The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 minute ago, KD in CA said:

It's overdue, along with shutting down all modes of public transport.  If we're gonna do this, we need to go full out for a brief time rather than do what we're doing now for months on end.

California just did the whole state. I think they've known the numbers don't add up awhile now. Have to slow it down with drastic measures.

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.businessinsider.com/photos-trump-altered-coronavirus-to-chinese-virus-remarks-2020-3

Trump told reporters on Tuesday that he called the coronavirus the "Chinese virus" to hit back at the Chinese government for spreading the conspiracy theory that the American military was responsible for the initial outbreak in Wuhan, China, which is the epicenter of the crisis.

"I didn't appreciate the fact that China was saying that our military gave it to them," Trump said. "I think saying that our military gave it to them creates a stigma."

Agree with Trump here. 

• Like (+1) 3

THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE: A Global Level 4 Health Advisory. 

All Americans abroad told to come home. All Americans at home told not to plan international travel. “If you choose to travel internationally, your travel plans may be severely disrupted, and you may be forced to remain outside of the United States for an indefinite timeframe.”

Possibly related: Trump eyes grounding jets, halting stock trading, and ordering shelter in place. 

“European nations are also considering grounding passenger jets. . . . There are some internal government models that show that the number of people infected in the coming two months could reach over 5 million.”

And: “The moves were described as very seriously being discussed and not imminent. However, we were also told that decisions are moving fast at the top levels of the administration.”

Remember (like last week) when the standard criticism was that Trump wasn’t doing enough?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think we should tell the sick & elderly to seclude themselves and let everyone else get back to work.

Most elderly people don't work & can more easily quarantine themselves for weeks or months with little loss to the economy. 

With all the resources being dedicated/lost to this we could easily make accommodations for those who need assistance.

For the rest of us, some reasonable caution and social distance is sufficient. And if we do get the slant eyed sickness we'll just have to suck it up and deal with having flu like symptoms for a couple of weeks.

In the meantime, I'm happy to raid the stock market while the villagers cower in the cellar.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

47 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

I think we should tell the sick & elderly to seclude themselves and let everyone else get back to work.

Most elderly people don't work & can more easily quarantine themselves for weeks or months with little loss to the economy. 

With all the resources being dedicated/lost to this we could easily make accommodations for those who need assistance.

For the rest of us, some reasonable caution and social distance is sufficient. And if we do get the slant eyed sickness we'll just have to suck it up and deal with having flu like symptoms for a couple of weeks.

In the meantime, I'm happy to raid the stock market while the villagers cower in the cellar.

You do realize that not only old people are effected? I have a 25 year old niece just admitted to the hospital today because of this virus. Half my family is on lockdown. My sister and brother are both in quarantine for 14 days for flu like symptoms. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, westside2 said:

You do realize that not only old people are effected? I have a 25 year old niece just admitted to the hospital today because of this virus. Half my family is on lockdown. My sister and brother are both in quarantine for 14 days for flu like symptoms. 

Hope everyone is ok for everyone. Thoughts and prayers to everyone. Let me know if everyone is ok. 

• Like (+1) 6

10 minutes ago, westside2 said:

Hate to hear that, west.  Hoping for nothing but the best for you and your fam. 

• Like (+1) 6

12 minutes ago, westside2 said:

Unless she has a compromised immune system she should be fine. Hope she feels better soon.

Just now, Rob's House said:

Unless she has a compromised immune system she should be fine. Hope she feels better soon.

Thanks Rob, she actually has health problems she was born with. I apologize if I came off kind of mean to you. I didn't mean too. Just stressed out. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, westside2 said:

Thanks Rob, she actually has health problems she was born with. I apologize if I came off kind of mean to you. I didn't mean too. Just stressed out. 

These are stressful times. Prayers sent for you and yours.

• Like (+1) 3

California orders its nearly 40 million residents to stay home to prevent the spread of coronavirus

"We project that roughly 56% of our state's population -- 25.5 million people -- will be infected with the virus over an eight-week period," he said in a Wednesday letter to Trump asking him to send the USNS Mercy Hospital Ship to the port of Los Angeles for use through September 1.

Under the order, essential services such as gas stations, pharmacies, grocery stores, farmers markets, food banks, convenience stores and delivery restaurants will remain open. So will banks, local government offices that provide services and law enforcement agencies.

Nonessential services such as dine-in restaurants, bars, gyms and convention centers will shut down.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/us/california-coronavirus-stay-home-order/index.html

8 hours ago, westside2 said:

Positive vibes to your family.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Bakin said:

Fantastic news for the climatards. 
to make the Venice swamp clear, all you had to do was destroy the city!

There goes their 12-year doomsday clock. Greta's parents must be furious that no one cares about her anymore.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1