phone or text.

6 close contacts of the 2 symptomatic covid-19+ hairdressers were tested.  4 close contacts (same household) of 1 hairdresser all became symptomatic and tested positive.  The 2 contacts of the second hairdresser apparently refused testing, but did not develop symptoms.

Here's the gouge on the masks from follow-up interviews with 104 clients:

-One infected stylist interacted with the second infected unmasked during breaks between clients

-The stylist-client exposure lasted 15 to 45 minutes (mean: 20 minutes)

-102 (98.1%) reported wearing face coverings for their entire appointment, and two (1.9%) reported wearing face coverings part of the time 

-49 (47.1%) wore cloth face coverings

-48 (46.1%) wore surgical masks

-five (4.8%) wore N95 respirators

-two (1.9%) did not know what kind of face covering they wore.

-101 (97.1%) interviewed clients reported that their stylist wore a face covering for the entire appointment; three did not know.

-When asked about the type of face coverings worn by the stylists, 64 (61.5%) reported that their stylist wore a cloth face covering (39; 37.5%) or surgical mask (25; 24.0%); 40 (38.5%) clients did not know or remember the type of face covering worn by stylists.

My bottom line: when both people interacting wear them ,masks work - even cloth or paper ones

MASK UP FOR FOOTBALL!

image.thumb.png.7fd5e50279c2e3f0c247fe78da4a390d.png

• Thank you (+1) 1

More big news on Vaccines!

The Oxford/Astrazeneca vaccine has good Phase I/II results, including neutralizing antibodies and a T-cell response.

Some popular articles:

https://time.com/5869007/oxford-astrazeneca-vaccine-covid-19/

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2237475-covid-19-news-oxford-vaccine-is-safe-and-induces-immune-response/

Publication on Oxford/Astrazeneca trial results in The Lancet

This vaccine is a little different.  It uses a neutered chimpanzee virus, an adenovirus, as the "delivery truck" to drive a gene expressing the SARS CoV2 spike protein to your immune system (hence the name ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 -ChimpAdenovirusOxford1 novelCoronaVirus, get it)?  Concerns about human adenovirus-based vaccines are that many older adults have neutralizing antibodies against the "wild" virus, which makes the vaccine less effective.  I'm not sure to what extent that applies to a chimp viral particle.

Meanwhile, Chinese company CanSino Biologics has also published favorable results

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31605-6/fulltext

Again, see both neutralizing antibodies and a T-cell response.

Good thread summarizing both trials and giving some data by Epidemiologist Eric Feigl-Ding

Enjoy!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

This is a promising therapeutic result from British company Synairgen, albeit a small trial and only a press release.

https://www.technologynetworks.com/drug-discovery/news/positive-trial-results-of-sng001-in-hospitalized-covid-19-patients-337623?fbclid=IwAR1PQHA0_jKVceXK-wZLEXT3w5HXmBF06qQw-zQqX9aeM2KH1j7l7Z6hOF4

The drug, SNG001, is a formulation of a naturally occurring antiviral protein called interferon beta that’s inhaled directly into the lungs in the hope of stimulating an immune response.

Here's their clinical trial info: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04385095

Key points:

-double-blind study (no retrospective or uncontrolled stuff)

-reduced disease progression of hospitalized patients

-"The odds of developing severe disease (e.g. requiring ventilation or resulting in death) during the treatment period (day 1 to day 16) were significantly reduced by 79% for patients receiving SNG001 compared to patients who received placebo (OR 0.21 [95% CI 0.04-0.97]; p=0.046).
-Patients who received SNG001 were more than twice as likely to recover (defined as ‘no limitation of activities’ or ‘no clinical or virological evidence of infection’) over the course of the treatment period compared to those receiving placebo (HR 2.19 [95% CI 1.03-4.69]; p=0.043).
-Over the treatment period, the measure of breathlessness was markedly reduced in patients who received SNG001 compared to those receiving placebo (p=0.007).
-Three subjects (6%) died after being randomised to placebo. There were no deaths among subjects treated with SNG001."

I'm still digesting this:

https://www.pnas.org/content/117/26/14857

Identifying airborne transmission as the dominant route for the spread of COVID-19

-looked at 3 epicenters: China, Italy, and United States

-"Our results show that the airborne transmission route is highly virulent and dominant for the spread of COVID-19. The mitigation measures are discernable from the trends of the pandemic. Our analysis reveals that the difference with and without mandated face covering represents the determinant in shaping the trends of the pandemic. This protective measure significantly reduces the number of infections. Other mitigation measures, such as social distancing implemented in the United States, are insufficient by themselves in protecting the public."

