Does Beane know anything about hockey?

3 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

Terry might be a very competent fracker. I don't know, that's not my field. 

But based on the way he runs his sports team, I would never hire him above a technical position. He should not have any people under management. There's nothing else I can conclude other than the Pegulas lucked into a major asset with a clear valuation. 

She is smart enough to be a billionaire, and part owner of a pro football, and hockey teams, how about you?  Or is it you just run your mouth on message boards, Lol, what a putz...  

Go Bills!!!

30 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

There is so much to sift through in this post.  "Lucky Billionaires" caught my eye.  Just a bit of an oxymoron.  "Incompetent"?  Really?  The only "pretending" I see, is from your jealous ass pretending to known jack ***** about what you are talking about.

They do seem to have hired and put a lot of faith in quite a few hucksters and their organization (particularly on the hockey side) seems to have quite a few unforced errors.  They seem to have gotten it right on the football side and I like Ralph Krueger on the hockey side but there is still a lot of work to do over there because they still look like bumbling idiots more often than they should.  They bungle silly things just for lack of communication and attention to detail.  The whole alumni jersey thing is a good example.  That got messed up because they fired someone in the summer and then ASSUMED that the person they just fired had handled all the details.  Nobody double checked and the ball got dropped.  It's ultimately not a big deal but it's an unnecessary black eye to take in what has been a difficult year to start with.  Again, it's not a huge deal as a one-off but it makes you wonder what other things are lacking in the organization because it is clearly deeply troubled and dysfunctional.

I'm not going to delve into the owner's wife angle.  What I will say is that I am not qualified to step into an organization like the Buffalo Sabres and run it effectively.  I suspect most people aren't.  What would happen if I were put into that position is almost exactly what the Pegulas actually did.  I would reach out to names I know or try to raid other model organizations for talent.  I would put too much trust into people who talked a good game (Russ Brandon) because I wouldn't know any better and I'd end up looking like an idiot.  I'd gain knowledge through experience over time but it would be really ugly for a while unless I got truly lucky.  As I see it they stopped trying to figure out the X and O part of football and focused on people who they felt could build positive culture.  They seem to have done that and those people have also turned out to be good at the football part also.  I think they are trying to do the same thing on the  hockey side with Krueger.  Who knows if it ends up working or not. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Great signings thus far.  Maybe Terry can have him take over the Sabres?  At the very least maybe he could advise them on how to run a team.

NO! NO! NO! This is like when the great Italian restaurant in town does so well, they try to open a little french bistro too after a few years......and the whole thing goes down the toilet! 

:)

7 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

The truth is you are a sexist.  You bring up Kim as though she only has any clout due to marrying a rich man. What a sophomoric and insecure take. Incel much?

"Kim Pegula is a poor businesswoman" = "Sexist! No other possible explanation!"

8 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Well, you roll in here like you know business...better than a self-made BILLIONAIRE.

You gotta expect a little flack, there, Mr. Astor.

"He's richer than you thus you are wrong" 

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

If you don’t know about what made him a billionaire then maybe you should be quiet and not call him a lucky billionaire.

He missed on Ryan, listened to some folks and went out and got McD and Beane.  Botterill was highly regarded in the league.  Housley was as well.  Sometimes you don’t know until the give the guy a shot.  

Thank you for offering a rebuttal. For whatever reason the older fans on this board are the only ones with remotely any wisdom.

Housley was easy to sniff out from the first interview if you have the eye for it. Weak personality. Should never have been hired.

Botterill was more insidious I'll give you that. But something was funny during his 1st year, and by year 2 it was obvious to anybody with any common sense. Now it's just embarrassing. 

2 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

She is smart enough to be a billionaire, and part owner of a pro football, and hockey teams, how about you?  Or is it you just run your mouth on message boards, Lol, what a putz...  

Go Bills!!!

Great response!

1 hour ago, ToGoGo said:

Speaking as someone who has a business acumen, Kim is absolute trash. 

'

The faster the people of Buffalo stop virtue signaling and pretending she's anything other than a rich man's wife, the faster the Sabres problems will be solved. Natural business instincts are not common. You cannot just give a prominent position to somebody who has not yet proven worthy. Terry in particular has been exposed during this Sabres debacle. They are both lucky billionaires. 

Incompetent. Zero eye for talent. Zero sense of what's going on around them. I will never understand how they lucked into McDermott and Beane. Beane in particular is a rare genius for his position. I pray they don't screw it up. 

Better to be a lucky Billionaire than an unlucky Hundredaire, huh champ?

Just now, Binghamton Beast said:

Better to be a lucky Billionaire than an unlucky Hundredaire, huh champ?

"They are rich, thus you are wrong". 

Common idiots on this board. I'm out. Go support your masters. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ToGoGo said:

Thank you for offering a rebuttal. For whatever reason the older fans on this board are the only ones with remotely any wisdom.

Housley was easy to sniff out from the first interview if you have the eye for it. Weak personality. Should never have been hired.

