New York (again)

8 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

The areas that you mentioned and are familiar with have been shitholes for as long as I can remember. Pretty much anything along 17 has been bad since the 90s

I would disagree that the region has always been that way or even since the 90's.  Certainly, there are some areas that are poor and have never improved but by and large the 80's to at least the late 90's were good for the region.  The NYT has a pretty good article (for them) here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/30/nyregion/new-yorks-southern-tier-once-a-home-for-big-business-is-struggling.html

IMO things started getting bad after 2000.  Most of the school consolidations started in the late 90's and I don't believe this was fully felt (or implemented) across the region for a few years.  Rochester was still ok back then as I knew people who would commute from the Hornell/Dansville area to Kodak Park and KAD.  Neglecting the Rochester area, some large employers who vacated the region or had large layoffs were after 2000 (i.e., Foster Wheeler-Dansville, Dresser Rand-Region, Siemens-Olean, DOT-Hornell).  Also, this was the timeframe when the US lost significant manufacturing jobs which impacted the Southern Tier disproportionally.   

More recently I think the economy has worsened as I see lots of lots of small closures throughout the region such as Steuben Trust, Valu Home Centers, even the Friendly's in Hornell!  In higher education (unfortunately a significant employer now) local, regional and national demographics are working against them.  AU and St. B have increased enrollment-for now, SUNYs are up probably due to NYS tuition programs.  Conversely, CC and EC are down, and KC will be gone in 3 years.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

One thing that is great about the United States of America is that you're allowed to move to any state you want.

I work with people that hate NY and talk about moving all the time. I tell them to move. What are you waiting for? 3 years later they're still talking about it.

And I will be within 6 years. Possibly 2. Florida, here we come!

5 minutes ago, Precision said:

I would disagree that the region has always been that way or even since the 90's.  Certainly, there are some areas that are poor and have never improved but by and large the 80's to at least the late 90's were good for the region.  The NYT has a pretty good article (for them) here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/30/nyregion/new-yorks-southern-tier-once-a-home-for-big-business-is-struggling.html

IMO things started getting bad after 2000.  Most of the school consolidations started in the late 90's and I don't believe this was fully felt (or implemented) across the region for a few years.  Rochester was still ok back then as I knew people who would commute from the Hornell/Dansville area to Kodak Park and KAD.  Neglecting the Rochester area, some large employers who vacated the region or had large layoffs were after 2000 (i.e., Foster Wheeler-Dansville, Dresser Rand-Region, Siemens-Olean, DOT-Hornell).  Also, this was the timeframe when the US lost significant manufacturing jobs which impacted the Southern Tier disproportionally.   

More recently I think the economy has worsened as I see lots of lots of small closures throughout the region such as Steuben Trust, Valu Home Centers, even the Friendly's in Hornell!  In higher education (unfortunately a significant employer now) local, regional and national demographics are working against them.  AU and St. B have increased enrollment-for now, SUNYs are up probably due to NYS tuition programs.  Conversely, CC and EC are down, and KC will be gone in 3 years.

Well put.

Here in Cuba, the problem is highlighted by the lack of young adults. Almost NO ONE stays in the area after graduating high school.

Last fall I skipped driving down Route 86 and drove 40 miles down 417, very depressing.

Edited by B-Man
  • Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Well put.

Here in Cuba, the problem is highlighted by the lack of young adults. Almost NO ONE stays in the area after graduating high school.

Last fall I skipped driving down Route 86 and drove 40 miles down 417, very depressing.

Cuba, holy cow we were practically neighbors as I grew up in Canisteo!  We may have played you guys in football! 

When are you guys going to build that big cheese factory?

Edited by Precision

53 minutes ago, Precision said:

When are you guys going to build that big cheese factory?

A perfect example.

Our Cheese plant was to be (re)built here (after a hundred years of being open)

Unless something changes, it will be moving out of town, over the hill to Franklinville.

$$$$$$$

Edited by B-Man

12 hours ago, B-Man said:

Well put.

The measure of a smaller municipality isn't whether young adults stay put. Young adults (read: men) naturally want to forge their own path and the current year method of doing that is leaving the place you called home for a decade or more.

The measure of a smaller municipality is whether it can attract young adults or families from other places. And upstate New York, with some notable exceptions (like Albany, astroturfed by NYS government), hasn't been able to do that for many years.

• Thank you (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, B-Man said:

The Congressional map she approved is against the state constitution which states that districts "be as compact in form as practicable and not be drawn to disfavor political parties". Neither of these has been applied at all.

Check out Texas gerrymandering 

Justice Department sues to block gerrymandered Texas congressional map

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/2021/12/06/justice-department-accuses-texas-of-voting-rights-violations-in-gerrymandering/

Anatomy of the Texas Gerrymander

Here’s how Texas Republicans crafted one of the most politically and racially skewed maps of this redistricting cycle.

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/analysis-opinion/anatomy-texas-gerrymander

Edited by ALF

2 hours ago, ALF said:

Check out Texas gerrymandering 

Justice Department sues to block gerrymandered Texas congressional map

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/2021/12/06/justice-department-accuses-texas-of-voting-rights-violations-in-gerrymandering/

Anatomy of the Texas Gerrymander

Here’s how Texas Republicans crafted one of the most politically and racially skewed maps of this redistricting cycle.

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/analysis-opinion/anatomy-texas-gerrymander

Who cares? I don’t live in Texas! I care about NYS, if you think that’s ok, you’re part of the problem. 

9 hours ago, Westside said:

Who cares? I don’t live in Texas! I care about NYS, if you think that’s ok, you’re part of the problem. 

Are you saying it's ok for red states to gerrymander ?

I'm against all gerrymandering

Edited by ALF

4 hours ago, ALF said:

Are you saying it's ok for red states to gerrymander ?

I'm against all gerrymandering

Are you saying that? You’re the one doing the whatsboutism.  I think it’s wrong period! I don’t base my opinions on which party is doing it. I think for myself. 
People need to stop acting like both political sides are a football team!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

SHAMELESS: 

Andrew Cuomo Says He Feels ‘Vindicated’ and Won’t Rule Out a Political Comeback.

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/rick-moran/2022/02/08/andrew-cuomo-says-he-feels-vindicated-and-wont-rule-out-a-political-comeback-n1557305

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMKf9-NeI4iZSTWnAwWvK

A Trump vs Cuomo race would be epic. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1