Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

Just now, Limeaid said:

Embassy and UN personnel have a reputation of flagrantly ignoring laws with countries refusing to pay fines or damages.

I understand - several of my best friends work in DC/Baltimore area.  

But the point stands - Literally 100's of thousands of businesspeople and personal travelers coming in and out of NYC every day (something like 40,000/day in and out of JFK alone).  Each flier had the potential to interact with 3-4 local employees or airline employees in addition to fellow travelers in the terminals bathrooms and on the plane.  Then there is bus, train, and auto traffic.  What would be the logic to think that embassy and UN personnel (however law-floutingly they behave) represent more than a tiny fraction of the opportunities for infection?

RIP to guy who sing Stacy's mom.  Good song. 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/fountains-of-waynes-adam-schlesinger-dead-obituary-coronavirus-975786/

Adam Schlesinger, co-founder of the New Jersey power-pop group Fountains of Wayne and Emmy- and Grammy-winning songwriter for film, television, and theater, died Wednesday from complications related to COVID-19. He was 52.

Schelsinger’s lawyer, Josh Grier, confirmed the musician’s death. Schlesinger was hospitalized in March and tested positive for the coronavirus. At the time, he was placed on a ventilator, which left him heavily sedated.

I went shopping for my mom today and delivered it to her. Apparently, all it took to get Atlanta traffic to a reasonable level was a global pandemic! 

That's my best shot at a silver lining......    ?‍♂️

California governor urges state leaders to issue stay-at-home orders: 'What are you waiting for?'

"Our message is this: 'What are you waiting for?' " Newsom told Tapper when asked about governors who haven't followed suit. "What more evidence do you need? If you think it's not going to happen to you, there are many proof points all across this country; for that matter, around the rest of the world."

That message was echoed later Wednesday by Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, another Democrat, who assessed that the US "should have a national strategy instead of a patchwork of policies" at the state level. "That's why I think it's important that we governors are leading and showing the way and being aggressive. I'm grateful that I have great, you know, colleagues here in the Midwest in particular. We've been pretty aggressive as a geography and I think that's important," Whitmer told CNN''s Anderson Cooper on "AC360."
"But without a national strategy, without a uniform policy, this is going to go on longer than it needs to and more lives are going to be lost, more than we otherwise would," she added.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

Marvelous.  But Crawford County, MO Sheriff's Department ain't playin'

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/police-missouri-man-coughed-on-customers-scrawled-covid-on-cooler-door/article_f92ccb96-2725-5d3d-b389-bde7540f5f5a.html

Police have arrested a man who authorities say coughed on customers and wrote "COVID" on a cooler door in the town of Cuba, Missouri.

John Swaller, 33, was charged Tuesday with second-degree making a terrorist threat in Crawford County. Police said he left the store Tuesday before officers arrived but was taken into custody later.

(...)
Making a terrorist threat in the second degree is a felony in Missouri. Statutes say someone commits the crime when he or she "recklessly disregards the risk of causing the evacuation, quarantine or closure of any portion of a building" and "causes a false belief or fear that an incident has occurred or that a condition exists involving danger to life."
(...)

This wasn't the first odd Missouri crime to surface in recent days connected to COVID-19. Last week, police in Warren County arrested a man who posted a video of himself licking a row of merchandise at a Walmart and asking, "Who's scared of coronavirus?"  Prosecutors in Warren County have charged Cody Lee Pfister, 26, of Warrenton, with making a terrorist threat in the second degree.

The world update today. Adding this summary that shows what happened through yesterday. 

image.thumb.png.7763410a92b8906c5e2d656bd5977c71.png

Italy still relatively level. All driven by Lombardy (Italy's NYC-like region that includes their Italy's most metropolitan city Milan). 

image.thumb.png.85b29081ed6546038878d7fec3bd11f5.png

image.thumb.png.26960acbaa63b7ee617f39004ef6c5cb.png

US had an increase in cases (still a bad measure but indicative of something) and a spike in deaths (an accurate measure) to over 1000/day...doubling in just 2 days. Note: I am at some kind of limit on size of pastes so I'll have to paste more later. I continue to watch the US fatality rates outside of NYC, and while maybe NYC is ahead of the curve in time for other cities, we have only one city that operates like it with people in such proximity in all aspects of life.

It is too early to say if other big cities are lagging in time and will spike or if they are just different but PA was an early outbreak center and its deaths per day has been steady around 12 for 5 days running compared to NYC at 400 yesterday (Pa shut down a week before NY). 

NYC: 1374 (a few hundred more in nearest burbs)

Philadelphia: 74 (Tens more in nearest burbs)

Seattle: 166 (first major outbreak)

SF: 7

LA: 65

Miami: 11

Chicago: 95 (Tens more in nearest burbs)

Boston: 13

image.thumb.png.4063693e5dac3c19ab95b47a6d75f833.png

Spain continues to increase as well but still looking like some kind of leveling in the last few days. UK leapt up, and Germany a bit of a marked increase yesterday as well, though totals in Germany are still low. US is the place with the big spike in recent days. 

Edited by Sundancer

my gf who is a nurse is thinking about heading to nyc for a travel assignment as her hospital is slow cause of no elective surgeries. if you think it's overblown the assignment is described as this/

10k per week. free housing food, flights to and from the city from wherever.  

15-1 patient ration which is insane as normal is 6 and lower if you have sicker patients. 

no days off on assignment you work 3 weeks straight then 2 days off all 12 hour days. 

it's warzone triage where you tag everyone on whether or not they are treatable.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

my gf who is a nurse is thinking about heading to nyc for a travel assignment as her hospital is slow cause of no elective surgeries. if you think it's overblown the assignment is described as this/

10k per week. free housing food, flights to and from the city from wherever.  

15-1 patient ration which is insane as normal is 6 and lower if you have sicker patients. 

no days off on assignment you work 3 weeks straight then 2 days off all 12 hour days. 

it's warzone triage where you tag everyone on whether or not they are treatable.  

Good luck to her. She is amazing. My brother, his gf, and a cousin are doing nursing on dedicated Covid-19 floors.  

1 hour ago, Sundancer said:

Good luck to her. She is amazing. My brother, his gf, and a cousin are doing nursing on dedicated Covid-19 floors.  

Rare courage indeed. Our best to all of them. 

Received a phone call yesterday from my family in Buffalo. My uncle passed away from the virus, he was 87. My cousin couldn’t contact him so he went over to my uncle’s house. He found him unconscious on Saturday, and he passed away Wednesday. They couldn’t see him to say goodbye. Can’t have any service, and he’s being cremated. My cousin and his wife are now in 14 day quarantine. Out of 10 siblings, my 89 year old mother is the last one left.

• Sad 8