Job Interviewing Etiquette

Another Fan

11 hours ago, KD in CA said:

We’re a startup in SF.  Kid I interviewed the other day wore a suit.  And it was badly in need of dry cleaning.

The interview went downhill from there, and ended quickly.

How would you feel if you get asked what’s most meaningful to you as a manager to see?

Ive reported to managers in my life that as long as the work was done could have cared less what I was doing.  On the other hand I’ve had managers who want to be kept in the loop on all the conversations I had, copied on all emails, want weekly updates, etc...  It can be emotionally draining and I’d rather just find a minimum wage gig than deal with that.

But yeah report with my direct report is at the top of my list that can make or break  a job 

Edited by Another Fan

4 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Was the suit dirty and nasty or did it just look like it had been hanging in a closet for a year or two?

If it looks like was just hanging, that's really not a big deal these days.  Other than job interviews, weddings, and funerals, most people under 50 don't regularly wear suits

The real issue is that he wore a suit at all.  No one wears a suit here - ever.  The stain was just icing on the cake.  Don’t get me wrong, although the suit indicates a glaring lack of cultural understanding, it wasn’t a disqualification.  His communication skills and intellectual curiosity were awful.  He acted like someone who read a 1950s pamphlet on how to interview.

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

How would you feel if you get asked what’s most meaningful to you as a manager to see?

I’m thrilled when candidates ask intelligent questions like that.  It gets to the heart of the key question of ‘can we work together effectively’.

Good employers are looking for contributors, people who can get ***** done.  When I find someone who has that mindset and the ability to fit in with the team, my search ends.  In very few jobs is someone’s experience materially different than dozens of other candidates.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Tell them that you generally will come in 15 minutes late and take the backdoor so your boss doesn't see you.

Then you space out and do about 15 minutes of real work in a given week.

How about saying how much you love Michael Bolton’s music? 

I interview people all day and every day.  However I'm in manufacturing so some guys cuss and show up dirty to an interview....that's normal.

Many of these guys will leave work at lunch to meet with us or leave straight from work to meet with us.  

If their hands look completely clean, not just washed hands clean, but like clean clean from head to toe....it looks suspicious.  If you got a guy working in industrial operations or maintenance....they should have some dirt on them.

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I interview people all day and every day.  However I'm in manufacturing so some guys cuss and show up dirty to an interview....that's normal.

Many of these guys will leave work at lunch to meet with us or leave straight from work to meet with us.  

If their hands look completely clean, not just washed hands clean, but like clean clean from head to toe....it looks suspicious.  If you got a guy working in industrial operations or maintenance....they should have some dirt on them.

Are you implying that someone who works in industrial operations or maintenance is incapable of washing himself properly?

In these days of online job application, you might never actually speak to anyone until the interview (phone or in-person).

I thought it would be cool to go in and do the Slingblade voice impression for the interview. "Ya got any french fried taters in yer cafeteria?"

Admittedly, this would be hard to pull off (you need to do some voice impressions too), and not get thrown out.

Age discrimination has enabled me to retire a few years sooner than expected. I LOVE not going to work everyday!

On 1/28/2020 at 8:56 AM, Augie said:

....you plan on going back to work in nine years???   :)

I have a friend who just announced he’s retiring at the end of this year. I advised him to start now forming a plan. After a couple weeks he may long for a part time job, maybe take some classes or dive into a hobby. He’s not one to do well with too much time on his hands. He just hates his current job. 

Good grief, don't you guys have any hobbies? 

I just can't imagine being bored these days. I am happy to be retired.

Will your friend miss going to the salt mine (or whatever) every day? Plan to stay up late, sleep in, take naps, all kinds of options!

Cheers!

So, I've been working at the same place for going on 14 years and things have been slowly declining over the past few years. Over the past two years things have gone from bad to worse. I started actively sending out resumes in the last week and was contacted by a company to take a digital interview earlier today. I opened up the email expecting to answer a few questions, only to find I need to record the whole thing via webcam or mobile app. I've been out of the game for quite some time. Needless to say I'm going to  need to do some prep work in the next 4 days before this thing expires.

7 minutes ago, Poleshifter said:

Good grief, don't you guys have any hobbies? 

I just can't imagine being bored these days. I am happy to be retired.

Will your friend miss going to the salt mine (or whatever) every day? Plan to stay up late, sleep in, take naps, all kinds of options!

Cheers!

He won’t miss going to the bank every day. Not in the least. BUT, I know him well, and he has some issues with having too much time on his hands. Trust me. Work keeps him focused and under control. 

A big part of this for me is I don’t love where we live, but the wife is still working and we are here for now. It could certainly be worse, but this was not my plan. I was far happier living and working in Sarasota. I liked being busy and good at something, while still making my own schedule. THAT was a great life. This is a good life. 

On 1/24/2020 at 12:38 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

If you are over 40, good luck. There is a real epidemic of age discrimination in job hiring. Are your skills marketable as a gun for hire?

I've read the opposite. Workers under 35 suck! No work ethic. Employers want older employees because we know how to get the job done!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2020 at 9:41 PM, KD in CA said:

We’re a startup in SF.  Kid I interviewed the other day wore a suit.  And it was badly in need of dry cleaning.

The interview went downhill from there, and ended quickly.

I will second this point.  About a year ago my friend who was a manager at the bank I used to work for told me they were hiring in his department which was credit risk.  He said I would be perfect for the job.  Even though I am really happy with my current job I thought what the hell.  So I got thru the three rounds of phone interviews that took a few weeks & it was between me & this other guy.  We each had to meet with the guy that ran the department.  This job would of been about a 30% increase in pay which would of been the biggest bump in pay I ever got.  I knew a bunch of people that worked in that department from my old days there & my good friend who told me about it put in a good word for me & told me I pretty much have the job & this interview is just a formality.  the day I was supposed to meet the guy, it was really hot that day so I decided "ah screw it, I am just wearing Khakis & a polo shirt."  I didn't feel like putting a suit on.  I usually dress business casual at the office unless I got to meet clients, even then I rarely wear a tie.  Well as soon as the guy came down to the entrance to meet, I saw his look of how I was dressed & knew I was screwed.  Sure enough I didn't get the job & my friend said the manager was really put off I didn't dress up more.  Sure it would of been more money, but it would of been a lot more work & a lot more travel so I really wasn't that upset about it.  

I will say I think it is pretty closed minded to just eliminate a guy who would of been a perfect fit just because I didn't feel like sweating my ass off in a suit that day.