2020 Draft Hypothetical

14 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Love possibility #2. Don't be afraid to draft wr in the first 2 rounds. Shenault and Pittman would be perfect. Brown & Beasley's age are factors. 

I’m definitely in favor of 2 wrs (maybe in the 2nd and later after going pass rusher in the 1st).  I legit don’t trust their abilities to evaluate receiver at all so might as well take a bunch of chances. 

4 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

yup...apparently he was directly involved in a tea bagging event?

So was Peyton Manning.  So that means he will be an all time great. 

38 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

No idea.  Maybe he drops then Tunsil style.

The Tunsil drop was so stupid.  I was in charge, I would have drafted him 1st overall.  We just used to use snow hats to cover our faces.  The gas mask is genius. 

2 hours ago, Vod Kanockers said:

No point in asking you who’s going to win the SB either, since they haven’t even played the game yet, correct? 

Now now, people still like you...? sorry Vod but I couldn’t help myself ?

Go Bills!!!

21 hours ago, Vod Kanockers said:

No point in asking you who’s going to win the SB either, since they haven’t even played the game yet, correct? 

The more relevant question is probably who I think will win the SB.  My point in my response was that the endless speculation about the draft picks is being made without three of the more important pieces of information.  These being which of their own free agents do they sign, which of their players under contract do they release, and which free agents from other teams do they sign.  Other posts declare in absolutes that the Bills will do specific things in the draft.  IMHO this is ridiculous.  I find more value in the posts from people who identify information about some of the hidden gems in the draft that the mainstream sports media misses.

To put your analogy in this context, it is tantamount to picking your super bowl winner before the season is played.  We all know how valid those kinds of predictions are.

On 2/1/2020 at 3:22 AM, BigdaddyinOrlando said:

My nightmare scenario is Higgens there and at 21 the eagles pick him in front of us! If we really target a wr gonna need to get ahead of the eagles to secure him. JMO

I think the Eagles are looking at a pure speed guy like Ruggs or Reagor. They already have big-bodied WRs, their need is completely different than ours.

I'm one of those who thinks a trade up for a WR would be foolish, given the depth of this draft at WR.  I would be a little surprised at the Drafttek projection happening (doubling up at WR, but a lot of that will depend on what the Bills do in free agency.

5 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

The more relevant question is probably who I think will win the SB.  My point in my response was that the endless speculation about the draft picks is being made without three of the more important pieces of information.  These being which of their own free agents do they sign, which of their players under contract do they release, and which free agents from other teams do they sign.  Other posts declare in absolutes that the Bills will do specific things in the draft.  IMHO this is ridiculous.  I find more value in the posts from people who identify information about some of the hidden gems in the draft that the mainstream sports media misses.

To put your analogy in this context, it is tantamount to picking your super bowl winner before the season is played.  We all know how valid those kinds of predictions are.

So, long story short.. You’re more worried about being right, than sharing an opinion. Got it. 

Asking about the Super Bowl winner is no different on September 1st, than it is on January 31st. It is the exact same question. The ONLY difference is that in September, the odds of being correct are 1:32. Where as the odds when we ask you before kickoff of the game, and all players have made it on the field safely, now becomes 1:2. 

Your answer is the equivalent to saying, “I don’t know who is going to win, because there’s a possibility that an asteroid could slam into the earth before the game, and we would all die, horrible, horrible, deaths.”

Did your girlfriend ever ask you if you wanted kids after dating for a while? Was your response, “Bich, how should I know? We’re not even married yet?”

Ill stop back later and ask who you think will win the game with .01 seconds left, that way you’ll have all the information you’ll need in order to make an accurate prediction. 

Edited by Vod Kanockers

4 hours ago, Vod Kanockers said:

So, long story short.. You’re more worried about being right, than sharing an opinion. Got it. 

Asking about the Super Bowl winner is no different on September 1st, than it is on January 31st. It is the exact same question. The ONLY difference is that in September, the odds of being correct are 1:32. Where as the odds when we ask you before kickoff of the game, and all players have made it on the field safely, now becomes 1:2. 

Your answer is the equivalent to saying, “I don’t know who is going to win, because there’s a possibility that an asteroid could slam into the earth before the game, and we would all die, horrible, horrible, deaths.”

Did your girlfriend ever ask you if you wanted kids after dating for a while? Was your response, “Bich, how should I know? We’re not even married yet?”

