The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

2 hours ago, Gene Frenkle said:

My recent posts have been quotes from the doc and literally nothing more. If you don't like these quotes and they upset you, we have that in common. As far as I know, FDR had no warning about the attack on Pearl Harbor. If he did, and then dragged his heels on a response, your comparison would be more spot on.

If I'm less pleasant than usual about this, it's because I'm angry at the bungling. Screw China and their cover-up as well. I'm stuck at home like everyone else and want this to go away just like everyone else. If you believe Fauci, who has zero reason to lie, this means that Trump had actionable information and advice early on that he chose to ignore, likely causing this economic shutdown to last longer than it need to. IMHO, instead of looking at this as a leftist attack on Trump, you should be angry too, as it affects us all.

There's a time for retrsopection, to analyze what went right and what went wrong.  Thereafter, as we all know, we can trust government to put a program in place to deal with future pandemics.  When in doubt, there is always another tax to be added, another trust fund to raid, and another crisis not to be wasted.

I find it a gigantic waste of time to performer a retrospective using sound bytes from anyone mid-crisis.  You have indicated that Dr. Fauci has zero reason to lie, and I guess the implication is that everyone else does.  If I was pondering that question, I guess I'd want to know why, when Trump did act, it took governor Gov Cuomo so long to act for the people of NY, and why when he closed off Mt. Vernon, he didnt act more quickly in cordoning off NYC, or set a line in the sand at the northern edge of Westchester County.  Moving backwards, had Trump acted two weeks earlier, and based on your thoughts, I'm thinking you would have supported a total shutdown of...everything, across the 50 states?  

At the same time, I would wonder if the US had been locked down 2, 3 or 4 weeks earlier, and by that I mean a real lockdown, how many people would have been impacted adversely given one less month of saving, one less month of shopping and preparing, one less month of income?  Given the run on essentials as the shutdown was phased in, what might it all have looked like with that sort of lockdown?  Would a run on the banks have occurred?  Civil unrest?  Chaos?  

Finally, the economic impact on those not susceptible to most severe impacts of the virus, the non-vulnerable among the citizenry...what might the impact of an early lockdown been on their psyche?  We already see signs of both governmental overreach and a willingness to push thr envelope, what might that have looked like? 

I appreciate your confidence in Dr. Fauci's integrity, personally I don't ever trust anyone that completely when acting in a political or quasi-political role.  I think he's done a good job walking the nation through this, but 30 days ago I couldn't pick him out of a crowd and couldn't tell you a thing about him.  Still, he said what I would hope a man in his position would say "...it's complicated".  That's the understatement of forever. 

Sincere best wishes to you and yours, and a hope we get back to some version of normal soon.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, meazza said:

This is a fake headline.  I watched the interview.  

Of course the media would love to create drama between Trump and the task force.

I watched the interview as well. That headline was absolutely about creating a tone that didn't exist in the interview. Typically intentional, misleading, and irresponsible.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Gene Frenkle said:

Are they fake quotes too? It's the BBC, a relatively neutral rag. Read what the man said and tell me again how it's fake news.

It’s logical to say that America would have saved lives by shutting down sooner but that’s a fake headline in the sense that shutting down a country a month before anyone really knew what was going to happen is just relying on hindsight.  No one would have accepted this kind of action.  If you follow what happened in Italy or France for example when they first got hit, the government for quickly implemented restrictions and it was quickly ignored by the general population.

Same thing in Montreal for example.  I had colleagues on March 13th saying we should all get a beer during the lockdown as this was just an overreaction who definitely don’t believe the same thing now.

Thinking that a western society would have accepted acting sooner when all they had as evidence was Asia is not realistic. 

12 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I watched the interview as well. That headline was absolutely about creating a tone that didn't exist in the interview. Typically intentional, misleading, and irresponsible.

Exactly.  Even the considered competent leaders such as macron and Trudeau waited too long.

Shutting down too early would have irked the population. USA isn’t China and you would have had full pushback in February.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Listen to this song while the adults do the talking.   

I'm worried.  That's actually Bobby McFerrin, not Bob Marley.

5 hours ago, Pilsner said:

NYC Doctor Cameron Kyle-Sidell says they are treating the wrong disease.

“I am a physician who has been working at the bedside of COVID+ patients in NYC. I believe we are treating the wrong disease and that we must change what we are doing if we want to save as many lives as possible.”

