Job Interviewing Etiquette

Another Fan

Ask questions about whom you'll be working with/under, like their backgrounds etc. Also if replacing someone it doesn't hurt to ask why they left. Also don't be modest but don't be cocky over your accomplishments. If/when asked about weaknesses be honest and say it with sincerity. 

4 hours ago, eball said:

I don’t know, a good pair of form-fitting leggings can send the message that you’re ready to hit the ground running. 

Definitely but to selling the running bit you need to wear sneakers too.

First rule - show up.

I"ve got multiple openings posted externally.  We're hiring direct instead of going through temp agencies.  That means immediate benefits.  24 days of PTO for the year, all the normal paid holidays, affordable and decent medical/dental/vision.

My first scheduled interview (yesterday) was a no-show.

It is ridiculous how difficult it is to find people who want to work.  It's gotten to the point where we are looking into using employees from another of our business units to do some work remotely.  Their office is going to be downsizing and if I can get a remote team of decent employees AND save their jobs ... sign me up.

It's pathetic out there.

11 hours ago, Augie said:

For me, I just want to be happy today. I don’t know if I’ll ever get to see tomorrow. I was far happier doing a job I loved in Sarasota than being now retired in Atlanta. Mrs Augie still works and has a great gig. She loves that work, and does well, so I’m happy for that. She is focused on being happy beyond the Finish Line, but she will never be finished. She’s just not wired that way. 

But I want nice 75 degree winter weather, tennis after work then a jump in the pool, etc. I used to make my own schedule, and that’s actually better than having NO schedule. I’m not very good at this “retired” stuff. 

I know, I don’t expect anyone to shed any tears......but it’s real. 

Augie, there's hope for you yet.  I worked for thirty-four years and have been retired for twenty-three years; my goal is to retired for as long as I worked.  After that, well....

to be honest, our specific job market is so dry with prospective employees, that if you show up to the interview, you're ahead of the game.  that's unfortunately not a lie.  we've called people to set up interviews, we confirm, and they don't show.  the last girl we had to let go showed up late twice in the first week.  she would text me with excuses, but they went on and on and on.  they include traffic, sick dog, multiple sicknesses, (made her bring in notes) care getting broken into which took all day because they left the door open and the battery went dead, etc.  after all of that, she kept asking when she would be included in our office bonus system.

our newest employee got the job because he not only show up the the first interview early, but she also showed up to the second interview early.  that's all we needed.  she's been great too.

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

First rule - show up.

I"ve got multiple openings posted externally.  We're hiring direct instead of going through temp agencies.  That means immediate benefits.  24 days of PTO for the year, all the normal paid holidays, affordable and decent medical/dental/vision.

My first scheduled interview (yesterday) was a no-show.

It is ridiculous how difficult it is to find people who want to work.  It's gotten to the point where we are looking into using employees from another of our business units to do some work remotely.  Their office is going to be downsizing and if I can get a remote team of decent employees AND save their jobs ... sign me up.

It's pathetic out there.

just saw this and you beat me to it.

1 hour ago, Keukasmallies said:

Augie, there's hope for you yet.  I worked for thirty-four years and have been retired for twenty-three years; my goal is to retired for as long as I worked.  After that, well....

....you plan on going back to work in nine years???   :)

I have a friend who just announced he’s retiring at the end of this year. I advised him to start now forming a plan. After a couple weeks he may long for a part time job, maybe take some classes or dive into a hobby. He’s not one to do well with too much time on his hands. He just hates his current job. 

On 1/24/2020 at 2:28 PM, Lurker said:

Be sure to ask about how many weeks of vacation you get and what their "summer hours" policy is...

But seriously, do a little research on the company so you can ask intelligent questions that show why you want to work there.   I can't believe how many folks I interview don't do that, walking in cold and unprepared.    It doesn't have to be extensive, but showing the interviewer that you've done some homework can be very helpful...

Back in the 80's, before the advent of the world wide web, it took actual effort to research companies, going to the library and such. Nowadays that information is right in one's own living room and still people don't put forth that effort. Knowing about the company may not get you the job, but not knowing about it can lose it. Even better if you research the company's competitors and can manufacture a question or two about them.

On 1/24/2020 at 5:19 PM, Another Fan said:

Still under 40 and in school nights.

I figure it don’t hurt too put myself out there to see 

Do not use bad grammar in the interview. Even better if you never use it at all. Hopefully the highlighted was a typo and you meant it won't hurt.

Other tips:

Be nice to everyone from the moment you walk in...from the receptionist to the janitor to the CEO. Again, not something that will get you the job, but it's something that might lose it.

Be sure to send thank you emails to everyone you talk to, assuming you get a business card with their email address (sent hard copy snail mail back in the day.) 

Two questions you are likely to be asked are "Tell me what you know about us" and "Tell me about yourself." Already discussed the importance of researching the company, talking about yourself is harder than you might think. Practice it...and talk out loud when practicing, even if no one is listening. Be sure to mention the night school.

