LabattBlue

Cancelling any trip plans  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Would you go or cancel?

• Take the trip
    • Cancel the trip

18 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So..........

My company just announced they are suspending all air travel.

We are now encouraged not to shake hands.  I work in HR and we bring on vendors and people interviewing....I've just been told not shake their hands.

Conference cancellations are going to hurt. ADP just cancelled their annual user conference "Meeting of the Minds", and some 42K attendee conference in Orlando has been cancelled.

I, OTOH, am looking at cheap airfare and hotel options for some trips this spring!

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So..........

We are now encouraged not to shake hands.  I work in HR and we bring on vendors and people interviewing....I've just been told not shake their hands.

Chest bumps.

14 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Have a trip planned to Florida.  Fly out of Buffalo on Saturday.  Wife nervous about Corona virus.  Not sure if we should go and have a great time, or cancel?

What would you do?

Just pack some TP in case the hotel hath been pillaged.

Are you in a reduced / compromised heath condition?  If yes, then I might reconsider.  If not, go.  Take some bathroom wipes and wipe down the arm rests, seat back, the space before you sit down.  I did this when I went to / back from China last spring - no post travel crud.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Have a trip planned to Florida.  Fly out of Buffalo on Saturday.  Wife nervous about Corona virus.  Not sure if we should go and have a great time, or cancel?

What would you do?

Wrap that rascal. 

Wait, what? 

14 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

I have a trip with a domestic flight planned for April and we haven't considered cancelling....yet.

I know someone at work who cancelled her Italy trip. I thought that was the smart choice, but I don't think it cost her anything to cancel.

I also have a friend who has a Caribbean cruise that (as of now) he still plans on taking. There's no way I'd get on a cruise ship right now.

As for you and your wife - assuming you're both in good health - take the trip and have a great time!

Quick question...why no cruise ships? The potential for quarantine or germs in general?  

11 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Quick question...why no cruise ships? The potential for quarantine or germs in general?  

Would be both for me. Quarantined for 14 days in one of those tiny butt rooms? No thanks, not worth it no matter how cheap the cruise

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Wrap that rascal. 

Wait, what? 

Both actually. At least with Labatts trip to Florida and my trip, the big concern to me is the time spent on the plane. On a cruise, most of your time on vacation is on the ship and there are a lot more people who might be carrying. I'd be concerned the whole time I was on the trip - and god forbid the ship ended up getting quarantined. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/5/2020 at 8:53 PM, SinceThe70s said:

I also have a friend who has a Caribbean cruise that (as of now) he still plans on taking. There's no way I'd get on a cruise ship right now.

I've got a cruise in the first week in April, also the Caribbean, still planning on going. I figure by then they'll have a handle on precautions and routines, and a lot of people may decide to cancel/reschedule since the cruise line is offering no penalty's now for late cancellation. 

On 3/6/2020 at 10:33 AM, Mike in Horseheads said:

Just pack some TP in case the hotel hath been pillaged.

I've packed an extra roll of TP in my suitcase for years, for those late night ass explosions where the cleaning staff hasn't refilled the roll the day before and it's almost out. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 3/6/2020 at 9:34 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

So..........

Learn to bow and bow lower than customers.

Maybe this is why the Chinese used to bow, cut down communicable diseases, and  now they stopped lots of things be released out of China.

I saw one article from Chinese reporter (state tool) stating US is cause of virus.

In the last 30 days I’ve been on four continents, visiting seven different countries. Go on your trips! Stay out of China, wash your hands, and enjoy life. You are more likely to die in a driving accident, a fall, or from the flu than corona virus. 

Where’s the hair on fire gif?

For updated daily  news, check out this long thread.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Learn to bow and bow lower than customers.

Maybe this is why the Chinese used to bow, cut down communicable diseases, and  now they stopped lots of things be released out of China.

I saw one article from Chinese reporter (state tool) stating US is cause of virus.

Bowing sounds too hard.

On 3/5/2020 at 7:49 PM, LabattBlue said:

What would you do?

If I never go to Florida again, I'm cool. Your mileage may vary.

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Bowing sounds too hard.

You're lazy. You need to be more like my friend.

Image result for david lee roth kicking picture

On 3/6/2020 at 9:56 AM, plenzmd1 said:

Conference cancellations are going to hurt. ADP just cancelled their annual user conference "Meeting of the Minds", and some 42K attendee conference in Orlando has been cancelled.

I, OTOH, am looking at cheap airfare and hotel options for some trips this spring!

My wife had to cancel a VERY big thing in NYC last week with people from all over the country. The contract locks them in, and they have to pay but will be allowed to reschedule, hopefully in May. 

The future DIL works in group sales at one of the BIG hotels downtown. She does large events and just had a $500k contract back out. I’m sure she took a hit on her comp. but it is what it is at this point. Hopefully this works out sooner than later. 

In the meantime, if I get a good trip or two in cheap, I’m a happy camper. 

EDIT: Omni, to their credit, has said they will pay employees for the deals they brought in that got put on hold. It turns out the future DIL lost mire than one in the $500k range, but they will do right by her. That makes you feel better about the place where you work. 

Edited by Augie

5 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I have actually been looking at a possible Caribbean cruise now around April. With all the hysteria, I am trying to see if the prices tank. 

My buddy just returned from one and everything was fine. His biggest concern was “if we get quarantined, will the unlimited drinks package continue?”  :)  ?

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

My buddy just returned from one and everything was fine. His biggest concern was “if we get quarantined, will the unlimited drinks package continue?”  :)  ?

haha. There are worse places to be stuck. 

Since I am mostly afraid of throwing-up illnesses, I will say that I am more afraid of getting Norovirus than coronovirus. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

This was probably posted elsewhere, but did you see the Aussie couple who got wine delivered by drone when they were quarantined on a cruise ship in Japan:

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/coronavirus-quarantined-couple-diamond-princess-cruise-ship

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1