-"Within an enclosed environment, virus-bearing aerosols from human atomization are readily accumulated, and elevated levels of airborne viruses facilitate transmission from person to person. Transmission of airborne viruses in open air is subject to dilution, although virus accumulation still occurs due to stagnation under polluted urban conditions"

I take this to be their key figure, with the take-home that the stay-at-home orders and closures halted the rise in cases, but cases actually only declined in NYC after face-coverings were implemented.  (the blue smear indicates the range of dates when stay-at-home orders were implemented in different states]

image.thumb.png.2a9863d86d76a9cc653a176c1b085454.png

Will loop back later to add more summary points.  If anyone else has some, feel free to post and I'll merge.

[Whoda thunk, US saved by the EPA (our air in most cities is typically much cleaner than Chinese cities or cities in N. Italy - except for LA)]

In a briefing on school reopening, US Senator John Kennedy (R-La) stated that the US can reopen schools safely because "Germany, France, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Austria, South Korea, Japan, even Vietnam, for God’s sakes, have opened their schools, and they’ve done so safely."

From "Our World in Data", here is a plot of 7 day average of current covid-19 infections per million population.  One of these country graphs is not like the others.

Vietnam does not do a lot of testing, but they opened schools after a full month with no community infection reported.

image.thumb.png.a00a041e1608e272485717762d5e023d.png

14 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Check out the surge, spike in Alaska:

AlaskaCOVID-19.thumb.jpg.d41a0d602ed91ae0d438bf75650c6707.jpg

That's  over 1% death  rate. Geeze, how much more isolated  can you  get.

I'm not sure how they're doing their plot, but I think that is cumulative cases

From JHU covid site here is the daily case count.  It's not that it isn't surging, but their high is 111 cases per day

image.thumb.png.940a2600549f01a812cbd83e5b0cc976.png

They're also testing a lot and have 3% positivity, so if they are able to trace and get a handle on this they should be OK.

image.thumb.png.d1a798cac80f01d0d74b66635e2a5197.png

Per Worldometer, they have had 20 covid-19 deaths in Alaska, so unless they're way undercounting for some reason 20/2524 cases is 0.8% which implies they've been finding most of their cases and their medical system has been so far able to cope.

• Like (+1) 1

Interesting risk assessment tool from Georgia Tech. https://covid19risk.biosci.gatech.edu/

Check out the "real time US and state level estimates" to get an idea how the probability varies with case incidence.  You input the size of the gathering; it uses the current reported infection incidence to calculate the probability that at least 1 covid-19 infected person will be at the gathering.

At the state level, it also shows predictions for 5x and 10x the reported cases (in a state with a high percentage of positive tests, the true number of cases may be 5-10x higher)

Then, after you get a feel for the difference in risk if cases are 5x or 10x higher, check out the "risk estimates by county", choose ascertainment bias (aka whether cases are 5x or 10x the reported level) and input the relevant size of gathering.

If you're living in a location where there's a lot of testing, the test turn around is 2 days, and the % positive tests are <2%, 5x may be an overestimate. 

Otherwise, use 10x, and it may be an underestimate.

Take it with a grain of salt, but it's a useful starting point to think about or to ask relatives to think about what is the risk of a gathering of this many people? Masks of course cut transmission.  The "attack rate" for people with close, unmasked contact for >15 minutes is believed to be between 12-30% meaning if you have 100 unmasked people at a picnic or a church service, and there is one infected gregarious soul singing loudly or going around chatting up everyone there or hovering over the grill serving, typically we expect between 12 and 30 of those people may become infected - obviously it can be more or fewer in a specific case, such as the Washington State choir

@Hapless Bills Fan Have you seen this video circulating,?This group supposedly called American Frontline Doctors. The video has already been removed and taken down. But transcript provided. They make some very serious, and widely controversial claims.

The transcript of that video.

https://www.rev.com/blog/transcripts/americas-frontline-doctors-scotus-press-conference-transcript

This lady especially made some very serious claims.

Dr. Stella Immanuel: (05:27)
Hello, I’m Dr. Stella Immanuel. I’m a primary care physician in Houston, Texas. I actually went to medical school in West Africa, Nigeria, where I took care of malaria patients, treated them with hydroxychloroquine and stuff like that. So I’m actually used to these medications. I’m here because I have personally treated over 350 patients with COVID. Patients that have diabetes, patients that have high blood pressure, patients that have asthma, old people … I think my oldest patient is 92 … 87 year olds. And the result has been the same. I put them on hydroxychloroquine, I put them on zinc, I put them on Zithromax, and they’re all well.

