Bills sign Josh Norman

8 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

This is a fair take.
I do not care for his mouth

He  was a Pro bowler for real

Played under McD for 4 years
Succked for Washington ( man coverage is an excuse at best) why did they bring him on then ?

contract is #Beanesmart
as long as he i behind Wallace and perhaps KJ and play situational until he earns it.

not thrilled with Bills 1st move in FA

but thats okay

Washington brought him in because at the time he was considered the “best CB in the NFL”. Carolina realized he was great because of the McDermott scheme - which made many CBs really good - so they did not want to pay him the huge contract.  Washington needed another big signing. Washington doesn’t look at fit - they wanted the top CB and saw a way to get him.

Also understand this is not a FA move - this is before FA even begins - it is just a depth move for a guy they know.  Gives them more depth in case the Wallace surgery puts him behind or they lose other guys during FA.  This is not a big time day one FA signing.  

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

1) Never judge a CB by their INTs. Plenty of top tier CBs never had a high volume of INTs. Mainly because teams respect them enough to not throw their way.

2) Teams will target our CB2 because Tre will essentially force them to. We saw Levi Wallace get exposed at times this year, for that exact reason. Yes Norman isn't going to be our lockdown corner, but that doesnt mean he can be void of ability.

3) Norman is years removed from McDermott's time in Carolina. A 26/27 year old, in his prime Norman is not the same as 32 year old Norman coming off of some of the worst football of his career.

I appreciate what Beane and McDermott have done. They have earned our trust, but they haven't exactly hit on every FA, and the deal given to Norman, has absolutely zero guaranteed staying power. For all we know, dude could be cut before the season.

I would love nothing more than for Norman to work out, ball out, be a stud, and help sure up that position, but to act like hes anything more than a HOPEFUL reclamation project is fooling ones self.

Yes teams may target your CB2, but having Tre as a #1 means you can help by rolling coverage to ensure they do not get beat deep.

This allows your CB2 to play more instinctual and play more underneath routes.  This was the strength of Josh in Carolina.  

So yes they may try to target the #2 CB more, but for all the exposing teams did with Wallace - he was not bad in coverage, just a bit to small - which is why he was a UDFA. They got more size with KJ, but not much better play and that is what I expect from Norman.  He is bigger and more physical- helping in the outside run game and he will match up with bigger more physical WR2 - allowing Tre to handle the WR1.  

The idea that Norman could be cut is the whole point of this.  He was given a 1 year prove it contract with little to no guaranteed money.  This was done before FA even begins - much like the Long signing last year.  He is a depth body that if it works is great and if it doesn’t work - it cost you nothing at all - not even a shot at a comp pick.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Washington brought him in because at the time he was considered the “best CB in the NFL”. Carolina realized he was great because of the McDermott scheme - which made many CBs really good - so they did not want to pay him the huge contract.  Washington needed another big signing. Washington doesn’t look at fit - they wanted the top CB and saw a way to get him.

Also understand this is not a FA move - this is before FA even begins - it is just a depth move for a guy they know.  Gives them more depth in case the Wallace surgery puts him behind or they lose other guys during FA.  This is not a big time day one FA signing.  

Thanks.

Washington does Washington things : )

I really hope folks listen to Joe Marino's locked on podcast. Very very informative, especially in regards to the Norman signing with his most recent pod.

Does a good job of putting to bed the scheme narrative and how we see Levi Wallace struggle in this system, due to athletic limitations, Norman who is older, and vastly less athletic is not going to magically be good in the scheme, because he one good year in said scheme back in 2015.

17 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Yes teams may target your CB2, but having Tre as a #1 means you can help by rolling coverage to ensure they do not get beat deep.

This allows your CB2 to play more instinctual and play more underneath routes.  This was the strength of Josh in Carolina.  

So yes they may try to target the #2 CB more, but for all the exposing teams did with Wallace - he was not bad in coverage, just a bit to small - which is why he was a UDFA. They got more size with KJ, but not much better play and that is what I expect from Norman.  He is bigger and more physical- helping in the outside run game and he will match up with bigger more physical WR2 - allowing Tre to handle the WR1.  

