Increase in wiping down of gym equipment

Steve O

Anyone else notice a lot more people are wiping down the equipment prior to use? I've always wiped down equipment both before and after use, especially for cardio equipment. Up until the past couple weeks most of what I've seen has been people going through the motions when they were finished. Now I see a lot of people wiping things down before use (once again, especially cardio equipment.) Guess it took the corona virus to convince a lot of people that cleanliness is a good idea! One change I've made, since I'm not sure that the liquid actually kills the virus, if there is a purell dispenser available I'll use that instead of the liquid.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Steve O said:

Anyone else notice a lot more people are wiping down the equipment prior to use? I've always wiped down equipment both before and after use, especially for cardio equipment. Up until the past couple weeks most of what I've seen has been people going through the motions when they were finished. Now I see a lot of people wiping things down before use (once again, especially cardio equipment.) Guess it took the corona virus to convince a lot of people that cleanliness is a good idea! One change I've made, since I'm not sure that the liquid actually kills the virus, if there is a purell dispenser available I'll use that instead of the liquid.

I belong to a CKO kickboxing studio.  I just got an e-mail from them pretty much re-iterating what the people in your gym were doing.  And they're taking every means necessary to stop germs from spreading...

17 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

It's contagious even before they ever show symptoms.

every illness is contagious before it explodes

including all flus and pneumonias, which kill 120,000 total each year, to little panic or attention  :(

• Thank you (+1) 1

I’ve joined and quit at least 4 gyms since moving to Atlanta 10 years ago. I’d rather live somewhere with nice weather where I can do my thing outside, whether it’s tennis, biking, walking or running. Sadly, I’m here. 

I saw a drink coaster recently that said:   “I missed going to the gym today. That makes three years in a row.” 

That fits me!  :)  ?

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Another Fan said:

I belong to a CKO kickboxing studio.  I just got an e-mail from them pretty much re-iterating what the people in your gym were doing.  And they're taking every means necessary to stop germs from spreading...

Sorry... Just had to post it:

• Haha (+1) 3

17 hours ago, row_33 said:

every illness is contagious before it explodes

including all flus and pneumonias, which kill 120,000 total each year, to little panic or attention  :(

Makes me wonder why you said what you said then...

Here comes the flu thing again.

23 hours ago, Steve O said:

I was actually thinking the same thing today. I’m a gym wiper but mostly because I’m a bit of a germaphobe. I feel like younger people are better about it but that may just be my perception. I’m 38 and feel like I kind of fall in the middle-aged club. I went at 10 AM today which is prime older crowd and they were wiping things down. I was impressed.

You don't want your place of business to be identified as the "ground zero" of *any* outbreak.  You don't make any money if your gym used to be in the building that's since been demolished by FEMA.  

I kid, but that's something the Chinese would likely do.

1 minute ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

one of many reasons why I don't go to the gym.

the equipment should be wiped down every time a person leaves the station.  

this isn’t part of workout culture?

1 minute ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

one of many reasons why I don't go to the gym.

the equipment should be wiped down every time a person leaves the station.  

The good people do it themselves, and my PF has people constantly walking around with towels and that spray, cleaning everything. They mop the floor like every 15 minutes it seems like........

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

this isn’t part of workout culture?

You'd be disgusted on how many people don't......

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

The good people do it themselves, and my PF has people constantly walking around with towels and that spray, cleaning everything. They mop the floor like every 15 minutes it seems like........

You'd be disgusted on how many people don't......

I enjoy Russilo podcasts that go over the horrible types you meet at a workout

47 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I enjoy Russilo podcasts that go over the horrible types you meet at a workout

Gym Corner!!!!!

I think of Ryen every single time I see d-bags leaving weights on the leg press, or sitting on machines staring at their phones for 10 minutes. 

• Haha (+1) 1