Finally, go to youtube and search on interview questions, you'll get a better feel for what you might be asked and how to respond. 

Edited by Steve O
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 1/25/2020 at 4:58 AM, Buffalo716 said:

Thank me later

This dude is GOLD.  He has a ton of videos out there (would you look at that?!?!?).  I was just thinking about this one you posted the other day!!

• Haha (+1) 1

What kind of questions should you ask at the end of a job interview?

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/what-kind-of-questions-should-you-ask-at-the-end-of-a-job-interview-104929994.html

there are three key questions that should be on every job applicant’s list.

“The first, is asking the interviewer ‘is there anything regarding my experience you would like me to expand upon?’. Not only does this show that you are engaged, it also provides you with the opportunity to further emphasise your strengths and how you believe these will be an asset to the company’s objectives,” he says.

The second is about learning and development - and specifically, whether the company is actively investing in their employees. After all, you want to know that you’re going to move forward in a job.

“Ask, ‘how do you support the professional development of your employees?’. Answers to this question will give you an insight into how the business will support you as you progress up the career ladder,” 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, stuvian said:

Dress one level above the formality of the job you want. Emphasize your ability to get along with others and take direction. 

Good advice is to dress appropriately for your next job, not your current job. 

Right before I retired I considered going to work in sweatpants and a bathrobe, but I chickened out. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gray Beard said:

Right before I retired I considered going to work in sweatpants and a bathrobe, but I chickened out. 

as someone who is 13 months from being a pensioner I completely understand

I conducted an interview last Friday.  Candidate was on time, dressed properly .. so I figure, good start.

I asked who she spoke to about the position (phone screen); she told me.  I asked her to give me a rundown of how it was explained what we do.  She had no clue.

I give her a rundown of who we are/what we do, then dig into her resume a little bit.  Asked about her most recent position, including why she left.

In addition to bashing the place (a big no-no), she proceeds to tell me that she'd had her tonsils removed and was bothered by the fact that she had to go through a third party to coordinate her short-term disability.  She THEN went on to pose this hypothetical, "what if I get sick, or have to have another operation and have to miss a lot of time again?  I don't want to have to go through that."

Ten minutes.  That's all she got from me.

• Haha (+1) 1

We interviewed this young lady for a special educator position last Wednesday.  She is a new teacher, but had a pretty impressive resume in terms of her education/internship/related work experience.  There were 5 of us on the interview panel including our superintendent, so it was a pretty intense atmosphere.

Anyway, this girl walks in and immediately begins stammering and turns red as a tomato.  I think she actually had a panic attack.  Anyway, my superintendent discontinued the interview after only a few questions when it was clear that this poor girl was not doing well.  Poor girl...

5 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

We interviewed this young lady for a special educator position last Wednesday.  She is a new teacher, but had a pretty impressive resume in terms of her education/internship/related work experience.  There were 5 of us on the interview panel including our superintendent, so it was a pretty intense atmosphere.

Anyway, this girl walks in and immediately begins stammering and turns red as a tomato.  I think she actually had a panic attack.  Anyway, my superintendent discontinued the interview after only a few questions when it was clear that this poor girl was not doing well.  Poor girl...

That sucks.  I once did an interview with a 5 person panel (I was the interviewee).  I didn't fold like a table at a Bills tailgate, but it certainly threw me off my game a little.

On 2/1/2020 at 6:13 PM, Gray Beard said:

We’re a startup in SF.  Kid I interviewed the other day wore a suit.  And it was badly in need of dry cleaning.

The interview went downhill from there, and ended quickly.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

We’re a startup in SF.  Kid I interviewed the other day wore a suit.  And it was badly in need of dry cleaning.

One of my favorite things about my wife is how she takes young people under her wing. Her giant bank came up with the idea to develop the next generation of leaders rather than having to hire older (expensive) guys to replace those with pending retirements. Develop the “kids” in their 20’s and 30’s to replace the gang in their 50’s and 60’s. Before they formed committees and such, someone said,  “ahh, someone already has the whole thing built and is using it out of Atlanta. Just call her.” 

She is the same way with her younger crowd than she is with our own son. One of the first things she teaches them is “don’t dress for the job you have, dress for the job you want.” Everyone makes fun of these “kids” for doing so, but a few have moved on to do amazing stuff. It’s really VERY cool. I’ll miss her when she goes to heaven and I....... never mind. Maybe she gets a buddy pass? 

Edited by Augie

9 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Was the suit dirty and nasty or did it just look like it had been hanging in a closet for a year or two?

If it looks like was just hanging, that's really not a big deal these days.  Other than job interviews, weddings, and funerals, most people under 50 don't regularly wear suits

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, /dev/null said:

Was the suit dirty and nasty or did it just look like it had been hanging in a closet for a year or two?

If it looks like was just hanging, that's really not a big deal these days.  Other than job interviews, weddings, and funerals, most people under 50 don't regularly wear suits