The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Dangerous Covid variants could set back national progress against the pandemic, officials warn

(CNN)With declining rates of Covid-19 infections and deaths across the US, more cities and states have lifted safety restrictions in anticipation of a better summer.

But officials continue to warn that those unvaccinated remain vulnerable to the virus, especially to dangerous variants which could set back national progress against the pandemic if they become more widespread.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/11/health/us-coronavirus-friday/index.html

tenor.gif

From same article:

"California is turning the page on this pandemic, thanks to swift action by the state and the work of Californians who followed public health guidelines and got vaccinated to protect themselves and their communities," Newsom said.

The state will stop limiting capacity and enforcing physical distancing at venues, and the color-coded tier system for regions will be retired, a release from the governor's office stated.

Public health measures will remain only for events with 5,000 or more people indoors or 10,000 attendees outdoors. Vaccine verification will be required or at least recommended, according to a revised health order set for Tuesday.

So actually......no California you have not turned the page on the pandemic.

Edited by Big Blitz

On 6/12/2021 at 6:35 AM, All_Pro_Bills said:

While I still don't see any conclusive evidence that vaccine immunity is "better" than natural immunity and therefore recovered COVID patients should still get vaccinated this is how the scientific method of discovery is supposed to work.  It can be applied to a lot of things but in this case COVID.  I or someone else, presents some position or conclusion and others provide and present information, data, or facts that may support, change, or invalidate the initial argument or conclusion.  That's how we arrive at sound and prudent decisions and policies.  That's how "experts" both inside and outside government and the medical community should be interacting.  But that's not what's happening.  We get edicts from high up that appear to conflict or contradict previous announcement without any explanation or reason why the "official" policy has changed.  And anyone that disagrees with the now established and inflexible official position is dismissed or ignored.  That's not the science method.  That's an idealistic approach to making medical decisions.    

One other thing I might add is we don't know how long either vaccinated or natural immunity might last but have accurate and easy COVID antibody tests that can provide anyone with the ability to know what types and amount of antibodies they have in their system.  Both from natural and vaccinated immunity.  Knowing this for yourself might be a good piece of information to have when evaluating your specific situation.   

It is but proof vaccination is easier to track.  It's a data point combined with new cases, hospitalizations, deaths, etc.. that make easy to analyze when making policy decisions.  Most only see that Cleveland Clinic study as useful in that if there's a scarcity of supply then they shouldn't be given top priority.  Since supply outweighs demand right now it's useless information to most of them.  If I'm a doctor I'd much rather have a person who gets both natural immunity on top of vaccine immunity.

I asked my primary doctor if she's worried about the unforeseen side effects of the approved Covid vaccine and she said he's more worried about getting struck by lightning on her morning jog.  Very anecdotal it's representative of the majority of the medical community as a whole (including those who work for the CDC) when it comes to the Covid vaccines.  

8 hours ago, unbillievable said:

This is good?

Unvaccinnated people are getting immunity directly from the virus!

Unvaccinated people who get Covid spread it to others, putting them at risk and those they spread to. The vaccine cuts off the transmission chain. 

The immunity appears robust from both (some indications that those who had it can get more immunity from a single shot) but this is about stopping the spread. 

For that, advantage Vaccines. 

10 hours ago, BillStime said:

Shocker

But vaccinated people have died from COVID.  Virtually, I say this.  And more people have died from adverse side effects from the COVID vaccines than all deaths from all other vaccines administered in the past 25 years.  If this was a "normal" time the CDC would most surely stop the vaccinations.  But its not so the "safe and effective" narrative continues to get played. 

Here's the other thing.  About 1/2 of all workers at the CDC have declined to get vaccinated.  The CDC.  Think about what that means.  These are not uninformed, uneducated hillbillies running around touting conspiracy theories.  These are medical professionals that are among the most informed about COVID and the vaccines.  So what exactly is their concern?  Wouldn't it be beneficial to listen to what they have to say?  Rather than flippantly dismiss anyone with a concern.  Same thing with a large number of first responders and hospital workers that have been on the front lines since the beginning of the pandemic.  Why are they, once again, among the most informed hesitant to get vaccinated?  Its not because they are uninformed.  Quite the opposite.  Its because they are informed.  Instead of just swallowing the official message hook, line, and sinker maybe people need to start doing some thinking for themselves?  And start asking critical questions to official and experts and demanding answers not just more double-speak and evasive slogans.  

As for me I thought long and hard about it but eventually decided to get vaccinated with my second shot about 3 weeks ago.  But that doesn't mean I accept the idea there's no risk to it.  I just decided to roll the dice.  Like the rest of you that got vaccinated whether you realize that or want to accept that there is a risk.  When you got vaccinated with these Moderna or Pfizer gene therapy experimental vaccines you took that risk just like I did.  If you want to pretend or believe or fool yourself into thinking there's no risk then that's your choice.  

35 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

But vaccinated people have died from COVID.  Virtually, I say this.  And more people have died from adverse side effects from the COVID vaccines than all deaths from all other vaccines administered in the past 25 years.  If this was a "normal" time the CDC would most surely stop the vaccinations.  But its not so the "safe and effective" narrative continues to get played. 

