Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

27 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

image.png.606c57ee8eee675247eae1c4a20cb26f.png

Seems like we're getting slightly worse compared to the crowd, including the UK where they have (until very recently) taken the stance of '***** social distancing'.  Considering we're also still way behind on testing, I assume this graph is only going to get much worse.   Also concerning that no western country has yet hit the 'flattening'.

btw, how is this not rampant in places with huge, poor, densely populated cities like India and Mexico?   Or are those people just getting it in droves and no one cares enough to track it?

We may be a bit behind, but who could expect kids to miss spring break. I mean, priorities, right?  

?

Fine, now go home and kill Granny. I hope your hangover is still there and your STD is burning like a bottle rocket. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wacka said:

Or LA?

The city that just announced "shelter in place" regulations to try to slow this thing, in the state that just joined them?
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/19/world/coronavirus-update-cases.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/16/us/california-covid-19.html

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

Seems like we're getting slightly worse compared to the crowd, including the UK where they have (until very recently) taken the stance of '***** social distancing'.  Considering we're also still way behind on testing, I assume this graph is only going to get much worse.   Also concerning that no western country has yet hit the 'flattening'.

btw, how is this not rampant in places with huge, poor, densely populated cities like India and Mexico?   Or are those people just getting it in droves and no one cares enough to track it?

Lack of testing I think is the answer in both India and Mexico.  I don't think it's  "cares enough" it's "lacks testing capacity".  Same with LA, sad to say.

The reason US seems to be on the up-tick is more testing recently, I believe. There is hope in looking at the S. Korea curve.  They were the steepest rise - because testing - and now seem to have contained and leveled off, and they ARE still open for business and moving around.

UK has not been social distancing until recently, but they have done three things that helped:
1) they have asked EVERYONE with fever to stay home 7 days

2) they are testing more than we are, and asking contacts of positive people to self-quarantine

3) the government has guaranteed that all workers asked to self-quarantine will be PAID

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Testing

I guarantee Africa is lousy w/ coronavirus what with massive Chinese investment and influence but healthcare isn’t up to testing so confirmed numbers are low

I gave this a thumbs up but I'd really like to give it a crying face.  So I will here. ?

2 hours ago, John in Jax said:

I had one deleted too, because I dared to (....)

You can always (politely) ask why a post has been deleted.  It some times takes me a bit, but whether or not I was the mod who done it, I will always look up the post and give my take.    But usually when people come on here and say "I was deleted because I dared to .....", well, it's my experience that's usually not the actual reason.

6 hours ago, Lurker said:

Lol!   Well, you're right about Redfield and the CDC (Thanks, Obama!)...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/03/19/cdc-top-us-public-health-agency-is-sidelined-during-coronavirus-pandemic/

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/mike-pences-office-abruptly-cancels-cdc-officials-interview-with-yahoo-finance-201712184.html

EDIT:    And after thinking about it some more, I think you're right about Fauci as well.    He upstaged Trump at the daily rally (Opps!  I mean press conference) last week and he hasn't been seen there since.    :doh:

My brother said that Fauci was at the Tuesday presser, which I didn’t see, but I’ve seen the last two and he hasn’t been at either.

I don’t understand the “Thanks, Obama” in reference to Redfield and the CDC. What am I missing with that reference? 

Edited by K-9

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The reason US seems to be on the up-tick is more testing recently, I believe. There is hope in looking at the S. Korea curve.  They were the steepest rise - because testing - and now seem to have contained and leveled off, and they ARE still open for business and moving around

Korea’s curve really underscores the value in testing a lot and testing quickly as that rapidly provided them the evidence needed to focus their containment resources and efforts on the hottest areas first. It’s a testament to their superior management of this crisis. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, K-9 said:

Korea’s curve really underscores the value in testing a lot and testing quickly as that rapidly provided them the evidence needed to focus their containment resources and efforts on the hottest areas first. It’s a testament to their superior management of this crisis. 

Yes. In 2-3 weeks of this hardcore quarantine, to save the economy, we need to have in place a bazillion testing locations and temp monitoring stations. Along with at least a nationwide app everyone is using all the time to track movement so when you test positive, all people in your proximity during the last x days get an alert to test and quarantine. SK used tracking teams to track case exposures but we are not ready for that in 2 weeks. Then we reopen the economy in reverse order of its closure, with gyms, restaurants, events, and travel last.  

This *is* saying yes to a surveillance state. But also some return to an Economy (in shambles for sure but maybe not ashes). 

I don’t see a way back to normalcy within a year or more otherwise. 

I have yet to see the government present a cohesive shutdown plan for the country or a plan for coming out of the shutdown. We require a national plan, not a regional patchwork of state and local approaches. And it needs to be clear and predictable so we all understand it.

I think we could as a country rally around that if it was clear. The Pence team I’m sure is having this discussion. But we need the plan right now. 

Edited by Sundancer
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

WTF? Even before this happened i am shocked this is still done in person...

Same. Every other part is done online. I've e-signed every doc so far. I'm even ACHing my closing payment. There should be no real need to show up in person, regardless of the pandemic.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Sundancer said:

Yes. In 2-3 weeks of this hardcore quarantine, to save the economy, we need to have in place a bazillion testing locations and temp monitoring stations. Along with at least a nationwide app everyone is using all the time to track movement so when you test positive, all people in your proximity during the last x days get an alert to test and quarantine. SK used tracking teams to track case exposures but we are not ready for that in 2 weeks. Then we reopen the economy in reverse order of its closure, with gyms, restaurants, events, and travel last.  

