Job Interviewing Etiquette

Another Fan

54 minutes ago, Gordio said:

I will second this point.  About a year ago my friend who was a manager at the bank I used to work for told me they were hiring in his department which was credit risk.  He said I would be perfect for the job.  Even though I am really happy with my current job I thought what the hell.  So I got thru the three rounds of phone interviews that took a few weeks & it was between me & this other guy.  We each had to meet with the guy that ran the department.  This job would of been about a 30% increase in pay which would of been the biggest bump in pay I ever got.  I knew a bunch of people that worked in that department from my old days there & my good friend who told me about it put in a good word for me & told me I pretty much have the job & this interview is just a formality.  the day I was supposed to meet the guy, it was really hot that day so I decided "ah screw it, I am just wearing Khakis & a polo shirt."  I didn't feel like putting a suit on.  I usually dress business casual at the office unless I got to meet clients, even then I rarely wear a tie.  Well as soon as the guy came down to the entrance to meet, I saw his look of how I was dressed & knew I was screwed.  Sure enough I didn't get the job & my friend said the manager was really put off I didn't dress up more.  Sure it would of been more money, but it would of been a lot more work & a lot more travel so I really wasn't that upset about it.  

I will say I think it is pretty closed minded to just eliminate a guy who would of been a perfect fit just because I didn't feel like sweating my ass off in a suit that day.

I get it if you're interviewing at a white shoe law firm or on Wall Street, but otherwise find the pretense of dressing for an interview differently than how you'd dress working there (or dressing up for work in general), to be a silly anachronism.

On 1/26/2020 at 8:57 PM, Augie said:

All good questions. You’d hope they would have 30/60/90 day type sit downs for evaluation purposes. One of the first rules of good management is a bad evaluation should NEVER be a surprise. 

Performance evaluations are going the way of the dodo bird..sit downs at some intervals for coaching and feedback..no numbers or stuff. The new term is continuous performance management..look back evaluations are almost dead .

On 1/29/2020 at 12:35 PM, SlimShady'sGhost said:

The second is about learning and development - and specifically, whether the company is actively investing in their employees. After all, you want to know that you’re going to move forward in a job.

“Ask, ‘how do you support the professional development of your employees?’. Answers to this question will give you an insight into how the business will support you as you progress up the career ladder,” 

These are very good! 

On 2/4/2020 at 6:49 AM, /dev/null said:

Was the suit dirty and nasty or did it just look like it had been hanging in a closet for a year or two?

If it looks like was just hanging, that's really not a big deal these days.  Other than job interviews, weddings, and funerals, most people under 50 don't regularly wear suits

I am 57, had a wedding the other month so looked to put on a suit... and pants were "euro" cut from like 2011...still looked like bell bottoms! Think 2012 last time I wore a suit

On 2/4/2020 at 11:02 AM, KD in CA said:

The real issue is that he wore a suit at all.  No one wears a suit here - ever.  T

There it is. I have sold for  valley startups for most of the last twenty years... wearing a suit in to interview out there is the kiss of death..especially at my age.

BTW, my wife works for a staid old line fortune 100 in sales, and now that my friends are staring to have kids graduation from college, she has set like 5 of them up for intereviews in places like Pittsburgh, Cleveland and DC. She always tell them sharp sport coat, polished shoes...no tie, no suit, no wrinkles, no bad looking shoes

Edited by plenzmd1

37 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I get it if you're interviewing at a white shoe law firm or on Wall Street, but otherwise find the pretense of dressing for an interview differently than how you'd dress working there (or dressing up for work in general), to be a silly anachronism.

That is what I thought, & the bank I interviewed at & the old bank I used to work at was one of the first big banks to throw out the suits & go business casual. which was back in 1999 or so. Ah too each their own I guess.    

On 2/5/2020 at 11:41 AM, Fan in San Diego said:

I've read the opposite. Workers under 35 suck! No work ethic. Employers want older employees because we know how to get the job done!

work places want:

1)  a source of capital from someone joining

2)  a book of business to bring along

3) a proven ability to perform key skills in the given industry

having all 3 is a good thing, better have one of them...

1 hour ago, Nanker said:

Brush up on your job skills before you interview.

