More in-depth look at Bills cap space

BillsMafi$

The money shot:

"We can all anticipate that the Buffalo Bills will be cutting some substantial checks this offseason, to the tune of $50M+ at a minimum, but I believe a greater portion of that — potentially over half of the available cap space — will need to be allotted for upcoming extensions of franchise-pillar players whose deals don’t expire until after the 2020 season."

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The money shot:

"We can all anticipate that the Buffalo Bills will be cutting some substantial checks this offseason, to the tune of $50M+ at a minimum, but I believe a greater portion of that — potentially over half of the available cap space — will need to be allotted for upcoming extensions of franchise-pillar players whose deals don’t expire until after the 2020 season."

Thats fantastic. We still have a QB on a rookie deal, so lock up the guys we need to and swing away on 1-2 more crucial pieces to get us over the hump. The cross your fingers so hard they break that Josh develops.

This is the year to go all-in.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

The money shot:

I think they do intend to roll over 30-35 million in cap space out of the 90-100 they have to help their future extensions, but I also doubt they roll over 45-50 million. The window to win in the NFL is super short and Josh's rookie deal only has 2 years left before the hefty 5th year option. You can't be too conservative and roll over too much money at the cost of missing out on adding a piece or two to a roster loaded to win. 

• Like (+1) 1

Well you might want to check out the TG article as it changes the discussion a bit (more in tune to how I see it)

https://theathletic.com/1585290/2020/02/05/salary-cap-surge-how-brandon-beane-got-the-bills-to-the-point-where-they-control-their-own-destiny/

A year ago, Buffalo entered the offseason ranked third in cap space at about $84 million. The additions of several free agents, most notably center Mitch Morse and receiver Cole Beasley, and an eight-man draft class barely impacted the initial 2020 cap number.

“They control their own destiny,” said Mike Ginnitti, a Bills fan and founder of sports financial database Spotrac. “They’ve cleaned their own house to the point where they’re happy. This new regime is all systems forward. There’s really no looking back.”

Buffalo’s cap situation is so healthy that it likely will stay that way next offseason and — even if the team’s fortunes continue to improve — maybe the offseason after that.

“Brandon Beane has structured these contracts that gives him whatever control he wants,” Ginnitti said. “He’s done a phenomenal job of staggering the money in ways many teams have not done. That’s why the Rams now are looking in the mirror, wondering what happened. They have no plan forward aside from their current situation.

“If he wants to overpay a little bit to keep Shaq Lawson, he can. He could cut Tyler Kroft, Star Lotulelei and Trent Murphy, and it wouldn’t make a dent in his cap space or his future cap because of the way he has structured the contracts.”

“We will do a deep and honest dive into the roster,” Beane said. “We have to be honest. If a guy played bad in Houston and played well the rest of the year, we can’t kill him, and vice versa.

“We have to look at A to Z. If it’s an older guy, was he a much better player in September and October than he was in December and January? You have to know your roster and decide, ‘Are we good at this spot? Do we feel confident? If we go through free agency and the draft and don’t add a guy here, are we ready to roll out with these guys? Do we need an upgrade?’ ”

“I’ll meet with Sean on each side of the ball for his wish list,” Beane said. “But we on the personnel side will look at it with our own eyes. Sean and his coaches are in the meeting room and might like (a certain player) more because they’ve become buddies and see the game the same way and communicate well.

“I stand back and look at it from a distance. Maybe he doesn’t want to teach a new guy, who has just a little more ability, the ins and outs of his system. It’s my job to press him on that if I think there are players who make us better in the draft or free agency.”

“My guess is they will try to jump on Tre’Davious White now,” said Ginnitti, a Lake Shore High and University at Buffalo alum. “A Josh Allen contract extension could be the conversation next summer, and you really don’t want a top cornerback and a quarterback needing money at the same time.”

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BillsMafia13 said:

I really hope they trade for Trent Williams. Lock down LT spot, extend white, package some picks and move up in the first. 

And how is that accomplishd? Washington isn't going to let Williams go for nothing, and then you want to package (which would be a significant haul) picks and move up in the first? Better hope the player of the decade is there.

There’s no need to do that. They currently have $120M in space for 2021 without considering a cap rise.

They can easily dole out $70M in FA contracts and another $10M for draft picks and still have $40-$50M available in 2021 for extensions and draft picks.

And that’s without cutting anyone.

Edited by thebandit27
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

So tired of the early damage control and expectations of not being able to sign any big free agents. We have $90M in cap space and really none of our own free agents that are crucial to sign. Even taking into account money for some of our own we easily have $50M+ that could be spent on 2-3 big name free agents. There is no way to spin and tired of hearing how our $90M is really not $90M now. Last year we heard how great a job this team did putting us in position to have all this cap space and no its not really cap space. Come on now. 