This *is* saying yes to a surveillance state. But also some return to an Economy (in shambles for sure but maybe not ashes). 

I don’t see a way back to normalcy within a year or more otherwise. 

I have yet to see the government present a cohesive shutdown plan for the country or a plan for coming out of the shutdown. We require a national plan, not a regional patchwork of state and local approaches. And it needs to be clear and predictable so we all understand it.

I think we could as a country rally around that if it was clear. The Pence team I’m sure is having this discussion. But we need the plan right now. 

I think a regional patchwork of state and local approaches will yield fascinating results when the dust settles.  For example, I believe the small cities across central NY (where I live) are following the isolation guidelines pretty well.  I would be willing to bet that other small cities in other parts of the country are not following the isolation guidelines very well. Will it be apparent in a few weeks that the curve has been flattened differently based on adherence to the guidelines?  It may result in a terrible human cost, but it may help for future pandemics.  

However, a big fear is the analogy to evacuations for hurricanes.  In many cases, hurricane evacuations turn out to be largely unnecessary.  After a few “false alarms” people start ignoring the evacuation recommendations.  Sooner or later the big one hits. Will people start to get complacent if they live in an area that gets through this pandemic with relatively few fatalities?

12 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I think a regional patchwork of state and local approaches will yield fascinating results when the dust settles.  For example, I believe the small cities across central NY (where I live) are following the isolation guidelines pretty well.  I would be willing to bet that other small cities in other parts of the country are not following the isolation guidelines very well. Will it be apparent in a few weeks that the curve has been flattened differently based on adherence to the guidelines?  It may result in a terrible human cost, but it may help for future pandemics.  

However, a big fear is the analogy to evacuations for hurricanes.  In many cases, hurricane evacuations turn out to be largely unnecessary.  After a few “false alarms” people start ignoring the evacuation recommendations.  Sooner or later the big one hits. Will people start to get complacent if they live in an area that gets through this pandemic with relatively few fatalities?

I can see what you’re saying. I am not advocating a national shutdown but a national response that does not rely on regional leadership making decisions like keeping the Florida beaches open for tourists to mingle and take home their new virus. In the end, the effectiveness of any quarantine comes down to the community and individual being dedicated to it. Regions that take the lead ahead of the national response in reaction to cases are fine of course. 

I hope we can have the discussion about an overreaction soon. That would be awesome. But I don’t know why the US would be spared what other countries are facing. You can see big city hospitals bracing for impact now and we are nowhere near a peak yet (Italy is overrun and also not yet peaked...we are behind them). 

Edited by Sundancer
  • Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

I can see what you’re saying. I am not advocating a national shutdown but a national response that does not rely on regional leadership making decisions like keeping the Florida beaches open for tourists to mingle and take home their new virus. In the end, the effectiveness of any quarantine comes down to the community and individual being dedicated to it. Regions that take the lead ahead of the national response in reaction to cases are fine of course. 

Went for a 45 min. walk on Jax beach yesterday afternoon. The beach was moderately crowded.....because there’s really nothing else to do.....and we were still EASILY able to stay 10 feet away from any other person. Saw plenty of families/groups of under 10 who were close to each other, and that’s totally their choice. It’s still a free country, last time I checked. LOL

Just now, John in Jax said:

Went for a 45 min. walk on Jax beach yesterday afternoon. The beach was moderately crowded.....because there’s really nothing else to do.....and we were still EASILY able to stay 10 feet away from any other person. Saw plenty of families/groups of under 10 who were close to each other, and that’s totally their choice. It’s still a free country, last time I checked. LOL

This is the dumbest argument being made for not distancing.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

The virus isn’t hitting your health care system yet. Trust me I’m jealous because I felt the same way a week ago. My neighbor is a doc and so is one of my best friends. My wife works in hospice. It’s barely registered here in terms of cases yet (in the tens in hospitals, only a few deaths so far) and it’s already taxing resources. I fervently hope our regional early partial shut down doesn’t hit them in the way they fear. 

I’d love nothing more than to be happy that you got your free walks in and this doesn’t turn into the Italian overrun of our healthcare system because people ignored all the warnings. 

Edited by Sundancer
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Anyone that still thinks the government cant tell them what to do is hilarious to me.

Its sad to see so many people don't think this will affect them. Why is it so hard to understand that you stay home except for work or groceries. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Its sad to see so many people don't think this will affect them. Why is it so hard to understand that you stay home except for work or groceries. 

so... you're saying i can carry on as usual?

• Haha (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

It's seriously good to see how much your perspective has changed in less than a week. I hope others can come around as well.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It's seriously good to see how much your perspective has changed in less than a week. I hope others can come around as well.

Once they started closing things it made me realize how bad this really is. It will get better quicker if people would just stay home. 

• Like (+1) 4

Michigan Army National Guard distributing coronavirus supplies

LANSING, MI The Michigan Army National Guard has been called up to distribute supplies to health departments across the state.

Supplies such as face shields, gowns, and gloves are being assembled by the Michigan Army National Guard then delivered to public health departments, per an announcement from Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, according to a news release. ...

• Like (+1) 1