Here's a quick video with some clues on how to behave.

That is actually a really cool video that I suspect not many people have bothered viewing.

It kind of sucks you in like the Bermuda Triangle!  I had to snap myself out of it after 4 minutes or so try to get my life back.

The Asian woman with the adding machine is incredible, as was the Asian guy peeling some type of fruit or vegetable like a machine.  He got only the skin, no "meat", no waste, and he did the whole thing in like 6 strokes of the blade!

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

That is actually a really cool video that I suspect not many people have bothered viewing.

It kind of sucks you in like the Bermuda Triangle!  I had to snap myself out of it after 4 minutes or so try to get my life back.

The Asian woman with the adding machine is incredible, as was the Asian guy peeling some type of fruit or vegetable like a machine.  He got only the skin, no "meat", no waste, and he did the whole thing in like 6 strokes of the blade!

I jumped ahead to spackle girl.   Heck yes.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Gordio said:

I will second this point.  About a year ago my friend who was a manager at the bank I used to work for told me they were hiring in his department which was credit risk.  He said I would be perfect for the job.  Even though I am really happy with my current job I thought what the hell.  So I got thru the three rounds of phone interviews that took a few weeks & it was between me & this other guy.  We each had to meet with the guy that ran the department.  This job would of been about a 30% increase in pay which would of been the biggest bump in pay I ever got.  I knew a bunch of people that worked in that department from my old days there & my good friend who told me about it put in a good word for me & told me I pretty much have the job & this interview is just a formality.  the day I was supposed to meet the guy, it was really hot that day so I decided "ah screw it, I am just wearing Khakis & a polo shirt."  I didn't feel like putting a suit on.  I usually dress business casual at the office unless I got to meet clients, even then I rarely wear a tie.  Well as soon as the guy came down to the entrance to meet, I saw his look of how I was dressed & knew I was screwed.  Sure enough I didn't get the job & my friend said the manager was really put off I didn't dress up more.  Sure it would of been more money, but it would of been a lot more work & a lot more travel so I really wasn't that upset about it.  

I will say I think it is pretty closed minded to just eliminate a guy who would of been a perfect fit just because I didn't feel like sweating my ass off in a suit that day.

Banking seems to be one of the last industries holding onto the "suit and tie," dress code.

It's an antiquated school of thought.  Sounds like you're the winner in this scenario because that dude sounds like a douchebag.

• Like (+1) 1

you'd have at least 3 days a week where you'll have to go out of your way to suck it up and sweat in a suit

you showed you are not banking material, which isn't a bad thing in life....

20 hours ago, Gordio said:

That is what I thought, & the bank I interviewed at & the old bank I used to work at was one of the first big banks to throw out the suits & go business casual. which was back in 1999 or so. Ah too each their own I guess.    

you might be able to casually visit your interviewer's place for a few minutes the week of your interview and see what the culture is

oh.... that requires some thinking...

Edited by row_33

12 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Banking seems to be one of the last industries holding onto the "suit and tie," dress code.

It's an antiquated school of thought.  Sounds like you're the winner in this scenario because that dude sounds like a douchebag.

Well, i would not agree with this. I dont think there is really any job in a bank, or any any professional interview for that matter,  you show up for an interview in khakis and a polo.

Minimum is nice dress jeans, crisp blazer, and shined shoes!

9 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Well, i would not agree with this. I dont think there is really any job in a bank, or any any professional interview for that matter,  you show up for an interview in khakis and a polo.

Minimum is nice dress jeans, crisp blazer, and shined shoes!

I work as an engineer for a defense contractor and perform interviews all the time. I can say for me and my coworkers we really couldn't care less about how dressed up someone is.

It surprises me that someone would discount a very qualified candidate based on not having a suit on or not being dressed up "enough".

I have found the main problem interviewing today's out of college kids is that they come in with a sense of entitlement thinking they have already earned the best positions just by completing a program. When asked about having any interest in learning and working with a certain newer technology I actually had a guy answer "Not really".

I guess the approach of appearing eager to do whatever is asked of you from a prospective new employer is outdated now.