14 minutes ago, ngbills said:

So tired of the early damage control and expectations of not being able to sign any big free agents. We have $90M in cap space and really none of our own free agents that are crucial to sign. Even taking into account money for some of our own we easily have $50M+ that could be spent on 2-3 big name free agents. There is no way to spin and tired of hearing how our $90M is really not $90M now. Last year we heard how great a job this team did putting us in position to have all this cap space and no its not really cap space. Come on now. 

What are you talking about?

To start, the article is from Cover 1, not the Bills, so I hardly see how it’s a damage control shot across the bow.

Secondly, the team added nine—Nine!—new opening-day starters on offense in FA last offseason. 

What, precisely, are you tired of at this point?

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

To start, the article is from Cover 1, not the Bills, so I hardly see how it’s a damage control shot across the bow.

Secondly, the team added nine—Nine!—new opening-day starters on offense in FA last offseason. 

This happens every off season.  People count cap space and think all of it can be used for new long term contracts and it really can't be

looked at that way.  

Salary Cap is 199 million this year.  Bills have 145 million in contracts.  That leaves 55 in true cap space.  The "extra" cap is a one time use of the money.

This extra cap (which is an accumulation of rollover) will mostly be used by Beane flex through the big contracts that are coming up.

Beane is doing a heck of a job with the money and is certainly looking long term.  It's one of the reasons I think he is the right man for the job!

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I was reacting to not just the article but posters discussions of the topic on this thread and others. 

And if they added 9 last year then should have the ability to do much more this year.

$90M is one of the highest cap numbers available of any team this year or for any year ever. Someone people seem to think with $90M you cannot do much because of excuse xy or z. All teams have flexibility in the NFL by the nature of how contracts are structured. The Bills have so much flexibility and $ available they are not limited in who they can sign. The only limit would be if they want to pay or the player wants to play. Not a cap issue. 

23 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

This happens every off season.  People count cap space and think all of it can be used for new long term contracts and it really can't be

looked at that way.  

Salary Cap is 199 million this year.  Bills have 145 million in contracts.  That leaves 55 in true cap space.  The "extra" cap is a one time use of the money.

This extra cap (which is an accumulation of rollover) will mostly be used by Beane flex through the big contracts that are coming up.

Beane is doing a heck of a job with the money and is certainly looking long term.  It's one of the reasons I think he is the right man for the job!

This is what I am talking about. We are in better shape than just about ever team out there. 

We do not only have $55M. That is money available so why would that not be included?

People get confused with spending money just to spend it vs spending money to improve the team. Spending on certain free agents are worth more than saving to resign guys like Milano, Poyer, etc. I agree you look long term and what will help the team win now and in the future. 

58 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

This is why I put the TG article inn here, the cover 1 article is nonsense

Saw that, and a bit on a 30% restriction/ requirement when entering the last year of the CBA when it comes to paying extensions iirc, don’t fully understand that stipulation,  lots of financial juggling is going to happen. No worries though, Beane will do his thing. 

Edited by Don Otreply

10 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I was reacting to not just the article but posters discussions of the topic on this thread and others. 

And if they added 9 last year then should have the ability to do much more this year.

$90M is one of the highest cap numbers available of any team this year or for any year ever. Someone people seem to think with $90M you cannot do much because of excuse xy or z. All teams have flexibility in the NFL by the nature of how contracts are structured. The Bills have so much flexibility and $ available they are not limited in who they can sign. The only limit would be if they want to pay or the player wants to play. Not a cap issue. 

This is what I am talking about. We are in better shape than just about ever team out there. 

We do not only have $55M. That is money available so why would that not be included?

People get confused with spending money just to spend it vs spending money to improve the team. Spending on certain free agents are worth more than saving to resign guys like Milano, Poyer, etc. I agree you look long term and what will help the team win now and in the future. 

Last year was about stocking the roster with NFL-level talent; this year is about adding 3-4 legit superstars imo.

Go big. Get Clowney. Get AJ Green. Get Byron Jones or Cory Littleton. 

Try to be so talented on offense that your QB has literally no excuse to fail.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I'm not saying that Beane cannot spend money on a big named free agent or even two of them.

What I am saying that people on this board see a number and think the money can be used in ways that are unsustainable.

First off the Bills have 81 million in cap space not 90 million.

My main point is that GMs need to look forward when it comes to contracts.  The "sustainable" number this year is 200 million.

Writing contracts to that number (yes I know it goes up BUT so does all the minimum contract numbers) is what long term planning is all about.

IF a team like the Bills have extra rolled over $s they can use a portion to write contracts today but spending it all creates a long term risk.

21 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Last year was about stocking the roster with NFL-level talent; this year is about adding 3-4 legit superstars imo.

Go big. Get Clowney. Get AJ Green. Get Byron Jones or Cory Littleton. 

Try to be so talented on offense that your QB has literally no excuse to fail.

This^^^^^^^ and This^^^^^ again!

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Markaf431 said:

And how is that accomplishd? Washington isn't going to let Williams go for nothing, and then you want to package (which would be a significant haul) picks and move up in the first? Better hope the player of the decade is there.

That would be Chase Young. But unfortunately, there is no way we are getting him.