Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

Changing this update up a little. 

Here is yesterday's data for the top countries by cases

image.thumb.png.92604b9eda0d6a26f45bc3c681e5ee73.png

compared with the day before

image.thumb.png.415d75b2dc3de0b0f38db9e15958492a.png

Most countries relatively level in deaths day over day...Spain about 3-4 days in a row, Italy now going on 12 days level, and US only 3 so no trend here yet but 3 is better than 0. 

The big jump in France is due to a whole bunch of deaths being reclassified as COVID-19 related so that's not a true one day increase. Take China and Iran with the silo of road salt you see at the Cheektowaga Thruway exit. 

USA daily deaths over time. 

image.thumb.png.63546eb913e2d9e10a4bad7093489ea7.png

Pulling NYC out of this data from here, it may be leveling in deaths and hospitalizations...I will paste the charts once someone else replies in this thread and my image pasting ability is reset. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

Changing this update up a little. 

Here is yesterday's data for the top countries by cases

image.thumb.png.92604b9eda0d6a26f45bc3c681e5ee73.png

compared with the day before

image.thumb.png.415d75b2dc3de0b0f38db9e15958492a.png

Most countries relatively level in deaths day over day...Spain about 3-4 days in a row, Italy now going on 12 days level, and US only 3 so no trend here yet but 3 is better than 0. 

The big jump in France is due to a whole bunch of deaths being reclassified as COVID-19 related so that's not a true one day increase. Take China and Iran with the silo of road salt you see at the Cheektowaga Thruway exit. 

USA daily deaths over time. 

image.thumb.png.63546eb913e2d9e10a4bad7093489ea7.png

Pulling NYC out of this data from here, it may be leveling in deaths and hospitalizations...I will paste the charts once someone else replies in this thread and my image pasting ability is reset. 

It does seem like the distancing is working for the most part, although we are going to see some bad times pop up in other US locales.  The hardest hit areas of Europe seem to be leveling off.  

Then it is a matter of 'whats next' once April is over, and hopefully a level of control in the hospitals across the US.  Im hoping there are a lot of smart people coming up with a master plan behind the scenes.

10 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

It does seem like the distancing is working for the most part, although we are going to see some bad times pop up in other US locales.  The hardest hit areas of Europe seem to be leveling off.  

Some are rising like UK, where they were very late to the distancing party. The thing to watch for is when the decline comes. Because of our geography and also the staggered timing of quarantines, I think different regions of the US will hit peaks at different times. Not exactly the most insightful conclusion! 

Italy should see declines first. That's the place to watch the most. 

Then it is a matter of 'whats next' once April is over, and hopefully a level of control in the hospitals across the US.  Im hoping there are a lot of smart people coming up with a master plan behind the scenes.

I share this concern but I also know that Fauci and other smart people are telling Trump what needs to happen (massive testing and tracing). Trump has been shrewd in spooling out a mixture of hope, pessimism, and plans bit by bit so we don't freak anyone out or understate things. He's playing by the virus's rules as Fauci put it a few days ago. I have reserved opinions about Trump but overall his actions post late Feb are following the right course for the most part. I question the lack of federal response, for example, but nothing since March has yet to really bite us in the ass too much. 

The plan for coming out of this--which is still a ways off--is coming. I don't think there's any chance the administration risks multiple waves if it can help it. 

Edited by Sundancer

1 hour ago, Sundancer said:

Some are rising like UK, where they were very late to the distancing party. The thing to watch for is when the decline comes. Because of our geography and also the staggered timing of quarantines, I think different regions of the US will hit peaks at different times. Not exactly the most insightful conclusion! 

Italy should see declines first. That's the place to watch the most. 

I share this concern but I also know that Fauci and other smart people are telling Trump what needs to happen (massive testing and tracing). Trump has been shrewd in spooling out a mixture of hope, pessimism, and plans bit by bit so we don't freak anyone out or understate things. He's playing by the virus's rules as Fauci put it a few days ago. I have reserved opinions about Trump but overall his actions post late Feb are following the right course for the most part. I question the lack of federal response, for example, but nothing since March has yet to really bite us in the ass too much. 

