The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I've often said I would pay up for new Disney animated movie releases I can watch at home, instead of going into theaters. If you have kids + parent, $20 ($30, heck $40 can be) is much cheaper than going to a theater.   There are some movies that are just better seen on a huge screen, however.

@Deranged Rhino  what are you hearing from your buddies in Tinseltown? You had mentioned theaters were in trouble before the shutdown, think they come back? And who needs who more right now? Universal or AMC?

Yup.  With 3 kids and making my own popcorn, it was about 1/2 price.  And the couch was much more comfortable for dozing off than a movie theatre seat.

1 hour ago, GG said:

Of course it's not the first time, and was the reason Cuomo blew his lid and announced $1k fines for future violations.  Yet, this funeral still went on with NYPD's and community affairs blessing and zero arrests, fines or tickets issued.  You'd figure that if people behaved in a way that NYPD wasn't prepared for, there would be consequences.  Sounds like NYPD was prepared for what happened.

But everyone is missing the most important factor in this.  It certainly looks like the Hassids have developed herd immunity already.  It's showing more like Seattle than the rest of NYC so far.

One would figure that a close knit insular community that still lives under 19th century rules would be dropping like flies, like it was early on.   But in the last 2-3 weeks, the infection rates have declined.  The data is consistent in Boro Park, Williamsburg, Crown Heights, Orange and Rockland Counties and Ocean County NJ, where you should have seen ongoing spikes in infections and deaths.  But it's not happening.  

It is not my theory.  It was a direct quote from a community leader who said that the event was coordinated with NYPD and community affairs.

Lazy & intellectually dishonest.

And yet you failed to state that point earlier.   Unfortunately I have no choice but to take this step following this exchange.  You're on the hoax list.   

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

And yet you failed to state that point earlier.   Unfortunately I have no choice but to take this step following this exchange.  You're on the hoax list.   

I thought you stopped paying attention?

45 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Disinfectant “ travesty” ? Lol.... so much LSM drivel in here I don’t even know where to start. Pointless to even try, so congratulations on your allegiance to the Democratic Party. 

What's the drivel?  Trump said something profoundly stupid, then tried to pass it off as sarcasm, and then canceled a briefing (almost certainly on the advice of his aides and other members of the Republican Party who rightly recognized the damaging nature of the misstep) before holding the briefing in a different location where he controlled seating assignments and the prominence of positions given to reporters.  To my understanding, that control allowed Trump to relegate CNN to the back of the seating area.  

1 minute ago, GG said:

1 minute ago, GG said:

I did.  Then I started again.  Now I'm going to stop again for awhile.  Don't fret; you will have a chance to redeem yourself and get off of the "hoax" and "suspected 'prog facist'' " lists soon enough.   

27 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Yup.  With 3 kids and making my own popcorn, it was about 1/2 price.  And the couch was much more comfortable for dozing off than a movie theatre seat.

Yep. Don't have to deal with dirty restrooms and scary people at home as well.

4 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I did.  Then I started again.  Now I'm going to stop again for awhile.  Don't fret; you will have a chance to redeem yourself and get off of the "hoax" and "suspected 'prog facist'' " lists soon enough.   

I suggest you don't waste your few remaining brain cells.  Try Chlorox.

• Haha (+1) 2

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/29/coronavirus-testing-chief-says-no-way-on-earth-us-can-test-5-million-a-day.html

From the fake (presidential) news file.  I'll fill in the blanks for 5G and his ilk here: "But soon is a relative concept!  Dinosaurs were on the planet millions of years ago, so soon could be 10 or 20 or even 100 years from now!  And Trump is right again!  He never misspeaks! You're lazy & intellectually dishonest!"

1 minute ago, BillStime said:

More Americans have now been lost to the coronavirus pandemic over the past 2 months than were killed in the Vietnam war over 20 years.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29084d97f04ff8b53743

My lip-reading skills are bad, but I wonder if Pence mouthed, "It's his fault" to Birx.  

(Relax, it's a joke.)

Edited by SectionC3
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, BillStime said:

More Americans have now been lost to the coronavirus pandemic over the past 2 months than were killed in the Vietnam war over 20 years.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29084d97f04ff8b53743

Because a pandemic and a war a few generations apart make for an apt comparison?  Not from where any rational person is sitting.  

1 minute ago, BillStime said:

Perspective.

Someone will be held responsible...

Perspective is something that you are very lacking in.  The Chinese should be held responsible but we both know that will never happen so there is no point of spending any more time thinking about it.  

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Perspective is something that you are very lacking in.  The Chinese should be held responsible but we both know that will never happen so there is no point of spending any more time thinking about it.  

Nothing is going to happen to China and we all know it.  China OWNS the US.

Why China Is America's Biggest Banker

But we discovered early on that it is always someone else's fault for Trump administration.. His own intelligence reports knew about this issue in November and Trump failed to act.  The US could have been the global leader; but instead - praised China and the WHO; and then when it finally went from 15 cases to over a million (and not to zero like the stable geniuses claimed) - its now China's fault.

Such a loyal Trumphole, Rob - you got the GOPlaybook down pat.

17 minutes ago, BillStime said:

But we discovered early on that it is always someone else's fault for Trump administration.. His own intelligence reports knew about this issue in November and Trump failed to act.  The US could have been the global leader; but instead - praised China and the WHO; and then when it finally went from 15 cases to over a million (and not to zero like the stable geniuses claimed) - its now China's fault.

Get back to me when you want to have a serious and thoughtful discussion but for now we are done.  Bye.

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

Perspective is something that you are very lacking in.  The Chinese should be held responsible but we both know that will never happen so there is no point of spending any more time thinking about it.  

Maybe you're right about that.  But let's not pass the buck here.  

There's a principle in the law that there can be more than one proximate cause of an accident or event.  Even assuming (probably very safely), for the sake of argument, the the Chinese government bears responsibility for part of this mess, I struggle to see how it's unfair to say that the ineptitude of our own federal administration has not also contributed to the current predicament.  

Bottom line: fault here isn't an either or proposition.  Surely the Chinese government bears responsibility for what has happened.  But the fact that one government or one actor bears responsibility doesn't mean that another actor cannot also be culpable. 

Just now, Buffalo_Gal said:

This was an interesting compare and contrast this morning...

Indeed.  One unlikeable person who's actually accomplished something on his own and an equally unlikable person who hasn't done anything notable on his own.  

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, BillStime said:

China-US financial interaction predates the Trump Administration.  I really was not a fan during the Bush days.  Were you equally unimpressed during the Clinton and Obama years?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, meazza said:

If you go back there for a trip, are you automatically converted to poor again?

I hope not. Anybody have an answer to this?  When things clear up my first planned trip is a visit to my family in WNY. I don’t want to live in squalor like those poor poor people. 

Maybe it’s transmitted like Coronavirus? 

2 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

China-US financial interaction predates the Trump Administration.  I really was not a fan during the Bush days.  Were you equally unimpressed during the Clinton and Obama years?

but.....but.... it wasn't a problem when a Democrat was in the WH!!!