Botterill was more insidious I'll give you that. But something was funny during his 1st year, and by year 2 it was obvious to anybody with any common sense. Now it's just embarrassing. 

It's pretty clear, as evidenced by your own posts, that you assume Kim is in her position simply by marrying a man.  This is a YOU problem.  Don't you seem to notice your take is not at all well received?  Could it be that your take is too extreme and judgemental????  Gasp!

Just now, ToGoGo said:

"They are rich, thus you are wrong". 

Common idiots on this board. I'm out. Go support your masters. 

Spoken like a true "special genius".  Good on you guy.

26 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

The truth is you are a sexist.  You bring up Kim as though she only has any clout due to marrying a rich man. What a sophomoric and insecure take. Incel much?

Let's look at it the other way.  Let's say that Terry hired her with her resume as the team President with no other connection.  Justify that hiring.

There are plenty of other women who are more qualified for that job on both a business and a hockey level.  I'll give you Brenda Andress and Hayley Wickenhieser as openers

Edited by That's No Moon
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ToGoGo said:

Great response!

Why thank you, Mister I know everything about the Pegulas lives,  maybe some day we meet up, I’ll buy you a beverage and you can regale me with stories of your business prowess...or maybe you can start now, when did it all begin? 

Just now, Johnnycage46 said:

Well to be fair you edited your comment after I responded lol. Your original comment had no reference to other women.  Nice try though.

My wife is the VP of a business and she's more qualified.  Calling something sexist when it isn't sexist cheapens what actual sexism is which is discriminating against people who are actually qualified for the position based on their gender.

1 minute ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Well to be fair you edited your comment after I responded lol. Your original comment had no reference to other women.  Nice try though.

You've seen it now.  Why should she have that job over other more qualified women?

People please. First, this isn’t a Sabre’s board but you have to admit the Team is a mess. Something isn’t working there. They’ve been starting fast and finishing poorly for a couple of years now. They have young star players and yet...nothing. I’m not saying it’s Kim or that it’s not but it’s simply NOT hard to make the NHL playoffs. It’s just not!

5 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

My wife is the VP of a business and she's more qualified.  Calling something sexist when it isn't sexist cheapens what actual sexism is which is discriminating against people who are actually qualified for the position based on their gender.

You've seen it now.  Why should she have that job over other more qualified women?

What exactly makes "your wife" more qualified?  What does her VP status afford her that makes her more qualified than Kim being around her family's business for years? 

47 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

Whatever. 

Not one person can offer any sort of rebuttal. Truth hurts. 

You haven't given any examples of poor management or business decisions. Care to elaborate? Are they leading in a way that is inferior or different than other owners?

Success in football or hockey comes down to hiring the right leaders and accumulating the right talent. It's not as simple as having a good business plan or a sound management strategy. Those could be top notch and you can still lose. There are only a few leaders out there (coaches and GM's) who are good enough to win consistently, and it's very hard to find them, and you keep trying until you do.

If you are still searching, that doesn't mean you are incompetent or know nothing about running an organization. It means you haven't been able to hire the extremely rare individuals yet to do it. And even if you DO identify them, you have to compete with other teams who also want them.

1 minute ago, Johnnycage46 said:

What exactly makes "your wife" more qualified?  What does her VP status afford her that makes her more qualified than Kim being around her family's business for years? 

Well, let's start off with about 20 years of actual experience wherein she has had measurables and accountability.  There is a big difference between "being around" and actually doing and having something at stake when you are actually doing it.  I've "been around" my wife's career since day one.  Stuff like actually fighting her way up to upper management before age 40 in a field that is EXTREMELY male dominated. Those are things that happen when you are actually good at something. Like I said, based on resume, explain it to me.

There are all sorts of things I know about my wife's line of work just from "being around".  It doesn't mean that I can do her job.  In fact, I'll tell you right now that I can't. I don't have her level of expertise and experience in that field.  What I will again say is that there are TONS of women in the business world who have actually had to earn their stripes to move up and there are tons of them, all over the Fortune 500, that are more qualified for that job than the person who is actually in charge.

Terry can put whoever he wants in charge of whatever he wants.  It his money, he owns the teams, that's his prerogative. Let's not pretend that the Sabres are a well run organization.  They aren't.  

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Well Kim/Terry have hired a series of very terrible Hockey executives and some terrible football executives. They got the last 2 football hires right (thank god) but haven't gotten any of the hockey ones right. Maybe "No Moon's" wife has a history of hiring success? I know most people in senior management wouldn't be around after hiring that many failed senior managers. Sports owners and large private business owners (like the orange haired one) never get fired, so they can make a lot of bad choices, because no one can hold them accountable for those bad choices.

Time to dump Botteril, hire a real director of hockey operations that actually knows something, and start fresh by purging the whole bottom six, get a quality Goalie, and a #2 center that we continue to never trade for. Sad that they may hold a 24 team playoff and we still won't qualify. Let that sink in.  

• Haha (+1) 1