Dr. Stella Immanuel: (06:12)
For the past few months, after taking care of over 350 patients, we’ve not lost one. Not a diabetic, not a somebody with high blood pressure, not somebody who asthma, not an old person. We’ve not lost one patient. And on top of that, I’ve put myself, my staff, and many doctors that I know on hydroxychloroquine for prevention, because by the very mechanism of action, it works early and as a prophylaxis. We see patients, 10 to 15 COVID patients, everyday. We give them breathing treatments. We only wear surgical mask. None of us has gotten sick. It works.

Dr. Stella Immanuel: (06:46)
So right now, I came here to Washington DC to say, America, nobody needs to die. The study that made me start using hydroxychloroquine was a study that they did under the NIH in 2005 that say it works. Recently, I was doing some research about a patient that had hiccups and I found out that they even did a recent study in the NIH, which is our National Institute … that is the National … NIH, what? National Institute of Health. They actually had a study and go look it up. Type hiccups and COVID, you will see it. They treated a patient that had hiccups with hydroxychloroquine and it proved that hiccups is a symptom of COVID. So if the NIH knows that treating the patient would hydroxychloroquine proves that hiccup is a symptom of COVID, then they definitely know the hydroxychloroquine works.

Dr. Stella Immanuel: (07:42)
I’m upset. Why I’m upset is that I see people that cannot breathe. I see parents walk in, I see diabetic sit in my office knowing that this is a death sentence and they can’t breathe. And I hug them and I tell them, “It’s going to be okay. You’re going to live.” And we treat them and they leave. None has died. So if some fake science, some person sponsored by all these fake pharma companies comes out say, “We’ve done studies and they found out that it doesn’t work.” I can tell you categorically it’s fixed science. I want to know who is sponsoring that study. I want to know who is behind it because there is no way I can treat 350 patients and counting and nobody is dead and they all did better.

[Hap Says: How about we discuss her beliefs about endometriosis, cysts, infertility, and impotance?  "some of Immanuel’s sermons posted to her website have strange medical claims, including one in which she claims that certain medical issues like endometriosis, cysts, infertility and impotence are the result of sex with “spirit husbands” and “spirit wives,” which Immanuel described as having sex in dreams with witches and demons.

“We call them all kinds of names —endometriosis, we call them molar pregnancies, we call them fibroids, we call them cysts, but most of them are evil deposits from the spirit husband,” she said."    Oh, did I mention the alien DNA and the vaccine against religion?

Note: these are taken from HER WEBSITE.  Apparently getting a medical education is no protection from, let's just say "alternative facts".

Hydroxychloroqune has been discussed here Over.  and Over.  again.  Go upthread and look at two review articles I posted from Indian scientists and physicians.  India has every reason to look for an inexpensive, easy-to-synthesize cheap cure and no reason to pass one up.  Their conclusion: doesn't work. 

Her claim about NIH and hiccups:  There is a preprint, not a published paper, a preprint, in a specific otolarangology journal describing a case where a man presented with hiccups and turned out to have covid.  It is from a physician in Alexandria, EGYPT.  It has nothing to do with the NIH, it was not published by the NIH, the author is not affiliated with the NIH, and the CDC does not list hiccups as a symptom of covid.  That she translates it into being published by NIH and becoming a symptom of covid should tell you all you need to know about her honesty and quality - if the "spirit wives" and "spirit husbands" thing wasn't enough.

It really pisses me off that scientists can do careful work for months and months to establish whether or not a treatment is effective - that's how we found remdesivir and dexamethasone and stopped using kalatra - and in 10 or 15 ***** minutes some whackadoodledo with a medical degree, a microphone and a belief that endometriosis and cysts are deposits from spirit husbands can be taken as having more cred.   Oh, and medical degree optional.]

23 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

OK, one more thing.  The 2005 study she mentions is real - it was done for the SARS CoV which causes SARS, a different virus to SARS CoV2 which causes covid-19.  It was done in cells.  It is one of the reasons why hydroxychloroquine was tried as a treatment.  But when careful clinical trials were done, unfortunately it has not been shown to work.

Unfortunately, many compounds which look extremely promising in cells, do not work in animals.  And many that work in animals, don't work in people.

21 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

"Local doctors right here in Kansas City say there are EXTREMELY misleading claims in this video about masks, medicine, and schools.

See a few of the comments in this video:
https://www.facebook.com/kuhospital/videos/329772985095263/"

"I also did some digging. Someone created the "America's Frontline Doctors" website just 12 days ago (see attached picture)."

