plastic bag ban delayed until April 1

Steve O

More accurately, enforcement of the ban will be delayed until April 1. For those that use them to line small trash cans, pick up doggie droppings, etc. they will be available for a price after April 1, $2.89 for 100 or $28 for 1000 if memory serves.

Edited by Steve O
  • Thank you (+1) 2

It's stupid... Enviro do gooders doing more harm.  As usual, the road to hell is paved with good intentions:

It will hurt the environment even more:

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2019/04/09/711181385/are-plastic-bag-bans-garbage

My 84 year old MiL is fit to be tied... She never bought garbage bags in her life... Always reuses, repurposes... She throws out her garbage daily in one bag.  Most people will now by thicker bags, worse for the environment... All because a few slobs can't take care of their mess and do gooder enviros think they gotta be helicopter parents with the earth...

I save them too... I will just bring her a year's supply.

1 hour ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

OK, you can buy them but what's the penalty for actually using them?  Maybe they could be converted into face masks for all the germaphobes?

There is a person who uses them to make sleeping mats for the homeless... The ban is squeezing them out:

https://www.1millionwomen.com.au/blog/diy-crochet-plastic-bags-sleeping-mats-homeless/

Like everything w/Greens... It's a $$$$ grab that backfires and causes more damage.

• Like (+1) 4

My Golden poops up a friggin’ storm! The 4/10th mile walk around the block takes about 10 minutes and a couple poops. Her personal best is four poops, and that takes longer. I’ll use our grocery bags until they ban them, then go to the pet aisle and buy bags for the same privilege of picking up dog poop.  YAY me!  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Augie said:

My Golden poops up a friggin’ storm! The 4/10th mile walk around the block takes about 10 minutes and a couple poops. Her personal best is four poops, and that takes longer. I’ll use our grocery bags until they ban them, then go to the pet aisle and buy bags for the same privilege of picking up dog poop.  YAY me!  

And when you buy those bags... Do more harm because the plastic will be thicker that ends up in the environment. And of course, used only once.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

7 hours ago, Augie said:

That only works till you're too old to bend over.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Augie said:

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

And when you buy those bags... Do more harm because the plastic will be thicker that ends up in the environment. And of course, used only once.

There are special dog poop bags available. Some of them say they are flushable, but you have to have a pretty robust toilet if you want them to go down without clogging. Some of them are biodegradable so the poop won’t be encapsulated for eternity in the landfill. They aren’t very big, which is a problem with my daughter’s golden-doodle. The “environmentally friendly” bags don’t have a long shelf life. They start to fall apart if they sit around for a year or two.  That’s a rude experience. 

I've lived in Portland, Oregon for about 6 years now, and plastic grocery bags have been banned the whole time.

Somehow, life goes on.

Society doesn't crumble. Dog ***** doesn't go un-picked-up. It's fine. No one even talks about it. Everyone just adjusted and went on with their lives.

Amazing.

• Like (+1) 8

2 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

There are special dog poop bags available. Some of them say they are flushable, but you have to have a pretty robust toilet if you want them to go down without clogging. Some of them are biodegradable so the poop won’t be encapsulated for eternity in the landfill. They aren’t very big, which is a problem with my daughter’s golden-doodle. The “environmentally friendly” bags don’t have a long shelf life. They start to fall apart if they sit around for a year or two.  That’s a rude experience. 

Are they free and can you use then multiple times before they find their final resting place?

What's footprint to make, produce... Some cesspool in China?

4 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

This makes sense and I bet they take over the market, eventually. They won’t go bad around our house. Between our dog and our son’s we are picking up mountains of poop weekly! 

For the past decade, I've been a plastic grocery bag hoarder specifically for the purpose of picking up my dog's poop.  She's gone, now, but for 10 years, we used at least two bags/day.

I'm convinced that I was on a "watch list," at my local grocery store because they always insisted that they bag for me.  I would usually bag my own and use way more bags than I needed.

When I used the Walmart self-checkout, I would double bag every single bag.  Sometimes triple bag.  I've probably got 200+ of those *****.  We still use them to scoop out the cats' litter boxes.

