Trip to Florida...

LabattBlue

Cancelling any trip plans  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Would you go or cancel?

• Take the trip
    • Cancel the trip

On 3/5/2020 at 9:15 PM, Augie said:

It was odd, but I went into Garibaldi’s and sat at the bar having a drink while looking at the menu. One of the guys on my right has this amazing veal chop, more than he can eat. Asks for an extra plate and cuts off a meal for me. I’m full, they leave....then the two ladies on my left get their meals. The lady closest to me asks for a plate, and gives me one of the two best flounder dishes I’ve ever had. 

Just how thin, disheveled, and waifish did you look?!  ?

12 hours ago, Augie said:

My wife had to cancel a VERY big thing in NYC last week with people from all over the country. The contract locks them in, and they have to pay but will be allowed to reschedule, hopefully in May. 

The future DIL works in group sales at one of the BIG hotels downtown. She does large events and just had a $500k contract back out. I’m sure she took a hit on her comp. but it is what it is at this point. Hopefully this works out sooner than later. 

In the meantime, if I get a good trip or two in cheap, I’m a happy camper. 

Dude, my wife has been negotiating a MASSIVE contract for the last six months, truly the document was bing walked in for CEO signature last Tuesday. Freaking lawyers for them stopped it to add addendums concerning impacts on Corona. Will likely be another 2 months arguing about this addendum. 

and until it signed, it ain’t signed. This whole thing sucks. 

• Like (+1) 1

We cancelled a trip to Italy for Mid April, still trying to get the airlines straightened out, we have a certain drop dead date to re-book of mid March, with travel by November (when we made the original reservation) otherwise we need to pay a rebooking fee of $150 per seat. Hotels were ok with cancellations, yet for some reason the trip to the Vatican is not refunding money right now. Our other side trips have been reasonable with refunds. We hope the Bills schedule gives us the SF game early in the season so we can use the flights for that trip.

I am at about 99% for canceling my (and my son's) trip to Puerto Rico.

Flying out of/into JFK - and being on a plane with those passengers - concerns me.

I am not concerned for my health, or my son's.  I'm 49.  My son is just shy of 17.  We're not vulnerable.

But my parents are 80 and 75.  Not to mention all the other people in our country who are most vulnerable.  

Unknowingly spreading this virus is weighing heavily.  

22 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I am at about 99% for canceling my (and my son's) trip to Puerto Rico.

Flying out of/into JFK - and being on a plane with those passengers - concerns me.

I am not concerned for my health, or my son's.  I'm 49.  My son is just shy of 17.  We're not vulnerable.

But my parents are 80 and 75.  Not to mention all the other people in our country who are most vulnerable.  

Unknowingly spreading this virus is weighing heavily.  

Your parents are in PR? I don’t try to tell anyone what to do, but my mother lives 9 miles from me and I’ve told her we will skip lunch and shopping for a while. I’m becoming more conservative on this as a precaution. Not worried about myself as much as her and all the people she lives around. Mortality rate at my age is only 1.8% to 3.6%, but at her age it’s 22%+. Not worth it for lunch and shopping. Stay home, I’ll drop off groceries. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/5/2020 at 8:05 PM, RaoulDuke79 said:

Man.....the whole family is going to Universal in June. I hope everyone cancels and we have the park to ourselves. Proceed with vigor. That's what I say.

We have a Disney trip planned the last week of April right around the time some of these projections have all of the available hospital beds filled up with Covid-19 patients...the bigger issue for my family is that my in-laws who aren’t in the greatest health and are 60+ are going too, and that’s what I’m most worried about at this point. I agree with your take re crowd sizes tho!

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/6/2020 at 12:12 AM, Special K said:

I live down here in the Orlando area, and as of now its business as usual around here....your chances of catching Coronavirus here are probably the same low chance as you have of catching it in Buffalo or anywhere else, as long as you follow the safety protocols we've all heard about.

This weekend we have bike week in Daytona Beach, a woman's soccer tourney in Orlando, and the Arnold Palmer Invitational at Bay Hill.