The idea that Norman could be cut is the whole point of this.  He was given a 1 year prove it contract with little to no guaranteed money.  This was done before FA even begins - much like the Long signing last year.  He is a depth body that if it works is great and if it doesn’t work - it cost you nothing at all - not even a shot at a comp pick.

Literally in the post you quoted of mine I covered the exact point that Norman could have zero staying power and could be cut. 

Not a bad low risk signing based on his early career, but I do not see him as likely being an upgrade over Wallace or Johnson.   I see this as similar in caliber to the Boldin signing(minus the phony retirement) three years ago.  

The slight chance of having White paired with Norman playing how he used to is interesting.   The more likely scenario is that he gets beaten out in training camp and either cut or moved for a late round pick.

1 hour ago, BillsFan17 said:

I really hope folks listen to Joe Marino's locked on podcast. Very very informative, especially in regards to the Norman signing with his most recent pod.

Does a good job of putting to bed the scheme narrative and how we see Levi Wallace struggle in this system, due to athletic limitations, Norman who is older, and vastly less athletic is not going to magically be good in the scheme, because he one good year in said scheme back in 2015.

Literally in the post you quoted of mine I covered the exact point that Norman could have zero staying power and could be cut. 

so, a podcaster knows this, but the coach and GM do not?

50 minutes ago, Clemfield2622 said:

Yes, that's all Joe Marino is, a podcaster. That's his only credentials.

Did you even listen to the podcast and the breakdown before you shot it down? Or was making the comment with both basis easier?

9 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Yes, that's all Joe Marino is, a podcaster. That's his only credentials.

Did you even listen to the podcast and the breakdown before you shot it down? Or was making the comment with both basis easier?

No, I don't listen to his, or any other podcast. So tell me what teams he worked for to build his resume that should bowl me over?

Or is running your own guessing website and podcast supposed to wow me?

20 minutes ago, Clemfield2622 said:

No, I don't listen to his, or any other podcast. So tell me what teams he worked for to build his resume that should bowl me over?

Or is running your own guessing website and podcast supposed to wow me?

Yup, that was the goal, to wow you. Again, until you know Joe's credentials, you are punching above your weight class. Maybe sit this one out, unless you have something legit to bring to the table.

2 hours ago, Clemfield2622 said:

Marino does his homework and shares his rationale behind his opinions.  His reasons are transparent and not just cliche.  Athletic metrics, on field grading and scores against all paint a less than optimistic picture for Norman.

EVERY player has the potential to over, or under perform.  If evaluations were guaranteed, the draft would be easy to predict and there would be no busts.  Saying McBean and McDermott cannot be wrong is way too optimistic.

Marino may be wrong.  We all hope he is, but recent performance and recents stats on Norman, do not favor this.

8 minutes ago, familykwi said:

What are the financial ramifications if he's cut?  I would doubt the $6mil is guaranteed.  How much is?

We don’t know yet. He hasn’t officially signed as of now and agent hasn’t spilled so numbers aren’t out there

Edited by YoloinOhio

11 minutes ago, familykwi said:

Marino does his homework and shares his rationale behind his opinions.  His reasons are transparent and not just cliche.  Athletic metrics, on field grading and scores against all paint a less than optimistic picture for Norman.

EVERY player has the potential to over, or under perform.  If evaluations were guaranteed, the draft would be easy to predict and there would be no busts.  Saying McBean and McDermott cannot be wrong is way too optimistic.

Marino may be wrong.  We all hope he is, but recent performance and recents stats on Norman, do not favor this.

Yup, Joe always comes prepared to support his opinions. Also, he works for the Draft Network so he lives and breathes football evaluation. 

6 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I don't disagree, but give the players some credit.  They still have to play well in the system and maximize opportunities for success on the field.  That's not guaranteed to happen scheme or no scheme.

Edited by purple haze

2 hours ago, familykwi said:

What are the financial ramifications if he's cut?  I would doubt the $6mil is guaranteed.  How much is?

No guaranteed money (as supposedly said by Murph and Tasker on their show).      Very easy to walk away from...

Edited by Lurker