The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

CDC's 'best estimate' is 40 percent COVID-19 infections are asymptomatic

A person with COVID-19 is still 'likely to infect' 2.5 other people

By Chris Ciaccia | Fox News

In updated guidance, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said its "best estimate" is that 40 percent of people infected with COVID-19 are asymptomatic.

In the update, posted July 10, the CDC said the basic reproduction number or the number of people one person "is likely to infect" is 2.5, and the infectiousness level of asymptomatic people is 75 percent, relative to symptomatic patients.

The government agency added a new part to its report, an "Infection Fatality Ratio," which "takes into account both symptomatic and asymptomatic cases and may therefore be a more directly measurable parameter for disease severity for COVID-19." The new metric states that 0.65 percent of those with COVID-19 are estimated to die.

In late May, the CDC estimated that 35 percent of patients could be asymptomatic, Fox News previously reported. In April, the CDC estimated some 25 percent of cases could be asymptomatic.

Asymptomatic COVID-19 patients are of great concern to public health officials and lawmakers due to their ability to spread the virus without knowing they're sick themselves.

In June, an official from the World Health Organization said that spread from asymptomatic patients appeared to be "very rare." The comments were walked back a few days later following criticism from many in the scientific community, including Dr. Anthony Fauci, who said the statement was "not correct."

https://www.foxnews.com/science/cdc-best-estimate-40-percent-covid-19-infections-asymptomatic

40 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

how is online school a disaster? 

Well, at several districts in our area this past school year when they went to online classes, about 30% of the students according to my teacher friends actually were logged into lessons and/or completed their work.  The schools went to a no fail and in some cases no grades at all policy.  Now maybe with more preparation it will get a lot better this fall. 

11 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

Now maybe with more preparation it will get a lot better this fall. 

That is the hope, but I'm not seeing it from many districts' plans.  They are truly in a bind because there are so many inconsistent and conflicting directives that make it impossible to properly plan for next year.  

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

And this just in, 5 months later, I STILL don't know anyone with COVID, nor do I know anyone who knows anyone else with COVID.

What a pandemic.

I know 5 people and I live in WNY and not in buffalo 

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Welp, all I can tell you is none of them ever tested positive for it.

I had the Chinese Flu. It was a bad flu. And my dear friend committed suicide due to lockdown. So I want nothing more than to hold the extended lockdown people responsible. I blame them.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 4

7 minutes ago, LB3 said:

I had the Chinese Flu. It was a bad flu. And my dear friend committed suicide due to lockdown. So I want nothing more than to hold the extended lockdown people responsible. I blame them.

I MAY have had it in February, had a horrible cough, fever and chills. But since it was before the great Kung flu panic, we'll never know.

2 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I MAY have had it in February, had a horrible cough, fever and chills. But since it was before the great Kung flu panic, we'll never know.

I was tested   My friend is gone because he couldn't take it anymore.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Remember when this was about 14 days to "flatten the curve?"

In a long list of dumb things Trump said, that's up there. 

23 minutes ago, bilzfancy said:

Has there been any data on people getting infected more then once?

No data. Some sporadic reports. Safe to put that concern well on the backburner. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bilzfancy said:

Has there been any data on people getting infected more then once?

2 things about this... First, if there were, it would be the top story on every news channel because they couldn't help but to sensationalize it. Second, it sounds like they have been experimenting with platelets from people who have beaten it as a cure. That would be worthless if people didn't build an immunity. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Cinga said:

For the latest weekly update on the death toll from Rona. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/index.html

What this chart shows is that we have achieved NORMALCY so enough of this fear bullschiff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This graph shows pneumonia and influenza (P&I) mortality data provided to CDC by the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) Mortality Reporting System.

Trumpster and his evil R henchmen are fudging the death numbers.  I hear Florida is hiding the dead in sinkholes.

3 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

And this just in, 5 months later, I STILL don't know anyone with COVID, nor do I know anyone who knows anyone else with COVID.

What a pandemic.

Shocker....not a lot of friends huh?

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, 123719bwiqrb said:

Trumpster and his evil R henchmen are fudging the death numbers.  I hear Florida is hiding the dead in sinkholes.

Well, it's still burying them ain't it?

digging triple h GIF by WWE

4 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Needs to be a criminal investigation if they've told Doctors to stop prescribing HCQ. 

Why?  It has marginal, if any, efficacy here.  It’s kind of like a hoax treatment for the “hoax” virus.  

4 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

And this was a "well-managed" state. Notice how the "well-managed" states all have the highest death totals?

Because they're so "well-managed."

It’s a real stunner that Cali has more deaths than Wyoming.