The local news has covered all of the safety measures the theme parks, hotels, malls, and the airport have taken to keep people safe.

I will say that several conventions have been cancelled over the last few days, but reports are that family travel to the area has not declined so far.

Honestly, I would be most concerned about the plane ride part, but I always worry about getting sick on a plane, anyway.

There are still no positive cases in the Orlando area, but in light of recent events, I think travelling is a more risky proposition now than it was a week ago.

The wife had some folks who wanted to attend a big conference in Jamaica coming up soon. Business development type stuff, or beach and pool bar stuff....not sure. They swore business development.  A few folks from all over the country. She said no, but feel free to plead your case up the ladder. Shockingly, they did. Boy did THAT get shut down, but in such a beautiful way! “YOU are more important to us than any business that could result from that trip.” It was crafted in such a way, it made me jealous I had not written it. 

What seems crazy is that the whole event hasn’t been cancelled already. I get that matrimonial attorneys need fun too, but now might not be the best time. This will rock profits for a while, but hopefully it passes quickly so this thing doesn’t start spiraling down. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Augie said:

Your parents are in PR? I don’t try to tell anyone what to do, but my mother lives 9 miles from me and I’ve told her we will skip lunch and shopping for a while. I’m becoming more conservative on this as a precaution. Not worried about myself as much as her and all the people she lives around. Mortality rate at my age is only 1.8% to 3.6%, but at her age it’s 22%+. Not worth it for lunch and shopping. Stay home, I’ll drop off groceries. 

No.  My parents live in the same town I do - 5 miles from me.  I worded it poorly in my post.  Unknowingly contracting the virus (asymptomatic) and passing it along to those who are vulnerable is my fear.

• Like (+1) 1

All Orlando area theme parks closing until the end of the month....employees will continue to be paid during that time.

There have been a few positive cases in the Central Florida area all related to people who were on a Nile River cruise(11 of Florida’s positive cases are related to that cruise).

1 hour ago, Special K said:

All Orlando area theme parks closing until the end of the month....employees will continue to be paid during that time.

There have been a few positive cases in the Central Florida area all related to people who were on a Nile River cruise(11 of Florida’s positive cases are related to that cruise).

So Disneyworld now closed?  I had heard Disneyland in Cali was closing.

On 3/7/2020 at 12:58 PM, Gugny said:

I have a trip to Puerto Rico scheduled for a month from now.  I hope this ***** blows over by then.

There's gonna be a direct causal relation between how much people are willing to cancel now, and whether or not it blows over by then.

On 3/7/2020 at 5:40 PM, Buffalo_Gal said:

In the last 30 days I’ve been on four continents, visiting seven different countries. Go on your trips! Stay out of China, wash your hands, and enjoy life. You are more likely to die in a driving accident, a fall, or from the flu than corona virus. 

Where’s the hair on fire gif?

For updated daily  news, check out this long thread.

Go to that thread if you will, just don't bug the mods if you don't like whatcha find.  It's pretty much the TBD channeling of the Cole Porter song Anything Goes

There's a thread of mixed humor and factual information in OTW. 

There are a handful of scientists and a mod or two on patrol to keep it more-or-less real.

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Go to that thread if you will, just don't bug the mods if you don't like whatcha find.  It's pretty much the TBD channeling of the Cole Porter song Anything Goes

There's a thread of mixed humor and factual information in OTW. 

There are a handful of scientists and a mod or two on patrol to keep it more-or-less real.

To be fair, I think that goes to show how much things can change in just a week (or in her case 4-5 weeks). Hell, the Big East changed their mind at half time of the early game today!  Crazy!  It also goes to prove your point that it can be fast and deadly. That’s why I’ll lean toward caution and see how things go at this point. 

I have one buddy who took a Caribbean cruise when it was all starting. He hedged, but went and all was fine. Another buddy was heading for Malaysia via Hong Kong. He’s a grown man and made his own choice. I hope he’s fine as well. 

Watching Jimmy Fallon with no audience is definitely weird!  This changes how you look at the world. 

Edited by Augie