E. Ogbah to the Phins 2yrs $15M

Van Noy Ogbah and Lawson. What a peculiar set of pass rushers. Am I supposed to be impressed?

They also spent 10 per on a terrible  tackle who had a good half season at G for a team selecting second overall and set the market at CB for a guy who rarely makes interceptions.

Its splashy but I'm not convinced.

Edited by Seoulofstone
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Dolphins spend too much in free agency. They just can't help themselves. They need to rebuild and do so through the draft. Instead, they are falling back into old habits and snatching up every free agent they can. It would be frustrating to be a Dolphins fan.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

Van Noy Ogbah and Lawson. What a peculiar set of pass rushers. Am I supposed to be impressed?

They also spent 10 per on a terrible  tackle who had a good half season at G for a team selecting second overall and set the market at CB for a guy who rarely makes interceptions.

They're Redskins-ing. Jones is a legit good pickup (but considering they subtracted two pro bowl CBs, including one who is probably better, it's less impressive), I didn't want to lose Lawson, but he's been hit or miss over the years and is certainly not a gamechanger. Van Noy is a solid contributor but nothing special, Ogbah's name is usually better than his play. It could improve them, but they are still nowhere near our D.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, H2o said:

The Dolphins are quietly getting better this offseason. 

It's not exactly "quiet." I'd say their moves, if anything, are being regarded too "loudly"

Also, at this point, I would say the Bills are better than last season too and still have an absurd amount of money to spend. 

9 minutes ago, H2o said:

The Dolphins are quietly getting better this offseason. 

They got rid of so many players last year. But that core played hard for Flores down the stretch. They got better as the season moved along.

If Miami fixes the OL through the draft, gets another Flores guy @ ILB, and gets a top-tier RB? They are gonna do more than just compete. Don't forget the Chan/Fitz reunion as well whom Fitz had his best seasons under. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

Flores values versatility. Van Noy doesn't just serve as a pass-rusher, Ogbah is more of a run-stuffer than a pass rusher, Byron can play CB/S, and I'm sure you all know what Lawson can do. I'll take a guess and say that the moves the made were to improve their team instead of impressing you.; I may be wrong though. 

Flowers is a natural G and is young. Jones rarely makes interceptions because the QB avoids him....

43 minutes ago, MJS said:

The Dolphins spend too much in free agency. They just can't help themselves. They need to rebuild and do so through the draft. Instead, they are falling back into old habits and snatching up every free agent they can. It would be frustrating to be a Dolphins fan.

I understand you're a Bills fan and may not have the best knowledge on the Dolphins, but Miami hasn't spent big money on a free agent since 2015. I'd say they're picking scheme fits instead of big-names and questionable pairings, deep-threat Mike Wallace to go with Tannehill's noodle arm for example, like the old regime. They just can't sit on nearly $100 million in cap. Getting these players in free agency allows Miami to build through the draft--these contracts are front-loaded and Miami picks six times on Day 1 and 2 of the draft (they also have two 1st and 2nd next year as well). Also take into account that Miami has to reset a roster that was majorly practice squad and XFL players last year.

Edited by DolFAN93
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, DolFAN93 said:

Flores values versatility. Van Noy doesn't just serve as a pass-rusher, Ogbah is more of a run-stuffer than a pass rusher, Byron can play CB/S, and I'm sure you all know what Lawson can do. I'll take a guess and say that the moves the made were to improve their team instead of impressing you.; I may be wrong though. 

Flowers is a natural G and is young. Jones rarely makes interceptions because the QB avoids him....

I understand you're a Bills fan and may not have the best knowledge on the Dolphins, but Miami hasn't spent big money on a free agent since 2015. I'd say they're picking scheme fits instead of big-names and questionable pairings, deep-threat Mike Wallace to go with Tannehill's noodle arm for example, like the old regime. They just can't sit on nearly $100 million in cap. Getting these players in free agency allow Miami to build through the draft--these contracts are front-loaded and Miami picks six times on Day 1 and 2 (they also have two 1st and 2nd next year as well). Also take into account that Miami has to reset a roster that was majorly practice squad and XFL players last year.

They’re also setting themselves up to make a move for Tua if needed.... filling roster holes in FA in a similar way to Beane. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, DolFAN93 said:

Without question this group of personnel will improve the Dolphins because they were garbage last year. 

What my post is addressing is the notion that signing these guys makes the defense great. None of these guys are accomplished pass rushers. They are at the absolute best, solid situational players when used properly (and yeah Flores can do that why not?), but also all of them have had multiple seasons of being totally ineffective. I'm not going to crown them as a force until I see it. So if you're impressed by their names and Flores ability to get the best out of people good for you. I'm just gonna wait and see.

Pointing out that the moves weren't made to impress me Is dumb. But ok.

Edited by Seoulofstone

14 minutes ago, H2o said:

If Miami fixes the OL through the draft, gets another Flores guy @ ILB, and gets a top-tier RB? They are gonna do more than just compete. Don't forget the Chan/Fitz reunion as well whom Fitz had his best seasons under. 

I don't think they're done with the OL, a Trent Williams trade could still happen although it seems like they're enamored with younger players. I think they're set with Baker and McMillan at LB unless they add a depth guy. 

4 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

Without question this group of personnel will improve the Dolphins because they were garbage last year. 

What my post is addressing is the notion that signing these guys makes the defense great. None of these guys are accomplished pass rushers. They are solid situational players when used properly (and yeah Flores can do that why not?), but also all of them have had seasons of being totally ineffective. I'm not going to crown them as a force until I see it. So if you're impressed by their names and Flores ability to get the best out of people good for you. I'm just gonna wait and see.

Pointing out that the moves weren't made to impress me Is dumb. But ok.

You're assuming Flores wants an accomplished pass rusher and that's why you think the way you do. He wants guys that get pressure and can defend against the run, he could care less about sacks. Remember that he's a Belichick disciple and his main goal is to disrupt the QB and cause confusion for the OL. The Pats annually have a top 5 defense without a player eclipsing ten sacks for example. I'm impressed by their ability to do what's asked. 

You asked were they supposed to impress you and I answered your question. But ok. 

20 minutes ago, DolFAN93 said:

You're assuming Flores wants an accomplished pass rusher and that's why you think the way you do. He wants guys that get pressure and can defend against the run, he could care less about sacks. Remember that he's a Belichick disciple and his main goal is to disrupt the QB and cause confusion for the OL. The Pats annually have a top 5 defense without a player eclipsing ten sacks for example. I'm impressed by their ability to do what's asked. 

You asked were they supposed to impress you and I answered your question. But ok. 

I get what you're projecting but 'Bellichick disciples' have been famously ineffective at achieving his success outside of NE.

Its cool that you're excited, but they are players who you're buying high on with patchy production. You're welcome to see them as best case and I'm welcome to see them as overpays. Time will tell.

Edited by Seoulofstone