Ill stop back later and ask who you think will win the game with .01 seconds left, that way you’ll have all the information you’ll need in order to make an accurate prediction. 

Obviously you missed the point.  Have a nice off season.

11 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

We really need a linebacker or two, even though it doesn't get mentioned that much. If free agency doesn't help in that regard, I'd be surprised if we didn't use one of our top picks on one.

Need to replace Lorax.  Use top 3 picks for edge and WRs (BPA).

On 1/31/2020 at 11:47 PM, Vod Kanockers said:

Disclaimer: Yes! I know it’s not even February and things will change between now and the draft! Now, with that out of the way.. 

The latest Drafttek Mock draft had me pondering a couple of possibilities. 

https://www.drafttek.com/m/2020-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1.asp

Possibility #1

Both Lamb and Jeudy are still both on the board at 10. If you have interest in drafting either, which team do you call, and what do you offer. 

Yes, most of us are still shell shocked from the Sammy Watkins debacle. But I don’t believe that should make you stop from swinging. Maybe just hope for a bit more luck the next time. 

Possibility #2

The draft has us taking Shenault in the 1st and Pittman in the second. 

After thinking about it, I couldn’t say I’d mind that. Both Beasley and Brown are approaching 30. 

If you have any questions regarding this regimes ability to spot offensive talent, taking 2 wouldn’t be the worst idea in the world. 

Try to find a couple of OL and a DE in FA somewhere, and try to draft DE/LB next year.

What say you? ?

I think if that if the draft DID pan out like this in Rd 1. I'd rather trade up ahead of the Eagles and K'lavon and then a WR in the second.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

We really need a linebacker or two, though it doesn't get mentioned that much. If free agency doesn't help in that regard, I'd be surprised if we didn't use one of our top picks on one.

I’m sure they can find a LB or two in FA. The type they need isn’t hard to come by.

I also hope that they re-sign Stanford. He looked decent in place of Edmunds at times, and that would keep 3 non-starters that know the defensive scheme in the fold in Stanford/Thompson/Joseph. Add a solid FA like my boy Elandon Roberts and we’re good to go.

On 1/31/2020 at 10:05 PM, Vod Kanockers said:

The more I think about things, I’d probably be more on board with this option as well.

I will say, it’s probably those 2 specific names that are causing me to lean in that direction. I don’t know what direction I would go in, if one, or neither were available. Probably BPA in a position of need, but we for sure need to come away with at least 1 WR this draft. (Including what happens in FA, because we need youth at the position, as well) 

What are you doing if one of or both players are off the board? Anyone else you like?

Higgins and Jefferson.  This wr draft is so ridiculously loaded that you can go in many directions on 1st & 2nd round wr combos. My emphasis is size. I'm looking 6-2 to 6-4 in my selections.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/31/2020 at 10:47 PM, Vod Kanockers said:

Disclaimer: Yes! I know it’s not even February and things will change between now and the draft! Now, with that out of the way.. 

The latest Drafttek Mock draft had me pondering a couple of possibilities. 

https://www.drafttek.com/m/2020-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1.asp

Possibility #1

Both Lamb and Jeudy are still both on the board at 10. If you have interest in drafting either, which team do you call, and what do you offer. 

Yes, most of us are still shell shocked from the Sammy Watkins debacle. But I don’t believe that should make you stop from swinging. Maybe just hope for a bit more luck the next time. 

Possibility #2

The draft has us taking Shenault in the 1st and Pittman in the second. 

After thinking about it, I couldn’t say I’d mind that. Both Beasley and Brown are approaching 30. 

If you have any questions regarding this regimes ability to spot offensive talent, taking 2 wouldn’t be the worst idea in the world. 

Try to find a couple of OL and a DE in FA somewhere, and try to draft DE/LB next year.

What say you? ?

With the amount of talent at WR in the 1st and 2nd rd I think a double dip could be the way to go if the right players fall to us. I would be very happy if option 2 happened.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/1/2020 at 4:22 AM, BigdaddyinOrlando said:

My nightmare scenario is Higgens there and at 21 the eagles pick him in front of us! If we really target a wr gonna need to get ahead of the eagles to secure him. JMO

Higgins is valued too high in many mock drafts.  He isn't even a true No. 1 on Clemson.  Great program with good players, but I just don't see what makes him a better pro.  He will be going up against faster stronger DBs and although he is physical enough for his build, he's not the type of guy that is going to outmuscle for contested balls.  I think he is 2nd rounder, just like Justin Jefferson.  Both are going to be good players, but if you are looking for either to be your franschise WR that will have a storied career with Allen - I don't think either one is that guy.