The plan for coming out of this--which is still a ways off--is coming. I don't think there's any chance the administration risks multiple waves if it can help it. 

Yeah, Every evening around 6PM I religiously check out the Italy numbers.  As you know, they have leveled off and have even retracted with new cases.  From what I was told, we (I guess specifically meaning NYC and probably Washington State) are about 2 weeks behind Italy.  I realize that everything cannot fit in a neat box like that, but if NYC can start to see receding new cases around the middle parts of April, that would be a great thing, and also provide some hope and procedural data to other cities and regions that get hit later.  Then, later, in a perfect world, maybe NYC can share medical equipment and personnel.  

I think I saw that NY is slowing down as far as new case % growth by day.... but those numbers should be taken with a grain of salt because they are so guided by testing.  

NY State just jumped up again with today's data from Cuomo. 50% increase over the data posted just this morning (400 to 600 deaths in one day). That's why 1-3 day trends are not trends. Need 7-10 days before it looks like a pattern. 

The high death totals can be avoided in other Cities in my humble opinion by simply wearing a mask in publc and obeying the stay at home order. Protect the air you breath.

On a side note finding out how Covid19 airborne particulates react to steam, water vapor and other environmental changes would be beneficial If for instance steam weighs down the particles enough to cleanse the air we breath. Almost all of our indoor essential business workers are doing so with zero protection. We need to provide them with a safe work place.

Wear eye protection...

Edited by Figster

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

Yeah, Every evening around 6PM I religiously check out the Italy numbers.  As you know, they have leveled off and have even retracted with new cases.  From what I was told, we (I guess specifically meaning NYC and probably Washington State) are about 2 weeks behind Italy.  I realize that everything cannot fit in a neat box like that, but if NYC can start to see receding new cases around the middle parts of April, that would be a great thing, and also provide some hope and procedural data to other cities and regions that get hit later.  Then, later, in a perfect world, maybe NYC can share medical equipment and personnel.  

I think I saw that NY is slowing down as far as new case % growth by day.... but those numbers should be taken with a grain of salt because they are so guided by testing.  

Case counting is useful for prevention but it’s a bad stat as a measure of progress given how incomplete it is. Deaths and hospitalizations are better measures. They lag behind cases in time but they are more objective. 

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Why eye protection?  Everything I have read is this virus is transmitted thru lungs. Not other orifices like eyes and ears.

Not enough is known yet about Covid 19 to rely to much on what you may or may not read in my humble opinion Limeaid. Myself personally, someone coughing or sneezing in close proximity makes one's eyes an orifice you may want to protect IMO. Ears, perhaps not so much. 

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/coronavirus-ophthalmologist-shares-5-things-you-need-to-know-210009523.html

Why take the chance? 

Edited by Figster

Sorry, but I have to vent. Somebody needs to tell Rear Adm. Polowczyk, the Vice Director of Logistics for the Joint Chiefs, that the idea of the WPA is to INDEED to disrupt supply chains in order to get vital equipment into the hands of those that need it. Directly. There is no need for vital equipment to go to the private sector first as he said was happening yesterday. Contrary to certain opinion, the Federal government, read US Military, is INDEED a supply and shipping clerk; the very best in the world. INDEED, our logistical superiority helped win WWII for crissakes. 

And Jarod needs to understand that the states are INDEED entitled to OUR federal stockpiles. 

Brace yourself NYC, because when you run out of ventilators in a week, the death numbers are gonna spike big time. 

End rant.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Question for @Hapless Bills Fan...bout 3 weeks ago before the poop really hit the fan, doctor friend of ours came to dinner and as a joke back then brought by a couple of masks..n95 masks.

couple of questions

1) I assume they are of no use to medical personel as they have been worn already...albeit just as a joke and only for a few minutes.

2) Should i wear them out when i goto the grocery?

3) Can i wear it more than once?

4) Can it be cleaned or sterilized in some manor?

Thanks is=n advance for the info