“In February, South Korean physicians reported that critical Covid-19 patients responded well to oxygen therapy without a ventilator. Patients are getting multiple organ damage from hypoxia. It’s not the pneumonia that’s the killer, it’s the cellular oxygen deprivation. And we are hurting these patients with ventilators.”

https://www.citizenfreepress.com/breaking/nyc-icu-doctor-sounds-the-alarm-we-are-treating-covid-patients-incorrectly/

I wonder if anyone has tried hyperbaric oxygen?  It's used to treat carbon monoxide poisoning, which is akin to this, i.e. hemoglobin (Hgb) being prevented from delivering oxygen to tissues (CO replaces O2 in Hgb whereas the virus prevents its release).  Hyperbaric oxygen drives more O2 into plasma and bypasses Hgb.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Doc said:

I wonder if anyone has tried hyperbaric oxygen?  It's used to treat carbon monoxide poisoning, which is akin to this, i.e. hemoglobin (Hgb) being prevented from delivering oxygen to tissues (CO replaces O2 in Hgb whereas the virus prevents its release).  Hyperbaric oxygen drives more O2 into plasma and bypasses Hgb.

Yes. But we have limited hyperbaric chambers. 

Understanding the mechanism is an early step in treatment so at least we are there in the fight to make progress. 

Edited by shoshin

5 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Yes. But we have limited hyperbaric chambers. 

Understanding the mechanism is an early step in treatment so at least we are there in the fight to make progress. 

Yes...what?  They've tried it?

20 minutes ago, Doc said:

Ya just saying every post of his about Trump how poorly he does. And gets worried or hair on fire from it. Ya definitely worried about the virus. 

Wow didn't look into that. Still a good song from Bobby McFerrin. Like it here people really research deeper stuff and helps me out. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Ya just saying every post of his about Trump how poorly he does. And gets worried or hair on fire from it. Ya definitely worried about the virus. 

Wow didn't look into that. Still a good song from Bobby McFerrin. Like it here people really research deeper stuff and helps me out. 

Yeah, I got the joke.  I just wanted to see if Bobby McFerrin did a cover of a Marley song since Marley died before that song came out.  When I played it, it was McFerrin.  And didn't have to do any research.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yes...what?  They've tried it?

At least one ongoing study and lots of conversation about it among health care systems because it floods O2. The treatment teams know this is an oxygen issue and have been trying all the analogous solutions for other oxygen deprivation related conditions. 

HCQ is being tried because malaria destroys  hemoglobin so there is some hope that a drug that works that pathway effectively against a hemoglobin goblin (!) might work here. A shot in the dark but everyone is trying anything they can think of. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, meazza said:

It’s logical to say that America would have saved lives by shutting down sooner but that’s a fake headline in the sense that shutting down a country a month before anyone really knew what was going to happen is just relying on hindsight.  No one would have accepted this kind of action.  If you follow what happened in Italy or France for example when they first got hit, the government for quickly implemented restrictions and it was quickly ignored by the general population.

Same thing in Montreal for example.  I had colleagues on March 13th saying we should all get a beer during the lockdown as this was just an overreaction who definitely don’t believe the same thing now.

Thinking that a western society would have accepted acting sooner when all they had as evidence was Asia is not realistic. 

Exactly.  Even the considered competent leaders such as macron and Trudeau waited too long.

Shutting down too early would have irked the population. USA isn’t China and you would have had full pushback in February.

Well said. There is plenty of accurate information regarding the timeline of how all this unfolded since the first statement from the WHO on December 31st. The question is, "When would an objective, reasonable person have acted, and to what degree, given the information available to him/her at that time?" 

The fact that no country outside of South Korea acted any quicker or with any stronger actions should tell you how people around the world, outside of China and South Korea were actually viewing COVID-19. People can dissect it any way they want now, looking at the behavior of the world reveals what they believed at the time.

Hindsight is always 20/20 to the reasonable - and tunnel vision to those with an agenda.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, shoshin said:

At least one ongoing study and lots of conversation about it among health care systems because it floods O2. The treatment teams know this is an oxygen issue and have been trying all the analogous solutions for other oxygen deprivation related conditions. 

HCQ is being tried because malaria destroys  hemoglobin so there is some hope that a drug that works that pathway effectively against a hemoglobin goblin (!) might work here. A shot in the dark but everyone is trying anything they can think of. 

Good to hear.

As for HCQ, the mechanism of action I've heard is that it opens zinc channels which allows zinc to enter and inhibit reverse transcriptase.

• Thank you (+1) 2