11 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Again, clearly you missed the end of the original post.

Who are you thinking? Green Bay? New Orleans? Don’t worry, there are no wrong answers.. Just a discussion about football and possibilities.. It’s ok, you’ll figure it out, eventually.. ?

(However, the CORRECT answer should be, Buffalo) ?

On 2/2/2020 at 1:11 AM, ScottLaw said:

Tell that to Atlanta who made an even bolder trade to land Julio Jones..... I’d be all for a trade up considering where this team is currently at in its development and the amount of picks they have.

How many SBs has Atlanta won? You act like that argument is a clear and obvious winner. It's not. There's still a lot of questions about whether they should have done that, and that certainly includes Atlanta fans.

That trade is still questioned by many. Nobody doubts for a second that Julio is terrific, he just is. But there's no particular reason to think that the huge bounty of picks they traded away to get him aren't in large part responsible for their dropoff after that trade. The year before that trade they went 13-3. The year of the trade they dropped three games to 10-6. Then 13-3 and things looked good but the draft class was again weak and the next year ... uh oh, 4-12, then 6-10, then 8-8. Only the next year did they finally appear to have recovered from those weak drafts.

A trade up for the Bills this year? Sure, if you're trading away a 5th, maybe, or a 5th and a 7th. Absolutely. I'm in. A major tradeup? For a WR??? In a draft that's extremely rich in quality WR prospects? That makes no sense whatsoever. Assuming it's not for WR, I still doubt the FO would consider it unless they somehow acquire a few more picks before the draft.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

How many SBs has Atlanta won? You act like that argument is a clear and obvious winner. It's not. There's still a lot of questions about whether they should have done that, and that certainly includes Atlanta fans.

That trade is still questioned by many. Nobody doubts for a second that Julio is terrific, he just is. But there's no particular reason to think that the huge bounty of picks they traded away to get him aren't in large part responsible for their dropoff after that trade. The year before that trade they went 13-3. The year of the trade they dropped three games to 10-6. Then 13-3 and things looked good but the draft class was again weak and the next year ... uh oh, 4-12, then 6-10, then 8-8. Only the next year did they finally appear to have recovered from those weak drafts.

A trade up for the Bills this year? Sure, if you're trading away a 5th, maybe, or a 5th and a 7th. Absolutely. I'm in. A major tradeup? For a WR??? In a draft that's extremely rich in quality WR prospects? That makes no sense whatsoever. Assuming it's not for WR, I still doubt the FO would consider it unless they somehow acquire a few more picks before the draft.

And that's what happens when you hit a home run with the pick.  What happens if you don't was put on display by the Bills in 2014.  So I couldn't agree more with what you are saying.  You stay put or try to get more picks in this draft.  WR is a position that relies upon so many other things working well to be effective.  I honestly hope the Bills take an Edge Rusher and an OL prospect and possibly two WRs in their first 4 picks.  They should also use a pick on another back.  Perine is who I would target, because he is a solid back and also a good receiver that is very effective in the screen game.  

There will be really good WRs available into the 3rd and 4th rounds, and those at the top really don't look like they are Julio Jones type players.  There is some differentiation in talent, but it's not a huge dropoff after a couple of guys.  The top guys aren't some incredible combination of size, speed, and skill like Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss, or Julio Jones.  There is a good chance that top WR picks won't be as successful as the later picks, and that the best players at WR in this draft may come from the 2nd and 3rd rounds. 

12 hours ago, Vod Kanockers said:

Who are you thinking? Green Bay? New Orleans? Don’t worry, there are no wrong answers.. Just a discussion about football and possibilities.. It’s ok, you’ll figure it out, eventually.. ?

(However, the CORRECT answer should be, Buffalo) ?

Just so you understand the point of the point of the original post to which I responded. I was agreeing with another person that was tired of the mindless rhetorical drivel that is purveyed as absolute knowledge of future Bills actions.  I prefer to read opinions that are based on some semblance of knowledge and data.  I do hope that your version of the correct answer above proves to be accurate.  ?