I think the ban is silly, but I really don't care about it (especially since I no longer have a dog).  That NPR link that WikiEII posted above shows how silly it is.

I wonder if it would be okay for me to bring the plastic bags I've collected to the grocery store and ask them to use those.

39 minutes ago, Gugny said:

For the past decade, I've been a plastic grocery bag hoarder specifically for the purpose of picking up my dog's poop.  She's gone, now, but for 10 years, we used at least two bags/day.

I'm convinced that I was on a "watch list," at my local grocery store because they always insisted that they bag for me.  I would usually bag my own and use way more bags than I needed.

When I used the Walmart self-checkout, I would double bag every single bag.  Sometimes triple bag.  I've probably got 200+ of those *****.  We still use them to scoop out the cats' litter boxes.

I think the ban is silly, but I really don't care about it (especially since I no longer have a dog).  That NPR link that WikiEII posted above shows how silly it is.

I wonder if it would be okay for me to bring the plastic bags I've collected to the grocery store and ask them to use those.

What got you on the list was breaking up the bunch of bananas and putting each one in it’s own bag. You need to be more subtle than that! 

5 hours ago, Logic said:

I've lived in Portland, Oregon for about 6 years now, and plastic grocery bags have been banned the whole time.

Somehow, life goes on.

Society doesn't crumble. Dog ***** doesn't go un-picked-up. It's fine. No one even talks about it. Everyone just adjusted and went on with their lives.

Amazing.

I'm standing in line at a Walmart, among the aisles and aisle and aisles of plastic...plastic bottles plastic jugs plastic wrappers plastic water bottles plastic sleeves over plastic goods...all loaded into a shopping cart with plastic bumpers and plastic advertising sleeves... thinking that had this ban never be implemented, life would have gone on as well. 

Agreed, amazing. 

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd
  • Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, Logic said:

Somehow, life goes on.

Amazing.

Of course it doesn't crumble... But the data is in. More plastic waste for the environment.  Thanks Oregon for actually hurting the environment with NIMBYistic ways.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

26 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Of course it doesn't crumble... But the data is in. More plastic waste for the environment.  Thanks Oregon for actually hurting the environment with NIMBYistic ways.

Also, those weed-smokin hippies with their fancy non-plastic dog poop picker uppers represent a population nearly 7x larger than where I live in Albany, NY.  That makes 'em 7x more pollutey than we are, and I don't feel the need to have to establish a logistics operation to ferry my items to my largely-plastic vehicle in 3 item shifts, with one party left at the counter to safeguard that which is temporarily left behind.  Don't even get me started on the massive carbon footprint of having a sports franchise like the Portland Trail Blazers. Get rid of them, save the planet and give me my plastic bags back. 

We've stopped using plastic single-use bags down here for over a year and the sky hasn't fallen down.

If fact, I didn't hear a single person complaining about it. 

Another important aspect to consider, apart from the waste that these bags generate, is the problems that arise from manufacturing them.

Quickly looking online, I found this...

"Worldwide, a trillion single-use plastic bags are used each year, nearly 2 million each minute. The amount of energy required to make 12 plastic shopping bags could drive a car for a mile."  www.earth-policy.org

Edited by Bad Things
  • Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

We've stopped using plastic single-use bags down here for over a year and the sky hasn't fallen down.

If fact, I didn't hear a single person complaining about it. 

Another important aspect to consider, apart from the waste that these bags generate, is the problems that arise from manufacturing them.

Quickly looking online, I found this...

"Worldwide, a trillion single-use plastic bags are used each year, nearly 2 million each minute. The amount of energy required to make 12 plastic shopping bags could drive a car for a mile."  www.earth-policy.org

Whoever wrote this article should probably choose their words a little better and change "drive" to "power", if they want to be taken seriously. 

37 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Whoever wrote this article should probably choose their words a little better and change "drive" to "power", if they want to be taken seriously. 

So, that's what you got out of it?

Very insightful.

Not just dogs. My mom(93) is slowly losing control. We can use 3 bags some days from her depends and  and cleaning her up. My brother bought a box of 1000 bags at Sam's Club a few weeks ago.

Edited by Wacka