will the oil price war crush the Pegulas?

2 hours ago, stuvian said:

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2020/03/no_author/forget-the-oil-prices-the-whole-us-dollar-bubble-is-deflating/

I don't know the Pegulas holdings but know that their fortune was made in fracking oil. That whole industry could get wiped out if the oil price war between Russia and the Saudis persists.

Whazamattawitchoo, Man? Really? A main board topic??  This isn’t even OTW worthy.

Seriously, we have enough to do keeping noobs in line. Help us out.

9 minutes ago, SoTier said:

In this case, just consider the source.

Lewrockwell.com has been predicting the collapse of the US dollar -- and consequently, the world economy -- for all of its decades-long existence.  It advocates an alternative economic system that's similar to Adam Smith's in Wealth of Nations, which was written in 1776.  It supports a return to the gold standard and totally opposes any government intervention in the economy, which makes it a favorite of radical pepper types who hunker down in their bunkers (or would hunker down in their bunkers if they could only get off the internet) waiting for "the end".

i doubt there will ever be a return to gold backed fiat as long as we have the current model of government ruling the world. doing so would make it finite and deflationary and that is not what Keynesian economics is based upon.

8 minutes ago, Foxx said:

i doubt there will ever be a return to gold backed fiat as long as we have the current model of government ruling the world. doing so would make it finite and deflationary and that is not what Keynesian economics is based upon.

Economic models never deal with reality because they assume that everybody reacts economically rationally to every situation.  Philosophical political models also fail because they don't account for human emotions.   Economic and/or political ideologues are great at spewing wonderful sounding ideas -- and visiting misery on  millions if they get opportunities to actually put their ideologies into action.  The twentieth century saw that repeatedly.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

This probably belongs on the politics feed. Also, natural gas out of PA is their cash cow.

6 hours ago, Mark80 said:

They frack gas, not oil

Yup, this. He is a Natural Gas holder not Oil. If anything, he will only get richer as more and more industries move away from oil to natural gas.

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, SoTier said:

Economic models never deal with reality because they assume that everybody reacts economically rationally to every situation.  Philosophical political models also fail because they don't account for human emotions.   Economic and/or political ideologues are great at spewing wonderful sounding ideas -- and visiting misery on  millions if they get opportunities to actually put their ideologies into action.  The twentieth century saw that repeatedly.

Love it, thoughtful not sure i totally agree with it, would make for a great in depth conversation.

6 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Didn't he cash out to Royal Dutch Shell for $4 BILLION.  Wrote a check to Ralph's estate for $1.5... That leaves $2.5 billion liquid... I don't they'll get crushed.

Now that is not how it works, trust me it isnt that simple.  I would be absolutely stunned if he has net of debt $2.5 billion "liquid".

• Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Love it, thoughtful not sure i totally agree with it, would make for a great in depth conversation.

Now that is not how it works, trust me it isnt that simple.  I would be absolutely stunned if he has net of debt $2.5 billion "liquid".

I thought he had a ton of cash... I may be wrong... Making him the richest (or one pf the richest) in the NHL.

Why Disco Don got priced out.  His is all on paper. Nice when you can pay cash. Don was shopping for Nissan Note with @Gugny... Terry and Kim a Maybach.  Even if it was a gently used Maybach (Bills).  LoL...

Again...  I may be wrong... But I thought it was $4.5 Billion.  Of course, bit more complicated than having it sit all in one bank or under your mattress.  LoL... 

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

I thought he had a ton of cash... I may be wrong... Making him the richest (or one pf the richest) in the NHL.

Why Disco Don got priced out.  His is all on paper. Nice when you can pay cash. Don was shopping for Nissan Note with @Gugny... Terry and Kim a Maybach.  Even if it was a gently used Maybach (Bills).  LoL...

Again...  I may be wrong... But I thought it was $4.5 Billion.  Of course, bit more complicated than having it sit all in one bank or under your mattress.  LoL... 

Please never bring me into PPP.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

I just got to wondering. How does one become fabulously wealthy by "horizontal drilling"? Does that mean one has to stick to the missionary position or commit to fracking around? 

...probably an EXCELLENT question for Slick Willy.......NOTE: must wear a blue dress..........

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

His assets are fungible but i doubt liquid.  First of all, he had a bunch or partnerships and mineral interests, whatever he sold for wasn't 100% net to him.  Second, i have little doubt there was substantial debt associated with it, make it tax and economically efficient.  Probably had trusts for his kids, some they cant touch for years, companies inside of partnerships inside LLCs.  A straight up cash sale would result in a $1 billion tax bill easy.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

...so when Pegs' tent folds, you can scoop up the holdings at auction, right??..............:D

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Didn't he cash out to Royal Dutch Shell for $4 BILLION.  Wrote a check to Ralph's estate for $1.5... That leaves $2.5 billion liquid... I don't they'll get crushed.

But if they do, perhaps they'll sell the Bills to a certain ex-President who will be looking for something to keep himself busy?