The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 hour ago, Kemp said:

I disagree totally with your opening statement.

However, I am unclear why the best solution to the problem might not be to open up society with the proviso that everyone must wear masks when outside of their own private property.

The argument that that would remove individual freedom is wrong, because it's the same thing as the notion that you have the right to punch, but that right stops at someone else's face. 

People refusing to wear a mask are putting many others at risk and removing their freedom to go outside.

Isn't someone who refuses to wear a mask under the current conditions incredibly selfish. It's an attitude of screw you, I am all that matters.

Why wouldn't this be a fair compromise that would get the economy moving quickly and helping to keep the vulnerable safe?

Your party fights to the death to maintain the absolute right to abortions and yet you want the rest of us to believe

your nonsense of saving the old and the sick ...nothing but orangemanbad seething underneath all this.

democrats care about nothing besides power.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

And over in Jolly Ole England...

Government scientist Neil Ferguson resigns after breaking lockdown rules to meet his married lover

Prof Ferguson allowed the woman to visit him at home during the lockdown while lecturing the public on the need for strict social distancing

The scientist whose advice prompted Boris Johnson to lockdown Britain resigned from his government advisory position on Tuesday night as the Telegraph can reveal he broke social distancing rules to meet his married lover.

Professor Neil Ferguson allowed the woman to visit him at home during the lockdown while lecturing the public on the need for strict social distancing to reduce the spread of coronavirus. The woman lives with her husband and their children in another house.

The epidemiologist leads a team at Imperial College London that produced the computer-modelled research prompting the national lockdown, which claimed more than 500,000 Britons would die without it.

Prof Ferguson has frequently taken to the media to support the lockdown and praised the “very intensive social distancing” measures.

</snip>

On at least two occasions, Antonia Staats, 38, travelled across London from her home in the south of the capital to spend time with the Government scientist, nicknamed Professor Lockdown.

The 51-year-old had only just finished a two-week spell self-isolating after testing positive for coronavirus.

</snip>

Prof Ferguson sat on Sage, whose advice has guided the government response during the pandemic, as well as the New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group (NERVTAG), which advises the Chief Medical Officer and the Department of Health.

</snip>

This is why men are so confused these days.  You women all want to get so yappity-dappity when the poor bastard forgets to pick up flowers on Valentines day, but when a guy who just happened to shut down a hemisphere needs to see his lady, to share his feelings and just talk...he's the subject of mockery.  Men hurt too. 

I guess when you are all self-sufficient and can skin your own goats, no room for romance anymore, huh BG?  #sad

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

I will have to agree to disagree here. The completely natural act of breathing ( we do this is our sleep) cannot be compared with a punch to the face. Individual rights and freedoms are paramount, not selfish. Branding individual liberties as selfish is the first step on the road to tyranny. Nature and life are inherently unfair, maybe even cruel. While one’s own individual health scenario may be limiting ones own freedom to an extent, forcing those limits on all others selfish. It is fine to want what others have, but not to take from others what we don’t have for ourselves. We do not all have the same health risks and limits. That is the natural state of things. Government should see to it that our health system can care for those who get sick. It’s not up to government to ensure no one gets a virus. 

I know of no right to not wear a mask that would save many lives. I also understand that it is imperative to start the economy.

Masks don't stop you from breathing or every surgeon would be dead. Some people don't want to be bothered, to me pales against killing others who simply wish to not be shut-ins.

In extraordinary times, you can't just tell seniors and the compromised tough luck. 

Before we made places handicap-accessible, the same attitude prevailed. Should we remove ramps and say screw-em to the handicapped?

They say you can judge a society by how it treats the weakest among them. I agree with that.

Asking people to temporarily wear face masks is not torture and it's certainly not at the level of making people risk their lives for merely going outside.

• Like (+1) 1

Domestic COVID-19 deaths now exceed American deaths in the Vietnam War.  The percentage of workforce unemployed likely is higher now than it was during the Great Depression.  In spite of all of that, today we received this message from the President of the United States:

“Wow! Congratulations to Greg Gutfeld, a one time Trump Hater who has come all the way home. His Ratings easily beat no talent Stephen Colbert, nice guy Jimmy Fallon, and wacko ‘last placer’ Jimmy Kimmel. Greg built his show from scratch, and did a great job in doing so.” 

This.  Is. Freaking. Nuts.  

3 minutes ago, Kemp said:

I know of no right to not wear a mask that would save many lives. I also understand that it is imperative to start the economy.

Masks don't stop you from breathing or every surgeon would be dead. Some people don't want to be bothered, to me pales against killing others who simply wish to not be shut-ins.

In extraordinary times, you can't just tell seniors and the compromised tough luck. 

Before we made places handicap-accessible, the same attitude prevailed. Should we remove ramps and say screw-em to the handicapped?

They say you can judge a society by how it treats the weakest among them. I agree with that.

Asking people to temporarily wear face masks is not torture and it's certainly not at the level of making people risk their lives for merely going outside.

Over 46,000,000 abortions since 1970. Do they count?

2 hours ago, Reality Check said:

Dr. Anthony Fauci, whose “expert” advice to President Trump has resulted in the complete shutdown of the greatest economic engine in world history, has known since 2005 that chloroquine is an effective inhibitor of coronaviruses.