6 minutes ago, Metal Man said:

I work as an engineer for a defense contractor and perform interviews all the time. I can say for me and my coworkers we really couldn't care less about how dressed up someone is.

It surprises me that someone would discount a very qualified candidate based on not having a suit on or not being dressed up "enough".

I have found the main problem interviewing today's out of college kids is that they come in with a sense of entitlement thinking they have already earned the best positions just by completing a program. When asked about having any interest in learning and working with a certain newer technology I actually had a guy answer "Not really".

I guess the approach of appearing eager to do whatever is asked of you from a prospective new employer is outdated now.

it depends, case by case basis

getting it wrong costs you hours of your life you will never get back

10 minutes ago, Metal Man said:

That cause your engineers, not real people?

Suit is gone, no doubt. But khakis and a polo? I am guessing a long sleeve dress shirt crisply laundered would have been sufficient, it is the polo that throws people askew.

I work in HR Tech, so am quite close to plenty of the issues with some younger workers. Seems to be ghosting employers has become a thing. They get other jobs after accepting multiple offers,  or dont like the one that have, they just never show up or  stop showing up. It is how they have ended other relationships, just carries over!

https://www.vice.com/en_nz/article/yw9evk/how-companies-are-dealing-with-millennials-ghosting-on-their-jobs?utm_source=viceadwordsdynamicus&utm_medium=cpc

Having said that, it is getting really tiring all this branding by age group. We need to take the word millennial and boomer and Gen Z etc out of our vocabulary. 

Edited by plenzmd1

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

That cause your engineers, not real people?

Suit is gone, no doubt. But khakis and a polo? I am guessing a long sleeve dress shirt crisply laundered would have been sufficient, it is the polo that throws people askew.

I work in HR Tech, so am quite close to plenty of the issues with some younger workers. Seems to be ghosting employers has become a thing. They get other jobs after accepting multiple offers,  or dont like the one that have, they just never show up or  stop showing up. It is how they have ended other relationships, just carries over!

https://www.vice.com/en_nz/article/yw9evk/how-companies-are-dealing-with-millennials-ghosting-on-their-jobs?utm_source=viceadwordsdynamicus&utm_medium=cpc

Ha, no doubt engineers are a different breed. We are an informal shop, hoodies/jeans are more the norm, so I suppose that plays into it too. Good employees with solid experience have been difficult for us to find so for me a polo would be more than enough of a sign of respect if we really valued the person.

We had the ghosting thing happen a couple of years ago. Kid just didn't want to do the work that new people typically start out with because he was bored with it. Didn't seem to get that everyone starts out somewhere and you have to prove yourself before you get put on the best projects, again the entitlement thing. In any case he just took some PTO one week and then never came back.

I've been out of college and in my career for 20 years now so I guess things have changed a lot as I was just happy to be employed and earning a decent salary when I got my first job.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Metal Man said:

Ha, no doubt engineers are a different breed. We are an informal shop, hoodies/jeans are more the norm, so I suppose that plays into it too. Good employees with solid experience have been difficult for us to find so for me a polo would be more than enough of a sign of respect if we really valued the person.

We had the ghosting thing happen a couple of years ago. Kid just didn't want to do the work that new people typically start out with because he was bored with it. Didn't seem to get that everyone starts out somewhere and you have to prove yourself before you get put on the best projects, again the entitlement thing. In any case he just took some PTO one week and then never came back.

I've been out of college and in my career for 20 years now so I guess things have changed a lot as I was just happy to be employed and earning a decent salary when I got my first job.

it's a character builder to graduate into a recession and all you get from your interviewer is "sorry you were born, but nobody outside your mother has any interest in your existence, thanks for coming out"

Edited by row_33
  • Haha (+1) 1

The interview that wasn't:

My Talent Acquisition guy emailed me about a candidate this afternoon.  Tells me the guy has 12 years experience in something closely related to what we do.  Then tells me that he had to start coming in late due to medical reasons and got laid off in June.  Said he's been on the job hunt for months, but hasn't had any luck.  Lastly, he says "he doesn't have a resume, but he's working on one."

Red Flag City.

Biggest one (to me) was that he's been on the job hunt for months and is still working on a resume?  That's like going hunting for deer without bullets.  You ain't gonna get one!!