"It was disappointing to see our colleagues nationally get up on the steps in DC and say stuff that’s just so far off," said The University of Kansas Health System Chief Medical Officer Dr. Steve Stites.  Dr. Stites talked about the use of Hydroxychloroquine.  "We’re building the airplane while we fly it, and sometimes we figure the parts don’t fit, and that’s hydroxychloroquine," Stites said. "It looked theoretically like it was going to work, we even initiated a study here, the HERO study, trying to look at the use of hydroxychloroquine for front line workers. The reality is, it hasn’t worked, despite everybody’s trying to postulate that it should."

• Thank you (+1) 1

OK, I think to sniff our path out of this covid-19 pandemic, this country needs to Go to the Dogs!  Literally!

Dog sense of smell is amazing, and no one really knows how it works.  "“Scent-detection dogs can accurately detect low concentrations of volatile organic compounds, otherwise knowns as VOCs, associated with various diseases such as ovarian cancer, bacterial infections, and nasal tumors," said Cynthia Otto, director of the center and professor of working dog sciences and sports medicine. "These VOCs are present in human blood, saliva, urine, or breath.”

First Germany:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-8568657/Trained-sniffer-dogs-detect-coronavirus-human-swab-samples-94-cent-success-rate.html

https://bmcinfectdis.biomedcentral.com/track/pdf/10.1186/s12879-020-05281-3

Eight detection dogs were trained for 1 week to detect saliva or tracheobronchial secretions of SARS-CoV-2 infected patients in a randomised, double-blinded and controlled study.

The dogs were able to discriminate between samples of infected (positive) and non-infected (negative) individuals with average diagnostic sensitivity of 82.63% (95% confidence interval [CI]: 82.02–83.24%) and specificity of 96.35% (95% CI: 96.31–96.39%). During the presentation of 1012 randomised samples, the dogs achieved an overall average detection rate of 94% (±3.4%) with 157 correct indications of positive, 792 correct rejections of negative, 33 incorrect indications of negative or incorrect rejections of 30 positive sample presentations.

It would be interesting, given the false negative rate of the RT-PCR test, to retest those incorrect samples.

Penn State!!!!

https://www.inquirer.com/news/covid-19-dog-sniffing-penn-study-20200429.html

This is the sort of thing that could really open up normal life.  Imagine if you get screened by sniffer dogs entering a large venue like a stadium or a concert, or an airplane flight or a bus or train for that matter.  Positives could be directed to a secondary screening room where their results could be confirmed by a rapid laboratory test.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 7/27/2020 at 1:16 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Check out the surge, spike in Alaska:

AlaskaCOVID-19.thumb.jpg.d41a0d602ed91ae0d438bf75650c6707.jpg

That's  over 1% death  rate. Geeze, how much more isolated  can you  get.

Canada has been letting Americans who own property in Alaska cross the border under strict rules that they take the direct route to Alaska and limit stopping to basics like getting gas at the closest station.

So the virus can spread from other states (and of course we are getting all the reports of Americans ignoring the rules and being found in places far from the fastest route sight seeing and shopping)

59 minutes ago, driddles said:

Canada has been letting Americans who own property in Alaska cross the border under strict rules that they take the direct route to Alaska and limit stopping to basics like getting gas at the closest station.

So the virus can spread from other states (and of course we are getting all the reports of Americans ignoring the rules and being found in places far from the fastest route sight seeing and shopping)

Thanks.   I wonder what Juneau  is doing.  No  roads go in and out of the Capital.  So,  the Capital  city has  to be out of the equation.  ??  Unless  it's  coming  in by plane or boat/ferry. It's  gotta  be Anchorage  and Fairbanks.   FWIW,  I find it  fascinating because it's  so  big and isolated  up there. Tourists?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

51 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Thanks.   I wonder what Juneau  is doing.  No  roads go in and out of the Capital.  So,  the Capital  city has  to be out of the equation.  ??  Unless  it's  coming  in by plane or boat/ferry. It's  gotta  be Anchorage  and Fairbanks.   FWIW,  I find it  fascinating because it's  so  big and isolated  up there. Tourists?

From JHU covid site:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/region/us/alaska

Looks as though Fairbanks has the highest density of cases and there's a pretty wide spread of cases heading N from Anchorage - is that Denali?

I couldn't find one normalized for population though
image.thumb.png.4bdb49d362494467528f11ec85d8b8e9.png

Perhaps further discussion -> discussion thread?

Are things getting worse?? Children appear to be getting sick in larger numbers...

[This might be a good place to put this:

https://www.newsweek.com/most-recovered-covid-19-patients-left-heart-damage-study-shows-1521456

78% of 100 recovered covid-19 patients showed heart damage on MRI

Most of the patients in the study had "mild" illness and recovered at home]