How did he know this? Because of research done by the National Institutes of Health, of which he is the director. In connection with the SARS outbreak – caused by a coronavirus dubbed SARS- CoV – the NIH researched chloroquine and concluded that it was effective at stopping the SARS coronavirus in its tracks. The COVID-19 bug is likewise a coronavirus, labeled SARS-CoV-2. While not exactly the same virus as SARS-CoV-1, it is genetically related to it, and shares 79% of its genome, as the name SARS-CoV-2 implies. They both use the same host cell receptor, which is what viruses use to gain entry to the cell and infect the victim.

The Virology Journal – the official publication of Dr. Fauci’s National Institutes of Health – published what is now a blockbuster article on August 22, 2005, under the heading – get ready for this – “Chloroquine is a potent inhibitor of SARS coronavirus infection and spread.” (Emphasis mine throughout.) Write the researchers, “We report…that chloroquine has strong antiviral effects on SARS-CoV infection of primate cells. These inhibitory effects are observed when the cells are treated with the drug either before or after exposure to the virus, suggesting both prophylactic and therapeutic advantage.”

17 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Domestic COVID-19 deaths now exceed American deaths in the Vietnam War.  The percentage of workforce unemployed likely is higher now than it was during the Great Depression.  In spite of all of that, today we received this message from the President of the United States:

“Wow! Congratulations to Greg Gutfeld, a one time Trump Hater who has come all the way home. His Ratings easily beat no talent Stephen Colbert, nice guy Jimmy Fallon, and wacko ‘last placer’ Jimmy Kimmel. Greg built his show from scratch, and did a great job in doing so.” 

This.  Is. Freaking. Nuts.  

Nuts?

What does a TV show have to do with a virus and what does a 19 year war in which our country chose to fight have to do with it either?  Wrong thread by you possibly?

Let's include some discussion about meteors crashing into earth, for that could kill many millions.  Time for Trump to get out in front of that one so to speak?

https://www.businessinsider.com/nasa-threat-of-meteor-crashing-into-earth-is-bigger-than-you-think-2019-5

18 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

You keep quoting that study like it's relevant to SARS-COV-2. That the SARS-Cov and SARS CoV-2 share 79% of their genomes doesn't mean a lot. We share 98% of the chimp DNA, 80% with a dog, and 65% with a friggin' chicken.

Fauci would well know that many applications of chloroquine have proven INEFFECTIVE after promising initial studies. Chloroquine has been, many times, studied as a possible miracle cure for a virus (look at some of the early ebola studies and also HIV) only to have it fail miserably. So every time a scientist hears an anecdote about it, or a test tube study, their skepticism is the result of them having seen this story before. 

It is still being used widely if stories are right but if it was really effective, there would be solid studies to show it by now, and there aren't. That's a bummer because we could use any help we can get, especially from a cheap and well-known drug. 

Edited by shoshin

Just now, shoshin said:

You keep quoting that study like it's relevant to SARS-COV-2. That the SARS-Cov and SARS CoV-2 share 79% of their genomes doesn't mean a lot. We share 98% of the chimp DNA, 80% with a dog, and 65% with a friggin' chicken.

Fauci would well know that many applications of chloroquine have proven INEFFECTIVE after promising initial studies. 

Think for yourself bro.  Clearly someone is thinking for themselves if they parrot, word for word, another source for which they trust such as Reality Check.  

1 hour ago, jrober38 said:

Sure, but the biggest thing they railed the previous administration on has been Trump's biggest failure.

He took a $550 billion deficit and turned it into $1.1 trillion in three years, all while the economy was absolutely on fire. 

You have your best year ever, and instead of saving for a rainy day and paying off some of your debts, you double the deficit. Complete stupidity. 

This administrations fiscal policy has been nothing short of a complete disaster. 

You lost me when you tried to suggest that Trump didn't have a conservative Senate and House from 2017-19.

What a complete load of crap.

MILLIONS WILL DIE!

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Fauci would well know that many applications of chloroquine have proven INEFFECTIVE after promising initial studies. 

These viruses are RNA only not DNA. Your comparison is ridiculous. Learn the difference between RNA and DNA, then reevaluate your reasoning from scratch. Then we can take this conversation to another level.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, jrober38 said:

Sure, but the biggest thing they railed the previous administration on has been Trump's biggest failure.

He took a $550 billion deficit and turned it into $1.1 trillion in three years, all while the economy was absolutely on fire. 

You have your best year ever, and instead of saving for a rainy day and paying off some of your debts, you double the deficit. Complete stupidity. 

This administrations fiscal policy has been nothing short of a complete disaster. 

You lost me when you tried to suggest that Trump didn't have a conservative Senate and House from 2017-19.

What a complete load of crap.

=====================================================================================================

double space?

All these bots/karens yelling at everyone, lol

Edited by Albwan
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, meazza said:

Think for yourself bro.  Clearly someone is thinking for themselves if they parrot, word for word, another source for which they trust such as Reality Check.  

When I give my opinion, you dismiss it as an uneducated opinion. When I give information that you can verify on your own, now I am a parrot. You didn't even pick up on the fact that he equated RNA with DNA. How did GP 120, patented by Fauci, making up of12% of the total RNA sequence, get into this new virus? Released from a lab that Fauci does business with in Wuhan. Some people are the definition of the word sheep.