Here's the other thing.  About 1/2 of all workers at the CDC have declined to get vaccinated.  The CDC.  Think about what that means.  These are not uninformed, uneducated hillbillies running around touting conspiracy theories.  These are medical professionals that are among the most informed about COVID and the vaccines.  So what exactly is their concern?  Wouldn't it be beneficial to listen to what they have to say?  Rather than flippantly dismiss anyone with a concern.  Same thing with a large number of first responders and hospital workers that have been on the front lines since the beginning of the pandemic.  Why are they, once again, among the most informed hesitant to get vaccinated?  Its not because they are uninformed.  Quite the opposite.  Its because they are informed.  Instead of just swallowing the official message hook, line, and sinker maybe people need to start doing some thinking for themselves?  And start asking critical questions to official and experts and demanding answers not just more double-speak and evasive slogans.  

As for me I thought long and hard about it but eventually decided to get vaccinated with my second shot about 3 weeks ago.  But that doesn't mean I accept the idea there's no risk to it.  I just decided to roll the dice.  Like the rest of you that got vaccinated whether you realize that or want to accept that there is a risk.  When you got vaccinated with these Moderna or Pfizer gene therapy experimental vaccines you took that risk just like I did.  If you want to pretend or believe or fool yourself into thinking there's no risk then that's your choice.  

Just to point out some fallacies here, even though I've been trying to stay away from this side of the board due to the nut cases around here:

1.  It is not gene therapy.  The mRNA vaccines and the J&J do not alter your DNA at all.  Your DNA is the source of your genes, not your mRNA.  the mRNA never enters the nucleus of the cell where the DNA resides. That is simple biologic fact.

2.  The risk, if any, with these vaccines is extraordinarily minimal.  The only two of record are the increase in blood clots with the J and J (about 7 per million - very low), and the incidence of myocarditis seen first in young men in Israel with the mRNA, almost all of which resolve quickly without medial intervention and likely related to the initial immune response.  Historically vaccine risks are very rare and normally occur within weeks, not years down the road.

3.  The claim that more people have died from vaccines is wrong.  It is based on the VAERS data base which lists deaths from any cause after being vaccinated.  These claims are followed up on by the CDC and the FDA and the vast majority of them are due to other causes than the vaccine.

4.  The claim that only half of workers at the CDC have been vaccinate is misleading.  See the following: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2021/05/30/fact-check-fauci-didnt-say-cdc-fda-staff-refusing-covid-19-vaccine/7474372002/

I'm glad you got your vaccination.  And it is truly vaccination, to head off another popular fallacy that gets spread way too often.  The Pfizer and Moderna should receive formal FDA approval any day; they have been given to millions of patients now, they have shown tremendous effectiveness and as pointed out above minimal side effects.  Once they are approved, the fools that would rather die than get vaccinated will need to find another excuse. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

I was reading up on the origins of that expression the other day.  It’s been shortened to accommodate the busy lives people lead these days.  The original expression was:

When you lock a horse in its stall for 14 months, deprive it of the ability to thrive, tell him its for his and the greater good but allow him to watch other horses roam about freely and without consequence in support of horsecial justice while telling him to pay no mind to that sort of thing, and then he finds out maybe just maybe you weren’t being completely honest with him about what caused some to be locked down to begin with, maybe the horse won’t trust you when you assure him it’s perfectly safe to drink when he isn’t thirsty to begin with. 

I think I saw it on wiki, so it’s a stone fact. 

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Just to point out some fallacies here, even though I've been trying to stay away from this side of the board due to the nut cases around here:

1.  It is not gene therapy.  The mRNA vaccines and the J&J do not alter your DNA at all.  Your DNA is the source of your genes, not your mRNA.  the mRNA never enters the nucleus of the cell where the DNA resides. That is simple biologic fact.

2.  The risk, if any, with these vaccines is extraordinarily minimal.  The only two of record are the increase in blood clots with the J and J (about 7 per million - very low), and the incidence of myocarditis seen first in young men in Israel with the mRNA, almost all of which resolve quickly without medial intervention and likely related to the initial immune response.  Historically vaccine risks are very rare and normally occur within weeks, not years down the road.

3.  The claim that more people have died from vaccines is wrong.  It is based on the VAERS data base which lists deaths from any cause after being vaccinated.  These claims are followed up on by the CDC and the FDA and the vast majority of them are due to other causes than the vaccine.

4.  The claim that only half of workers at the CDC have been vaccinate is misleading.  See the following: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2021/05/30/fact-check-fauci-didnt-say-cdc-fda-staff-refusing-covid-19-vaccine/7474372002/

I'm glad you got your vaccination.  And it is truly vaccination, to head off another popular fallacy that gets spread way too often.  The Pfizer and Moderna should receive formal FDA approval any day; they have been given to millions of patients now, they have shown tremendous effectiveness and as pointed out above minimal side effects.  Once they are approved, the fools that would rather die than get vaccinated will need to find another excuse. 

People still quoting that VAERS data tells you what you need to know about critical thinking. The rest of his "conclusions" are in a similar vein. 

10 hours ago, Governor said:

That must be an embarrassing hospital visit.

Why didn’t you get vaccinated?

Patient. Political reasons.

Well that was stupid wasn’t it?

"Now let's contact trace and see who you exposed." 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2021/05/17/how-a-history-of-lies-paved-the-way-to-vaccine-hesitancy-for-african-americans/%3foutputType=amp

Fools?